Vidya's music or your music ?

When i play videogames, i tend to mute the game and play my own music, i can't into vg soundtracks and people are regularly calling me out on this. How about you anons ?

ur a fegit

I usually play the Berserk OST when I play E.Y.E. at points. Like the final mission to kill Rimanah.

That's because it doesn't make any fucking sense. There's no such thing as "video game music," except in the sense that some genres of music did somewhat evolve as a result of being popular with vidya devs early on. Video games did and do include every genre of music, to varying extents. You don't dislike video game music, you dislike music that you're not already familiar and comfortable with.

Okay ZUN

This, basically. Don't be a faggot, OP. Give them a goddamn chance and open your mind up.

But I do.

I'll listen to the OST.
Eurobeat for maximum frame timings and sick drifts.

it depends on the game. If the game has a good soundtrack, you better listen to it while you play the game.
Although mostly this

I generally mute bg Music. no exceptions

Are you okay?

i mean, there are exceptions but i mute like 70% of games because either the music's shit or the music's good but it doesn't go with the game. Also when you rehear 15 times in a row the same loop it really fucks up the immersion

If it's singleplayer with campaign then i use game ost. If it's mmo or a game where the same music is being played over and over i usually mute it and play something else.

I only put on my own music for certain multiplayer games and that's only when I've gotten an obscene amount of time put in already to where it got stale
I did this for assfaggots 5 years ago

you fucking, uncultured philistine.
give ost's a change, some are really great and build the mood and atmosphere of the game or moment.
It would be like playing "Living In the Sunlight" while playing a depressing game like RE7 or the Souls series, or playing synthwave while playing a medieval rpg.
Only time this is acceptable is when the other for the game really really sucks, or you are playing multiplayer.

For skill-based games like Tetris Attack, external eurobeat increases my skill. But of course, the music and sound don't matter in TA, unlike Quake singleplayer, which is skill-based, but where the ambiance is half the point of playing.
For low-skill, engrossing games like roguelikes, JRPG grinds, or sims, podcasts make for maximum comfy. Armada for the Dreamcast sticks out as perfect for that, since a lot of the gameplay consists of a space road trip simulator. An armada of desert buses, more like.

As for VG as a musical genreā€¦ I mean, it's one thing to not like the Terran themes from Starcraft, but a lot of the appeal of VG music is the memory you carry from playing the game. It has meaning intrinsic to yourself, which you necessarily miss out on if you never listen to it while playing.
I also like the impressionistic character of a lot of videogame music, at least prior to the voice acting era. There's more to music as an artform than jungle monkey beats, and musical impressionism is a good example of why that is.

Sometimes, but not always. Some games have good soundtracks that fit the game itself. Sometimes music also puts you into a disadvantage, but I still leave it turned on because it's more fun that way.

this op has autism

My music

Vidya music is great but that obviously depends on the game/composer. I play my own music when I've listened to a game's soundtrack for 50+ hours and am tired of it.

There are certain instruments that were made mainly for games. And by that I mean the soundboards for earlier console generations that made unique sounds. This is especially noticeable on the X68000, PC88/98, and Sega Genesis. The unique sounds from those sound boards is what gives that "video gamey" vibe a lot of people recognize. Though they usually relate it to 8bit music.

Have some Castlevania bloodlines music.