Virtual Console on Disk

Why don't companies ever make compilation disks of some of their digital software selections these days?
It was somewhat common even up until ps3/xbox, off the top of my head the only example of a company actually having a physical release of some of their emulation service games after the digital marketplace would be nintendo with oddly enough, Super Mario Allstars (Which wasn't actually Super Mario Allstars it was just NES roms of the first three games plus the stagepack for japan) and the Kirby Anniversary collection It seems like such wasted potential to not have say, for example a 3ds cartridge with some virtual console games dropped on it, or like, a switch game with a few titles.

Why would they release a compilation when they could sell them individually for 10 bucks my man? Hell, maybe do a half-assed "remaster" and sell it for 20-40.

Why remaster it when you can just put the games on the disc and sell it for the same price until it eventually hits bargain bins?
It's not like it'd be expensive to make a basic UI to launch them.

I used to wish that Square Enix would release a compilation of all the games they made for the NES and SNES, including translated versions of the Jap only ones. Then I got into emulation and stopped caring about physical games.

A few reasons. One of which is that "game compilations" are more popular in Japan than they are in the West.

I don't know why they don't do this either. People would buy them! Hell, companies could live off them! Konami could release a Castlevania collection and it would definitely make more money than Metal Gear Survive.

Watching sugimori draw Sonic is so fucking weird. Then again, watching him draw new pokemon is fucking weird too.

There's been a lot of great compilations lately.

Sugimori is an odd fellow

reminded me that >>>/peach/ exists

Even weirder to see it in action

Because they want your virtual console games tied to their bullshit DRM.

Those triangles look familiar.

why would you want them remastered? Why not just play the original games?

elaborate/wew

olo

>get nearly nothing on vita

Kids whose first console was a phone/ps4/xbonerx might have fun with them. Once the forbidden fruit is bitten, they might explore more old games and discover how fucking horrible they have it compared to what we used to have.

Hence why older games, if they are re-released, are either half-assed ports and/or buried with no fanfare or advertisement, to ensure that no stink about it is raised while still having a bonus revenue stream of clueless good goys and nostalgiafags without a spine.

Even these examples are shit, though. Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 and 2 combined have as many games as Mega Man Anniversary Collection had back on PS2. And even then, they're not as good. Maybe I'd buy it again if Legacy Collection 1 had 1-10 (still only as many games as Anniversary Collection, but the fighting games swapped for 9 and 10. But it's the only way to get 9 and 10 physically so okay). Also it should include Powered Up and the Saturn version of 8, plus all the features of the PS1 versions of the NES games (which Anniversary Collection had). Even with all this, it would only be marginally better than the collection they released for PS2. But at least it wouldn't be objectively worse, like the collection they actually released.

Then Legacy Collection 2 should have been all the non-main series Mega Man Classic games. This means Rockman World I-V, Challenger from the Future, Rockboard, the two fighting games (already on Anniversary Collection), and the racing game (already on X Collection). Ideally it would have Super Adventure Rockman, too, but I know Capcom would never go through the effort of dubbing it. I'd settle for subtitles but I doubt they'd do subtitles for that type of game. At least put it as cutscenes though. If Kingdom Hearts can get away with it three times, they might as well do it once.

But as it stands, Legacy Collection 1 is just an objectively worse version of Anniversary Collection, and Legacy 2 is only worth looking at because it's the only way to get 9 and 10 physically. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of other classic series games that are still very hard to get without turning to emulation. So okay, I'll just emulate them. But I'd buy them if Capcom put out a comprehensive collection that wasn't just a worse version of the older collections. They're just losing money. I went and bought Anniversary Collection and X Collection for like ten bucks each, but it was used, so Capcom didn't get any money. But they could have if their new collections weren't objectively worse than their old ones.

I still have my copy of the Gradius one, fucking love that shit.

Jesus. I can't believe how bad the west has shit on that franchise.

You're shitting me. Have you seen the absolute SHIT that's available on the 3DS? RCRU is playable, online, and is, dare I say, fun? I'm not sure I can think of another Kunio game that's fun, that isn't an NES or Game Boy game.