When will the graphics meme die?

From what I see, maybe the trick is that it's cartoony? Like TF2, to me at least, kinda looks "nice" without any graphical enhancements as it's visually appealing from a distance.

optimization is a lost art, same reason games have exploded in size

TF2 used to look a lot better. Its current presentation is repulsive.

If you're referring to the video by Crowbat who compared 2007 v current graphics then I see your point.

Mostly good textures and optimization.
Modern devs just use flat textures and make up for that with needlessly complex light (which causes the oily look in the skin of most modern games). The game needs two CPUs and a titan to run because of all the shit you made and can't optimize? It's fine, just tell people who complain to upgrade their rig. :^)

I thought size was anti-piracy shit. I know it's sometimes used as an excuse, but I thought higher ups actually thought that making a game 2TBs would stop pirates.

The graphics "meme" won't die because you're objectively wrong.

Cartoon artstyle is GOAT. While a fundamentally flawed game, Evil Genius has fantastic graphics to this day just because it uses the limitations to its advantage to make characters and items look unique due to the use of colors, shading and model limitations that it looks nice for a 14 year old title.

Something about the older games was good not just graphically, but also because people had to be creative to make good graphics, an art form lost now in the decade of nothing but photorealism and muddy, flat texturework.

is this the new trademark meme?

kill yourself my man, cartoon style can fuck things up just as easily as it can do well.
Starcraft 1's graphic aesthetic was dark and attempting to be hyper-realistic with 2D sprites, starcraft 2's style was cartoony and absolutely ruined the aesthetic

The word you're looking for is "aesthetic." Games like TF2 and Windwaker had an aethetic that they didn't need to worry about graphical clarity to look good for.Most games think the only way to look good is through realism, and this is the problem.

The point is when working with graphical limitations it's easier to do more with a cartoon style than it is with a realistic style and almost always ages better than the realistic graphics.

Even the graphical enhancements used in the Xbox versions of GTA3 and VC aged pretty well, and they didn't go for cartoon graphics.

That entirely depends on the game in question. Its easier to do but its also easier to screw up a game completely with it.
Fire Emblem Awakening's cartoony, chibi style had a significant hand in ruining that game when you compare it to pretty much every other game in the series. It kiddified the tone and completely ruined it.
They had the painful limitation of having to put that shit together on the 3DS, but it wasn't an excuse. If anything its the people creating it being lazy. Echoes of Valentia blew Awakening's graphics aesthetic out of the water and it also came out on the 3DS as well.
Also being "easier to do" shouldn't factor into this shit, that's just an excuse to be lazy. Cartoon styles should fit for games with that sort of intended tone, but cartoony graphics don't necessarily "almost always" age better than realistic graphics.
Cartoony vs realistic is a shit dichotomy as well. There are plenty of aesthetics that would fit into neither of those categories, at least from the way you describe as.

I don't get it. If I were to post shit like this it'd get deleted in a second. The other day I made a legitimate Dark Souls thread and it got deleted for no reason.
I think this site stores "preferred" IP numbers of regular users and keeps it so the kike mods avoid deleting those.

go back, cuckchan.

That's what I'm implying. Glad you have 3rd grade reading comprehension skills at least.

have fun being v& cuck

I get banned for just correcting other posters on trivial things because they get mad at me over it. I don't care. This place is worse than NeoFag was. I know I'll get banned regardless of what I post , that much is true. Since it'll happen anyway, I don't have any reason to care about rules or anything like that.

christ kill yourself you overly melodramatic nigger, jesus fucking christ you need a reality check

The problem is dumb fucks like you should've never been given the job of moderating in the first place. Mark and the group of mods is just as dumb if not dumber than you. Absolutely useless even for the menial task of moderating an image board.

topkek, keep trying cuck
Then go back, cuckchan. I don't know why you haven't, unless you got permabanned there as well in which case I'm just here to laugh at you, rapefugee. Have fun finding a home.

Mocking doesn't really work if even in your shittiest tone my logic still manages to make sense through your retard speech.
You can call it whatever you want, it'll never change the fact that you're also bitching and furthering my meta posting, thus degrading the post quality overall just as much as I'm doing.
Again: dumb fuck. And still falling for it. At least I have no pretenses regarding my posting here.

