Rimworld tread: hacked together Z levels edition

Someone recently had the bright idea to use multiple maps to create an underground mod called DeepRim.
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=39262.0
Buggy as shit so far with the storyteller AI not knowing how to handle the underground maps and more.

Probably could merge with Biomes! Caverns if anyone is feeling autistic enough to make them work together.
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38312.0

Why didn't Tynan think of this?

Because he's a hack who wrote a shitty unoptimized game using combination of shit coding and semi competent thievery from github? I am surprised it took otherfags this long already. But don't fret, you won't be able to enjoy those maps for long. Watch as you get 3 maps or two well developed maps and the game comes to a screeching halt with several second long stutters.

Had 3 decent medium maps at the same time this version with not much slowdown. Removing the floating Zs and stopping plant waving animation seems to help my shit computer run it.
Another mod that helps is the one that optimizes the fire spread code.

Reminder that tynan wrote a book on how to make video games.

You can also be on dead biomes as opposed to jungle ones which will cause massive unplayable lag hardly 3 years in, but that's not the point. The point is that mainline code is fucked. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran 7 if loops in 7 loops nested in each other, like that yandere developer kike or whoever the fuck wrote stalker's shitty code.

It's what happens when you get good enough to make something, but not good enough to realize that what you've made is terrible.

How long until final release?

Looks like we might have awhile before 1.0

read as: i got bored developing this, let me finish the code i can reuse for my later projects and dump the rest on some retards who will buy this

Sounds good to me having the game's "level scaling but for everything" system cut out.

Can't remember where I saw it but Tynan practically admits he is tired of working on Rimworld after five years and wants to move on to another project.

do you think he will make another star citizen in the near future?

Didn't it take two full years to implement Z-level in dorfs through sheer force of autism and the AI still had to cheat a bit to handle it?
There is no hope in hell Rimworld will ever have a working z-level.

Do you think a developer is obligated to work on a game forever?

I think a developer should not scam people into buying his unfinished product and then leaving it half assed when he gets bored with it. People like this should be publically hanged. There is nothing that separates tynan from these hindu tech support scammers.

If you're such an elite coder, why are you playing his game, instead of him playing yours?

Probably because no elite coder works on video games. Ever. Have you seen the source for any games? They are street shitter tier garbage. Anyway, this user is probably not a l33t coder. He just knows better because he uses not shit languages and knows basics of optimization.

this z-level shit for rimworld is such a meme

didn't you read his twitter you fucking moron?

because it fucking lags and it makes the game unplayable if your colony is large enough, its basically loading another world on top of that one, not even the best CPU can handle that shit, faglord.

shoo, shoo, go away boomer cuck, nobody wants you here with your shitty cancerous idea of how a videogame should work.

also hang yourself, boomer.

>>>/tumblr/
>>>/suicide/

Inexplicable.

What a mess.

Except when Rimworld is fully functional and works properly.

Imo the game is fun and even if you were able to run ginormous maps surviving isnt an issue in itself unless youre bad or have really bad luck

RimWorld is a fully functional game dipshit.

It's technically not Z-Levels since there's no direct interaction between them, as in: you can't dig a hole and have water\items fall through or simple stairs between them.
As it stands, it's more like there's at least 10 meters between each level at least.

It's still pretty cool since it's a great way to dig for more ore and build underground bases, but I do wonder how the AI handles it.
Do your pawns transition z-levels as necessary or do they interact solely with the current level? (if it's using another map for this, that's probably what happens)
And do invasions also travel through those things to hunt you down or do they just focus on their current level?
Because this seems pretty easy to abuse otherwise.

The solution is currently using extra maps like you already can when traveling with a caravan and it has already been shown what happens when you try to have too many open sites being simulated.
Your idea that "why not fix code so not slow?" is utterly retarded, you have no idea if the performance issue is due to shitty code or simply because there's indeed that much stuff going on. You never proved the bad performance is the Devs fault and you never gave a solution (likely because you have no idea what you're talking about).

You're also forgetting that there's balance issues to adress here, the game lends itself a lot to "kill boxes" to handle invasions. Mountain bases were so superior for defense due to this that Tynan had to add the Infestation to put a downside on strictly staying underground.
With an extra Z-Level, now you only have to cover the stairs\elevator with a bajillion turrets and sandboxes to fire at whatever comes down without fearing sappers or mortars at all. Or have infestation underground all the time.

