Why is the dragon age shit?

been doing another playthrough of the series and wanted to know Holla Forums's opinion on it, specifically why dragon age 2 and inquisition are hated.

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3496
help.ea.com/en-ca/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/#dragonage
qwinnmods.com/download/qwinns-ultimate-dragon-age-origins-fixpack-v3-4/
youtube.com/watch?v=cPyax1zS-t8
vidlii.com/watch?v=XypUTlyTnCN
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's shit because Bioware has never made a good game in their studios existence. Them making a game that harkens back to their studios earlier RPGs is just them making the same shitty RPGs they had been doing for 10 years at that point. The games got worse not because they casualized or ruined something great, but just because Bioware is eternally incompetent.

First one was okay. Second was a dumpster fire. Third was a dumpster fire that a bunch of cucks kept dumping more and more trash and gasoline on.

el goblino

i personally loved origins, i've always had a hard time trying to point out why the story was shit for da2 and inquisition.

Heartily kek'd, then came to the thought that I've never heard the concept before.

Just weak on all fronts, mediocre writing, bad acting, etc. Would have been better as an expansion to the first game.

Fine mechanically and they actually improved some game elements, but the writing and characters are so bad that they feel more like a parody of BioWare's worst tendencies than a serious attempt at a game. Virtually all characters are hideous (honestly up to bat for the ugliest playable characters in any game ever), one-dimensional, and horribly written, as if absolutely no effort was put into conceptualizing them. I don't know if any voice actor could have saved the flat lines they had to read, but the acting wasn't great either. To top it all off, the main story itself was a bland production so forgettable that I literally forgot what it was about. Something about the return of some great evil I think.

It's a poor attempt to try and recreate another BG series

Also this, Bioware really isn't that great, their "greatest" games generally had worse systems in them than older crpgs

I actually really liked Jade Empire, but Bioware suffers from not only EA, but just losing basically all of their talent through the years and highering shitty replacements

like i said, i have a hard time trying to point out why a story is bad, anyone able to clarify a little more?

Unplayable due to the worst character dialogue, Pup.

Sooo reading between the lines, you're another vodkanigger making a medieval/high fantasy game and this thread is you doing market research?

Let him, another KC:D is better than another CISquisition

I liked Origins just fine, but it and Mass Effect were my first RPGs because I'm a youngfag; I think you probably had the same experience.
Well you need to think about what the purpose of the story is. DA:O's story was serviceable because it gave your character an excuse to go around to each major location in Ferelden and see the different people and history Bioware created. It did almost nothing interesting (and many things poorly, such as the Deep Roads and the Fade), but it worked adequately.

Given Origins was on such a large scale, DA2 wanted to be more personal and show what the effects of running from the Blight actually were for your average Joe Farmer. This isn't necessarily a bad idea because the giant, world-ending events in Bioware games (and Origins in particular) tend to be glossed over. Because of this, Bioware wanted the story to be more down-to-earth and focus more on the personal ramifications of the mage-templar conflict, as well as demonstrating the effects of the player's choice on a longer time frame. Not a bad idea, but their writers clearly had no idea what that meant in terms of the individual details and scenes.

thanks, and the mage's name was anders and yeah he was a total edgy cunt and i did not care for him. he was better in awakening.

I liked it because it was the only decent RPG to have come out in years, especially if you're only counting fantasy RPGs
Personally i blame NWN2 for not being satisfying enough, although the expansions weren't bad, all in all it had a lack luster performance when compared to NWN

Also anyone got that bioware bingo chart?
you know, the one which always gets a bingo on all their games?

I miss his cute voice

Reminder that gameplaywise Aarklash Legacy is the superior game. It's actually difficult, there's a shitton of synergy between any of your four selected characters(which truly shines in that one part of the game where your party is split up and they put the least desirable combinations in your party) and most of all, every boss is some giant breasted monster.
Pirate it and play it, it's like 4 hours at most and it's an incredibly short but sweet low budget game.
Story and world wise though, the game outright spoils the twists in the loading screens and the voice acting is on par with other cyanide studio games.

The second game just shits on everything Origins built up. There's literally nothing DA2 improves upon or is even at equal footing with DAO. I know DAI gets shit on more here than DA2 does, but it's actually a better game than DA2. DAI actually improves upon DA2. DAI is still an awful game compared to DAO, but it's no where near as offensive as DA2. I don't care what anyone here says, DA2 is the most ungodly abortion of a sequel to a good game that I've ever had the unpleasure of playing.

I looked into it and I really like the look of the battle system, but…no create-a-character feature? That's like half the reason I play western RPGs.

Aside from its awful writing and faggotry, 2 is just an awful game from a mechanic standpoint. The switch from an overworld map to a hub map was a bad one. Combat is awful, just button mashing. And the enemies are terrible too, fights go on for way too long. Up ot 3-4 waves of enemies just spawning in out of thin air when you think you're finally done with the battle.
Hardly any maps to explore, most areas will be the same reused map but possibly flipped around or starting you from a different point of the map. Its awful.

I didn't play DA:I because I don't get fooled twice.

I enjoyed the lore and how it mirrored our worlds medieval era, still can't decide if it was good or bad at how fast they shit the bed with it though.

It's redundant to call magicians 'homosexual' though. These physically weak faggots usually lack muscles and have the physique of a skinny effeminate fag.

There's merit to caving in skulls with your fists or pieces of metal, just as there is setting a man on fire with your mind.

(checked)
I've seen this webm a few times, what's it from?

i forget which video but it's from a user on youtube called smudboy he's made critiques of the dragon age and mass effect series. i completely forgot about him for a long while, he's one of the big reasons why i stayed away from andromeda.

Are you fucking dense?
What thread are you in?

I'm asking about the video, retard, not the games.

Cheers, user.

Every time a game like this comes out, with hamfisted talking points about modern political issues that have nothing to do with the plot, I secretly wish there was a mod that would invert the stance on all of the issues, but not the delivery, just to demonstrate how retarded the practice is. But deep down, I know that the people on the team who needed it would just interpret it as disagreement.