It's a combination of devs no longer being constrained by the size of a DVD, and the large amount of VRAM in current systems allowing for extremely high-res, uncompressed textures.

Its not mocking if you're that terrible at it.
And yes, shitting up the thread is shitting up the thread you monkey.
The fact that people as dumb as you are given moderation roles is incredibly amusing to me.

Dumb retard tears are my favorite tears.

I know. You get used to it. I appreciate your concern.

You don't expect people to be so formal here, but that's the correct format. Same goes for music albums, whereas song titles go between quotation marks.

No,you are a fool to believe it will. Your average normalfag sees something shiny and assume its good based off that alone. There are cars that I love aesthetically but is actually mediocre

jokes on you next gen in TRL only adds ugly bump mapping and makes everything fucking shit
Lara cellulite, Lara 56%

I wonder what happened to all the artists that worked on this game.

Fag.

Left after being forced to make gay sex art by Bioware management.

And there's also uncompressed audio as well, especially since the game comes with X amount of languages bundled in it

Seriously, fuck off this site, now.
You have no idea of what a fucking codec is and you still want to talk about this subject giving your shitty opinions? You are lucky the mods are even bigger faggots, because your excuse of a post is almost shit as you are, retard.
I hate you so much. If you don't understand shit, just don't post. Or go somewhere else like Reddit.

Some options have a huge impact on performance. Other options have no impact. The low, medium, high, and ultra presets are often garbage. It is best to select ultra and scale down options until it runs at your target fps with little input lag. If you have a rx 460 or gtx 1050, then you are better off than most consolefags. You can find settings posted online that mimic quality settings found on xbone and ps4 if you are curious.

Hitler dubs. what should OP have said?

When you and most normalfags stop buying official components and start buying smuggled ones, so the (((companies))) producing them go bankrupt and give way to smaller and competent groups.

Half-true

Cel shading graphic and Team Fortress use a lot of flat like textures and can run much faster. Shader Mods for old games can prove it.

The thing with modern dev they add complex textures maps and add lot shaders(diffuse,specular,bump,illumation…) on them. Early Gen7 graphics had like 2 shaders, later on they double or triple the shader amount.

.t Pentium III owner

Why are you trying so hard to be a fag?
Just don't do it, mate.

When devs finally stop trying to sell to the West

You 'd be surprised by the amount of fags here that only own mud country tier laptops, yet believe are part of any gaming community let alone this board

Please do not use such foul language, this is a Christian imageboard.

I dunno man, it really depends on art direction.
Steven Universe is a cartoon, you think that shit is GOAT too?
I admit I'm a sucker for low-poly and simple but high-res texture work that runs buttery fucking smooth, like classic TF2 and shit, but I wouldn't say it's the perfect fit for every game.
There are a couple of new games coming out that do it right, like Mulaka and Deep Rock Galactic.

Italicising objects with proper nouns (ship names for example) is grammatically correct, and like most grammar it's rare on the internet. I'm not surprised you haven't seen it before.

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Bob is building a Vidlii army.
▂▄▅███████████▅▄▃▂ ☻/ Bob is against Youtube and Google.
Il███████████████████] /▌ Bob is against Soulless Bureaucrats.
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤ / \ BOB stands with those who refuse to be silent. Copy & paste this message in order to take down YouTube.

Picking an art style/settings that compliments your limitations is as good a way to look good as any.

I wish it would die too, but how are Developers going to make unoptimized video game if they can't tie up 50 Terabytes of you hard drive with 4k textures and uncompressed lossless audio?

Graphics faggotry is a large part of the cancer killing vidya. Game devs need to be spending more time making a consistent art style, not trying to jam in algorithms to generate shadows from 30 light sources which making the character's piss stream glisten as it passes through a sun beam.

Wow, it's an echo chamber by design.

What game is this from? I want to see what that top looks like in 3d.

The anti-piracy meme doesn't hold water. If it's about bandwidth you're always going to use less by downloading a repack. If it's about storage space you're just going to delete it once you move on to the next new thing. Even the most incompetent developer would see this which is why poor optimization is a better explanation for most games.

Almost every official forum run by a big developer/publisher will have these rules, this is nothing new.