Factorio thread

Post whatever ridiculous shit you've built lately.
Like pic related, a bait and switch station that stops a train nearly instantly by turning off the train stop at the end of the tracks when the train enters the segment while turning the other one on.

Other urls found in this thread:

factorio.com/blog/post/fff-215
youtube.com/channel/UCD6VugMZKRhSyzWEWA9W2fg
youtube.com/watch?v=pDLIkfSLTmU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can run a vanilla game, but the problem is they are finished pretty quick. The only thing I can do is increase research cost, which is not too popular.
Building a massive vanilla base is again not that viable because of performance constraints. The current B+A base was just about hitting the performance bottleneck.
While some of these big mods look intimidating, it really isn't that hard to learn working with them. I've never played Xander either and it might be on the next game, you just learn as you go.

Do the developers have any pretenses left of ever finishing this game at this point, or has it just become another fucking Minecraft like I feared it would?

16 is supposed to be the last iteration before release or so Ive heard

What's wrong with minecraft?

The adventuring focus was shit to begin with and it was badly done at that.
I only wanted to make my autistic redstone contraptions, on a better optimized game, instead they add more useless shit, stolen mods and never optimize anything.

What else do you want? They could call it finished right now and it'd feel like a full game.

Lots of promises and none of them kept. It certainly had the potential to be amazing but hey at least we had fun with it in the early 2010s i suppose. Factorio has lots of content already but also feels like it could do with a little more in some areas

Factorio needs better monsters, should just steal the creeper from Creeper World.

I swear these people must live in constant fury knowing other people got games cheaper after launch like some sort of fanatical jews.

It's annoying to think that you could have got a better deal if you had simply waited. That is where the frustration stems from.

And with the decision for no discount this situation is reversed, having the frustration of saving some shekels by purchasing it earlier. What a dilemma.

I've never seen anyone get mad at something like that. I bought it more than a year ago so I wouldn't care if it went on sale for $2 tomorrow. $20 is more than reasonable for what you get anyway, especially when you don't have to buy it through Steam.

I want an actual goddamn game. "Features" do not equate a game. A game is a set of rules and limitations for the purpose of testing the player's skill. Factorio still needs more levels, it needs more rules, it needs more goals. After some 2 years of barely any meaningful change, the "game" of Factorio is still the rather trivial feat of launching a rocket. You can add new sets of mechanics to fuck around with until you're blue in the face, but until you start addressing goals you haven't done anything to make a coherent game. I do not want just another grab bag of mechanics to fuck around with in a sandbox, I want a game to test my skill with them.

At the moment, the game of Factorio is still rather trivial. I had such high hopes for this project. Hopes for all sorts of cool scenarios for manufacturing stuff. Hopes for a multiplayer RTS that was genuinely innovative (this was on the dev roadmap ages ago, did they scrap the whole concept?). Hopes that the early access model of development wasn't always garbage, hope that this was an exception. I think the early access naysayers may have been right. This model is broken on a fundamental level and will never produce something good as long as developers listen to some stupid asshole who knows nothing about game design on a forum demand that development get bogged down endlessly placating early access project "funders" with useless features.

It was never finished. They slapped that lazy dragon garbage on the end and called it a day, leaving it to modders to make some sort of game out of it.

And where is all the enemy variety? Factorio still has the same bland set of enemies that it's had since like 2015 now. Do the developers honestly think this is going to be acceptable for a full release?

You're right to say that Factorio is more of a toy than a game, but that doesn't make it not good. It's an exceptionally well-designed and elegant toy that executes its core idea of automation very, very well. To really make it a game, you have to add self-imposed goals, restrictions, or mods. If that's not what you're looking for, that's not the game's problem, that's your problem.

no that's the game's problem fag, its fucking unfinished

I don't recall multiplayer ever being a heavy focus, even early in development. Otherwise they would have implemented it a lot sooner than they did. It was obviously meant to be primarily a singleplayer game, and not in the least bit an RTS. Combat against biters is a catalyst to make you grow the factory and adapt, not the point of the game.