It's always the same shitty "criticism" of Rimworld in these threads, always complaining about stuff you have no idea how it works and blaming it on the Dev because that's the only reasonable course of action, always complaining that the game is unfinished but never stating what's actually lacking for it to be finished, always complaining about the storytellers without actually understanding how they work and their role.
There's plenty of things to complain about the game but you'll never list them because they need actually playing it and being honest instead of simply shitposting.

Maybe you don't get lower reputation if there are no witnesses?
The whole thing still seems like great medical training however so there's that at least.

The engine was created years ago, for the game to run well I would imagine he would have to change the engine which is what gets games to become vaporware.

God bless basic turrets

lol, the absolute state of society
I do. We have a metric by which to judge such simulations. It’s called Dwarf Fortress. There’s absolutely no way that “mouse support” could be using this much more processing power, and when Rimworld simulates things about an order of magnitude more simply than DF, you have to wonder where the problem resides…
As… opposed to what, dipshit?
And so, if this was an official part of the game and not a mod, the raiders would also be able to dig.
You say that as though it’s true.
Given that they are the ones who created the game and wrote the code and…
I’ve seen plenty listed.

I had this installed for about 5mins until I saw that the weapons you can make from the crystal it adds (found fucking everywhere) has double the DPS of plasteel.
Why must modders be so fucking retarded?

Something something 2cat. Your metric is shit to begin with and proves nothing. You either show what exactly is causing the performance drops and pin it on the dev or you're talking out of your ass.

As oposed as being the fault of PC architecture like it happens in some games or there simply being quite a lot of things to process or it simply being flat out impossible to have good performance and the same level of detail because we don't live in lala land where things are as good as we want them to be for no cost.

Didn't knew you were working for Tynan and had a say on how the decision process goes there.
Oh wait, you don't because sappers are already a thing and the closest to your shit idea. The "cost" in pathfinding to dig through walls and thus floors would be so high that the raiders would still walk in deathtraps instead of digging anyway and this is the best case scenario.
Worst case is, they actually do dig (and take days to reach you with their limited supply of food that will run out before they are even near) making the entire point of an underground base completely void.

By way, you wanna use your shitty metric here too? Tell me what mob actually digs to your base in DF.

You say that as if you actually knew what you're saying while simultaneously proving you don't.

But of course. It's the Devs fault that the game won't run in a Pentium Celeron with only 256 MB of Ram and it doesn't fit entirely inside a floppy disk. The standards the game's performance will be judged will be your shitputer because you said so.

You'll list the most obvious shitposting reasons that nobody has an actual problem with but you can kick a bigger fuss with, not the legitimate reasons (that you can mostly get mods anyway to fix if you're not illiterate)

The performance is dropping, as has been measured. We see systems with far greater complexity not having performance drops while on the same hardware. These other systems use other engines. The engine of Rimworld was created by the devs of Rimworld. Thus the performance drops are the result of either the engine (created by the devs) or the code on the engine (written by the devs). That this needed to be explained to you is indicative of your low level of intelligence.
Are you honestly trying to claim that a game–any game–would be better suited to PowerPC or ARM than x86?
Given that you personally just listed a form of rebalancing that was put in place BY THE DEVS after a new feature was added, I’m pretty fucking sure that yes, were he to officially add this feature, there would be rebalancing such that it would not be overpowered to survive raids. That this needed to be explained to you is indicative of your low level of intelligence.
Okay, sure thing. I believe you.
Aww, that’s cute. He’s just sperging out now.
Right, right; your reducto ad absurdum fallacies are sure to win us over.
You’ve yet to list them or to delegitimize anyone’s posted here.

That you never specify ever, except for a really bad example.

Didn't knew Tynan created Unity. Tell me again why you expect anyone to take you seriously when you say retarded shit like this.

But the only measure you've provided was terrible. The pathfinding will either make them fall for easy traps or waste their food trying to dig their way to your base. If you can't come up with an actual solution to make this not OP as fuck for defense, why do you keep talking like everyone's dumb for not knowing something you yourself don't know either?

Nigga, the game runs fine on my machine with no frame drops or the like, even with several maps open to the point I can crank this up with 200+ mods and only then do I start to see a drop in performance.
If your shitty PC can't handle having more than a single location open, that's your own fault for having a shitty PC.

Nice projection, when your ilk are the ones that criticize the game by mentioning petty shit that bothers no one and claim the whole thing is broken because of that.

