BOKU NO DRAGON QUEST

I have never played Dragon Quest. Which in the series is your favorite and why? Which one do you think I should start with?

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=o3oi11tplh0ng92u2amgfqlke3&topic=14879.120
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The best ones are the SNES remake of 3, 5 and 8. Which you start with depends on what you're looking for. 3 has a really solid class system, 5 has the best story and lets you recruit monsters into your party, and 8 is the most well rounded game in the series, though it has kind of slow start. Personally I like 5 the best, but 8 is probably the best place to start if you're used to more modern JRPGs.

9 is a pretty good entry point. Lots of good story content in there, Wight Knight is best boy.

My nigga.
3 was amazing because you could create your own team of adventurers in the purest form of fantasy JRPG, but it's progression and storytelling didn't age well. It was just too barebones, I got bored halfway through.

I liked 8 and 7, but the spin off's can have some real appeal if you like the genre. I played heros 2 and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't shit. it's also very good looking

V overall is my favorite but I have an extremely soft spot for the first game. I just really love solo adventure RPGs. I really wish they would give it an action rpg remake

The Slime Mori Mori spin-off series has been pretty great all around, also.

i suggest strat with V and VI
those are the games that got me hoked to the series

You fucking faggots and your daddy issues.

Lot of love for V. I think I have a winner.
How is IV on the DS? Don't see anyone mentioning it.

I played the GBA game without knowing a single moonrune. Believe in yourself, user.

8 > 4 > 6=5 > 9 > 1 =2 >>>> 7

Haven't played 3. That's only DQ i haven't played.

4, 5 and 6 are all good.
The only issue is the culturization of the translation. They also removed all party chat talk with your partners when talking to them, because they're lazy fucks.

3 is the first one I played and still my favorite. When you get the ship it's a freedomgasm, and it happens again with another world. It's a good feeling just conquering the world at your own pace. Every game after that increasingly became more of a busride rather than adventure. Though I still somewhat enjoyed the others, played up to 8.

lolw tf why is the main character Goku? Chrono Trigger did this too, ripping of Dragonball Z

They all kind of suck because the combat is the same stale shit from the MSX/NES era which on itself was a casualized version of Wizardry with an overworld. IX was the best one before the Nintendo WFC shut down.

#1, because it was the first RPG I ever played.
#1. It is intentionally simplified in its design and slightly dated, but it is the foundation for the rest of the series and lays down some important lore.
BUT THOU MUST

Can to throw a rom on the vola?

That's obviously Gohan you doughnut.

It's the only game in the series that lets you raise your own daughterfu.

DBZ was really big in the 90s. You had to capitalize on it or your business would go under.

still didnt played it
i want to because its seems 4 5 6 share a connection (it seems 6 is a pre sequel to 4 and 5)

Because all anime look the same, have you noticed just now?

i spot an underage.

Well in game you barely interact with your sons outside of battle or even in the story since they are a late game addition to your party, but can't deny Tabitha lewds are great.
I enjoyed the game and its good music/story long before i even had access to the internet

Akira Toriyama gets around.

The early ones, specifically 2, 3, 5 and 6 are pretty fun and 2's actually really solid in design, you'll actually struggle a bit through the game due to the item system. You will need to grind for cash though.

What a fucking failure of a nerd.

I played DQ1 first (very recently, because in the past I was way too distracted by the Final Fantasy games, and others, so I missed the series entirely like most people in the west), specifically the GBC version. I could have played the Super Famicom version (because as far as I know, they are all really good versions of the games). Didn't come out in America, but the translations are everywhere and shouldn't have the (((localization))) issues that the more recent official releases had. Still haven't played anything else, but I am going to play another one this month. From what I have seen, there isn't really a bad pick. Just read about the games and play one that stands out for one reason or another. My next one will probably be V or VII (which is supposed to be a humongous game that towers over most RPGs, absolutely gigantic, and I like that kind of thing, plus the official PS1 version doesn't seem to have any issues at all). Playing one of them as soon as either my new monitor (bought a "brand new", sealed CRT monitor) or my PS2 component cable for my TV shows up. The order of arrival might determine which one I play first.

