Daily News Thread 3/4

Bernie Sanders Is Going to Mississippi to March With Workers This Weekend

It’s part of a new wave of demonstrations and organizing drives linking workers’ rights and civil rights.
archive.is/tm2vF

US special ops step up strikes on al-Qaeda and ISIS, insiders say

The Pentagon has quietly ordered new commando deployments to the Middle East and North Africa amid an unprecedented series of American airstrikes in Yemen, counterterrorism officials tell ABC News.
abcnews.go.com/International/us-special-ops-step-strikes-al-qaeda-isis/story?id=45889665

Trump administration considering separating women, children at Mexico border

Women and children crossing together illegally into the United States could be separated by U.S. authorities under a proposal being considered by the Department of Homeland Security, according to three government officials.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-children-idUSKBN16A2ES

When Factory Jobs Vanish, Men Become Less Desirable Partners

Declines in manufacturing employment are shaping the structure of the American family.
theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/03/manufacturing-marriage-family/518280/

A Major Proponent of H-1B Visa Reform Loses Patience With Trump

The White House says reform of controversial guest worker program 'is an issue we are closely and carefully looking at'
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-03/a-major-proponent-of-h-1b-visa-reform-loses-patience-with-trump

US suspends expedited processing of H-1B visas

The US is temporarily suspending expedited processing of H-1B visas, eliminating the option of shorter wait times for the program that helps highly skilled foreigners work at US companies.
edition.cnn.com/2017/03/04/us/h1b-visa-premium-processing-suspended/index.html

The U.S. Government’s Privacy Watchdog Is Basically Dead, Emails Reveal

But with just one part-time board member left, after another member’s term ended last week, the agency has very few formal powers to police the so-called “deep state” until President Trump nominates a new board, the emails reveal.
theintercept.com/2017/03/03/the-governments-privacy-watchdog-is-basically-dead-emails-reveal/

GM layoffs of 1,300 workers at Detroit assembly plant

The layoffs are major blow to workers and to the city, which is already the poorest big city in America with an official unemployment rate of nearly 10 percent and real jobless rate much higher.
wsws.org/en/articles/2017/03/04/last-m04.html

Construction workers riot at Samsung, Vietnam

On Tuesday, a riot involving hundreds of construction workers broke out at a Samsung display plant in Bắc Ninh Province, not far from the capital, Hanoi.
libcom.org/news/construction-workers-riot-samsung-vietnam-03032017

Apple, IBM among 53 companies backing transgender teen in Supreme Court case

Apple, IBM and Microsoft are among 53 companies urging the Supreme Court to rule that a transgender teenager has the right to use the boys’ bathroom at his Virginia high school.
cbsnews.com/news/apple-ibm-microsoft-back-transgender-teen-at-supreme-court/

Wall Street steady after Yellen signals rate hike this month

Yellen, in prepared remarks to a business lunch in Chicago, also said rates are likely to rise faster this year, as the economy appears clear of any imminent hurdles at home or abroad for the first time in her tenure.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-stocks-idUSKBN16A1EI

As Xi Portrays Calm, Tensions Mount Ahead of Leadership Shuffle

As 3,000 lawmakers from across China descend on Beijing for an annual meeting of the world’s largest legislature, President Xi Jinping needs to portray a united front ahead of a leadership reshuffle later this year.
bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-03-02/xi-wants-no-drama-as-china-projects-calmness-to-a-world-in-flux

Chinese official calls for easing of internet censorship

‘Great Firewall’ that blocks western websites is too restrictive and hinders economic progress while discouraging foreign investors, says Luo Fuhe.
theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/04/chinese-official-slams-internet-censorship

Northern Ireland: Unionism loses its Stormont majority

Northern Ireland is today waking up to a fundamentally altered political reality: unionism is no longer a majority in the Stormont chamber for the first time since the creation of the Province a century ago.
newsletter.co.uk/news/unionism-loses-its-stormont-majority-1-7850528

Other urls found in this thread:

jacobinmag.com/2017/03/national-front-theo-luhaka-police-protest/
nytimes.com/2017/03/03/opinion/tony-blair-against-populism-the-center-must-hold.html?_r=0
latimes.com/nation/la-fg-russian-kislyak-profile-20170302-story.html
roarmag.org/essays/berta-caceres-honduras/
versobooks.com/blogs/3118-lapavitsas-the-left-is-paying-the-price-for-its-conservative-discourse-on-the-currency-union
vice.com/en_us/article/how-a-mining-disaster-devastated-an-indigenous-group-in-brazil
spiegel.de/international/europe/turkish-journalist-ahmet-sik-fight-for-freedom-a-1136716.html
counterpunch.org/2017/03/03/the-holodomor-and-the-film-bitter-harvest-are-fascist-lies/
novaramedia.com/2017/03/03/should-corbyn-really-take-the-blame-for-copeland-an-open-letter-to-owen-jones/
theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/can-millennials-save-the-democratic-party/518523/?utm_source=feed
mintpressnews.com/israel-has-succeeded-in-silencing-criticism-by-calling-critics-anti-semites-but-the-tactic-is-now-backfiring/225496/
jacobinmag.com/2017/03/debate-postcolonial-theory-review-chibber-subaltern/
nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/why-the-alt-center-is-a-problem-too.html
ibtimes.com/political-capital/will-drug-prices-come-down-donald-trump-promised-his-regulators-help
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4281088/Zuma-wants-land-owned-white-occupiers-taken.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP/EDs