I don't need to "delegitimize" what was legit to begin with, nothing you've said is either proven, measurable or accurate.
You want a list of valid complaints, it's fucking easy:
-Most events to penalize your colony revolve around food, crippling your farm or hunting, crop blight isn't that interesting to begin with.
-Hydroponics is shit since plants die on the spot whenever power runs out, Solar Flares and similar events become another form of killing your farms if you depend on them.
-The storytellers have a very short pop cap, with the sole exception of Randy and even then. You can't cover all your basis with the amount the game expects you to have.
-Cassandra's a bitch and made specifically so your colony ends eventually
-Phoebe's more relaxed in theory but the amount of shit you get ends up atracting more attention than you probably can handle in a "relaxing game"
-the depth placed in ranged combat is inconsistent with the depth placed in melee. You have different weapons, but the only differences are statistical, besides also looking terrible anyway.

There's more but why bother? You never see shitposters using any of these unless they completely blow them out of proportion for a reducto ad absurdum with "I totally got plague right as the game started because 3 colonists is too much for Cassandra!"
If you're just gonna be incredibly vague or dumb on purpose, don't expect to be taken seriously ever.

Most people don't have any sense of balance.
Last time I had it installed, edited the mod files to tone down all the stats of crystal to be on par with steel.

stitching maps together is hardly the same thing as Z-levels
there are way much more things to consider, while having a true z-level system, like path finding
everything being loaded and working on the same world, casting of light through open spaces, bullets traversing levels, structure integrity and gravity to avoid floating buildings and items, fluid dynamics, thermal dynamics between levels

yeah, why don't you try to code it faggot?

on another note, post your shitty bases,
have there been any interesting updates lately?

wew good troll, had me going for a moment

What I think, and hope, you realize is that you're not writing this retarded shit for yourself but for everyone else to see.

Well fuck you too

Zzzt?

Question, what is the fasters plant to grow to feed animals?

Sounds like a great way to make laggy large colonies super laggy.

I would say rice, rice grows fast and everyone can eat it

I just want to have a spot for pasture to the animals to feed directly on it without worrying about it.

Also, any good new mods? I've heard about the genetic one, about the dinosaur one, I've used all the cthulhu ones and a few about farming and cooking. I guess the pregnancy mod isn't in steamworks?

RNG really does play a big role. Wished there was at least some thought tactics put into place for the enemy AI. Not everyone should move in as a huge group like the DKR big fight scene near the end. It's easy to pick them off with motars.

hay grass, I think it's called

Wires should wear down over time and require maintenance, increasing the zzzt chance depending on how worn out they are.

Everything should work that way, there should be a way to git gud and avoid/prepare for every random event.

T-thanks

Never played this but been keeping a watch on it, casual dorf fort in spess sounds like it might be nice to pirate.
Is this a good time to get in or should I wait until a more complete version of the game arrives?

Its a fun game, but mods like always will be the bulk of the folder since there are a lot of little things that throws you off.
Like wanting to play as a tribe and having your research costs ramped out of your ass because even if all your colonists have 20 intellectual your tech level will stay forever as "neolithical"

Ascii doesnt weight shit and theoretically allows you to do stuff autistically big with no drop off since its so simple.
Unity while being super shit makes uses of a lot more stuff.

You are so ignorant its almost adorable.

Keep doubling down, retard.

Instead of being up your ass and looking like you don't know anything why not explain yourself further
I've played Dorf Fort with and without graphic packs and it made literally no performance difference, and Dorf Fort is pretty much fucked in terms of optimization because toady can't even figure out multi threading. The fuck is Rimjob's excuse here?

What the fuck are you even posting? Did you even check my ID? Are you really so butthurt you are willing to just completely make shit up to put into my mouth? Did you even ever play dwarf fortress in your life? So many questions.

Because the graphics packs are a fucking joke. You aren't seriously suggesting they are comparable in any way with Rimworld's graphics are you? Or how about animations? All dorf fort has to do is change one symbol for another, colour it, or have it flash. Obviously that doesn't take nearly as much performance as Rimworld.

How else am I supposed to interpret your bullshit? I thought that perhaps you thought that one can ignore graphics part of the games, as they're mainly CPU intensive. Or are you actually suggesting that Dorf's ASCII is more demanding than Rimworld's graphics?

