RTS Thread: Autismus Maximus Edition

Recap of current happenings:
- Iron Harvest going full Kikestarter on 13th of March;
- (((Age of Empires: Definitive Edition))) came out
- Oh and Railway Empire came out if you're into that sort of thing
Whatcha playin'? Turtler or rusher? When will you finally get off your ass and try out that one game? You know, the one you always put off?

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/o41nyv
cncnet.org/red-alert
cncnet.org/dawn-of-the-tiberium-age
store.steampowered.com/app/303860/Machines_At_War_3/
store.steampowered.com/app/318650/SunAge_Battle_for_Elysium/
store.steampowered.com/app/647960/Rusted_Warfare__RTS/
store.steampowered.com/app/370070/Wyrmsun/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850614737
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/armageddon--for-the-crimson-glory-korean-starcraft-clone/
archive.org/details/msdos_Armored_Moon_-_The_Next_Eden_1998
archive.org/details/Extreme_Tactics_1997_Piranha_US
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/jeff-waynes-the-war-of-the-worlds/
ag.ru/games/mission-humanity/nfo
old-games.com/download/9040/mission-humanity
chomikuj.pl/racjonalizator/GRY/Exterminacja *5bPL*5d/Exterminacja *5bPL*5d,1559318568.iso(archive)
striketactics.net/
imovethings.blogspot.de/2016/02/spiter-render-kit-for-blender-3d.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How would you judge pic related? I have decent internet speed now and want to finally try out rts games.

As expected of retarded cuckchan charts

Kurwaaaa :D

PURGE THESE WITH FIRE!

I was thinking of making an unofficial Red Alert 4 to test whether I can transform 3d models into sprites and whether I can make a functional AI. What would you guys think of a game set in the Napoleonic Wars, with the Entente playing like the Soviets, the Coalition playing as the Allies and I'm torn between steampunk-techno-Japan and Central America as the subversive Yuri-like faction?

Cossacks?

We can talk about Railway Empire? Got a few complaints.

It's not bad but I'd recommend playing sandbox or the campaign for some history stuff.

Sounds like they fucked up with the autism?

I don't really want to make yet another Russian faction though

How about Spanish royalists? Adept at guerilla warfare on account of France conquering them.

What said. Plenty of factions to fuck around with.

The idea I had was that RA3's Shogunate was about to collapse, just like the Soviets, so they tried to go back in time to kill Stalin and retroactively destroy the Union, except they fucked up the original American/Soviet schematics and they ended up throwing a bunch of their tech way into the 1700's and having to either fight back for their position or regroup somewhere to hopefully get back to the future or stop this mess from existing in the first place. I thought of Southern/Central America because it would have been remote enough from mainland Europe and because there's more and funnier Latin American stereotypes than there's Spanish.

aztec

I have an urge to know what kinda MRE they had in Tib sun and what kinda kit they gave out to their troops to deal with Tiberium contamination

I kind of want a curry now.

have a green curry in the name of kane my friend

i actually enjoyed KKND2 and WarWind 2
shit taste aside, they had something going there…

KKND2 was alright

Is there anything wrong with AoE Definitive Edition other than being locked to the wangblows store

Are you trying to summon that user that's super autistic about Mesoamerican cultures? I'm down.

MESOAMERICA user, WE BESEECH YOUR PRESENCE AND DUMPS OF PARAGRAPH LONG INFO AND FURRY UNIFORMS

hell yeah I'd like that

What the fuck? No.
Incomplete garbage.

this itself if enough to disregard AoE DE

Yeah, kinda. I just wanna ride along with trains and there's the sandbox for that but not being able to go coast to coast due to "map limitations" is a bit sad.

Would work with bamboo tech and summoning death gods but somehow I don't think it's enough to warrant a full faction's worth of characters. I must admit, though, seeing sprite versions of huge aztec heads and constructions sprout up from the ground is kind of intriguing.

Tiberium Cakes I guess
More importantly what's with Germans and these weird but consistent memes?

Germany is the land of autism, consistency is valued above all else.
t. German

ORDNUNG UND AUTISM

Did you remember to upgrade your mexes, user-kun?

Do you enjoy wasting valuable metal goy?

When did Chris Taylor get so swole?

Need more Aztec RTS games.

WEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

There's a 3d one too.

anons place your bets on what stupid shit pic related will do

All three?

lets vote shall we?
poal.me/o41nyv

I'll add WE WUZ NAZIS AND SHIET

Iron Harvest looks pretty good, who's going to buy it and only play single player.

