Cliffhangers

Out of all the things that annoy me in games, possibly the worst offender would have to be games that end on a cliffhanger. There a lot of games out there that end with no resolution to the overall story. These companies in their hubris automatically think that they're gonna make a sequel right afterwards but then the game has poor sales and we're just left with a storyline that doesn't go anywhere. You'd think they'd do the smart thing and have the story of each installment be more self-contained. When you're trying to start a franchise, you don't know for certain if it's going to take off and get a bunch of sequels. I mean, they could leave something in the plot to where there could be a possible sequel but don't just end it where nothing gets resolved. We see the beginning of an epic that doesn't have a middle or an end and it's annoying as fuck!

Half-Life would have to be the prime example of this. We will never know who the G man was or who he was working for. We will never know what became of Gordon and Alex or what they ended up doing at the Borealis (And no, the fan fic Mark Laidlaw put out doesn't count.)

Why even live?

Thiaf is a pretty funny example of a game with a cliffhanger ending. It's clear they wanted to make a new series from it, but there wasn't enough interest in the game to make one. Also, it was a literal cliffhanger.

Once you realize that half-life is just a medium for meta commentary, game design, the entire franchise becomes hollow.

Will Megaman ever get off the moon?

You mean like deus ex?

Dino Crisis 2. Sure, we got Dino Stalker but that hardly answered questions.

What is this the book club you're a faggot

my mom said reading books is good for you

CLIFF HANGER
HANGING FROM A CLIIIIIIIFF
AND THAT'S WHY THEY CALL HIM CLIFF HANGER

This is an adults-only board.

WRONG
The last part is supposed to be: AND THAT'S WHY HE'S CALLED CLIFF HANGER

CANT…..HOLD…..ON…..MUCH……LONGER!!!

>>>Holla Forums

BUT I WILL NEVER LET GO

… And that's why he's called Cliff Hanger~!

How? Didn't he right the plot for the Half-Life series?

Write* my bad

I thought I was the only one who remembered this shit

Thanks for the nostalgia Holla Forums

She should really just fuck off with her writing, everything she gets involved with, dies.

Don't think you're going to get off that easily, Sera!
You were always too stubborn for your own good!
If you had a shell, you could transfer your primary programs over, right?
Gatts is dead, he died because of your gamble! If you die as well, who will be left to keep me company?
You can't fool me, I know you can hear me! Still going to ignore me, then let me tell you something!
Now that Elysium is no longer functioning, the old System the Master's people shut down has started to reactivate. It was your responsibility to monitor it. If you die, and it takes over, the Master's work was for nothing! Do you want that?

Do you mean to say that?
The Elder's System is becoming active again?

There are remnants of that System buried all over Terra in what the carbons call ruins. There's so many even I don't know if how many there are. I doubt they've be fully active soon, but eventually they will.
If we don't do anything, just imagine what will happen to Terra and all its people.
If the Elders and their machines activate, what will your sacrifice here have been for?
What do you say, Sera? Are you up for living with the people the Master left behind?
Could be a little wild, but interesting!

Perhaps it might be worthwhile.

I can't remember, the last time I saw you smile, Sera!

I'll think about it, once we figure out a way, to return to Terra!

Hee hee hee…That's a very good point, Sera! hee hee…

So what are we going to do, MegaMan? If we can't get back to Terra, then I can't give Roll her mother back!

Is that the only thing you're worried about?

Ha ha ha! Don't worry, Yuna!

Why?

I know Roll!
She'll come looking for us,
no matter what happens!

While we're on the subject.
CYBERCHASE! WE'RE MOVIN'! WE'RE BEATIN' HACKER AT HIS GAAAAME!

Only thing I can remember about that show was Gilbert Godfried as that damn bird.

Christopher Lloyd was also Hacker IIRC. I remember liking it almost as much as Arthur, and Arthur was the shit.

That's The Hacker to you…

I KNOW ITS A ONE WAY TRACK

I don't think so. Deus Ex ends after JC decides what to do: bring the illuminati back to power, merge with Helios and rule the world, or destroy Area 51 to end global surveillance. A cliffhanger would be to end the game before he decides.

He is probably talking about MD, which ends very abruptly and with Jensen going after the Illuminati.

Need I say more?

He should have said Kike Game and not Deus Ex then

It wasn't made into an actual game so it isn't official canon.

This goes above and beyond a mere cliffhanger. This is opening up the game with the characters dangling off a cliff, hopping down then fucking around for ~20 hours, getting bored and then deciding to hang on the cliff again towards the end. What a complete clusterfuck of a game.

I came here to post this exact scene with those exact words. Glad to see Holla Forums is still upright.

