Video Game Books

What are some examples of books based on various video games? Genre doesn't matter as I am looking for something to read during downtime both while playing slower-paced vidya and while not playing at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

files.fm/u/fdehry9c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Read a real fucking book how about?

There's a Baldur's Gate novel iirc

Read manga

I've already read the most important one front to back! Need more vidya-related now

You'd be better off spending your time reading minified javascript.

These aren't in publishing order, alphabetical, by author or chronological. Awful.

Reread it in its original language.

The Halo books are good but that's about it.

I've read some of the Warcraft books.

I like your taste, but I hope you've also read the non-revised editions of First Strike and Fall of Reach? Those retcons were dumb, and the minor fixes they added weren't worth the other changes.

Was Evolutions as dumb to you guys as it was to me? That one story about the Chiefs secret childhood friend who somehow recognized him and secretly loved him when she saw him in New Mombasa, but kept it a secret was fucking awful.

This one's a good read, but you should really look for some real books, OP. I'll upload a PDF of it to the Vola.

LOOK LOOK HE HAS AN OPEN MOUTH CUCK CUCK SOYBOY CONFIRMED :^)

Theres a gears of war novel set before 3 thats basically mandatory since they scrapped the game about the sires and if you dont read the book they all just live on ships now at the start of 3. Its all about them having nothing left but fumes then lambent show up and make land uninhabitable.

>The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers Vol. 1 and 2 by John Szczepaniak
files.fm/u/fdehry9c

cool story bro

The Drag-on Dragoon/Drakenguard/Nier games have a bunch of novelizations, prequels, sequels, and extra side stories spread out across a bunch of different publications. Does anyone have the updated version of pic related?

The first Fire Emblem manga is alright.

Most of the 40k books are pretty good, and the first halo books written by that eric guy are really amazing

Eric Nylund, he is the best Halo writer they still have. Pretty sure he's still done a few in the last few years.

Do not fucking read any Karen Traviss books, why does she keep moralfagging her way in every franchise she is hired to write?

But seriously there's nothing wrong with it. Wasted triples.

I know all about the whinging fsggots they turned the S2s into. "M-muh Halsey took our childhood, we're antisocial and awkward now, despite growing up constantly interacting with our 100 or so brethren and taking officer etiquette training to learn how to command the rank and file. None of what Mendez taught us matters, because we've decided that saving humanity isn't a good enough reason anymore."

Sam didn't die for this.

343 are fucking retarded and Karen Traviss is a fucking hack.

I'd love to get the STALKER books. Recently picked up a copy of roadside picnic to start.

Just uh, aren't they all in Russian? Guess I have to start learning how to read gopnik runes huh.

6 has the POTENTIAL to be cool. If they have the Spirit of Fire and the Infinity go all Battlestar Galactica on the galaxy, I'd be hyped, won't lie. Especially to see Red team and Blue team interact. Maybe see some actual inssurectionists, hang out in one of those asteroid bases. Halo Wars 2 finally fixed the designs too.

If they want to bring some shit out of left field, just bring Jorge back. He theoretically could have survived that slipspace jump, we never saw the body.

Did someone piss in your coffee today?

You'd be surprised by the fact that roadside picnic is nothing like the STALKER games, though you could definitely see the influence.
Science fiction books written by Братья Стругацкие are all really good. Russian science fiction is probably my favorite when it comes to books. Too bad 99% are untranslated. Feels good knowing both ru and eng and being able to read whatever the fuck I want

Too little too late, Microsoft might be going out of the console business while Halo 4-5 was pure fanfiction with the diversity squad with Nathan Fillon, they can't keep their Firefly fanboyism in-check.

I remember reading a series of stories translated from Russian anout humans becoming ayy lmaos a millenia after space exploration. Would you happen to know that in any way, user?

I remember reading something similar in concept but not the same at all. If you remember the name, please do tell.
If you ever learn vodkarunes, I recommend "the stars are cold toys" and "star shadow" by a different author, i think they're pretty good.

Not what you were looking for user but All Tomorrows shares a somewhat similar theme.

It's been three? Four? years since I last read it, but I do remember ayylmaos using their farts to propel around in space, an advanced alien menace wiping out humanity and reutilizing them as slaves and pets, and genetic tampering of them later on.
Also human-elephant hybrids. Man, it was full of wack but a damn good read nonetheless.
If I recall the title went like "[something]: A millenia into human [something]".
I've had a recent brain trauma; my memories have gone patchy as heck, that and my speech is close to gone.
Sorry I can't add more to the discussion vidya games wise. Do want to read the Metro books too.

OH GOD THIS IS IT

THANK YOU user HAVE MY BABIES

Unless that shit comes complete with an actual videogame where you can lvl up,unlock segments of the book and the next chapter by defeating certain mini-bosses,completing objectives,finding secrets and the chapter boss you can count me as mildly bemused at the notion of a book where you can read about videogames instead exists when they could've used a medium that they're actually good at to craft the truly superior experience

The Resident Evil novels are fun. Shame the series never got finished, would've loved to see the homoerotic tension between Chris and Wesker hit its peak

The Ratchet & Clank comic is by the writer of the games and is canon. It goes before All 4 One and sets up stuff that happens in that game, but it's not like you need to play that one to enjoy it.

The Sonic comics are a clusterfuck that are nothing like the games, but the first Sonic and Mega Man crossover, Worlds Collide, actually is like the games. It specifically rewrites history for that one arc so that it takes place in the games' world instead of the comics' world. It's also a generally great comic, and as great a crossover as you could hope for between these two series.

Digimon Adventure V-Tamer 01 is great, and everything in Digimon is canon, so this is canon to the games.

Ultimate Spider-Man takes place in the Ultimate Marvel comics universe. So there's all of those to read as backstory to the game.