The second game recycles locations too much, the combat could have been good but sucks, builds suck, story isn't enough to keep you going except for Cassandra cutscenes which add intrigue and makes you want to know more. Which leads me to the third game: after the weak masturbation without climax that was 2, I was really interested in playing 3 because of Cassandra. Turns out Cassandra was gimped down to make the player character feel special and the game is quite literally a single player MMO and there is no story to help you keep playing just boring grind sidequests and I quit before I completed the first zone. And the combat sucks a bag of nigger dicks.

I disagree, with 2 you at least get fed story bits at a frequent pace, even if the story sucks you have an aim of some kind, sidequests have more than an excuse to exist by letting you make decisions, like every other previous BioWare RPG. In DAI all you do is collect shit for some jackass nobody. It would be okay if the combat was enjoyable but it feels like a chore, more so than DA2 combat, and after the intro you are stuck doing sidequests for hours.

Play them yourself you fuck

It's the vidya equivalent of Game of Thrones. Even the first game was fucking unbearable with how formulaic it was while simultaneously trying to be edgy. The only fun part of DA:O was seeing the Codex roast Gayder over it until he fled like a bitch.

Vee think you should kill yourself via ritual castration.

Origins and ME2 were Bioware's last decent games

I have these.

Also this.

I'm glad DA:2 was the first game i ever pre-ordered and thus the last since it was such a fucking disappointment that i'l never EVER trust a dev enough for pre-orders again.

because bioware is full of fags and cunts

DA:2 was the first casualty and a signal to the emergence of SJWs. Up until then games were more or less free of the marxist crap.
Any oldfags remember Hepler and her fag magicians?
I was so fucking mad about the this repetitive, preachy, unremarkable shit of a game.
Good thing I pirated it.

Origins was great though.

Because the writers use it to unironically shove their gay fanfictions into the game, also combat is really watered down

What a shit game. And Cisquisition somehow managed to be even worse.

The series started out as a vastly inferior 3D version of Baldur's Gate with a story and setting as bland as you could possibly make it. The sequels took that and dumbed down the gameplay further and injected a large dose of SJW agenda. That pretty much sums it up I think. Mass Effect, which was their other OC endeavour, was much better executed.

Why the fuck do you faggots pretent the first games were any better. It was low tier rpg that went full sjw later on, nothing of value was lost. Honestly dragon age is shit among other fantasy rpg titles

For the same reason fuckwits think Mass Effect was ever good. Babby's first "RPG" and all.

Andromeda is much worse than dragon age inquisition. Just my two cents. Even if its gay, its not really a bad video game.

The witcher books had faggot magicians and lesbo sorceresses. Also Ciri is a huge lesbian. But what else do you expect from a lefty power trip?

Mass Effect was good though. Although obviously dumbed down for consoles it was the closest we got to another Starflight and Star Control.

I dunno, I think they're equally awful but for different reasons. Andromeda was a horrible rushjob written by progressive faggots but it had a solid gameplay core. Inquisition was a polished turd with awful MMO combat and again written by complete leftist hacks.

Bioware was never good.

What part of it was good?

Kill yourself you stupid faggot.

You're right, The Dragon Age sucks, they are so pretentious and greedy assholes.
The Wyvern Age was the best, those guys were down to earth, and fun to hang out with.

The neat soundtrack. The blue space babes. The Syd Mead aesthetic. The lore. The shooting that got better with each entry. Planetary exploration.

This is the intelligence of the average ME fan.

exploration is fun if there is something to discover and the traversal is good, sadly ME has failed in both of these ascepts.
The weapons are boring, the only fun one was the blackhole gun, but they limit the ammo so much that I never used it thinking about how I may need that destructive force if I encountered a tough boss, never happened.
The lore is good, but adverage, pay most non-retarded people for a year to do nothing but think of a universe and they'd come up with a universe just as compelling if not more than ME's

Because the planets in Star Control 2 were all incredible marvels with super interesting things to find on them, right? The crappy ship combat was oh so much superior to the shooting mechanics of Mass Effect? You're kidding yourself, lad.

I look forward to the day that happens but until then Mass Effect is still the best thing we're going to get. Pretty much the only thing we're going to get in the niche.

Star Control came 20 years ago. The fact you defend ME by comparing it to a game from two decades back, that still manages to be the superior game by the way, is laughable. Goes to show what pathetic cucks the ME fans really are.

I greatly enjoyed Dragon Age Origins. The origins gimmick was nice and it offered a lot of choices. It also wasn't afraid to lock shit away from you if you made the wrong choices. For example, some quests and story decisions are only availiable to mages, you can't marry Alistair as anything other than a human noble, etc. There were also interesting decisions when it came to characters.

Awakening was pretty good as well, but a bit more linear. You could no longer talk to your comanions wherever you wanted so you couldn't kiss them in front of your party and listen to their commentary, but the core was still there. It introduced interesting villains and a new threat: darkspawn becoming intelligent. It was never brought up again.

DA2 had the worst copypaste issue that I've ever seen. Every cave was the same, you spent the entire game in an area the size of Orzammar and none of your choices mattered. The new redesign made every armor look ugly, it had day one dlc companion (which I didn't know about and played the game without him). The combat animations switched from more realistoc to anime, so now the glowing anime albino elf could literally teleport behind somebody and slash them five times in one second with a greatsword. The enemy spawn system made tactics worthless, since enemies spawn around you.

It introduces the Mass Effect style menu and dialogue system, that doesn't fit the game at all. Even worse, they knew it wasn't a good way to see what the character will say, so they added some silly icons. The game also refuses to lock you out of shit, no matter how little sense it makes. Every companion in the game is Hawkesexual. As in, if you play a woman, Anders is a straight man. If you play a man, Anders mentions that he had a gay lover. It's the biggest fujobait.
It destroyed the characters set up by the previous games. Anders was a fun-loving dude who ran away from the circle and became a Grey Warden, no problem. Justice was a cool ghost in a corpse who always wanted to do the right thing. DA2 combines them into terrorist, the edge personified. Even worse, you need to go to their house to speak with them. I don't want to do that shit, it's just a timewaster made to hide how little content the game has.

