I miss the days when games werent gay

the fuck happened? why are games like this not being made anymore?

The falling rate of profit on investment forces competitors to put larger and larger sums of money into massive projects to reap past levels of profit.

There's like 10 metal slug games dude, just play one of them and then play other scrolling run and gun shooters. play midnight resistance, play the contra games, there's lots of em.

Dude
Oh wait

But as for Metal Slug in particular even with recycling tons of shit it's fucking EXPENSIVE for the spritework in that game.

Originally, the kikes didn't recognize that vidya could influence the masses. Once that fact sunk in, they started taking over and destroying everything they couldn't take over, the same as they did to every other medium.

only the first 3 by nazca are
good. Rest of the series is chinese knockoff shovelware.

what about indies. why isn't anyone making action games anymore. it feels like every other indie is some artsy adventure with minimal gameplay and shit graphics.

Because Artsy adventures with limited gameplay is easy to make and bugcheck. Have you like, never made a game before?

play japanese independent games instead

MONEY,RESOURCES,TIME.

7 > 3

Different demographic and mandatory anti-White/male propaganda thanks to SJW infiltration. No modern game targets the hardcore non-gay, they go bland so they can sell for everyone.

Because most indies are shit. The art alone in Metal Slug isn't easy to pull off, and good gameplay isn't either, you need a good implementation, test, change, test again and so on. For pixelshit you just make up some bullshit artsy fartsy story, spend 5min creating "art" assets, 0min adding gameplay, and you're done.

Nes level gameplay isnt remotely difficult or expensive to make with todays tools.

Official Metal Slug tier list for people who have one-life cleared all the games and played all of them for score:
7 > 1 > X > 3 > 6 > 5 > 4

Only fellow one-lifers are allowed to debate this, the rest need not apply.

it doesnt even need to be on metal slug level. even nes style visuals would be acceptable and extremelly easy to make, since it's just a few tile art assets per level.

You'd actually be surprised how much can fucking fall apart with any intensive game.

But cuphead was basically metal slug + contra, I know it's one example but they do exist and cuphead showed there is a market for it so there might be more in the future

Yeah no, you fags were wrong about this with Alien Hominid and you're wrong again. Play an actual fucking Metal Slug already, Cuphead is not nearly as arcade-oriented in its design.

There is always, and always will.
But the industry has been hijacked by kikes that put their leftist drones in every place, and now it is a propaganda machine for marxism and globalism.
Kill the kikes and leftists, and good games will be possible again.

You just reminded me the Alien Hominid PC port as recommended is emulating the GC version.

you're wrong
t. grew up on metal slug

When this industry was young it was run by people who were content with just being profitable and making good games. Now it's run by kikes who need profit GROWTH every quarter to be happy(These are the same kinds of kikes that cause every company to eventually collapse in on itself). This industry used to be run by people who just wanted to make enough money to feed their employees and make better games in the future. Now it's run by assholes who want to twist and contort everything into making them as much money as possible.
That's why games today are so gay, OP.

Action games actually require time and skill to make. Making "Experiences" gives the instant gratification(that the millennials occupying indie development right now have been programmed to want) of having made a game, and for some fucking reason, profit, all at the same time.

But no one buys games with NES level gameplay. It's a sad truth that those kinds of games simply don't sell enough to support a creator most of the time.

Tech saw a huge boom and every dumb nigger flooded eveeything from cellphones to videogames.
Right after it worldwide finance went to shit, so struggling companies put out absolute garbage products that the retards that flooded the consumer area of that industry promptly ate up.

That's why you don't see cool shit like Metal Slug anymore, that's why the industry is only now getting better after a whole decade of fucking garbage, despite leftists still trying to ruin everything.
But like I said, it's getting better, nowadays much like the 90s and early 00s smaller devs can put out a product and make sleeper hits unlike 10 years ago where the most shilled piece of shit was the one that obscured literally everything else.

But that's wrong, usenet was full of the mother fuckers

I blame soy.

Are they mouthbreathers or what?

Then try Mercenary Kings, it's the gayest fucking kikestarter Metal Slug clone that's available.

Not profitable, nobody wants to pay sixty dollars for an hour long arcade game with little replay value. I remember buying Metal Slug 3 for the PS2 and feeling scammed.