Shit series, don't even bother

Not at home, mate, so I'm not able to. Don't give up hope, DQ1 is worth it.

There’s always that one guy.

Gohan really let himself go.

You should be able to finish those without getting bored if you enjoy playing JRPGs. Note that the online functionality for Dragon Quest IX is no longer available, which impacts the post game.

I forgot about this ending.
Fuck.

Dragon Quest 3 on NES is the best 4 (NES) a close runner-up. DQ 1 is also good considering how old it is. DQ2 is garbage but worth at least one play-through. Never completed DQ5, 6, or 7. The little bit of 8 that I played seems ok. Never played 9. Dragon Quest Builders is Comfy. Dragon Quest Heroes is mediocre.

Actually on secon though I honestly think you should start with the first game. Its and old game with a lots of grindling but it really sets the tone and all the wolrds lore is based on the events of in the first game that make later stories more more charming. Just remeber its very dated game so cut it some slack.

Do any of them have a translation that doesn't force the ridiculous way of talking?

The PS1 version of 7. There's also the fan translations.

The first time I played I-IX was three years ago and I played them in Japanese. I've kept hearing about how awful the localizations are and decided to check them out for myself a few months ago. I played through the 3DS version of DQ VIII and it was alright. It had a lot of pointless name changes, though not as much as later releases would, and there were other things I didn't agree with and some that were just perplexing (like when you go to the shadow world and people are speaking a different language at first. Didn't happen at all in the Japanese version), but overall it was decent. Then I played DQ VII's 3DS version and had to give up partway through because the accents were awful. They do cockney well, but the French accent was ridiculously over the top and I have no idea who thought that having characters say a few things in another language, then again in English, was a good idea. It's a shame, I wish the games got better localizations. XI was great, and if the localizers add in VA, hopefully they tone the accents down.

Dragon Quest is one of my all time favorite series and I want XI so bad. One of my favorite gaming memories is smoking a bowl and playing Dragon Quest VIII with sennheiser headphones and just enjoying the everloving shit out of the experience and adventure. I hate how the newer games are removing random battles. Really takes you out of the experience. You lose so much of the tension and the games become a cakewalk because you can just run past all of the enemies. Completely removes the tension. You'd get into combat and not know what to expect. Sometimes it's a metal slime sometimes it's 9 dullahans about to silence and dazzle your ass back to town, I hope you saved faggot.

I get the appeal of enemies being there, but it ruins the game for me.

Can this guy only draw the same 5 faces?

You sound like a nigger.
Which might explain your familiarity with Dragon Ball.

Christ, you gotta be baiting me.

I've tried telling people you can use heuristic linguistics to detect niggers, but I just get clowned on. "user, you're embarrassing yourself!"

Oh you absolutely can, especially if we're talking voice, it's piss easy to detect

A real nigger right here.

DQBuilders looks pretty comfy, but does it have any actual challenge or is it just babby shit?

Don't bully nigger-kun

7 is the best. Best version of the class system and lengthy epic quest. It's as long as several of the other games in the series combined.

9 is exactly the same way.

A lot of red flags for me are when I see words like "savage", "dope", "hustle"; not capitalizing the beginning of sentences; using "u" instead of "you". It could just as easily be a spic though nowadays.

you have the casual fags that consider random encounters as outdated and a "limitation of the system in the past".
they could follow the EO formula where there's a blinking red light when an encounter is about to appear so they won't complain about randomness at the very least.

Dragon quest girls are really top tier and underappreciated outside of the brownies.

i distinctively remember playing a fan translated 3

4 and 6 on ds are both good

Heuristic linguistics is basic shit anyone on chans should know these days. Even if they only know that newfags tend to use memes wrong, or niggers tend to talk like… well, niggers, that's still something.

what did they censor on the 3ds? and did they add any new content besides the female bandit party member?