Lords of Disorder

Marine Le Pen’s National Front tries to sow the seeds of chaos to make their far-right rhetoric appear more sensible.
jacobinmag.com/2017/03/national-front-theo-luhaka-police-protest/

Tony Blair: Against Populism, the Center Must Hold

Outrage is easy; strategy is hard. Outrage provides necessary motivation. But only strategy can deliver victory.
nytimes.com/2017/03/03/opinion/tony-blair-against-populism-the-center-must-hold.html?_r=0

Who is Sergey Kislyak, and how did he become the hottest meeting ticket in Washington?

After nearly a decade as Moscow’s man in Washington, the portly, bespectacled envoy is a well-known commodity in diplomatic circles.
latimes.com/nation/la-fg-russian-kislyak-profile-20170302-story.html

One year after Berta Cáceres’ murder, environmental activists in Honduras refuse to submit

In Honduras, indigenous peoples are in revolt. They are fighting for their rights to exist in a system that has no part for them to play beyond subservience.
roarmag.org/essays/berta-caceres-honduras/

Lapavitsas: "The left is paying the price for its conservative discourse on the currency union."

Lapavitsas is conscious that his positions regarding the EU and the euro are still in the minority among European progressives. Nonetheless, he believes that "the first step for the Left is to say that the currency union has to end.
versobooks.com/blogs/3118-lapavitsas-the-left-is-paying-the-price-for-its-conservative-discourse-on-the-currency-union

How a Mining Disaster Devastated an Indigenous Group in Brazil

The toxic spill that contaminated the Rio Doce continues to affect the Krenak people.
vice.com/en_us/article/how-a-mining-disaster-devastated-an-indigenous-group-in-brazil

The Absurd Trial of Journalist Ahmet Sik

Turkish investigative reporter Ahmet Sik once uncovered the practices employed by the shadowy Gülen sect. Now, he is on trial for being an alleged member of the movement. The case highlights the capriciousness of the Turkish judiciary under Preident Erdogan.
spiegel.de/international/europe/turkish-journalist-ahmet-sik-fight-for-freedom-a-1136716.html

The “Holodomor” and the Film “Bitter Harvest” are Fascist Lies

There was a very serious famine in the USSR, including (but not limited to) the Ukrainian SSR, in 1932-33. But there has never been any evidence of a “Holodomor” or “deliberate famine,” and there is none today.
counterpunch.org/2017/03/03/the-holodomor-and-the-film-bitter-harvest-are-fascist-lies/

Should Corbyn really take the blame for Copeland? An open letter to Owen Jones

Owen Jones’s recent video and column looked to Labour’s rout in the Copeland by-election to question Jeremy Corbyn’s future. Wider questions remain, but this open letter asks whether it’s fair to blame Corbyn for Copeland.
novaramedia.com/2017/03/03/should-corbyn-really-take-the-blame-for-copeland-an-open-letter-to-owen-jones/

Can Millennials Save the Democratic Party?

The 2020 election is projected to mark the first time in more than 40 years that baby boomers aren’t the largest generation of eligible voters
theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/can-millennials-save-the-democratic-party/518523/?utm_source=feed

Israel’s Anti-Semitism Smears Backfire

Israel has often succeeded in silencing criticism of its treatment of Palestinians by calling critics anti-Semites and scaring politicians into canceling public events, but the tactic is now starting to backfire, writes retired U.S. diplomat Ann Wright.
mintpressnews.com/israel-has-succeeded-in-silencing-criticism-by-calling-critics-anti-semites-but-the-tactic-is-now-backfiring/225496/

The Specter of Materialism

We need our social theory to be rigorous and accessible. At least one side of the debate over Vivek Chibber’s recent book does that.
jacobinmag.com/2017/03/debate-postcolonial-theory-review-chibber-subaltern/

Why the Alt-Center Is a Problem, Too

Not everyone on the left side of the American political spectrum shares the same policy vision and electoral strategy.
nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/why-the-alt-center-is-a-problem-too.html

Reminder that animu pics make anything 100% less relevant.

Capitalism is a slippery beast

For the record I hate Tony Blair.

Wow, Economists are finally starting to realize that you need to provide good jobs for stupid people or you will have massive social upheaval. Who would've thunk it.

They're playing the game well.

KEK, will this meme ever end?

Thanks for the links OP.

KYS

Hillary agrees. Her sweeping victory to the White House only proves Blair's assertion, oh wait. Also didn't the UK get tired of the appeal to the "center" bullshit after Gordon Brown had to assure them of it's importance after every line in every speech he gave?