That one says wait for DOW3 but that game is already out.

Good point. It needs to be in shit tier.

Heresy tier

Wtf is going on, I'm trying to install soulstorm but the setup gives me the "The version of this file is incompatible with the version of windows you are running". Anyone know of a fix or a torrent that works?

Why soulstorm over dark crusade?

You aren't a Windows 10 cuck are you?

Mods

What are the mods you want for soulstorm that aren't available for dark crusade?

More factions and a bigger map? The real question is "why dark crusade over soulstorm"?

Better single player I guess

But isn't Dark Crusade's singleplayer the same color painter mode that Soultstorm has, only it happens in a single planet instead?
If it doesn't even feature 3-way wars, then there's no point to play it over Soultstorm since it lacked that as well.

Mods

Windows 7 64

For starters there's a nice selection of mini-mods and Campaign mods. Dark Crusade really only has one mod worth playing.

Really odd, it shouldn't have any issues. Using Disc or Steam?

I just remember Soulstorm having really awful balance issues and some shit was just flat out broken, and I'm not sure if it was ever fixed. Kasrkin in Winter Assault were busted, but got nerfed in Dark Crusade. But Flash Gitz for the orks in Soulstorm could singlehandedly destroy an entire enemy base without assistance. Absolute insanity.

Patched Soulstorm is actually a lot better balanced than Dark Crusade. There's still elements of massive cheese but it's overall a better experience now.

Do you mean official patches or fan made balance patches?

what about Indians as well or instead?

yes please bake me

it's a yuri harvester/refinery which operates on slave labor

lets talk about our favorite dead games

Both official and fan made. Hate on Soulstorm stems more from massive release issues.

Dow1 Dow2 and Dow2 Laststand.

Last stand somehow displays more variety and fun than the main game

There was a mod for Chaos Rising that made a better version of Last Stand with more characters to play.

that's because the base game is ASS so anything is an improvement to it

Ass for the ASS god, CUM FOR THE CUM THRONE

Annex ctw

is it as extensive as the elite mod?

throne's for the throne throne

The variety and originality of the game play reminds me of the original dota mod. I think relic could salvage itself if it goes back to a simple last stand style game or dow1 with dow2 cover system.

the people who did dow3 were the ones who did the last stand

Also there is soo much opportunity to use steam workshop for gameplay and visual mods. They could make the original Dow1 successful just buy adding steam workshop support and adding support for paid cosmetic community mods.

Well it added more fun and made Last Stand 5 player instead of 3 player co-op.

with how many mods for dow1 there are I'd say that'd be a very smart thing to do

F U N eh?

I don't even see the same cover system, probably no one from DOW2 worked on DOW3 considering they couldn't even rehire the same voice actors.

The Last Stand is kinda like assfaggots, but without esports aspect (which per se makes it infinitely better, but that's not saying much).

The Forgotten Emerald is the only mod to TLS I know. Too bad nobody plays it.

Metal Fatigue was rather disappointing. You can spam mechs too easily and they move way too slow unless you up the gamespeed or put speed legs on all of them. Units also get stuck on each other a lot.

The space marines alone could have very extensive cosmetic mods that I would pay for

yeah you're right, the people who did last stand were a separate team and they said fuck it and made them the full team because the actual team left

that's pretty much old school RTS

it's not that difficult, but as you said, the AI is shit. to optimize things I would make 2-3 parallel tracks with signals so trains could wait less for each other. the AI disregarded this completely.

if I may add to your list:

I played 2. Water faction could just turtle and eventually flood the other faction.

Come on son, you have to make money to be successful. Plus if they are community monetized then you could make money from making them. Without money, there is no incentive for them to revive DoW1 with steam workshop and revitalize the brand without spending much money.

they don't want the small time money they'd get from that, they want the esports dosh starcraft2 had, hence why they fucked dow3 as they did

Dawn of War II would have been better if they could decide if it was an Action RPG or Dawn of War - Company of Heroes. If it had a 4 player co-op campaign where you could choose your characters it would have been amazing. If it had a Skirmish/Multiplayer mode that actually let you fortify points so the game didn't descend into a game of chase after the cap points again it would have been better.

I don't think it's the end goal, but reviving Dow1 and Dow2 with steam workshop will do a lot of things. For new fans, their most recent memory will be of games that are fun. For relic, it will rebuild their image slowly. For relic, it will make some money and be a way of focus testing to see what specific things people want in a DoW game. Plus since computer hardware has advanced since 2009, they can change DoW2 to have larger army sizes.