The game gives zero shit about player choice. Killed Flemeth in the last game? She's in the opening cutscene. Cut Leliana's head off? She's back. Want to choose which sibling dies in the beginning? Tough shit, if you are a mage Bethany dies, if you are Rogue/Warrior Carver dies. It doesn't matter anyway, since they disappear after the first act.

It's still not good enough because it's a shit game with a shit story.

Assblasted Biodrone detected!
Go suck off Jamal and Treyqwan after they're done creampieing your wife and daughter.

This.
One is a PC game 20 years prior with little to no budget.
I like Mass Effect but user, it was so big there were tie in ads with The Walking Dead tv show and it had a $20 million minimum advertising budget.

I'm going to ignore the fact that Star Citizen is better at accomplishing what it set out to do and just point out that you may actually have problems if your first comparison to compare it to is something that far ago, or worse, your genre just has that much of a problem.

Mass Effect is absolutely not "all we've got in the niche" in terms of space RPG.
I don't even enjoy the genre and I know that.

What game from 20 years ago isn't superior to the garbage we get today?

Oh, so you agree ME is garbage? Okay.

Dragon Age 2 is special kind of shit, it pretends to be an RPG from the outside while being completely linear at parts, and where it isnt its copy pasting areas

love the characters in DA2 thou

It isn't vaporware anymore?
This isn't actually true, both Starflight and Star Control 2 had pretty big budgets for their time and you also have to take into consideration that higher fidelity means that games became much more expensive to make. If they had spent the same budget on something less involved like Star Control 2 they could have made something truly impressive but it wouldn't sell because consumers want graphics.

Not if you compare it to current games. But yes, 95% or so of modern games are garbage compared to the games of the past.

kill yourself, a game were you just press RT and press XBAY when you have enouth mana is retarded if fine mecanically for you?
a game were hiting an oponent have 0 feeling into it.
a game with so few spell for a mage ?
The game is only fun at the begining, you create a character, play until you reach the castle then redo because it will just be about needless and pointless grind to hide the fact that the main mission is just about 10 quests TOPS. hell, you even have map who are completly useless and cost tons of point to unlock.
the game have only visuals to save it from being utter shit … like a majority of modern game btw.
DA:inquisition is at the same level of DA:II with just better graphic and an even more arcade/straightforward gameplay with stiffer character/gameplay at least DA:II had enjoyable combat and synch kills
It's RPG aspect is barebone, just because you have the option to craft items doesn t make it an rpg. RPG is about adventure, roleplay, and thus: character that comme with you, even more so when they always stay with you…

the 2nd thing that save the game is killian's review yea i know " muh, e-celeb" but i do not care i liked it

DA:II was made in a year they just made the combat more dynamic and the rest was a worth no more than DA:O's DLC. (ex: amarantine)

As far as I've heard DA2 was originally a DAO DLC that they decided to release as a full sequel.

ME looked like garbage even when it was first released, and had some of the stiffest and amateurish animations of any AAA title to date, to say nothing of the shit modeling and texture work. Why do you continue to pretend it's a good game.

Is stereotypical AN ANCIENT EVIL HAS AWOKEN BioWare garbage they've been peddling for years.

Stereotypical sci-fi setting, and a complete ripoff of various tropes from various other IPs.

It's a godawful third person corridor shooter that plays like shit with some bullshit stats so BioWare can slap "RPG" on the box.

On top of that here we have a game where you are given a ship, but in the span of three high budget games you never actually get to fight with it, exploration that might as well not be there because all you fucking do is drive around the same desert painted differently and move from one bland copypasted building to another. Even the waifus are complete fucking garbage.

Dragon Age Inquisition is a fucking joke.

Most things in the game feel like the devs saw the complaints people had for second game and did some shit to say they fixed them, but there is no actual work put in. Disliked the small copypasted area? Have a bunch of big areas, filled with completely fucking nothing. Disliked every characters being Hawkesexual? Have every character obnoxiously pushing their sexuality in your face. Wanted some more of the Architect from Awakening? Here's Corypheus, only he is a generic boring cunt who has nothing to do with that plotline at all.
They claim to have added the gear system back in but it's bullshit. The companions have about three costumes each, and when putting on gear it changes to that. If you put something on Blackwall and Sera they will look like completely different articles of clothing.
The game is plagued by MMO-style quests which are a complete waste of time and bring you nothing. They no longer zoom in in dialogue anymore, it feels like a less interesting WoW quest. Even worse are the mobile game style quests. In the war room you can send spies to do shit for you, and it will be done in multiple real-time hours. Thankfully you can just alt+tab and change time on your pc, the fucking game won't know the difference. You are forced to do these quests to progress the main story.

Everyone looks even uglier than in DA2, and that game made everyone wear edgelord armor, gave them sixheads and giraffe necks. In Inquisition everyone has ridiculously pronounced cheekbones and looks greasier than the cast of Predator. Female models are ridiculously bad the infamous Sera belly tits and the males all look like they are doing Blue Steel and balding.

The story is utter shit. Your special main character unites everyone under him with ridiculous ease, being able to exterminate the entire templar order. The immense political power is handed to him on a silver platter and nobody gives a shit that he's a bumbling retard Qunari from bumfuck nowhere who can only speak in sarcastic quips with an annoying accent. The protag is the definition of Mary Sue.
At a certain point you travel about ten years forward in time and have to get back. And you do, and bring shit with you. It's not a dream or an illusion, you can fucking time travel now, shattering any stakes the story had. Why don't you fucking go back in time and stop Magisters from getting into the Black City? Why has nobody looked at it and went "yeah, that makes zero sense and obliterated the logic of the whole franchise, we probably shouldn't".

Well, they probably didn't because DAI is a pile of garbage quickly thrown together by an incompetent team of newcomers who don't know the history of the series. It was thrown together to appeal to the biggest crowd (open world, ubisoft style collectables, tacked on romance, speshul main character, fujobait and progressive pandering). It was a quick cashgrab to capitalise on a dead series, putting the final nail in the coffin. Same goes for ME Andromeda.
I sincerely hope that after Bioware's enevitable shutdown after the failure of Anthem, the employees responsible for these trainwrecks will never be hired by a gaming studio again.