Sure is casual in here

Censor clothes, certain cutscenes involving blood, A scene involving a man forced to eat dog food. The musical score is not orchestrated and doesn't sound nearly as good althought that can be subjective.

Additions: No more random battles you find and attack the enemies. FastFoward battle, alchemy pot instantaneous item creation instead of waiting, minimap and zoom function. Two new characters morrie and red.
Bonus story and dungeons. New monsters, costumes for all characters, equipment, and recipes.
Plus you can waifu Jessica

I assume those with CFW can fix that?

Supposedly yes, but the last time i checked it was two years ago and they had trouble with the models. They might have made progress but i don't know.

I played with that patch a few months ago and they looked fine to me, but I am not prone to noticing small graphical issues.

- Two new party members
- Save anywhere
- HP/MP restored on level up
- Two new dungeons, one of which is mostly just a series of palette swapped, buffed bosses
- Instant alchemy
- New Monster Arena rank
- Bunch of new costumes
- Sped up battles

Some others I can't remember at the moment, but that's a good deal of the additions and changes.

just search for the dq8 3u cia. uncensor, undub and whatever the hell the other u stands for.

DQ builders for the Switch has little mini pixel art blocks. I hope Builders 2 implements this for all platforms.

It's not hard but it's not baby tier either. The game is essentially just 3D Terraria with better writing.

III is still the best. The later games became too character-driven.

Puts back the original midi instead of the orchestra.

Why is such a nice game console only?

it's babby shit unless you think fetch quests and one button combat is hard

Why the fuck do the hacks Squeenix hate DQ so damn much?
OMAERA DAIKIRAI-DA

I still remember that scene so well. I immersed myself a little too hard in DQVI at the time, so the whole scene is very vivid and detailed in my memories. Fuck, seeing her still alive in the dream world was fine, but the thought of never being able to touch her again outside of a dream is unbearable because its just like real life

MY DAUGHTER IS NOT FOR LEWD, YOU ANIMAL!!!

They don't want the west to taint it.

She is as pure as a lily and as kind as her mother, to be sure.. If only my save file hadn't been fucking corrupted I'd still have my vidya family…

You're all gay.

I have a soft-spot for 3 because it was one of the first games that I really beat the shit out of (the NES version, but play the SNES remake).

5 has probably one of the saddest sequences I've experienced in a video game (yes, I need to play more games). When the main character gets turned to stone was a kick in the dick I was not prepared for.

8 was fun, but things like crowds being made up of the same four models detract (especially when compared to other RPGs that came out around the same time).

I've played plenty, and that one still gets me. I mean, DQ5's hero was once a happy kid who traveled the world, but then he lost his dad, was enslaved for 10 years, finds out his mother was taken by Satan/Mildrath/Nimzo (and that his father's adventures were just his attempt at trying to find a way to save his wife) so he has to continue the legacy while avenging his father and fighting off endless hordes of wild animals and Satan's minions, then his wife is kidnapped by a naked demon horse shortly after giving birth, then he's turned to stone for 8 fucking years, misses out on the first 8 years of his kids' lives, spends 2 years looking for his wife only for her to find out she missed out on 10 years of her kids' lives, then he gets to reunite with his parents in the past only to find out that he can't even tell them who he is or have an emotional connection with them without fucking up the timeline, and worst of all, the DS english translation was filled to the brim those fucking annoying accents. MALDITO FUCKING SHIT I'M SICK OF YOUR FUCKING PAELLAS

FUCKING SQUEENIX AND YOUR SHITTY TRANSLATIONS! SANCHO IS SUPPOSED TO BEST UNCLE

The worst part was being forced to watch another family raise their child in front of him right after being taken away from his kids.

Isn't 11 going to finally be localized in the west. Also Pippa a cute. Though she can't cook worth shit.

Why does Square do this? It's just emulation, buy the fan translations for 1-3 and put it on PS4.