I literally posted that video last thread
Who knew pottery made him look like a crazy hobo?

Literally nobody heard me when I told them this was going to be unredeemeable garbage
Then again this thread also has people that think Company of Heroes was good.

I don't remember the AI in Dark Crusade being as tedious to fight as the fucking AI in Soulstorm.

Isn't that just the lasher tank?

People were very hopeful based on the first trailer. But hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

I don't think they're competent for that or the wrong people in the right places have utterly shut down any actual good the place had or still has, not to mention all that would cost money as well

kinda what I thought at first but why would it have a whip if so?

Also reminder that someone in DoW3 had to try and reverse engineer the whole fucking game just to bring some sort of base building back only to fail.

What would it give lashes with then?

her feminine benis

How's it like being wrong?

Didn't it have Denuvo?

I had the exact opposite reaction. That trailer had me worried. Enough so that I killed most of my hype at that time and braced for garbage. Didn't think it would end up being THAT bad, but at least I avoided the disappointment.

That picture is fantastic. What a wonderful display of incompetence all wrapped up in a single comment.

I kind of feel sorry for Relic. I refuse to believe that they intentionally drove the game against the wall this hard - instead, I see the dark taskmasters of Sega whipping a horde of whimpering coders every time sometimes tries to smuggle in something that even vaguely resembles an RTS element and isn't more than just lipservice to the genre when the lowly serfs are supposed to produce a MOBA clone.

So essentially they built something and forgot how to disassemble it?

WEW lad

It does say a >designer
worked on it, which makes me think a single non-programmer tried to add RTS elements, but failed. If that's the case it's not surprising.

Yeah it's inconsistent as fuck. Frankly speaking you're better off playing Railroad Tycoon games. User interface isn't a complete ass and most importantly, gameplay is fun, logical, and consistent.

It's not even going to come out. It's going to get the same fate that Mandate got.

Actually for all everyone likes to shit on publishers for a game going wrong SEGA are better for keeping the status quo. A good example was Creative Assembly and Rome Total War II, after Creative Assembly screwed the pooch on that so SEGA tightened the noose. End result they are back on form. I wager SEGA gave Relic enough rope to hang themselves but will be very much controlling if they ever make a new Dawn of War.

"""""""""""""""""Relic"""""""""""""""""

Relic have been screwing the pooch for a while. First was how they fucked the Homeworld sequel. Next was Dawn of War II albeit Campaign was good followed by Tales of Valor, Space Marine and Company of Heroes II. Relic as a company need their pants taken down and put across a knee for a firm spanking.

What kind of underwear would Relic wear?

Which one?

remember when RTS was the modern FPS of the 90s?

I miss those days

You faggets better add these to the list

War Wind is great.
Had the training in Huts mechanic before Battle Realms and War of the Ring.
I also remember the Multiplayer of Die Siedler, Knights and Merchants and SAGA. Rage of the Vikings also very fondly.

Something slutty and inappropriate.

Homeworld 2

many I remember that one. fun shit.

Is it any good?

it stands for FUCKING UNHAPPY NEOPHYTES

oh really now

So is Ancestors Legacy getting mod and map support, anyone know?

those fuckers already have like a month long open multiplayer beta and it looks like it's going to be on until release
anyhow looks like they're planning to do it

noice

Thine tanks of secrecy doth not function against mine fortification.

you fuckers don´t now how great and batshit insane that game was you fuckers reminded me that life is great
im off to play some fucking cossacks and you fags should do aswell

It's shit like this that reminds me that games are an absolute joy and that the e-sports cancer is doomed to crash and burn multiple times before people realize that an unbalanced but versatile and huge game will beat every day of the week a competitive but minimalistic and "balanced" experience.

B-but m-muh t-twitch audience! M-muh e-sports!

The original esport games are all ones that didn't focus on competitive balance anyway.

You're driving this joke into the ground.
Get some self-awareness.

This is what casuals actually believe. A vast & versatile game can only remain versatile as long as it is balanced, because every imbalance removes units, buildings, strategies, maps and even entire races & factions from the game because they're not viable due to imbalance. A small balanced game has a more extensive gameplay than a large imbalanced one.

Yes, if you're in the tryhard esport scene. Everyone else just gets on with it because they want to.

Technically correct for playing against other players or good AI in zero-sum games like standard skirmish.
Otherwise, having an unbalanced scenario can be great as well for campaigns or situations with their own rules.
Multiwinia for instace has some gamemodes where one player starts with heavy fortifications and lots of reinforcements to defend a "castle" the other players have to take. It's not an even situation but it still works out.