lol if the game is actually striving to be a game, then in fact it is the game's problem. If it just wants to be a playground, then okay. Personally–and I say this as someone who has clocked thousands of hours in OpenTTD, one of Factorio's closer analogs–I want more than a jungle gym and a swing set. I want Factorio to be precisely the sort of actual game I always wanted OpenTTD to be.

multithreading. i don't want to hear that blah blah blah it's not possible because it all has to be sequential. bullshit. you should be able to make multiple smaller bases and have them split on their own cores and link them with the train.

they've already hinted that they could in the past but it would be a bunch of work and they already have everyone's money so there's no point.

this is the same reason why there's no story or goals. why bother when they have 90% of the money they're going to make already.

enemies are the enemy of UPS. anyone who wants a sizeable base turns them off along with pollution.

They have multithreading.

it's not real multithreading. they offload a few things to other threads but the majority of the code is still locked to the single thread. this why throwing 16 cores at factorio makes no difference you need a 5ghz processor clocked to 8ghz with liquid nitrogen cooling for that megabase, that and $500/4gb high speed ram.

You're really in the wrong place complaining about lazy devs. Rimworld and Oxygen Not Included have never had a single performance improvement update, they consistently run like shit late-game without any modding or excessive expansion. Factorio has seen so many performance improvements that we made a decently big B/A base on MP that runs on a fucking Intel Atom dualcore at 1.6Ghz with 4GB RAM and it only started to lag at the very end when we started sending rockets. That's with some 30 mods loaded. You really need to be doing some 1 rocket per second-tier shit to get lag in SP on a decent PC.

(checked)
Fair enough.
What kind of toaster are you running the server on?

Refer to
At least it has good upload speeds

They only multithread very limited aspects and it's mostly during world generation and has very little impact on actual gameplay. They tried multithreading some things but found no speed gain due to how each thread was fighting over memory and would need a more or less redesigning the game to get it to multhread well.

factorio.com/blog/post/fff-215

Ah, so it's like Spore then. Fine game, unless you were hyped about it beforehand.

FACTORIO!!

why even live?

why did she shoot the hostage?

Hostages are faggots.

She was trained by the spetznas.

There is a mod that lets you run multiple servers of Factorio and transfer resources between them.

Hostage? Da, comrade, surely you mean "suspect"?

There is a mod that lets you run multiple servers of Factorio and transfer resources between them.

now the suspect has nothing to stand behind

train autism

sounds like fun. add it.

If you're hoping for more, then I'm sorry user. This is all Factorio will be. We might see some more campaign missions, but I can't say that shit will ever be worth bothering with since you have to rebuild your factory every mission.

As far as I know, spidertron (a vehicle that can walk over all terrain) is the only gameplay content remaining on the to-do list. Aside from this it's all polishing work that's left.

bump

Neck yourself.

I'll tie a noose to my rocket.

best feel.

Deserved it.

I started playing this but disabled biters (not even peaceful mode, just no biters at all on the map and no polution).

How can i use the commandline to enable biters, enable pollution and enable "standard" difficulty (or even hard). I have a 30 hour old base now and want to try them out.

just restart
30 hours is nothing

The wiki has a "useful console commands" section, it should be there

You see comrade, when you shoot hostage there no longer be hostage situation.

I tried these (setting biter evolution etc to default) but there are no biters at all on the map

If you fucked around with the map generator variables it should spawn them when you explore new chunks.

I have like 20 radars dotted around a massive area and am picking up nothing on scans

What's the point if you've already played in that map for 30 hours? The whole fun comes from progressing while defending.

Did you fuck with the "enemy bases:size" setting? If it's set to none it wont generate hives.

I can't remember, I think so. How do i change that too?

I played the game before already on hard with biters and launched the satellite. I wanted to play again with more relaxed environment but now kind of want to get biters involved

You need brand new sections of the map, not just new squares on the radar, but newly generated sections. You gotta walk (or drive) one direction beyond your radar range, then it will eventually generate new map.

Fact-Oreo
Accent on the O
Games are better as SImulators

Fact-Oreo
Accent on the O
Build Factories
Pollute the enviorment
Industrialize from nothing
Kill Aliens

where do I pireate this game? sorry newfag here

Lurk more.