I really want to get into Dragon Quest because I've been watching Dragonball and I love the designs, and the parts with the demon clan or some of the villages really makes me want to go on an adventure in a world designed by Akira but I just can't into turn based gameplay.

newfag to dragon quest, I plan on playing V on the DS first, is there any problems with doing that?

translation, the ds games are known the for stupid accent translations.
one good thing about it would be the party talk and the dungeons were redesigned for 3d.
the snes still feels like the definitive version especially with the fan translation.

I really liked 4 on the NES when I was a kid, the chapter system kept giving you fresh stories and even some variation in gameplay (running Taloon's merchant enterprise was great fun). Then by the end it all comes together. Haven't played the DS remake though.

I think they went overboard with regional dialects too. Doesn't the DS version have a third wife?

Yes, Debora. She acts exactly like she looks.

yea, nera's sister.
probably the only reason i'd play the ds version since i'm a sucker for spoiled dark-haired girls.

Also, the DS version of V is fine. The accents are bad but nowhere near as bad as IV. Any version of the game is good.

The accents personally pissed me off, the fan translations are better.

I'm going to tell you straight out that it's the same artist you fucking retard.

Getting sick of this degenerate meme "culture"
You're probably just trying to fit in but jesus christ, man. The very idea of homos needs to be erased. It was never funny.

I've never played Dragon Quest either. How much freedom and customization does it have compared to Elder Scrolls?

calm down fag

I have the sneaking suspicion this man is not baiting but is in fact serious, and I sincerely hope that is not the case.

Because Square are a bunch of faggots. We were better off before the Square-Enix merger.

Use your IMAGINATION! That is what truly brings to life the roleplaying experience.

Don't. They removed the party chat. But I love the alternate ending where you can actually save Psaro, his gf and discover the identity of the true villain controlling Psaro.

I couldn't even understand half the shit Alena's country was saying.

I'm going to assume this is bait and move along.

I seriously hope for your sake this is bait.

What's the consensus on the PS2 remake of V?

It's widely regarded as the best version, but it doesn't have the third wife option IIRC.

Depends on which one you play.

Dragon Quest is JRPG comfort food, it isn't very ambitious. Customization isn't really the goal. It's like playing through a fun shounen manga/anime.

Cuckoldry isn't OK, user.

The other two choices are interesting though, especially because a lot of people have already played one version or another.

DS/iOS port also adds a few more monsters that are recruitable and and handful of extra side stuff to entice even Japanese players that bought the PS2 remake. Everything has that DQ7 look that all the DS remakes had and the script is a lot punnier with random name changes. PS2 remake has its own fan translation different and more fleshed out from the SNES one, though the look of the game comes off as cheap like how the Mana 3D remakes are. Despite that, there are a few moments where cutscenes do dramatic camera angles

What do you guys think of Dragon Quest Builders?

Checkem

Looks like we have ourselves a wiener.

its a good time waster as long as you don't try to find depth in the mechanics or gameplay.

Inferior Minecraft clone that wastes the player's time on MMO-like busywork.

How can anyone be so wrong?

Bretty good.

This. She is the one true wife of the hero.

Too bad Deborah is such a bitch. Not even in the tsundere sense like sweet Maribel. She's just cruel… She made me sleep on the fucking floor during the supposed night of conception. She's fucking cucking us, I just know it!

Lay your hands off my beloved daughterfu you fie-
NVM

If it had a single large world story instead of episodes and a multiplayer mode for 2 I would never stop playing and Minecraftfags would have to commit suicide.

Dragon quest tiers:
3-4-5-6-9
2 > 1
Below this point they're mediocre tier:

Second tier varies on taste.

They're cool games but you'll need some cheat codes to gain experience quicker, unless you like grinding.
3 snes, 4 nes, 5 ps2 and 8 ps2 are the really good ones.

bianca has shit stats
the other waifu is better gameplay wise

where my IX boys at

wow this was my best bait post to date, I wish 8ch had karma like reddit

Has anyone played X? I know it's an MMO, but how's the experience?