I meant to say Star Control, the game that's 20 years old and not literal vaporware.

I believe it, they took the worst features from those Dlc's and made them unavoidable game mechanics. I didn't complain about it at first because the DLC was so short but when it became a game I wanted to kill myself.
Another reason i hate DA2 was how Anders personality completely changed and no its not because he became a faggot, I always knew he was a faggot with that fucking dress he called a robe. I hate him because he's a dumb faggot. in the DLC he just wanted to live his own life , DA2 he wants to start a revolution and kills innocent people all while sprouting how comprise is a bad thing. Went from my 2nd favorite dlc character to my most hated i slit his throat without feeling a single emotion other then contempt.

Yep it was complete shit. I pirated it tried it for 3 hours before i got bored. Then deleted it at the 6th hour once i unlocked and talked to all the characters.
The characters are the real deal breakers, each one is an obnoxious cunt you wouldn't want to associate with in real life.

I don't think you understand what mechanically means, he's not saying it has good gameplay

Mostly because I like being contrarian but also because I don't think it's nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. I really do love science fiction games and as such it's not shit, it's simply okay. Great ideas, not so great execution. Finally I have to say ship to ship combat was never a pull for me when it comes to these kind of games.
It's the only Bioware series with nice waifus actually.

Haven you gone back and played it? Those Mako parts were really bad. As for the Waifus barring the aliens they're all pretty boring.

No it did not.

slow ass combat
removal of equuipament edidt for party members, and a bit introduction to nu-dragon age, also the story is weaker thean the first
didnt played, but game became full nu-dragon age aso it has denuvo

I have actually, I find the Mako parts pretty comfy when the landscape isn't infuriating to drive through. I agree that they should have spent more effort on it but the thing about emptiness is that it makes the gameworld seem grander. I can't stand Skyrim style games where you can't go more than ten metres without a new location or encounter being found. The real issue was that the content wasn't enough when you actually found it.

When they removed the Mako the game felt a lot more claustrophobic and small. I think the reason not a lot of resources was put into the exploration was that it was optional. If you don't care for it you hardly ever has to use the Mako.

Dragon age always felt like a Chinese knockoff of The Witcher tbh.

you didn't miss much the character were even worse than 2

A few years ago i would have agreed but going back and using the mako and having to explore the whole planet got very irritating. But ME2 definitely felt smaller and less grand, shooting probes was silly.

rip sir Pounce-a-lot

ok then i am retarded.
What does mechanically means if it is not about the gameplay nor the progression system?

the witcher games are pretty damn good, but i heard the books were shit compared to another series it might've stolen from
cue the razorfist shill

There are a ton of better RPGs to play, honestly. Although a ton of old RPGs also require mods to fix their faults.

Actually that's incorrect. If you play a mage, bethany dies. If you don't, carver dies. They wrote it out for both of them. Apparently the starting party should only have 1 mage or shit. It's also an attempt at branching (in true biowarean fashion: perfectly parallel and functionally nigh-identical branches) and making the player feel how dangerous the darkspawn are (mission failed, but gaider believes this). An arc or two later though, the other one also leaves your party, although there are a few missions where your surviving sibling returns if you didn't get them killed (basically take sibling + anders on deep roads expedition = grey warden sibling, don't take anders but take sibling = dead sibling, leave sibling = enter circle of magi for beth or templars for carver). It's a really shitty version of branching though and at no point do you feel responsible for what you did. Also Beth will hate you if she enters the Grey Wardens (no real reason given) and likes it in the Circle of Magi (makes zero sense given how fucking insane Kirkwall is, but hey) while Carver likes the Grey Wardens and is otherwise cool with becoming a Templar. It was probably a "cool idea" they had that they managed to squeeze into the final product but they still failed to give you a reason to give a shit.

DA2 was cancer and hepler deserves all the shit she gets for the trash she came up with there, but at least in DAO hepler was responsible for writing the only interesting take on the standard fantasy setting: the dwarven society.

You dare say that to my face?
pic related is me

DAO was very blatant about it in most of its DLC. Return to Ostagar, The Darkspawn Chronicles, Leliana's Song, Witch Hunt. You could just see the lack of budget that went into the DLC, and how EA was already milking it. Actually Shale was originally supposed to be part of Redcliffe Village but Shale was cut out and re-added as free DLC as part of EA's "project 10 dollar" where they would make people with used copies have to spend $10 just to get the same shit a new copy gets. Ultimately relocating Shale made the game worse, but hey. Here's a video of Shale in Redcliffe, since modders discovered all that shit in the mod tools.

Actually a lot of restoration and bugfixing projects made extensive use of the details found inside DAO. As a matter of fact, DAO has a very robust set of mod tools, but it was also a pain in the ass to make shit. Also DAO used a proprietary lightmapper while their mod tools only offered a shitty cheap lightmapper, ensuring that almost no one would want to make DAO modules, since they would all look like complete shit thanks to the terrible lighting. You could re-render an existing level with the mod lightmapper and watch it become ugly as fuck.

There's a user campaign called Thirst though which adjusted for the bad lightmapping by manually placing a shit ton of light sources into the maps. Pretty good campaign overall: nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3496

video where?

Huh, how did I miss that. Well, right here.

Both book series are pretty bad but Moorcock is just awful, both due to being a hack writer and being one of the early cultural marxists.

wow its true holy shit. I remember there being a fuss about EA being greedy but i never gave much thought about it. Thanks user

Yeah DAO was blatantly reusing old shit in most dlcs, but it didn't pretend it was new shit.
In Dragon Age two I was shocked when i visited the second cave in the game and realised it was just the first cave in the game but with different loot. The entire layout of the area was the same. Every mansion and house in the game is the same. It was downright insulting.

really? never heard anything about that. haven't really come across any negative reviews of his work save for the sailor on the seas of fate graphic novel adaptation, maybe i didn't look deep enough.

To be fair, Dragon Age 2's opening takes place before you could possibly kill Flemeth in Origins. Specifically, even if you were to go straight to the Mage tower to grab Flemeth's book, you'd have to complete the area to leave and doing so advances the plot enough to remove Lothering from the map because it's been overrun by the Darkspawn horde.