That can't be real.

user, do you think Usenet had the amount of users the whole of Reddit has today?

As bad as they are at least they don't spam videogame imageboards in autistic fits of rage.

Oh that's right, they use social media or write articles in video game blogs to complain about inane shit.

They're tougher than artsy games. With artsy games, you only have to create the player model/sprite, move the player around, and trigger message/sounds.pictures when you hit x,y,z destination.

With regular games, your workload is double that amount as you have to design the AI or playtest and redesign the map repeatedly so that it's fun to normies.

didn't shovel knight, downwell and super hexagon do decently? im sure im forgetting others, but those being successful shows there is a market for gamey games.

And Downwell was made using freaking gamemaker so people have no excuse.

Cuphead

It can and was, crybaby. You've received a glimpse into a better time.

It is. Niggers were also kept in zoos for a time.

I can't help but think that's the face you'd make when you're about to take a huge dick in your mouth.

But… But Rich Evans is the most alpha man I know!

I'm glad that Kingdom Come Deliverance came out. I was beginning to worry that all wrpgs were mandatorily forced to include a gay romance option for your closeted bisexual wrpg protagonist.
But it does have pseudo-bestiality though, which is the only stain on otherwise sexually normal game.

The Mere is pure though

We were fucking spoiled in the 90's. It sucks shit we are never going to see another period like it ever again. Not as long as microsoft and sony are around to ruin gaming with their bland cinematic horseshit.

(check)
that looks as comfy as an autistic girl in peanutbutter

Yeah well, that's what you'll have to gamble to make for a game with excellent graphics, i mean just look at Cuphead, not to mention that Metal Slug's graphic itself has aged really, really well.

Both must be brought back.
With prizes for killing nigger babies and preventing them from reproducing.

You see how sad our fate is. Ice-Pick Lodge's games are the most arthouse games there are, and that they're these incredibly gruelling, complex games is a central part of that - a central part of them that, of course, utterly insulates them from the clique we have that decides what games get recognised as "art." Embed related.

Kill yourself.

No u

How so?

You see, cruel gameplay is one of the reason why IPL games work as an arthouse.

You are literally supposed to not have fun with it(which was described as "the house of bones concept" in one of the interviews), and it empowers the hopeless narrative most of their games have. You don't play them to relax. Your plans will fail, your supplies will dwindle and you will be out of time, and that is a gameplay foundation.

This is how you do games as an art - the player is not some observer like in books or movies or theather, but has a role in the game itself - the player also suffers together with the characters and truly feels the hopelessness of a doomed steppe town/the void because he himself feels doomed and vulnerable.

But instead people think that making riskless walking simulator while the player hears some pretentious commentary is the way to go.

Past levels of profit are long forgotten. Studios don't need to push lootboxes or multimillion dollar marketing campaigns to be profitable, but investors always demand more. Making a game that makes "as much money as the last one" is ideal for developers who would want to keep themselves employed, and utterly anathema to investors who shut down a studio if it's only as successful as it used to be. They don't do AAA marketing and shitcan smaller/innovative projects in order to stay afloat, so don't ever repeat the lie that any of this is "necessary" or "keeping studios in business". It's pure greed.

Man, I wish I got the skills of those artists.
HD sprites and low-poly games seem to be able to stand the test of time.

this, Pathologic and The Void are both some of the hardest horror games Ive played, theyre just impenetrable for casuls

Cuphead isnt even near on levels of MS you dipshit, download an emulator or get an old ps2 anthology you fag

You grew up and now it's over. What will you do with life now?

And with that, we had a ton of fuckwad hipsters with worthless degrees who could not find jobs elsewhere being hired into vydya industry.

Nice, I'll be looking forward to it.

im interessed but im not seen pc release.

(checked)
Just takes practice, user.
Lots of practice
Plus time and sacrifices to your social life, love life, and other opportunities
There are reasons that truly skilled artists are always screwed up in the head

pc release will probably happen when the game is done period, its still in development. you can find a comiket release which is some of the game.

Because the gaming-media actually managed to manipulated gamers into thinking masculine games were bad. Hence the whole bad sentiment against "dude-bro" games.