I can't believe people didn't recognize it as bait.

I know I was only pretending in my response
I can only hope everyone else was as well. Also who's the most underrated Dragon Quest girl, not the best just the most underrated. My vote is for Maria.

DQX WHEN

7 had some interesting elements, ideas and characters (good waifus too), but overall it definitely was the weakest in the series, especially in the story. 70% of the time it felt like a children's anime with a villain of the week format or filler stories. Some parts of the story were just poorly done. The class system was alright I guess, but the DS remake made them more shit. The monster variety in that one also felt weak.

Dems fightin' words.

7 was almost like 6 on steroids, in both good in bad areas. It is really comfy though.

Square asked if we wanted it and their call to action fell flat. We don't deserve nice things.

BEST GIRL BUMP

Another option besides SNES fantranslation is PS2 remake, which is mostly identical to DS version except it doesn't have 3rd Wife.

who's the canon wife? nera or bianca?

what a misleading image, that girl is flatter than that

The official artwork always has Bianca as the wife and the kids as blonde, so I assume it's her.

Majority of artwork always picks Bianca and has the kids with blonde hair.

[Ashlynn Barbara takes the Hero into the middle of the town square in front of everyone]
[Ashlynn Barbara begins doing something…just…disgusting! Something HORRIBLY disgusting! Everyone pretends to ignore her!]
[The Hero is confused… and strangely aroused]

Question: I have DQ Swords. I'm thinking about dusting off the Wii U to play. Any real major bullshit I should be looking out for?

Attached: sample-f1a7dd88d28f3a12e6f425ab4119af33.jpeg (727x1000, 103.05K)

'Sup weebs? This album is available as freeleech. Is the music to Dragon Quest any good?

Attached: Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest Complete CD-BOX (2003).png (1440x862, 682.54K)

That depends on your tastes. Dragon Quest music is very grand and classical.

Other than it's nothing like a traditional DQ game and its pretty bland at times, its alright I guess.

I picked this shit up on the weekend. Enjoying it a lot.
I like the added structure/story to the minecraft buildan, gives it some purpose and makes it a real game.

Attached: 1455910585152.gif (550x400, 24.87K)

Well yeah. It's an on-rails arcade-like hack n slash. I think last time I tried it I'm having trouble pulking off master strokes because fuck motion controls for that.

NEVER EVER

COME BACK HERE YOU LITTLE SHIT

Attached: metal king slime.jpg (800x1131, 562.29K)

Is it just me or are metal babbles usually less likely to flee than metal slimes?

Builders is unironically my favorite, and perhaps the only Dragon Quest game I can stand for more than 40 hours or so.

Its not just you. I've killed more Metal Bubble Slimes than any other breed of Metal Slime.

Attached: casual.gif (270x235, 1.36M)

GOD FUCKING AWFUL translation that had its party chat taken away because of how much they were focusing on accents and to make matters worse, the Dragon Quest translation community never bothered translating the previous versions but last I checked; there was one guy trying to retranslate the DS version.

When it comes to Dragon Quest, you either play III for oldfag points, V for waifushittery, or VIII for babies first experience. VI isn't talked about much since it underperforms the game before and after it and then there's VII which is known for its lengthy beginning. DQIX is the civil war of the series where people got split up into two different factions because people didn't like that the game didn't have any premade characters (you get some post game) and that the game had an offline MMO feel to it during post game. DQX never ever.

Enix days.

What was censored was because the Japs rating system are being dicks and Horii always said he wants the series to be open for all ages.

Only thing that makes any sense is Square sabotaging DQ somehow.

Oh shit, the Monsters Battleroad Victory webm but with sound!

That's nothing; Wii had a collection of the first three games that they could've brought over and not have to worry nearly as much about getting money back from the sheer number of people who bought that system.

SHE'S A HORSES SLOPPY SECONDS!!

The thing that enticed the Jap players is that it was on a phone.