Against lesser AI\players, otherwise you won't.
If your enemy brings the absolute best he can possibly muster, then you can either reply in kind or lose the game. And if the absolute best you can get is just 10% of the game, than those 10% are all that's gonna be used.

Note that this isn't limited to multiplayer either. You can pretty much dick around and play as you want against Easy AIs, but if you up the difficulty, every mistake will be punished and wasting resources on sub par units is a mistake.

Balance is just as important for singleplayer and casual settings as it is for multiplayer. It's not simply about making things fair, it's about making them viable for more than gimmicks that you'll never get the oportunity to use against anyone putting some effort.

He's clearly driving the joke into pillboxes.

???
If you're talking about the stuff like Melee I guess it's true as long as you don't bring up the whole "muh stages" argument where 90% of the game's content is taken off because otherwise players who lose to the terrain get their fee fees hurt by a videogame.

It's not because it's imbalanced. It's asymmetrical balance, with some things always getting unnoticed and ending up as overpowered compared to the main units. Also the rules about banning shit because they're broken only exist because they assume that tryhards that play a game 20 hours a day all have the same playing field, and hence if one of them used the infinity + 1 exploit everyone else around him has to go full arms race to stay competitive. Except time and time again it has been shown that no matter the game, there'll always be an autist who finds a game breaking tactic with a much weaker character, he ends up exploiting it to beat the top tier player and either the "community" decides to ban it because they can't deal with having their fee fees hurt by throwing their months-long training sessions in the toilet or just force everyone to adapt to the new meta by playing that strategy obsessively. I.E. the cancer that is 6s in TF2, where literally every single weapon but the worst and most boring shit is kept in and you can't do anything fun like having a second Medic because heaven forbid if you want to have a more varied match, you can't expect the enemy to counter your tactic or git gud.
Besides, it's my firm belief that, if you were such a highly skilled player in that game, you'd be able to manage playing as the worst character against the best one. Not that it would mean you could WIN, but at least you wouldn't be steamrolled.

The problem of e-sport cancer is that it tries to reestablish what "balanced" means. I can understand shit like stunlocks that are impossible to evade as being cheap, but if you look at most games that fall under this category, they'll do their level best in order to stop you from gaming the system or playing the game the way the devs intended to.

dunno about others, but to me balanced means possible to counter. that's """bad""" probably because it forces players to think how to counter X other than playing X.

And then everyone else starts using that same tactic, reducing the whole game down to it until it's nerfed and balance is restablished.
There's nothing wrong with asymetrical balance as long as it's still balance. If you have a fighting game with 20 characters but one of them is better than 15 others, this isn't asymetrical at all, he doesn't play differently, he plays better.

The thing about 6's meta is that, despite how cancerous it is, it exists for a reason. Because any deviation from that meta results in lower odds of winning a match.
You can bring a second medic if you want, but your team is now less likely to win the game because of that (and if you just wanted fun, not necessarily winning, you'd have stayed with pubs and 12v12 instead).
This comes down from how the game works and it's own balance. It's not the community that tells you what classes to play, it's how the game handles it's classes that results in that one specific configuration being the optimal one and it's a really good reason on why balance is so important. If Team Fortress 2 was an actually balanced game, you'd have far more possible meta compositions being viable.

If two equally skilled players face against each other but one has a better character, he will win most of the time if not always.
If this does not happen, then you're not facing against equally skilled players, you're playing the game on Easy so of course less optimal characters still do work.

Yes, they'll try to cover ground and prevent cheesy metas from appearing that make the game unfun for everyone that isn't as concerned about winning as those using cheese tactics.
Meaningless phrase that means nothing and no concrete example is ever given along with it.
Devs will either put things in a game because they think it's cool stuff or they'll put it in with a specific purpose to obey a specific design. I'm guessing you're ranting about the second one but truth be told, the first eventually leads to it anyway since some of the cool shit will be useless except as a gimmick and eventually a meta will crop up anyway where you're using specific tactics to win anyway. It will be the community coming up with it instead of the devs and that's a point you can chalk up if you wish, but the end result is still playing by the numbers if you want to win against equally skilled oponents whenever there's no good balance.

I prefer to think of "balanced" as "viable".
As in, a specific strategy is balanced when it can actually help you win a game if properly used but it's not so good that it voids other strategies.