God is not real; I am smart.

SNK really was the king of sprites back in day, its a shame that they no longer made any of them except for new OCs in the new gachashit metal slug, lets not talk about that. It's understandable that they finally moved to 3D, but yeah their sprites were just absolute magic to look at.

Too bad the folks behind those sprites won't live to tell their secrets. Anyways, its always saddening to see old maestros pass away, they graced the world with works that stood above the rest and against the test of time, and yet they will move on from this world just like the rest.
R.I.P Disney's old guard

Too bad that most of the 'dude-bros' don't even listen to that gay shit, they just play whatever mainstream games that they happen to like. But seriously, we've been so roundabout that chads are considered as an ideal figure to look-up to in the imageboards, oh how far have we came backNot that i mind, i started to exercise daily thanks to this

That's actually an NSA employee pictured in that image.

Games were always gay.

We could make our own platform like itch.io except we ban fags and women.

Are you suggesting NES inspired indie games aren't a thing?

I mean, come on man. For fuck's sake.

pc games

no.

Then what are you complaining about?

Looks like Muramasa: The Demon Blade but 3d and with a loli and hookshot, will look forward to it.

Because I can count them on one hand.

I'm gonna keep posting it at every reasonable opportunity because I've been posting it for 2 years straight and people like you are still discovering it exists

Good ones maybe. There's no shortage of attempts.

I say this as a thank you, by the way, for it is motivation to spread a good thing that people have genuine interest in.

But Holla Forums loves PC games. Are you suggesting that Holla Forums is full of faggots?

Liberal marxists faggot took over.

Nigger seriously? The one that looked like straight out of Miniclip's ass with shitty audio?

Horizon Zero Dawn is console exclusive though.

6 may have some blasted out sound effects and a really uninspired Shinji Mikami soundtrack but it's definitely a step up in gameplay from 4 and 5.

I'm not suggesting it, I'm reciting fact from the encyclopedia Holla Forumsirginae

Meanwhile PC has Moonman Doom.

Well fuck. We're gonna need a bigger cattleprod.

>the (((modding))) community
oh boy here we go

get 'em mike

Bet you're a literal nigger too

What's so bad about 5? I like 5.

edgy

You call this a step up? I call it: "We're going broke"

I really wanted to play this game for a long time but there was an incompatibility issue with my hardware that caused it to crash on launch. Now that I looked up the issue again it looks like the game doesn't install some obscure sound library by default and you have to dig to find it. I guess I'm off to play it.

Me too but the game is really short and the sliding control was always terrible. Also has a really awful melee scoring exploit in the first mission.

You bet I do. The chaining system brought a level of depth to scoring that the series had been missing since Metal Slug 2, the character differences are another level of depth to encourage replay, and 6 has some pretty nice bosses and minibosses (wish it had a lot more but 7 rectified that). What exactly are you complaining about? The graphics? The presentation? Have you ever even played a Metal Slug game seriously?

It's not the 90s-00s anymore. The refinement process almost all studios go through simply doesn't exist. A studios first or second game has to be their landmark title (which is extremely rare)

That's not even considering how SJWs have turned the entire indie market into a power pyramid. Everytime I get into a discussion with anons on here about how the SJWs have no power I end up realizing they have even more power than I first anticipated. If SJWs are screeching about a game, it already somehow caught on like wildfire without involving them and they can't do anything about it, and will suppress that studios next title or do anything to harm them over the long run.

Assuming you don't get lucky and don't end up with a meme trailer you're at their mercy. I was watching a GDC video where a guy essentially was talking about how to shill your game at conventions. It was like 30 minutes long, and at the end he basically said "Yeah, this doesn’t help sales btw. What you do is you go to the parties afterwards and make connections. Like I met the extra-credits guys who got me in touch with a publisher". That guy later sold hundreds of thousands of copies, and his game didn't look particularly good. He just abused the fuck out of his connections and had a decent enough product to appeal to normalfags.

If you know all this information you could potentially manipulate the SJW crowd enough to get exposure and independence from them, although it's unlikely the average indie game dev knows this, so they all rely on hoping their game takes off like a meme. The only outlet around the power pyramid besides meme'ing, is probably shilling to 4cuck. Since streamers and reddit are probably too over-saturated with shilling.