How can anything be more inferior at being Minecraft than Minecraft itself?

When Final Fantasy becomes a good game again.

Attached: 57708798_p0.jpg (853x480 936.02 KB, 3.3M)

I bought a Wii and Wii U in anticipation of this game and the FUCKING Japs absolutely 120% blueballed me REPEATEDLY..

FUCK

Attached: Dragon_Quest_X_Box_Art.jpg (250x316, 174.05K)

Why didn't you just wait until there was an actual announcement beyond talking around the subject and false hope?

Attached: 1 - 7. Clashing Edges (Low).mp4 (640x360, 5.46M)

Because shit was good for a while my dude. We got all of the DS remakes, rocket slime 2, 7, 8, 9, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1 and 2 then we just got FUCKING cockblocked hard for a long ass time for no FUCKING reason.

I bought the Wii and waited I came to realize about a year with no announcement eventually xthat the Wii version wasn't coming here because the Wii U was around the corner so I traded it in for a Wii U when they announced that version, again reasoning that they were going to jut give us the Wii U version but it never came and likely never will now. It's been 6 years, and the game is almost on version 6 or some shit. It's never FUCKING coming.

Attached: bce.jpg (540x300 83.44 KB, 157.68K)

That's just the thing; DQ has been going down the Berserk route of releasing games since its initial start of being released in the West. DQX being an MMO was a huge sign of you should wait and see on top of the fact that FFXIV having bombed hard around the same time.

The only thing that makes the desire for DQX painful is the fact every couple of years, Square pops up and asks if people want DQX to come over and then fucks off while ignoring all the shouting for them to bring it over.

Attached: Sudden Death.webm (640x360, 6.11M)

The only way you can play DQX is to learn moon and play on nip servers. Sadly DQX got the PSO2 western release. Either that or we make our own MMO to fill in the void.

But hey, there's XI on the way I guess.

Attached: a5b2a2423cbe8b487f1bfeb48f3c1b3126895420cb76887155df5dddef150eb7.png (1280x1280, 427.09K)

Also will need a VPN.
At least Sega shut up about it after they put it on indefinite hiatus and they at least still have that crappy SEA server.
Only question is will they force in crappy voice work or drown the script in accents.

Attached: Lewdicrous Skills.webm (752x434 3.03 MB, 5.11M)

My vote is accents, because DQVIII and Xenoblade.

You have to grindt towards the end

What's the best version of Dragon Quest IV? I've yet to play that one.

Attached: f8f54d5598923027abdd69071cc11132a03773c4da193578aa3ed6c0709c992a.png (448x338, 137.37K)

Japanese DS version. Neither English version is great. The NES one has really archaic elements, like having to select an action from the menu to interact with anything, and the American DS version has accents that are almost indecipherable. I don't think the dialect they gave the "Scottish" characters is even technically English.

Thanks, but I unfortunately don't know Moon.

Truth.

The last hope: romhacking.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=o3oi11tplh0ng92u2amgfqlke3&topic=14879.120

Attached: 1437935421740.jpg (799x618, 90.94K)

Nice. Thanks.

Trying out Terra Incognita in Builders after completing challenges. Zennithium is a pain in the ass to find. I've been rushing to build all the crafting stations I want. Though I think I should make the 'ammer first.

Watch for the late game grind and balance issues.

It's pretty good yeh.

Pretty sure Sancho already hit that early game. Bianca is all used and abused by the time you marry her.

Attached: c0cbd63b3f6da609955cb47055f90481.jpg (713x500 94.97 KB, 295.1K)

When was Sancho ever alone with her?

When you saved and turned off the game

DELETE THIS

Attached: delete all horse posts in all DQ threads.jpg (385x245, 31.16K)

Attached: 1494785841142.jpg (480x464, 22.27K)

You'll get your wish if they ever remake DQV.

Too late.

Attached: 39398338_big_p2.jpg (700x711 66.88 KB, 95.77K)

Jami was a mistake.

I blame the rape horse from Berserk.