For instance, if you have stealth units in an RTS, they are only "balanced" if they actually cause enough damage to justify the resources they cost and the micro they require vs standard units but they don't do so well that you're better off making stealth units only.
The second part ties indeed into the "possible to counter", since their usefullness can be limited by hard counters that you gotta play with, however if the hard counters to them are basic units your enemy will produce by the metric fuckton, then why bother with stealth units? They are still unbalanced but by a negative margin instead.

I mean the original CS, Quake, Starcraft.

it's now loss for the genre

When did we get our own plane?

/bane/ allowed to borrow one of theirs.

I figure that there's an optimum level of both balance and imbalance.
If a game is too balanced, every option feels the same and nobody plays it.
If a game is too balanced, there is only one option that works, the game stagnates into "play X or play to beat X", and dies the slow death of the sub-par game.
The ideal game has enough imbalance for each option to be distinct in its effectiveness and feel, but balanced enough to prevent stagnation into "X and anti-X"

That would either be a really good idea or a terrible one honestly this is one of the better eternal generals on Holla Forums so I guess it would be fine as long as nobody started a skubfight over micro vs macro.

I'd prefer it if we were all in some kinda open world RTS game where we could shitpost and fight tbh

Macro to a tier break then micro that's what its there for, where/when you swap is meta.

WHAT HAVE YOU STARTED user?

I could get with this as long as anons cosplay as famous generals from history.

nah tbh

Hitler wasn't a General though.

not with that attitude he's not

Err you don't get to sail into Switzerland?

what a awful design

WHAT NIGGER?

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SAYING NIGGER? THAT YOU CAN'T UPDATE GAMES TO MODERN SPECS EVEN IF YOU KEEP EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME THE SAME? ARE YOU FUCKING SAYING NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO UPDATE ANYTHING? ARE YOU SAYING REMASTERED EDITIONS COUNT AS WHOLE NEW GAMES AND NOT FUCKING REMASTERS? HOW CAN YOU PUT ORIGINAL HOMEWORLD IN THE WHITE SECTION BUT PUT THE IDENTICAL BUT GRAPHICALLY UPGRADED VERSION OF HOMEWORLD IN THE SHIT CATEGORY?

ITS BECAUSE YOU'RE A FUCKING NOSTALGIANIGGER WHO HASN'T FUCKING PLAYED THE ORIGINAL SINCE THE EARLY 2000s BECAUSE ORIGINAL HOMEWORLD DOES NOT RUN ON WINDOWS 7

REMINDER THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING WORSE THAN A NOSTALGIANIGGER.

What scary is how close it came to actually being in game among other things.

You're either randy, autistic, or both.
Homeworld Remastered is shit. It used HW2's shitty non-physics engine to remake HW1, breaking both the strategies and the campaign missions. You're retarded.

Except they haven't. The remaster of Homeworld 1 completely FUCKED it beyond recognition and then they botched their halfassed attempt of fixing it by breaking not only movement but a fuckton of mods as well.
Nothing to say of removing multiplayer from the original Homeworld game.

No.
You're just.

NOSTALGIANIGGERS

Those are all early concepts though.

in order

there's afew reasons why it's a shitty remaster, so there's an option to change the engine to classic ones right? well only this doesn't fix the issue the game has with higher resolutions of which you have to change the registry key for it inorder to get working. so not only do they basically force you to play HW on the HW2 trash engine but you're an idiot for buying it as it doesn't even bring the game to modern computers tbh

Okay let's establish how much of a fucking moron you are in:
Straight away those are seven major fucking issues with Homeworld 1 alone. Four of those also manage to fuck up Homeworld 2 as well.

Of all the things to complain about with that chart why would you pick something it does correctly?

Gameplay wise I enjoyed C&C 3 but most of the units were nowhere near as memorable as tibsun/firestorm's. But hey on the plus side we didnt get your pics in the game either so it could've been worse

C&C has had a history of batshit insane concepts. This is stuff that is from Tiberian Dawn. C&C3 basically ran with the overthetop units but instead of calming shit down in the design process kept it up.

You're retarded. Gearbox completely fucked up the way formations worked. Units in the original attacked and moved in formations. In the remaster they would assume the formation when ordered, but as soon as they attacked something they would break formation and move in a blob. They also completely replaced the ballistic simulation with RNG bullshit to determine whether attacks hit or not.
Granted, an update was released which allegedly fixed the formation issue. In any case there's no real reason to play the remaster except muh graphics.

On a different note, RTS gamenight when?

That's a pretty cool one.

Jesus Christ how horrifying

Should see the Generals concept art. It looked like it would out Red Alert, Red Alert.