No, most normalfags and dude-bros have dropped out of gaming again, mainly thanks to games becoming increasingly faggy.

Dude-bros are fags though. I loath their mentality. But part of changing gaming into fag-central was to manipulate the gamers into thinking masculine-games were associated with the douches that we call dude-bros. And thus, they effectively killed off masculine games without any resistance from gamers because they already hated the fanbase of such games.

I mean, just look at Duke Nukem Forever. It's a decent fps-games. It's the Duke. It's masculine as hell. And it got panned for it, did anyone complain? No, all fell for the proto-SJW-shit.

Who would have been able to predict the SJW takeover? And it wasn't really that people hated dude-bros, because tons of the Doom style FPS where like that. Everyone just hated dumbed down shit for fucking retards, and gears of war, cod, etc which was dominating the scene at the time. Dude-bro let you pretty much instantly identify what kinda shooter you where talking about.

lol fuck off HL2 kiddie.

Every time

DNF was just mediocre, and disappointing after such a wait.

don't worry user, there are still manly games

Do you not remember the brown and gray, chest high walls era of games?

Nothing makes me more angry than the "nobody makes good games anymore" mentality. "All big games suck," "all indie games are walking simulators," "[political bogeyman] ruined video games," and the like. When people say this, you can guarantee that they've made zero effort to actually search for fun shit outside of what they see on Holla Forums or hear through word of mouth. Their entire world is what's hot in AAA. Even if you ignore the smattering of good games from decently large studios, there are so many indie games made - and so many resources to sift through the endless trash and find real gems, buried beneath Russian asset flips and stream bait.

Guess what? The same thing was true back then. Is everyone here underaged or am I the only one who remembers playing shovelware garbage? Take off your rose tinted goggles and try to remember the worst games you ever played. Even in the golden years, easily 95% of what was in stock at your local game store was fucking garbage.

Fuck off fag. I'm talking a specific type of game here, one that is getting rarer to find- fast paced, polished action games with minimal interruption. Games back then were simply better in that they focused exclusively on gameplay and level design, had no bloat or fat to pad the game's length, and were the more better for it. Games nowadays are all samey, overproduced, insipid, dumbed down hollywood shit with intermitent gameplay and braindead level design. Find me a single game in any genre or series that wasn't done better in the 90's or early 00.

No one is saying bad games didn't exist back then dipshit, I'm saying that badass games like metal slug, megaman, gouls n ghosts, virtua fighter f-zero etc were the standard and were being released on a weekly basis wereas these days you'd be lucky to find more than a handful per year, if you're lucky. Games have clearly shifted in focus and no longer push gameplay, but narrative and dialog. Don't pretend like you know better than me or anyone here.

Fuck off and go back to neogaf retard.

this

This shit activates my almonds tbh, even if its done as a joke

Find me a single game in any genre or series that wasn't done better in the 90's or early 00s.
A'ight, don't backpedal just now ok?

I need to know; Why do they always open their mouths like that when taking pictures?

low self esteem.

Let me recall:

The rise of (((Western))) developers happened. Every faggot who ever bought a micro$oft (((xbox))) is responsible for this.

It looks like a cheap shitty hentai game. Just needs the rape death animations.

I would argue that it all started in 2000 (closing of Looking Glass Studios, Daikatana) and culminated in 2004 and the 2007 was only the final turning point.

You can't be serious. 4 was basically a Frankensteinian ROMhack that was put together by a Korean studio that briefly held the rights when SNK declared bankruptcy.

And 5 was a short, highly rushed game. 5 probably could have been a superb entry, if they got rid of those stupid sliding controls and put in all the content they never got to finish.