Witcher books were meh. Typical fantasy shit, short stories collection was the only actually good one.

Elric creator is a total faglord that accuses everyone of stealing from him and Razorcuck is a contrarian tard that knows jack shit about vidya. He's one of the high functioning metal manchildren, pushing 30 and stuck with a cringy 16 year old edgelord mentality.

If I recall correctly, Flemeth does turn up later when you arrive in Kirkwall and the Blight has passed though so the point still stands.

have you tried Dragon age quest and legend mod ?
i heard it was THE big mod of DA:O with a whole new campaign and voice acting

Forgot to mention this: Speaking of bad DLC, Warden's Keep was assholish enough to place a DLC salesman right inside the party camp, and he'll hang there with an exclamation mark over his head (signifying an available quest) until you buy the DLC so you can play the quest. Fucking horrible. Whoever came up with that idea should be shot.

No, it was a spinoff that was turned into an entry of the main series and rushed out in a single year because EA was using a policy of "every studio needs to release a moneymaker every year so our beancounters are happy." Awakening was also a moneymaker earlier on. As a result DA2 was a complete rushjob and suffered for it considerably, nearly destroying the dragon age brand in the process. EA in general does a fine job of destroying the brand value of the studios they buy up.

No, it definitely pretended Shale was new shit. For a while they were pretending that Shale was cut due to budget issues and they could reintroduce it because of the extended deadline provided by EA (none of the this explains why they didn't integrate it into the game proper), but it was very clear that Shale had been fully integrated into Redcliffe before and was cut out to separately re-release as a "free" DLC so they could bilk 2nd-hand copies for money. Shale is probably the only DLC in all of DAO that would be recommended, otherwise you could just play the base game and never give a shit about all the awful (and overpowered) DLC. That reminds me, DAO also had DLC promo items that were stupidly fucking OP.

Curiously enough I think EA made all the Dragon Age DLC free now, probably because they couldn't be bothered to support the Dragon Age Social Network (which they killed anyway). Download DLC: help.ea.com/en-ca/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/#dragonage

Speaking of dumb changes, hell, after EA bought up Bioware suddenly their marketing 180'd and became edgy bloodspattered shit. It was so fucking dumb. I think EA might have also been behind some of the casualized design that made it into the final product, but you never know. BioWare itself wasn't very fucking bright either. I do know that Intimidate and Persuasion used to be separate skills, and that the ideal solution to the Brecilian Forest Elves vs Werewolves was supposed to be difficult to discover. But a ton of shit was cut from the game final for no apparent reason at all, and had to be implemented back in. Qwinn's latest ultimate fixpack has a lot of missing content restored iirc. It's like they just took out the flags for the cutscenes and forgot to put them back in, making the game so much worse in the process.

Even then a lot of design content is simply gone. For instance, for a Dwarf Noble, Gorim will not rejoin your party nor can you make your own character become king. This was supposed to be a key part of your Dwarf Noble character's personal drive (to become king) but they just scrapped it. You were also supposed to be able to side with the mages in the circle quest but they were rushed and only released a templar path with a very half-assed mage support option.

Game was a lot more ambitious than the shit that was ultimately shoveled out.

Never heard of it. Looks like it was pulled from DA Nexus years ago. You should definitely try Thirst though. No voice acting (which was another problem with DAO user modules: the cutscene system made voiceless characters seem fucking shitty) but it's a good campaign which unlike DAO offers a lot of decision-making with branching paths and consequences down the line.

I played the Dark Times act one. It added a bunch of companions but I didn't like it much. Ser Gilmore is great though, even though he is kind of another Alistair.

That pissed me off so much i pirated all the dlc afterwards. Was buying the basegame not enough bioware?
Ea is Cancer
Good times, their kryptonite meteor sword was so strong it was viable even in DAO Awakenings
end game
ok this is the first ive ever heard of this. Does it make the game better? more fun? I wouldn't mind going back. I always liked the Dwarven Noble even though personally ive never been a fan of dwarves.

to be fair the Voice acting is quite uneven but 100% enjoyable.
so are hillariously bad strange due to the way it was reccord, some are great 1:54 with perfect sound (no background noice, and effect matching the location the NPC is)

This thread is really bothering me.
You all need to fuck right off

2 was shit, in fact i think it was so bad that it ruined wrpgs for me.

DA2 also completely raped the characters of Merill, Isabella, and Anders. Meh, lore rape even existed as far back as the base game. You see, raw lyrium is supposed to be dangerous to touch, especially for mages, but then when you fight Branka you can tap lyrium fonts no problem and in Awakening you can make your own lyrium runes for no reason. Also in Awakening they retconned the Howe family's history in blatant contradiction to what the Human Noble Origin will tell you about them. You can't blame EA for all this. BioWare is just bad at keeping their story straight.

Bad game design honestly. The DLC and promo items all broke the loot-curve something fierce, by design. EA shoehorning at its finest. "How about we make people pay for cheat codes?" Starting with promo items is kinda OP.

It does. There's a bunch of broken dwarf content that it restores, along with fixing all kinds of stupid bugs in the base game: qwinnmods.com/download/qwinns-ultimate-dragon-age-origins-fixpack-v3-4/

You still don't get to become king, though. That's a separate questline Bioware was aiming towards but ultimately never implemented. DAO development basically fell short of having the actual good shit in the game. When EA extended their development deadline, it was done to make DAO (originally a PC-only release) a multi-platform console release mostly, although BioWare of course denied that.

youtube.com/watch?v=cPyax1zS-t8
My love for superman blind me from bad game design.
Holy hell, This is alot of cut content. It was released only a few months back too.

Oh fuck I forgot how dumb and bad that was. It was completely fucking random. They just insert superman's origin story into DAO so they could shoehorn in the starmetal for the OP Warden's Keep sword (there's also the 2 OP Grey Warden abilities it added). Maybe it was the dev's way of indicating how fucking dumb this insert is, but I can't help but suspect it was an actual superman fanboy.

The asari got the same treatment in ME:A. At least ME is dead.

