Games with a smart stealth/camouflage system that actually works

Apart from Snake Eater and Hitman, what other games implemented decent-to-good camouflage mechanics?

The only way this is possible is in multiplayer games, you don't program NPCs to be fooled by rendered camouflage.

(checked)
Wouldn't such a multiplayer gameplay based on sneaking and waiting get tedious without further stimuli? Maybe putting a time limit would help (or not)?

Splinter Cell and Thief?

Do you only play console garbage? There are plenty of multiplayer games where camouflage is useful.

Isn't that stealth "shadow based"? I'm talking about pattern camo that blends with the environment, the one that tricks the human brain.

(checked)
Define "plenty", dubsman.

There's the hiding mechanism in Live A Live's ninja chapter. You have a ninja cape you can hide under that blends into your surroundings.

I once watched a documentary once about the US Army sniper school. At the end of the training they did an exercise where a veteran sniper team was on a platform scanning a forest in front of them with binoculars. The new sniper teams would go out in full camouflage, one pair at a time, and try to get within range of the veterans without being spotted. I always thought that would make a cool multiplayer game, some sort of objective defense against a weaker opponent team trying to take shots at you while remaining cloaked under foliage.

mgo3 cloak and dagger mode. there was a time limit on it and it was fun as fuck but everyone played deathmatch and cheated so it died in like 3 months

PUBG

Bigger problem with multiplayer games is its too easy to cheat the game by fucking with the graphics settings.

Yeah this is the big problem for the games that try to implement sneaking and camo.

One of the solution is making low graphics models obscure more at lower settings. Imagine brush. At high LOD it resembles real brush, it has holes between twigs and you can somewhat see through it. At low LOD it becomes solid nontransparent cube (with twigs painted on it for artistic purposes) obscuring completely what is behind or inside it. And so on. Don't aware of games that do so.

cheatengine being popularized doesn't help either since any nigger that used to cheat in snes emulators can use it

When it comes to camouflage, MGS4's OctoCamo was massive upgrade over how they did it in MGS3. Just lay still for a while, and your OctoCamo copies the surrounding texture. Quick and intuitive! I like MGS3 and all, but its gameplay was repeatedly interrupted whenever you had to constantly bring up the menu to change your camo. (Or to eat food or to heal wounds.)

I remember watching some friends play that shit-tier failed MMO called Darkfall Online. It was supposed to be a fun PvP game. Except the PvP was literally "hide in bushes/grass, crawl slowly, backstab / shoot people in the back while hiding". It was pretty gay.

That doesn't solve the problem, ideally you would make it so that people who play on low settings, high settings or medium settings don't have a clear advantage over those who don't. Maybe have the game put you in rooms where everybody has overall the same game settings as you have, so if you have low settings, you get to play with other people who also have low settings, so even if the game doesn't render the bushes on low settings, or it make them into giant nontransparent cubes, if it's the same for everyone, then it's mostly fair.

I'd say the octocamo makes it too easy to blend in anywhere

It is difficult to reach ideal. With proposition players have no incentive to crank graphics down to a minimum. Potato owners would suffer, well, my condolences.

No. Just no. Hard division of gamebase it last thing you want to do.

It was a good concept but bad execution. It was too easy to sit still and have perfect camo, and you could do it anywhere and everywhere. The idea was that you'd find a good camo to move around in, but there were so many opportunities to just stop moving.

MGSV's camo system (without the sneaking suit) was good. You pick a camo and stick to it. You can call in a supply drop of new camo but it requires you to find a safe place to do so, so you can't just switch between grass and concrete at will.

Nah.

There is nothing wrong with dividing players, most multiplayer games already do that by rank/level so as to avoid a noob playing against a grand master, or in games like Warthunder, where depending on your gear(in this case tanks and planes) you moslty fight against those that have comparable gear(so you don't get a biplane fighting against a jet plane). If the game is popular enough, then a division by skill/gear and one by software settings would not be noticeable. I agree that it's not perfect, but at least neither poor fags, nor those who play on high graphic settings would suffer.

why do redditors always talk like that ?

I hate time limits, sure, without one it would be camping galore.

that's nice, looking like a tree or a bush is one thing but you ever consider that there's something missing? I'll tell you what's missing, in a world of movement what's the thing thing that sticks out? stillness.

It's only aesthetics. It doesn't have any effect on being seen.

The MGSV cloak and dagger mode worked fantastically whenever I played it with friends. You're nearly invisible while standing still, but moving makes your camo less effective. The mode had some problems, as did MGO3 as a whole, but it's a concept I want to see again.

MGO2 did it better.

render distance

The effect wasn't as obvious as in Snake Eater, but it was definitely there.

Fuck, you just reminded me of turning the graphics down all the way in the original Halo so that you could see people with stealth camo. Fun times.

Not just graphics settings, but people will use simple clientside mods to improve visibility, for instance switching every camo texture to hot pink.

Even if you somehow code the game to prevent this, your game's going to get shunned when it comes to light that you've willfully blocked mods.