Honestly, i've never had any problem with the sliding. It's doesn't hinder me as some anons might say since its activated by crounch + jump, which you'll almost never do in active gameplay. Granted it does needs getting used to but its a live-saver once you got the hang of it.
The biggest let-down is probably at how rushed the game is. Loads of unused assets, planned levels, scrapped bosses, and the overall unfinished feel of the whole game. I mean, this game only have 5 levels, and the gametime doesn't even came close to Metal Slug 1. Its also disappointing at how underpowered the Slug Gunner is. It has alot of neat animations and even an alt-mode. However, its too cumbersome in its mech state, with the pile-bunker melee being a let-down of not dealing enough damage when compared to using the regular machine gun. So you'll be using the slug-mode most of the time.
And goddamn, you can't even use the Black Hound? What a cockblock

Now post the best gril of the MS series

Hey, fuck you what kind of hentai games where you can toil the soil and enjoy the season's bountiful harvest ?
Checkmate atheists

Shovel Knight had the perfect nostalgia marketing campaign. Downwell became a huge sales success AFTER Matthew Matosis's video on it. Super Hexagon is an anomaly. Those are just the rare success stories. There are so many Castlevania, Megaman and Link To The Past clones on Steam that are pretty good but sold like shit. There is a market for gamey games. But not so much for NES type games.

Why is there no lighting? Why is there three other classes that are just hitler again? Why are the health pickups just booze? Hitler wasn't a hard drinker.

I loved the theme of MS5. Being in a counter-strike to a guerilla war was a really interesting concept. All the small details like having guns akimbo, sliding and using the unwieldly Slug Gunner gave the game a really gritty action movie feel. The game also felt a bit clunky in places, but I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. I particularly liked the Slug Gunner's melee attack. You can feel how powerful it is as an attack, since the punch is loud, the attack is fast but powerful, and the after-animation shows the arm emptying a bunch of gatling bullets. That is fucking rule-of-cool right there.

The MS series also made tons of movie references in their games, but they are sometimes hard to pin down since there are a lot of those. One obvious reference is to the Independence Day movie in the final level of MSX. I also found this part of the game in pic related to be a little more than coincidence. It is this incredible but subtle attention to detail that I always admire in any sort of media. It really shows the creators love for their work.

Well it looks like it was demo'd with just the vanilla Doom II mapset. That said yeah, the item replacements are kinda weird.

Vanilla doom 2 has all sorts of lighting though.

Ah yeah, shit my bad.

This.

I know that feel bro… This place is infested with millenials that don't even know to wipe their own ass (bills)

No shit, and we complain here of bad games because we have newee standarts that we can compare, if we didn't then we couldn't complain! Stop being a moron, you are not always right because nobody is always right, and if you think of yourself that way, then you are deslusioned, NOT always right… I am sorry, but this is the truth.

I agree.

I Agree.

I agree with this too… But overall the game was and addiction anyways, it had good and bad things…

Don't worry. SCVI is on the way.

Nah, go fuck yourself. The point is fucking simple: games polished to perfection with fun mechanics and no bullshit = increasingly rare, used to be the norm. Instead replaced with grounded walk & talk storytelling "experiences" with shit mechanics, constant interruption and realistic movement & physics, which stifle gameplay, level design and creativity.
But not ackshually every game blah blah blah. I know that, you worthless sperg.
Shove that little dumbfuck rant up your asshole, dipshit. You made no point.

I'm obviously excluding rpgs asswipe, because no shit. I'm not retarded. Literally the only genre that has required a story since the very fucking begining. I'm clearly not talking about those. Notice the cute little pictures and videos I've been posting throughout the thread? Do they look like rpgs? Do you think they'd benefit from realism, having 10 minute cutscenes every fifth step, walk & talk segments, scripted gameplay and qte's?

Because you're hardcore autists who love to endlessly discuss bullshit lore, loli visual novels and best girls. You make me sick. Hang yourselves.

Isn't that the guy who was called a cuck in court after throwing a huge bitchfit about the word?

Yes.

He is also currently suing Patreon, three Patreon users, the companies the one of Patreon users works for for about half a million dollars because the three Patreon users made fun of him and Patreon ignored his attempts to get them banned.