Jet Set Radio Mecha when?
For some reason it won't let me post the Mammoth Tank concept on this board

All of this should've been added into the game

Why live

What's better about the monkey grenadiers is it was for an African faction.

Could you imagine how games would look if concept artists were also in charge of graphics and visual design?

Red Alert 3? :^)

These actually look pretty bad. They'd fit more in a post apocalyptic game, not C&C.

generals was already the least "C&C-like" out of all the games during that time so I wouldn't mind if they went completely overboard with the nuttiness

And then it'd be the Stalin vs Martians of C&C, "omg so random XD" for randomness' sake. I'm fine with the current game as it is.

Not a fan of phantom crash, I take it?

Nothing wrong with generals as it is of course. Still a fun game I guess I'm just wishing we had more C&C games to play seeing how the series is dead

The more grounded designed units tend to be more recognizable. A problem with Red Alert 2 was even though it was a good game there was an issue how some units were more over the top compared to simplier units which made them less regonizable.
I am actually struggling to put this into words but I feel that there were a few overdesigned units in Red Alert 2 making you think "What the actual fuck does this unit do?" Mods funny enough have this issue tenfold.

Still loving these stupid concept art hot damn that would be silly to have in a game.

As for the unit designs ingame that is actually a worthy discussion topic. TS/FS didn't really have this issue but RA2 I suppose its more noticeable for sure. Vanilla games aside, when you want some proper garbled up mess then look no further because mental omega & twisted insurrection has dozens of these.

I'm still a big fan of the pretty maps they've made in TI especially just due to how neat it all looks in the TS lighting system they took full advantage of but the majority of units and buildings have so much going on that you can't tell anything apart. At first it made me real happy to see people put so much work into making these neat mods and I can still appreciate the maps at the very least but good god whoever designed their units needs to tone it the fuck down and learn how to make proper sprites

Always remember that C&C was at its best when it was down to earth. A bit of wackiness is good, but the series is most memorable for its relatively normal units with just the right flair of silly.

If I say "I'll make my own road!" or "Let's go on a raid!" you'll know who I'm talking about.

Now if I say "watch as they buckle!", you try guessing why fucking unicorn that one's from.
Tip: It's from red alert

Which*

Having a swastika base, formation or emblem is mandatory

difference is those look good

would have been better like that tbh

Wasn't the new GLA based in the Congo and Mauritania?

open world RTS' would only work if they were set historically during the Middle Ages/Renaissance and you played as a Mercenary Commander or up to the point where mechanization became a thing in a fictional universe due to the fact that it would be too easy to just fucking gank someone's fuel and ammo trucks and it would eliminate the need for static bases.

I think what I am about to post could be the basis of some fine shitposting material

Reminder that games can't ever get away with this anymore

Just imagine the butthurt if they put this in.

Was there a reason those materials weren't used? I am assuming this since it is just line sketches so far.

They were rough drafts for ideas. Probably thought of something better.
Going back I am amazed how different even Tiberian Dawn could have been.

I sure hope your criteria for them being "good" isn't just because they're from Westwood. They look silly as fuck all the same, save for the buggy one.

Too bad Westwood wasn't capable of implementing most of it, like they couldn't figure out the advanced underwater combat for RA1.
They could at least keep the explosion graphics from early builds, man the retail version ones just blow.

That's be fucking terrible. Everything else is neat though.

This will not do.

Those aren't in game, most promo screenshots were shopped

Not if they did it at like 10% hitpoints left, with fire rate reduction by 30% below 50% hp and by 60% below 25%.
Combine it with re-introduction of mechanics from RA1 expansions, or by just giving engineers ability to repairs vechicles up to 50% maybe 60% of their maximum hitpoints and you would have neat combat system.

by engineer repair I mean they would stand next to vechicle and just keep repairing it, not walk and disappear into it leaving you with 500$ hole in your pocket

Bunch of pointless shit for a game of its sort tbh. Combat was way too fast paced for it to be appreciable in any level.

Even on speed 5 sp/6 mp TS is still the slowest paced iteration of classic C&C gaemz by far.

Compare it to RA1 or RA2.
If TS is too fast for you then you need to git gud or go back to chess, m8.

So you never used carryalls and disruptors then? You can end matches in less than 4-5 mins simply by making 20 infantries and deleting the enemies' MCV.
TS is just broken and Nod is underpowered despite APC engie/CybrgComm tactics.

I bet you haven't even had your first devil tongue rush/engi APC rush yet, greenhorn.

user pls

Here's (You), just a few titans by refs+obligatory emp in base denies DT in both small spreaded strikes and big rushes. Do you even TS multiplayer fam?

