Scripted vs Open World dilemma

My dream game would be a Harry Potter game with open world but maintaining the same amount of quality content that a story driven game provides.

Games like GTA, Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, Kingdom and other open world games are incredibly underwhelming when it comes to orchestrating your own adventure, that's a why a heavily scripted and a heavily designed game is more fun to me rather than walking in an open space with no triggers, no AI, no events, no villain. It's like playing Half Life 2 without the AI enabled.

But at the same time I hate being restrained between walls in a room and not being able to explore a vast magical world. Going back to replaying sections of the game is alright, but you learn each section by heart because most of it is rails-on.

Adventure RPG games like Dungeon Siege 2 somewhat fix this by providing tons of content-filled secret pathways, extra content and branching paths. Coupled with the inventory, items, levels, spells it makes the game replayable.
Pokemon, Zelda, Secret of Mana does the breathing content-filled world decently, but fails at the scripted/story-driven adventure part.
While MMOs try to pretend they're adventure rpgs, but end up being underwhelming at both genres.

you killed your thread opp

what fucking year is this and how fucking old are you jesus fucking christ

STOP BUMP, LET THREAD DIE

Write a blog about it.

You're a fucking faggot OP.

Open world games are a meme and a lazy way to do games just by creating a geographical landscape and sprinkling the content on top.
It requires much more finesse to craft a game's content FOR the context, rather than doing the content then the context. This is objective.

Is this the designated shitpost thread?

Jesus fine faggots let me see how you'd write a thread opener for this subject.

You can't polish a turd, user.

You know, some of us have been around long enough to still have UNIX timestamped files saved from 8ch in our image folders.

How fucking new are you?

A thread on the subject shouldn't exist, the subject shouldn't exist, Harry Potter shouldn't exist, and you shouldn't exist.

Harry Potter? Really?
Fuck you're gay.

Dumping touhou because something of value should come out of this thread.

I like this new thing

OP is a colossal faggot but he does pose a legitimate (but rather obvious) point in that open world games are effectively wading through a sea of nothing until you come across one of many scattered "nodes" of interest (eg: an enemy encounter, a dungeon entrance, an npc to talk to etc.). And once you interact with one of these nodes, typically it's not very interesting to interact with it again. For example in KCD I have been accosted by the Faint-Hearted Knight twice, with identical dialogue, only differing in location. Whereas in linear games, generally speaking the entire game is one string of sequential nodes of interest that require no stumbling around to come across.

For open world games to overcome this shortcoming you would likely need a storyteller AI that creates "unique" events from basic concepts throughout the gameworld. Something like this would be a monumental task when all the average idiot wants is a shiny presentation.

You may be right, but it's much easier to spam touhou images on this thread than working on a solution.