Come back when you're not posting 4chan trash.

Enjoy

A species by definition cannot be all female. They're all Asari, that is their sex and their gender. This is one of the few times where a "well we're all over the place because we're weird aliens" makes sense.

They say they're not female, but they also say they're not women, and that "male" and "female" and gender division have no meaning to them. At the beginning of the conversation not seen in that webm the VI says that the gender binary of other species is irrelevant to the asari…right before she contradicts itself by saying what you see there.

It's not entirely accurate to say that asari is their sex and gender because those things don't mean anything to their mono-sexed, effectively gender-less species.

The fuck are you talking about? Did we read the same story?
The Asari are mono-gendered but consider themselves female. Their stages of life are all female themed "Maiden, Matron, and Matriarch". Their government and religion is all female gendered.
They didn't know an opposite gender existed until they went to outer space and met another alien species.

there is no way for bioware to reddem themself. it's already corrupted to the core.
Exterminatus must be used

Liked Sten and distinctly remembered his speech on how Woman can't be men in qunari. Iron Bull's ass pull was bullshit.
Ruining the Krogan,Asari, and the qunari. I wonder how many other lore they managed to destroy

wew

Who cares? Have your own opinions you spineless faggot.

that's actually a tranny ftm, so technically a literal woman

DA2's felicia day DLC also asspulled a female qun-following assassin. Nevermind that Sten will tell Leliana (who is also an assassin) that women have no place in fighting. Shit's retarded as fuck.

You'd also think that technology would have advanced to the point that there were no trannies at that stage

just that the game works and runs fine, you can have mechanically fine games that are complete dogshit and buggy games that end up being great
Another example of something like that is dark souls 3, mechanically it's fine, but it's not a good game

Sorry user DA2 was so shit i stopped halfway in and never looked back i could only stomach the same cave so many times.
This much lore breaking really makes me laugh.

i swear to god i don't believe these idiots read up on the lore other people created and then they have the nerve to be angry when other people point out the problems.

That'd make the game fantasy tbh.

Not trannies, just using words and concepts that don't even exist in their culture and language

HERE'S 5 BUCKS

vidlii.com/watch?v=XypUTlyTnCN

It's kinda ironic that in their crusade for virtue signalling that they just end up making the tranny look like a mere attention whore as opposed to someone who just wants to be opposite gender.

Yep, its not a nice thing to say but if you have an option to be whatever you want to be, and instead continue to be an anomaly, I think you enjoy the attention of being special more than you care about being the opposite gender or gender rights..

what? then it does mean it's about gameplay ..

i do not get it, aren't you mixing mechanically and technically?

what am i missing? i am clearly missing something right?
what do you mean by "works and run fine" if it's not about technical level nor gameplay?
I did not play dark souls, what mechanic is fine about it if it does not concern the stability/technical level nor its gameplay ? (and obviously not the story/immersion)

i miss games like DA:O
i miss RPG with silent protagonist because THAT is the only way they can make many dialogue choices ..

Dragon Age would have been infinitely better as a series if it had stuck with making "Origins" an actual thing. Having spin-offs might have been well and fine, but the series should have given you the option of carrying your old character through - so long as you didn't An Hero at the end. In which case, you could start off as some relatively green fag.

Of course, that would require thinking. Otherwise you end up with shit like TW3 where your actions/gear doesn't mean shit, since it just gets reset every game. But considering that you play a silent protagonist, it should have been simple if the team applied any effort.

The Darkspawn should have stayed the main threat. Especially since DA:I went ahead and had the boss be an ancient Darkspawn anyways.

There was a small backlash against silent characters like Link and Freeman. Plus at the time people really liked the dialogue wheel, i did too. But my god did they butcher it now every fucking game uses it including fallout.

I know it sounds simple but if you've every tried it you'll realize quickly its a horrific affair.
One: you have to pay attention to the number of flags you've set and which flag you consider important.
Two:In the New game you make the save file must be compatible across multiple platforms from PC to PS.
Three:Creating separate stories for each flags, and then adding more flags to connect em. one fuck up here can create days of headaches.
But most importantly is how to keep the character from being an op piece of shit. With a walking cheat code the game can get very dull fast.

I played through both of them and DA2 3 times, they're just ultimately bad. Also DA2 graphics being fucking ridiculous and somehow a downgrade from tint-ridden DA:O

To be honest I'd rather not just keep porting characters over from game to game because inevitably that's going to lead to power creep (see the power gap from the start of Origins where you're just some idiot to the end where you're the most dangerous person in Ferelden, then have that same progression but from the most dangerous in Ferelden to soloing dragons and shit. Then do it again).

What I'd have liked to have seen more off were the Origins- multiple different starting places for players that radically altered who they were and how they related to the world. Sadly it seems game devs nowadays are trying to do the opposite and make the players background a concrete thing that can't be changed at all (like in Fallout).

the backlash was only happening because the game was good and thus people wanted to listend to the hero.
I took dreamnt about having my character able to speak…

Future game shown to me the issue with voice acting in your main character RPG and DA:I is the best example of that with:

DA2 was made in a year, it was rushed, the game repeats the same dungeons a billion times, they removed companion customization, and the combat is more arcade. But the story is great.

DA3 is kinda the opposite, they putted too much on it, to the point it feels like a big empty MMO (with tons and tons of kill x amount of that thing to win the quest). But the writing and the characters are great (except for Sera), but the overall story is dull and boring.

This is some lazy bait.

Who gives a fuck? This is Holla Forums, reddit-kun, you don't have to wrap your opinions up in honeyed words to avoid downvotes.
下げ

… so fucking what? The world of Thedas had a lot more threats out there, and your character might be good, but was nowhere near the cap of what could be reached. Your Warden Mage was a fucking pleb compared to a proper Tevinter Magister, as an example. There was still ways to go.

The game could have taken advantage of that by switching to a full Dragon's Dogma route with giant monsters and shit. Hell, Inquisition did this sort of shit anyways with High Dragons out the ass and swarms of Pride Demons. That doesn't make any sense for the Inquisitor, who is just some random fuck. It makes a hell of a lot more sense for the Warden, who already succeed in putting down an Archdemon.