That game looks terrible. All the shit scrolling by in the foreground and background distracts from your actual playable area as you move. Which of these rocks am I going to land on? The one in the back, or the one in the front? Or am I going to land in that little path in between? Who fucking knows? You'll spend every second trying to reconcile this neverending nauseating confusion instead of actually enjoying the game. That's one of the many benefits of using static 2D sprites in a side scroller. When you make everything a steaming pile of 3DPD pigshit, you can't really tell what things are or what's going on at a glance. When you have to constantly THINK about what you're looking at in order to understand what's going on, it sucks the fun out of the game. Static 2D sprites are more like symbols which your brain can instantly recognize. It taps into the specialized neurons we use for reading, interpreting speech, and so on. It lets us understand the scene at a glance and react accordingly. However, when everything is 3DPD it makes characters, weapons, terrain, all look like the same shit and you can't tell what's going on at a glance anymore. It's fucking stupid to do this in a game. What's the point of having a "beautiful" background scrolling by, such as what is seen in my second attached screenshot? It just taunts you with a view into an area that you can't explore because you can only move left and right, and distracts from gameplay because you want to look away from the critical action and stare at the background instead, similar to what happens when you pass a hot chick on the sidewalk while driving. Games like this are a clusterfuck of disappointment, distraction, and confusion. It's like if you took the worst parts of 3DPD real life with all its depressing limitations and turned it into a game. Who could possibly enjoy this shit? If I want to be miserable in a confusing 3DPD world where I have no freedom, then I'll simply leave the house. At least the real world is multiplayer, unlike this game, where I'm required to feel the giant sucking sound of my eternal solitude as I play it. No thanks, I'd rather chop my own dick off than play this game.

The ones in the foreground, anybody who's not retarded will be able to see that.
See above.
No no no, YOU will because you're mentally retarded. Nobody else has trouble with this.

It's unbelievable that i share the same space as you on this board
You want a real example of confusing platforming? Wand of Gamelon

Git gud and play games before posting faggot

4 sure is
5 is good but incomplete, 6 is good, 7 is great and Advance is great.

In no era were games "polished to perfection" the rule rather than the exception.
There are lots of people making old school video games. Literally just go search "retro", or "NES" on Steam. I can't tell you if those games are good or not. I don't know your tastes, but If you can't find at least a dozen games to enjoy, I don't know what to say.

lol go back.

I thought the NSA exclusively recruited from
US naval intelligence to prevent another Snowden-tier clusterfuck. Don't fucking tell me that there are diversity quotas in the motherfucking intelligence community. Sage for off topic

That's the way your average spook looks nowadays. :^)

You must be baiting…You can't be that retarded.

fuck sake…. gamey games = many in past. Not many in present. Clear enough?

Already played most of the worthwhile ones. Good indies aren't that numerous.

You could try an actual reply, fuckstain.

How many is enough? You could probably find hundreds. Here's one I just discovered with 30 seconds of searching. Looks alright to me.

the write is kinda cheezy but besides that is a pretty good game

aw shit they got a cooking system?

Cuphead is most likely the same genre and it came out late last year you mouth breathing retard. Its rating is overwhelmingly positive on steam and went platinum in a month, which is amazing for an indie game. Holla Forums in general loved the game too. Are you just trying to bait me by making the thread like that or are you actually fucking obvious about what has been going on?

Cuphead is shit.

Yes there are hundreds of indie releases each year. Only about a dozen of them hold any appeal at all, while an even lower number might even look compelling enough to actually pay for. The rest is shovelware spam or piss poor attempts.
It's not like the store is just brimming with yoshi's island's or god hand's just waiting to be discovered.

I expect better from anons.

Yes, but the world has never been brimming with Yoshi's Islands or God Hands. I don't know when this mythical period when all time classic games released on a weekly basis was supposed to have occurred, but I don't remember it.

I'm not strictly speaking quality, but design philosophy (gameplay first). There sure were a metric fuckton of great gameplay based games released in 1995 for example between all platforms. Games that were the whole package instead of only excelling at a single aspect. Games like that are harder and harder to find. Game companies are moving away from those principles and designing games as "cinematic experiences" first, with gameplay merely serving the story rather than the other way around. The number of releases is going way down with games taking longer to make as well, so you get an overall lower amount of games to pick from than in past times.

Hi VentureBeat!

Do you guys have ever played platformers with hand drawn sprites? Mickey Mania, Aladdin for the genesis or Earthworm jim? Cuphead have much more common with them and share the same issues with the hitboxes.

I hate kikes as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't call The Harvester a beta. That fat fuck bageled more bitches than Tony Soprano.

Look up "fear grimace".