Which RTS games allow me to command spookboyes? Besides Warlords: Battlecry and Warcraft 3?

westwood was always ambitious. The cut content alone in Tiberian Sun is ridiculous. What's interesting I find though is how things changed in Dawn and Red Alert. Like Allies being NATO and Nod having Medium Tanks.

I am going to be bashing my head against the keyboard cause it's on the tip of my tongue but there are a few more.

Heroes of Annihilated Empires
Its made by the same guys that did Cossacks and American Conquest, so expect very large numbers of units

Goddamn this makes me want to download Red Alert.

Where can I get a Red Alert?

That's the name of the bloody game. Thanks user I was having a complete headache over that. Sequel with Tanks vs Skeletons never ever

Open wide!
cncnet.org/red-alert
Or alternatively there's this if you want Dawn and Red Alert combined. And drive Stanks into Pillboxes
cncnet.org/dawn-of-the-tiberium-age

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and Soulstorm :^)

kek reminder that NuRelic abandoned their Dawn of MOBA Necron expansion cause it was totally not their fault nobody liked their game :^)
Here's some random sketches

oh i forgot about that one thanks, i'll check it out

i play a dark crusade campaign every year since its release, yeah necrons rock

The worst part about DoW3 is that both choices were shit.
The game succeeds and we get absolute garbage that can set a precedent for future releases, the game fails, like it did, and DoW is pretty much dead in the water.

Of course I feel like what happened was for the best since now we won't get any more of these fucking bullshit moves, but still, it's depresing man.
Almost as depressing as to what happened to Massive

You could pimp your DoW experience with Purgation of Kurava/Firestorm over Kurava/Ultimate Apocalypse mods.
You will need Soulstorm tho, despite retarded voice acting and writting they actually fixed a lot of retarded balance issues from DC so you all in all at least you will enjoy the gameplay
What the fug

more good shit from the better days

I like playing Total Annihilation, I finished Core campaign and the Core Contingency pack, I liked it that using only T1-2 vehicles and some air units is very doable, spare it for the sea mission.

4AM has absolutely no vidya discussion it is pure circle jerk but that fucking post warranted for a ban? fucking kike

I have soulstorm, question is - which one of those mods is the best? I'm intrigued, but i'd rather not waste time on a broken mod if you know what I mean so I'd appreciate a second hand opinion

obviously alot of work would have to be done to figure out a decent method but I don't think having something only non-static would really be out of the question, maybe at worst a semi-static

well they look correct for what they are, like someone with an actual understanding of how to draw things did it in a time-frame that wasn't rush.

Honestly I am getting a little sick of his shit round here. No wonder there's a thread on /sudo/ demanding his removal.

it's because of rule 8, if he does something deemed ban worthly and it "sort of" falls into it, then more often then not they ban all posts by ip in thread, it's fucking frustrating because usually 90% of it is on topic and yeah they do play favorites, I've gotten into long autistic arguments over stupid shit and it be fine for days only to later get banned and posts deleted because "rule 8" even though the other fucker never gets it too.

Firestorm over Kaurava(FoK) describes itself as "closer to codex" meaning its balanced to be closer to the tabletop, while Ultimate Apocalypse(UA) just more of everything kinda moshing everything together making everything bigger and not giving too much of thought about balancing, its still mayor fun spamming nothing but Imperial Conscripts
I can also recommend the Unification Project if you just want the base game with as many factions/races as possible
It is very download heavy however since its required to download the races all separately
Also to note is that FoK is AFAIK dead and UA is still being worked on/updated

mah nigga
can't find any of the OST webms I've made, so here's one from youtube

The worst part about DoW3 is that both choices were shit.

The game succeeds and we get absolute garbage that can set a precedent for future releases, the game fails, like it did, and DoW is pretty much dead in the water.
Of course I feel like what happened was for the best since now we won't get any more of these fucking bullshit moves, but still, it's depressing man.
Almost as depressing as to what happened to Massive

UA has the most stuff but it's a fucking mess of quality, you'd get some really good models or…

It was clearly not a rule 8 violation in this thread. He can throw his kosher sausage around all he wants but nobody is going to bite it when he deliberately fucks up like this.

It still hurts
It hurts and must be what RTS hell looks like.