That always gave me a chuckle when on a toaster, all my friends on high end pcs had me spot the enemies hiding in bushes and shit, it was great

Agreed, so having small idle animations to characters but having a option to control how still a person holds themself within reason would be a cool feature

MGO2 did a lot of things better.

It still hurts doesn't it?

Wookie school was alot of fun during the golden era of Arma 2 multiplayer. Talking pre-DayZ stuff. 3 teams would compete against eachother for control of an area on a random map, usually centered around buildings but what made it fun was when the randomized cap zone was in a spot like a valley or had loads of trees and such around it, making taking the cap very risky. Some players found it tedious, so it was love it or hate it deal.

Didn't MGO2 come back not too long ago?

Fans tinkered with it so that it works yeah. I haven't tried it myself.

It does. There's even a hidden camo index like in MGS3 that can be activated by mods.

Playing BF2 back in the day, at minimal settings theres pretty much no cover, so it was easy peas to shoot guys with really nice rigs who were taking cover in foliage or shadows or anything that wasn't a tank or bigass building.

Call of Duty with Ghost Pro perk.

:^)

And this is why people who act like cosmetics behind a pay (or alternatively grind)wall is fine in any game with some sort of PvP are idiots. What would be easier to spot on a snow map, the guy wearing white or the guy wearing red? Or a guy wearing brown on a desert map or green on a forest map and so on. Even dumber is when some jackass takes a still image of the guy in white and goes "hurrr your dumb you can clearly see them". To think that these retards actually deny that camouflage is a thing and that it can give you an advantage.

Certainly not the Dark Mod

OP is a sick genius.

Tom Clancys Future soldier

I've only seen it work well in MP games.

It's not possible to realistically portray NPCs reacting to camouflage based stealth and make it a fun game. The reason for this is because real camouflage is only good at distances hundreds of meters away. Players wouldn't even believe the AI isn't cheating let alone how fire fights would essentially be with enemies you can't even see off in the distance most of the time. Putting that aside one of the first things you'd need to do first is develop a bot that can recognize such things as skylining where your silhouette breaks the horizon and otherwise other things where your silhouette or shadow will give you away. Next you'll need Deep Web tier visual stimulus to not only recognize shapes but also color and the ability to be confused by those colors and the shapes to disappear I guarantee you'll get better results with low poly since the player will be roughly as limited by the color palette as well. Finally you'll need to figure out how exactly textures, floors, walls, the sky, lighting, sound, and props and stuff like grass are put together.

You'll notice all 3 of those steps isn't anywhere close to "easy", for that reason the only games that use the type of stealth as MGS3 and Hitman exist, also Death to Spies is another game since it's basically Hitman. Some games with multiplayer have features which allows for the type of stealth you want in limited formats but other then that shadow and sound based stealth is about the best there is.

Pls.
This is one of cases of camouflage working at the room distance. But if it was brightly lit area with light colored walls and enemy is black you would be decteding him faster (someone said de_dust? Yeah, this why this map is so popular)

It is not only about probability of detection with infinite search time it is also about time of detection, and parts of second too late, parts of second after enemy may matter. But creation of model for this is not an easy.

Yeah accounting everything directly and creation of proper detection model maybe too complex task. But i think you can hack around problem in the multiplayer game or you have access to similar multiplayer game. You create neural network and feed it recorded gameplay footages where you can calculate probability and time of detection in player to player encounters. Neural network doesn't actually detect any targets it creates probabilistic prediction model that predicts what time players spend to detect targets in similar sceneries. Of course such model should be supplemented with hard detection model that checks target exposure so AI can't "detect" targets which are completely obscured by obstacles.

I dunno, Day Z was pretty popular

someone post the webm of MGS4 where a player passes right by another one using octocamo and doesn't notice.

Stealth games died when microsoft killed EAX and consoles created "stealths for everyone", at short range hearing is the most important thing.

u2

Attached: dionysus.jpg (907x907, 109.59K)

The fuck you can't. I used those crates as weapons, giving a whole new meaning to a tactical resupply.
For the slow, drop the supply crates on enemy heads and it'll knock them out. This works on Quiet too, during the sniper fight.

Enepria verdite!

Attached: Americasarmy3.jpg (600x300, 29.37K)

Cont'd. The NME camo was very good, especially on dark maps.
Pic related does not do justice how hard they were to spot.

Attached: aa3_nme1.jpg (331x331, 23.78K)

I dunno bout that, I've been nearly pissed on because of how well my camo hides me.

Have the mgs3 commercial for I can't find that one.

Attached: mgs3 commercial.mp4 (320x240, 1.37M)

Attached: wolfenstein-2-cover-box-art.jpg (1524x1902, 309.17K)

Very nice.

Attached: SPEC4CE-Urban-Light-clothl.gif (500x385 47.43 KB, 37.56K)

This is bullshit. If you have decent camo and know how to use it, you can be invisible in plain sight.

t. scout