You should have just not replied to me at all if you didn't have anything cohesive to say you fucking retard.

user, the only one acting retarded is you. So far you've said nothing of substance

Are you one of those retards who has to have the last post of every conversation? I just wanted to call you ignorant because I'm pretty sure you never even played dorf fort. I'm not trying to make a point. I'm not trying to have a discussion with you. I'm just calling you a name and for some reason getting roped in to explaining that because you can't even grasp something that simple. Why the fuck did I even post this. What a waste of my life.

Never change, user

No, but I can tell it makes you mad.

Did you play dorf fort or not nigger?

I did about a year back, but not recently.

They're not great but they're still graphics, retard, and in a game where I monitor the FPS more than I do my dorfs there's still no effect. It means relatively little, especially when Dorf Fort is already horribly optimized. And the fact that Rimworld runs like ass even on its immensely smaller and less detailed scale is 100% due to developer incompetence. If you have anything suggesting otherwise, post it. If you don't, quit sucking off tynan's cock.

Yes, incomparably simpler than those of Rimworld. It's like you're comparing the graphics of an old SNES game to Deus Ex. Why the fuck can you not accept that ASCII is not going to eat nearly as much performance as rendering a 2D game with sprites and animations?

ITT: Dorf Fortress cucks come out of the woodwork to spam against a vastly superior game.

Yeah, nah. I won't say they're the same but Rimworld's not exactly stellar on the graphics department.
Scroll up and re-read the argument retard. You're here to prove that it's definitely got nothing to do with developer incompetence that Rimworld runs like ass despite being less detailed and running on a much much smaller scale than Dwarf Fortress and actually having multi threading which Dorf Fort does not. Or else you can just admit that Rimworld runs like shit because of dev incompetence.

I'm not saying Rimworld has some kind of cutting edge graphics, but it clearly is something that requires vastly more resources to run than simply writing characters on screen like Dorf fort does.

No, you scroll up and read my posts. I have never argued anything about Rimworld's optimization, I have merely said that using the performance of an ASCII game as a metric for a game with rendered 2D graphics with animations is fucking retarded.

Prove it faggot, because I don't buy it. The difference in scale is so fucking huge that muh graphics aren't enough to convince me that it's definitely not the dev's fault that the game runs like shit.
So you really are retarded and can't remember what you wrote?

prove that displaying letters on a screen requires more resources than rendering 2D objects? What will you want me to prove next, that water is wet? This is common sense, user.

here, I screencapped my first post for you. Please, point where I make any claims about Rimworld's optimization.

You do realize that other than displaying the characters, a lot of them are also dynamic like fluids (water, magma) spread over several Z levels (arbitrary number of them using mods) and there are multiple interactions ie. fights going on at any given time simulated in real time all at once? Your shitty game has mostly static graphics. It's just static pictures tied to a point moving on XY plane. Water doesn't move. Rain or snow are just graphical overlays. Arguably the only dynamic portions of rimworld are the fire code and maybe projectiles, but the latter is just the same thing as a point with a sprite moving on XY plane.

Wew the other user was right, you are retarded. Let me explain this in the most simple way I can for your dumbass. You keep playing up the graphics of rimworld like they make ALL the difference and are a gorillion times more resource intensive than Dorf Fort, which is a load of shit, and keep trying to justify that as the reason why the game has no Z-levels and runs at such a small and shitty scale.
You format and use the same arguments as before, user, we all know you ID hopped, don't lie because you realized you can't defend your point anymore.

Sprites with sprite flipping are only marginally more intensive than ASCII. Plus dwarf fortress isn't ASCII anymore, it's tiles now (which makes it nearly the same as sprites).

Rimworld runs like shit because it's made in Unity AND because it's coded like shit AND because it has more graphics than Neckbeard Fortress. All of those things affect the performance of the game. With that said, a competent dev using proper tools could make a game much more complex than this run much faster.

You're going to have to dig into the code yourself if you want to find where the biggest fault lies, this whole argument is retarded.

Why do anons care about z-levels again when there are bigger issues at hand? Last I remember you still can't leave you starting place and explore.

there was a big update a while ago that added a bunch of travel shit and enemy bases etc

You haven't player in a very loooooong while, have you? You can already pack up some of your dudes and travel the countryside, set up camp, attack other faction's bases or just trade shit with them. In theory, you could go full nomad as well or just keep a few guys in a base and a strike squad going around the world.
You even have drop-pods to throw someone in the world for faster one-way travel.

Question, is there an earth planet seed? thinking about playing a caveman scenario and want to play in an early earth.