Despite what you may have been told, reading actually doesn't make you uncool.

Uh… his point was obviously saying that you should read books, that is if you want story. He's complaining about the overreliance of story in games.

Hey! DW!

Well fuck you too Ubisoft.

I clicked on the thread with the intention of posting this. Holy shit it made me mad.
Tyrell is the single worst character in the entire series. I don't recall Garet fucking up the plot of either of the two previous games.

AND ALSO THIS

Reading is fundamental!

TELL ME NOW HOW LONG THIS'LL LAST

Mega Man is the worst with this shit.
At least Battle Network, Zero, and Star Force actually ended.

BN3 was the high point in the series.
It had all those codes and passwords and tricks too

I'M NOT GONNA THINK THIS WAY

NOR WILL I COUNT ON OTHERS

CLOSE MY EYES AND FEEL IT BURN

RULES OF NATURE

NOW I SEE WHAT I'VE GOTTA DO

LOCKED AND LOADED

LIGHT UP THE NIGHT

AND IT WILL COME

AND SO HAVE I

I'M MY OWN MASTER NOW

ALMOST DEAD ALMOST DEAD

I'm more disappointed that valve has become such a terrible company.

Why spend a decade pouring your heart and soul into a game like HL2 when you could just make a few dota hats for the same amount of money.

HEY!
Holy shit, why was she such a cunt?

arthur is probably the pinnacle of children's cartoons

Honestly, after how fucking terrible that game was I don't want another game. I'll just pretend the GBA games were the only one.
Now only if there a relocalization project for the GBA games to cut 90% of the extra crap NOA squeezed in

also on-topic post:
Golden Sun Dark Dawn did this, but there will never be a Golden Sun 4

It's not so bad, really. People just got into it with ten years of expectations. I remember that my second playthrough (where I fucked around with classes, did optional bosses WAY below level, etc.) years later, was waaaay more enjoyable than just, ohhh it's totally not like the old ones. The combat and battle visuals were nice, really in style of the previous ones. Difficulty was a tad too low, could have profited from a hard mode.
Honestly, imo, the exposition of the story was kinda lame. "Oh. Psynergy holes. Wow, this is gonna be about spoooopy psynergy holes from second 1 to the end of the game", just to be caucht offtrack and the rest of the game had nothing to do with them anymore. Made it way better, and then they still had that to make another game about it.
IF ONLY THEY WOULD.
Really, I heard the most likely reason is that they don't have enough cocaine up their sleeves to come up with plotpoints they want to focus on.
Why not turn to the 10000000 fan videos that give more than infinite topics to make the game interesting and still tying up loose ends, as opposed to only new stuff getting introduced like in DD.

honestly DD killed my love for this franchise. Who gives a shit all the new characters barring the werewolf suck.

If anything Deus Ex is an example of a game which shouldn't have gotten a continuation to its story (but did anyway) because doing so attempted to apply canon to the ending choices.

It was poorly paced, they barely did anything interesting or unique with psynergy puzzles, multiple points of no return with djinn/tablets/items that can be missed and they some how managed to make the text ridiculously more drawn out than the originals. The combat was fine but they kept shitting out party members faster than you actually had time to use them; just look at when you get the female earth adept; you were basically a few hours from the end of the game.

It was bad with a handful of highlights. But it still was bad.

OPEN YOUR HEART
IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT

Camelot isn't capable of making an RPG anymore, i think. All they've done since is Tennis, and Golf, with the closest to an RPG they've come since then is the new story mode in the switch Mario Tennis game,

Debetable.
But was it really worse than the two previous games?
For me, it's a true Golden Sun sequel. It could have been much more worse. It was not a quick cash-in, a sellout, or a total desaster. And for a franchise with that long an absence, it was maybe the best that could happen.
I liked it, I had my best 2 boss battles in my personal history in it, and I would certainly buy the sequel.

BEST ADVICE TO ANYONE PLAYING IT:
just take a look at the spoilerless P.o.n.R. Chart. Because yes, if you don't know what you can lose, you will likely lock that content out, and it's critical content.
My best guess why they did it, is that the narrative was just a bit more demanding in terms of locking the player out of regions, while the worst thing in Lost Age was that you couldn't officially revisit your home town.

I'm really salty for the cliffhanger though.
They could have left it at the first "2" games and it would be damn shame but oh well.
But this is literally striking up "To be continued" at a long awaited sequel and then letting it die an even worse death.

Sup faggot. This is now gonna be stuck in your head for a week.

for fucks sake

To be fair Model A is very clearly not Axl, as should've been clear from the moment we hear him say 'oira' instead of 'boku', but the weapons and the copying do make you think of him for sure.