Funny side note, my mom was watching CNN the other day and I heard Alan douchewitz claiming that Keith Ellison winning would "Drop a popularity anchor on the Dems like Jeremy Corbyn is for the Labour Party." Or something to that general sentiment. I've never heard someone negatively deriding a politician from another country not associated with a large scandal here. Corbyn must really be pissing in their cornflakes, get 'em lads.

Well I for one have already forgotten the fact that if by some accident of birth this same trans teen happened to live in east Asia they would be paying them five cents an hour during a 22 hour work day among other terrible things they do that I can go on listing forever.

Also, the center is shrinking fast. They cannot win an election alone.

Reminder.

voting intention actually went up until they launched their coup

That's why I made the graph, because they're making excuses for their own fuck up so often.

They've been ignoring this and saying it's the Eternal Militant, when it dropped recently because people left after they banned them from voting they lost 26,000ish members so now they're using that as their latest bit of propaganda. Art50 is triggered this month so we'll see how things go then. If they call another leadership election I'll vote Corbyn again just because it's funny to ensure the Blairites remain politically neutered and hearing them reee gives me some solace in living in arch conservative Britain. I think Corbyn will gut the press if he gets into power after all this shit.

Nothing about the 250,000 person NHS protest we had today in London? I was there and there were loads of lefties converting liberals,myself included.Shit was yuge man, y u no report on it?

OP is doing good work and deserves the sweet and true love of his waifu.

JUST

I really don't understand how "famine caused by Soviet incompetence" is superior to "famine deliberately caused by Soviet antipathy towards hohols"

WELL NO FUCKING SHIT SHERLOCK

But of course the economists that beep booped about how offshoring was a rising tide that would lift all boats ignored that because

Good joke

Listen, i know you guys are unfaithful to theory as fuck, but Bernie is just kulaking his donors as fuck, he has three homes and expensive as fuck cars. Communist my ass.

The majority voters in the southern states Bernie lost said

(1) I had little info about alternative candidates to Hillary Clinton. More TV watchers than internet users. Less educated voters on average. If you ever pointed this out though you were a racist because black people live in the south.

(2)People said in exit polls "I made up my mind about who I would be voting for 2 or more months in advance to the primary."

(3) The ones that did know other candidates said I wont vote for a non-christian. Coupled with high church attendance among a mostly older voting base.

(4) The Democratic primary was so deeply unfair in so many ways it's hard to calculate the effect it had on Sander's run let alone the run on the other 3 Dems that dropped out early.

(5) Despite being told they were ultra important states for Hillary to win in the primary she didn't win a single southern state in the general. Not even Florida which they oddly wouldn't call for hours despite Trump obviously winning it quickly. This incident reminded me of when Karl Rove refused to take Megan Kelly's insistence that the 2012 race had been called for Obama. I wont say something conspiratorial was happening, but I'll call it suspicious.

Bernie bought a vacation home and a small home to rent out. The vacation home that people often describe as a mansion cost less and has less rooms than my parents house here in a shitty California suburb. He is payed one of the smallest wages amongst politicians in his high bracket of Senators and Congressman and despite articles about him "owning sports cars" I"ve found that the cars turn out to be rentals upon further research.

Bernie is in his seventies and despite having enough money to fly first class he always took coach during the election except on a trip to see the Pope. I don't know if you have flown coach recently but the last time I was on a plane my knee was jammed into my nose, someones finger was jabbed into my ass possibly my own and a guys chair was smashing my whole front side while the person behind me was badly sick with something. I happen to be an asthmatic who gets viciously sick from the common cold so not wanting to ruin a vacation I had spent half a year planning for I had to warp my body into ungodly positioning to avoid the germs coming towards me doing slow motion Matrix movements. It was the least comfortable experience of my life.

Needless to say I give old Bern a lot of credit, I'd be reclining in first class if I had millions of donor cash and the hidden millions pol and Hillary supporters think he has. Not to mention his advanced age and somewhat bad posture. There is a lot of other reasons to dislike Bernie him living high on the hog is not one of them from what I have seen.

Thank you for posting anime

anime news is good

It's kind of ironic how liberals get mad when you point out the actual problems that a lot of American blacks face

ibtimes.com/political-capital/will-drug-prices-come-down-donald-trump-promised-his-regulators-help

more draining the swamp

Some people actually care about workers rights instead of their ego.

South African president wants to expropriate white farmers lands without compensation. Nazi masturbation fantasy imminent.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4281088/Zuma-wants-land-owned-white-occupiers-taken.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

wew

Black people can't be racist or imperialist :^)

For fuck's sake, hasn't he seen the Zimbabwe trainwreck?

As much as I admire their struggle for independence and majority rule, the new elites of Zimbabwe and South Africa have demonstrated themselves to be incompetent to a tragicomical level. A drinking bird could make better decisions than them.

I told you about the state dog

Afrikaaners are descendants of Dutch settlers that have been there since 17th century. It's the black people that are mostly migrants.

Literally cuckitalism.

"Externalities"? Is that some commie lingo or whatever?

If it kicks off in SA should white SA's be given refugee status?

it's impossible for him.