Ancient Darkspawn? Bring them on. Any smart Warden already put the Architect down - Those are perfect for mini-bosses. Certainly not worth making into the final boss of a game.

Power creep is great. Power creep lets the scale of the world get progressively bigger. Power creep is what means, instead of running away from that giant Nightmare Demon thing in Inquisition, you actually rush in and kill it. Because you can. Because you're the hero, and that's what you do. You don't leave people behind - You save everyone. Low level plebs? They can't. But you can.

Of course, Bioware doesn't have the sense to do that.

Never played Touhou, have you?

And the soul of the black knight lives on..
or its just a dullahan.

Thing is that I don't want to play an RPG which is constantly trying to top itself at every turn. That's just going to end up constantly inventing new super special kinds of demons to justify you not one shotting everything while the setting falls by the wayside. The more powerful the player the harder it is to justify them giving a shit about lower level issues. If high level in DA:O is around the point where the Warden is leading armies against the darkspawn then your power creep would be them soloing armies of darkspawn, and then inventing a new enemy once even the toughest darkspawn become worthless. Following that logic, where does that leave side-quests? Equipment progression? How do you even justify the Wardens constant power escalation? DA:O ran with the idea that ultimately the Warden was going to die in the end- if not from killing the Archdemon then going mad from the darkspawn blood or even just from some random mook getting in a lucky shot. If you instead say that the Warden just keeps getting stronger then you now need to come up with sidequests and companions that are actually relevant to your demi-god Warden, and then even more ridiculous ones in the game after that. You're very quickly (as in a few games) going to find yourself in a situation where you've got players fucking Andraste in front of the Maker before hopping off to kill the concept of Evil because anything less than that is something the Warden has already leveled past. You might think that's ridiculous but what exactly is the Warden supposed to fight after beating your Nightmare Demon? When the biggest demons get downgraded to mini-bosses you're going to need something to step up (and then something even bigger for the game after).

If I wanted to play action games about a superpowered demigod kicking everyones arse and saving the world I'd play Devil May Cry, not an RPG. Power creep is a shit practice and your exact line of thinking is what killed the Saints Row series.

Since when headless knight is black?

It's not good.
It risks turning everything into Dragonball Z levels of stupid.

You never seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
Also its not black as in nigger, but the colour of the armour.

Personally I'm used to the headless knight being green, but that's just me.

I actually plan on starting Dragon Age: Origins soon, probably this weekend. I played it for a couple hours several years ago, but it didn't click with me–probably because I was expecting an action RPG. Now that I've gotten a little more into more "classic" RPGs over the past few years, I'm ready to give it another shot.

It made me even more disappointing in it when I did that but good luck.

I've played through the first one and did not enjoy it. The characters had very obnoxious personalities. The map you explore is far too generic. The combat isn't nearly as fun as it should be due to bad pacing of the difficulty. The final levels are horrid in terms of level design.

Just play Heroes of Might and Magic.

Install the combat rules fixpack and qwinn's ultimate fixpack above all. You'll probably also want Advanced Tactics or Even More Advanced Tactics and the Detailed Tooltips mod. Depending on your cheating proclivities you might also want to install the "make console commands visible" mod. After that shit you should probably check out the Thirst user campaign, which is frankly better designed than DAO.

ME1 and DA:O were honestly pretty alright, until these faggots decided to set quality and originality aside for cash grabs and political narratives. The kikery and nu-male mentality never ceases to anger me and it saddens me that this is the order of the day with most of these people rather than just making a video game people would simply enjoy playing.

Wtf, even the /cow/ that is Ian Miles Cheong shat on Bioware?

Ian got off the SJW train years ago, man. Iirc the CON chatlogs were also leaked by him.

That image predates the SJW menace as we know it today by quite a few years.

he switched sides again but he's always been and always will be a cow

That's natural. The characters are a reflection of their creators, after all.

Honestly that makes more sense than it should.

They were both derivative garbage and the only reason you'd praise them is if you never read a fantasy/sci-fi book in your life or played an RPG.

Neverwinter Nights was good, though it's mostly notable for the multiplayer and custom modules rather than the campaigns.

The story was bad in all three games, but Origins/Awakening at least had some good characters.

I really disliked the lore even in the first game. Bioware either didn't understand Christianity or intentionally made a religion that looks superficially similar while inverting all of its values, all the races are extremely generic other than the Qunari who are barely present in the first game and turn into horned Muslims in the second, mages are just psykers, and the Darkspawn are a competitor for the most generic ancient evil in any video game.

True, care to point the way?

All NWN proved is that a bunch of autists, in their spare time, for free, could make a more compelling RPG than the biggest RPG studio at the time.

BioWare are leftists, the sight of a Bible makes them break out in hives and hiss.

I'm not particularly willing to recommend any fantasy or sci-fi books nowadays, especially not ones written in the West because they are all pozzed. Anything after the Golden Age is Jew infested garbage used to push their vile leftist agenda.

I was talking in the context of ideas, especially in the case of ME. I fucking hate when people tell me it's a well thought out universe when most of it is just lazy plagiarism, and what isn't stolen from elsewhere is just filled with BioWare's usual cliches.

The Revelation Space series by Alistair Reynolds is pretty good, with the exception of Absolution Gap's ending.

Alright i'll give it a shot. Summary sounded intersting enough

Yeah they do leave much to be desired. Any games though?

Read Gene Wolfe.

Ultimate setups max backstab dmg rougue (inbefore bard memes) with shale as max dmg to tank with threat and 2 glasscannon mages (one aoe, one snipe). Prove me wrong. Two was fucking fun. If you weren't emersed and high as balls running it ur doin it wrong.

Please, where is that from?
Is that some self published fan fiction?

No, that is the official novelization.

I can only imagine the rest of the chapter, or the book for that matter.

Holla Forums just hates DA2 because they think it's full of leftist garbage even though it's basically a massive redpill for the islamic invaders crisis

DA2 was shit, because it forced you to play as a premade faggot rather than following origins and letting the player create their own character. Origins wasn't that great to begin with, but it was expected for DA2 to improve on it rather than taking a giant shit on it and railroading the game. The focus on sex was never a selling point and it just made DA3 a very cringe game. It would be the equivalent of Skyrim promoting its sex mods on tv. That shit just doesn't work ever. You leave it under wraps and never openly speak of it.