Bump. Just found pic related and found it hilarious, so I made webm of it.

Attached: What is factorio.webm (720x404, 13.47M)

Name of the channel?

Never mind, I found it.

Why in the fuck doesn't this work? There are clearly no trains on any of the colored paths this train needs to go on but it acts like there's no path.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-17 16-35-27.png (1920x1080, 3.75M)

is probably to do with the T shaped junction at the bottom right.

..also what about the server? is it gonna be reset or rebooted?

first of all what is this abomination
second of all pic related

Attached: fag.png (876x167, 342.4K)

Yep, can't do this. Two way tracks only work with no signals, not signals going both ways

"No path" doesn't mean there's trains in the way, it means there's no way. Whatever you're telling it to go to is unreachable.

Look at the signal by the crossing. You've designated the track in front of the train as one way.

It can have signals, you just need to put them everywhere there's a signal going the other way or it's going to interpret that signal as one-way.

I literally do not understand.

Put the signal on the opposite side of the track, that should fix it.

Attached: train.png (731x413, 614.05K)

faggot

I don't intend to start a new map yet, but since I'm not playing I don't know if/when it needs a reboot. I rebooted it now.

Release the game already you cunts. If you want my money, that is.

there's nothing wrong with minecraft. it's a perfectly good game on its own, and one of the best bases for mods to work off of.

people complaining about hunger are just lazy faggots who can't be assed to plant a 4x4 farm of wheat or potato or one of the many simple food sources.

there's also always been creative mode where there's no hunger if they want it to purely be a voxel building game.

Holy shit this is ridiculous my pollution cloud is vanishing. Those turrets are where the edges of the cloud used to be before I actually put efficiency modules inside all my miners.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-18 14-09-01.png (1920x1080, 493.71K)

You do realize that "release" is just an arbitrary point where the developer considers it done, right? A game can be released and be a buggy, shitty mess that most people would consider beta or alpha stage.

They're never going to finish it. Just let it go, the early-access naysayers were right. This game's development turned out fucking exactly like Minecraft's.

For sure. And a developer who releases a game as a shitty buggy mess doesn't deserve your money. Neither does a developer who doesn't know when the product they are making is ready.
I've enjoyed much older versions enough to justify paying for it, but I'm not going to support the indecisive eternal development that early access encourages.

Not a faggot so here's the channel
youtube.com/channel/UCD6VugMZKRhSyzWEWA9W2fg

Stop posting him please. I don't want him to get any more popular.
He is the best efaggot out there and he barely does any efaggotry.

not mine but…
youtube.com/watch?v=pDLIkfSLTmU

bump

Can someone post some pics of an adequate looking oil production setup? Refineries/chem plants all of that stuff I'd like to get some ideas on how to do mine. Mostly looking to see how pipes are set up and where to place everything so its not some chaotic spaghettifest

I usually build refineries like this. Cracking setups use the same scheme with undies to input water/oils.

Attached: refinery.jpg (1594x596, 493.85K)

What kind of oil extracting set up do you need to feed that thing and how big a base do you need to use the product?

Nice refinery setup, do you haul off the oil to separate parts of the base or do you have a nearby chemical plant area that uses them up? I'd love to see those too

It eats 994 oil per second, producing enough stuff to launch a rocket + satellite every 79 seconds. I tend to build a few of them by a big ass oil field, along with heavy/light cracking, and then distribute those by train (somewhat less viable now with fluid wagons being nerfed).
List time I built one it was about 15 miles from spawn, so I had one pumpjack producing 500 oil per second and a ton of them making 400+ so feeding it was easy enough, even without beaconing.

I already need water for the advanced oil refining so there's no real reason not to crack on-site. I don't have a pic of the cracking arrays but they're pretty similar (beacon-chemical plant-beacon, with pipes arranged so you can tile them) and blueprinted to consume as much as the refining block can output.
I'm actually not even sure if I can load the map to take a screenshot anymore, between the base and all the biters I don't have enough memory to run both firefox and the game at the same time, and it's been a few patches since I loaded it.