Also, is there a way to reduce the number of factions or at least to make them appear later on?

I'm pretty sure there's a mod that allows you to discover faction instead of them all appearing from the start.
I remember seeing it mentioned in the descriptions of a few alien race mods.

I just want my planet empty or at least with few cities that are related to tribals.

That's a different kind of mod. Once a world is generated, the amount of factions is set, so if you installed a mod with a new faction, you won't meet them till you restart another world.
That mod allows for factions to crop up as you play, which means newer factions can also show up.

You can try to reverse-engineer some of the simpler mods out there that do the exact oposite, like More Factions or tinker with the mod that lets you discover more.

Although, if you're going for a caveman scenario, you don't actually have to do anything.
Because your armor, weapons and construction is going to be shit, not to mention your tech level, the enemies that show up to fight against you have a limited amount of points to gear up, which means mechanoids and high-tech factions are ruled out.
You'll be attacked strictly by neo lithical tribes and medieval towns at best until you develop a bit.

There's a mod specifically for this kind of thing that tweaks the starting tech, gives you an extra scenario specifically for this and comes with a few additions to it. Although both me and the mod recommend that you get Camping Stuff and Tribal Essentials at the very least, plus Bone Mod (so you can build stuff out of bones you get from hunting) and Medieval Times so you get something before the Industrial Age.

WEll, I want to play a caveman setting with time travellers and aliens, reverse engineering everything to be the strongest neanderthal tribe.

I've found this spotlight for this mod. Anyone tried it?

Does anybody else have problems in choosing what mods to install?
I don't know from what even begin.

You choose whatever you want. The problem comes later when they don't work together.

T-thanks

It doesnt matter because from the 20 mods you'll pick at 8 wont work like some of the rimarsenal mods

I use it, I like it. It makes sense to have settlements organized like nations. It makes sense to have a shit-ton of "nations" on the map instead of just five, too.

I usually am a dumb stupid faggot that just adds shit because it sounds like it's gonna be awesome when mixed with everything else and then I have to endure mod conflicts and shitty performance once I noticed I went overboard.

To solve this, you usually have to take a damn good look at your modlist and decide just what exactly do you want your game to be.
If you're more interested in an all-out war of stomping and fighting, you might as well ditch the mods that make agriculture have shittons of plants and be more in depth, but if you prefer a more cozy and comfy experience, that's what you keep instead of another weapon pack.

Finnaly, remenber that there's a lot of mods that don't actually add that much content, their entire purpose is to either change the gameplay or do some QoL changes, like the Colony Manager mod that I'd consider pretty great or every mod related to automation and making robots.

Ded as fug

Way to go, dipshit.

Sorry, theres nothing I can add, tried to god mod my way into a very big base with a very big turret security grid but I got bored really fast and started another game from zero.
Is there any mods that revamps the cooking system? Because having like a month for my pawns to rack up 2000 pemmican while making a shitton of leafjoints and that other starter drug they spend most of the time inside and can't even go out to gather metal and build tables.
Also got drop-podded into my stockpile because ???

make an animal area zones on soil tiles which grows free grass then zone a safe animal "sleep" area. Make several of these pasture zones to avoid over grazing and grow reserve haygrass for winter or fire torching the pasture area.
It's still a bit too hands on since you can't schedule when animals change zones, you have to do it manually.

RIP Lolli the loli centaur.
It's absolutely retarded that predators are considered non-hostile. At least in A17 you could manually target them, but with that function removed (again) in the name of "realism" it's literally impossible for turrets to attack animals unless they go manhunter.

Hey Rimjob thread, is there any mod that lets me craft stuff in bigger bulks? Kinda getting tired of how easy you can just make one big leafjoint leaf area but then spend a month to turn them into joints

You just have to build more stations assigned to that work. Whenever I get too much stone, I build four additional stone cutting tables and turn off the work schedules for five people so that they do nothing but make stone.

RimWorld is a perfectly fun game plenty of people like and enjoy. I don't get these constant accusations against Tynan. He seems fine.

Its a bad idea because if there are no hostile factions, the game will send mechanoid raids.

because this is some DF fag coming to shit-post and nothing else

I don't mean no hostile factions. I mean less settlements and a control of how many kinds of settlements there would be on the map.

Shit, forgot to quote

Here is a Africa seed. 30% coverage.

Im sure at some point the game will either crash or some shit won't pop up but right now it seems to do well enough

I guess there is no full globe seed?