They have given up and are trying to pander squarely to their biodrone audience who are made up of hamburger helper tier landwhales so it's kind of no surprise that they've made it a selling point for the series.

What really made it shit are all the reused assets and trying "MMO'ifying" the combat. The amount of places you get to visit is already limited but then the "different" areas are just copy pasted with different paths blocked/unblocked. I agree that having such a strictly pre-defined backstory detracted from the game but I could have dealt with it if not for all the other issues.
As bad as DA:I is, at least it's a step up from DA2.

Except even that is a massive shift in the lore. I never thought of the qunari as muslim standins in Origins. But now I see that Bioware wanted to make the trinity of abrahamic religions. Humans with their Christianity expie, qunari with their Islam stand in, and Elves with their "Oy vey, we wuz G-d's chosen immortal sorcerers an shieeet until you filthy goyim Shemlen came and crusaded our fairy asses and the invited us into your cities where we promptly self-segregated and then blamed it on you."

user, DA:I felt and played like a single player MMO.

Its hated for two reasons user.
Reason 1: Its made in cucked Canada.
Reason 2: By cuck Canadians.

They tried muddying the waters by making the Qunari look like degenerate utopian communists of some sort. What they forgot to consider is that in real life Islamic orthodoxy and unironic Marxism have so much in common.

Especially the combat with its repetitive strategy of consecutive activations of certain skills, healing potion spam and skill cooldowns, in fact.

This, sure they arent that great if we look at them now BUT faggots should keep in mind we were quite derived of any decent rpg-releases when DA:O came out and ME1 with it's "space opera" was something new even if they both were full of generic cliches and otherwise mediocre games.

Newfags on Holla Forums just like being contrarian for the sake of it and trying to fit in, it's the same reason there's tons of posts like
for most inane reasons, just newfags being newfags.

To be fair, healing potion spam was pretty bad even in Origins, even if you set someone as a dedicated healer going anywhere without double digits of drinkables would see half your party limping around with broken bones and coughing blood by the time you get to camp.

anyone else remember that cringe tier awards show? Where they thought the sex was the games biggest selling point?

Fallout 4 voiced MC was so great, it achieved comedic perfection. Nothings funnier then having ultra serious conversation whit some one and in next line is silly line delivered whit ultra silly delivery.
My favorite was at start of far harbor when you talk to Kenji Nakano and you can have this serous talk about hes missing daughter for 5min and suddenly you can crack this line.

if there was no VA then in my mind it would sound something like this
A magic boat ride? Jesus christ the Sole Survivor swore under his breath. Knowing his luck, sea monsters would be involved as well.

And it supposed to be sarcastic line not silly line. So line like: Well that whats this world needs, magic boat ride whit sea monster .

Can anyone remind me why exactly they dumbed the fuck out of very well-received DAO? Dialogues, world, story, characters, combat. DA2 felt more like a shitty ME game (and the worst part is that ME2 improved a ton compared to the original and was fun). The similar shit happened with the Witcher too. But at least Witcher 2 and 3 looked good while killing your PC.

Because making good, or at least decent content is hard, especially for diversity hires. It's far easier to slap together a few tvtropes with a fantasy spin on top and rely on the brand to make the sales.

Because the first game took way too long to make and everyone with any sort of talent was either fired or quit during its production.

Rise of the Argonauts (pretty sure still active torrents) is another great squad based tactics game that's often overlooked but if you want a neAt play through, the spec tree is truely something of its own. PC 2008.

DnD Heroes is and will always be the king of squad RPG especially fantacy. Xbox1

Apart from that you have MOBA, hon mention demigod, and brute force on Xbox etc. Great genre.

2 was a rawer hack and slash at its finest. They dropped tactics for aesthetics and it hit the market perfectly for its time.

Gonna go play HOMM3 dungeon week 3 dragon rush. Peace

origins (expansion and cancer DLC excluded) is still pretty fucking amazing, I stand by it. It was one of the dreaded modern games that I didn't think was just another product of a dead fucking industry. The only major flaw was crap balance with your mages steamrolling everything, completely ruining the whole game. Don't get wynne

Origins took roughly a decade to make and they shat out DA2 in a single year.

All the more reasons to keep the core the same without reinventing the wheel? Though yes, I guess a better script with fully-fledged dialogues would demand a lot more from the writers and delay the release as a result.

Fuck, I'm so glad I never played that piece of shit.

you should be it was shit and you didn't miss much.

As if the main characters were similar beyond the most superficial looks. In Witcher books there is nothing like Stormbringer either.

The translations were pretty halfassed and made the original books look like a subpar cash-in tie-in novel instead of being the literature that spurred the games. The concept of The Witcher is interesting enough. The author basically looked at fairytales and thought to himself that realistically speaking you wouldn't have fairytale heroes solve that shit. You would sit down and hire a professional to do it, so his idea was to take the fairytale setting and create the professional whose job it is to sort out all of those dangerous monsters. It was pretty interesting.

But the english translations need help.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Never really thought of it like that before.

I like how you had a redpilled uncle who called you a faggot if you went a sodomy route.

Are these two still doing their lame pixel persona graphics?

YES

The literal only good part of DA 2 wasthe Quanari mage sidequest. I legitimately thought he was going to be a party member but either way he died. He fucking kills himself or gets killed by the other Quanari. So fucking dumb.

How? The game all but says outright that the Qunari deserved to win but for the fact that their rule would inconvenience you and those poor mages who are all fucking blood mages and demoniacs

That was just bad DA2 writing. The premise was supposed to be more reasonable but they flooded the game with crazy mages to keep the combat going. Honestly the sheer amount of mages in DA2 is itself lore fail. Contrast DAO where the Circle of Magi is supposed to account for the vast majority of Fereldan mages (the rest being apostates). DAO actually flirted with being a low fantasy-ish setting while from DA2 onward the game started shitting lightning and magic all over the place.