Not just DLC
They made the garbage that is the Division after 7 years of doing what you said and they're doing an Avatar game to cash out on the sequel movies to that garbage movie.
They even made a short clip on their own Youtube channel independently from Jewbisoft saying they love PC gayman
It fucking hurts man, it hurts so fucking much

I feel like they wish they could drive into pillboxes about now.

T1 vehicles and air units is the way to go for CORE in any case, so you can say you were playing the game "properly" if that means anything to you.

thanks man I appreciate it, i'll check them all out lol

Yeah I find it surprising that the Goliath tank was more effective than the Reaper tank because I thought it is going to perform worse but it was not the case, it has longer range and does a tad more damage which is very helpful in dealing with the Guardian structure, unlike the reaper tank which I lost more. The A.K is pretty much trash with low rate of fire rate and low hitpoints. The most troubles I had with the core mission was the Arm moon planet, because I couldn't figure out were the damn galactic gate was and I thought I had to destroy the Arm base first. I find it surprising the mission last me over a hour despite the mission text described that the galactic gate was rigged with bombs. I managed to finish it by just sending the commander there and placing him to the edge so that it doesn't get hit with artillery fire.

Also vehicle plants are cheaper then the kbot lab so it helps too a bit.

Well fucking played.

I do worry that the stank guy will never play again because of this though

Just spam T1 air fighters and order them to move forth and back for maximum ground units desctruction and havoc :^)

I particularly liked Battlecry 2 and Dark crusade's( I guess shitstorm counts too) territory capture/conquer the world map deal. Can anyone name other games with this gimmick?

Can we all agree TBS requires more strategy than RTS, which invariably devolve into clickspam2win?

Company of Heroes 1 + expansions I guess, avoid CoH2 tho, it's generally hated.
There's also Steel Division: Normandy 44, vid related, that's somewhat similar - it's about controlling map territory, but it's more of a RTT than RTS game.

RTS only (((you))) have played.

Tzar was actually popular enough back in the days, now if we talk about crap like Dark Colony, Seven Kingdoms 1 or Tridonis…

I still play Tzar with a friend online. Well, a few times a year but still.

I still have a boxed copy of this game. I remember being to young to play it lol

Which one, Tridonis?
Did they even sell it outside of ex-soviet block countries?

(checked)
MY NIGGER
Remove alien, remove alien

Yep, Tridonis. Honestly I have no idea, I'm Polish. I remember that the box art intrigued me so I asked my dad to get the game for me. I don't even know if the game was any good, I might just try it again for fun

Shieeeeeeet
Fuck ayyylamos, they are worse than bosniaks and albanians.
Deport all of them back to Jupiter, Mars will belong to humanity as it's rightful clay!

Eh, it's passable, outside of issues with getting campaign to work if you have single disc cheap re-release. Also you have to lower game speed in options cause by default it runs at uncapped gameticks per second.

I'll keep that in mind thanks

Some gaymplay + full soundtrack, quite low volume upload but it's the only one I could find.

Ahh this is cool. I remember it looking a little bit better, but that's my memory playing tricks on me.

nah, well established and liked. SK even got a second shitty sequel
Council Wars was shit

now this is a game I didn't remember. thanks.

I only ever got 1 friend to play this and he quit very soon after. My friends were always into something else.

pic related. polish RTS, probably only released in Poland

Couldn't you do just that with Ivan + dogs?

And the backlog keeps on growing.

Titanium Wars is a middle ground between vanilla and UA as well.

feels bad man

Which do you prefer, 2 or 3?
I prefer 3, although its significantly less balanced

Is there a reason to play WB2 and then 3?

I don't think I've ever seen the full image of this, just the face crop. I didn't even know there was more to it until now.

Supposedly WBC 2 has a slightly better campaign and is more balanced, Howeever it doesn't have as many damage types nor as many teams
It might not have as many classes as well

Hmmm, I'll check both of them out. I think I remember playing the second one and I liked it very much.

So I am debating on making this thread on /vg/ once it reaches bump limit considering it keeps getting burried under a mountain of shit and Mark has frankly lost the plot purging posts for no reason.

The guys who developed it now work at Rockstar

It physically hurts to know we'll never have good-looking 2D strategy games ever again.

good one

Isn't Mark thinking about banning general threads like this anyway?

No

Anons asked in a meta thread a while back for them to be banned which if Mark did would be suicide for this board so expect it to happen soon :^)

I'd have no problem with it. The less I have to come to Holla Forums the better.

what is this fucking bunker meme?
first time I saw it was in an Insurgency Source gamenight thread.

NOTHING MEANS NOTHING!

Please stop with this ebin mene, you are just making his PTSD sickness worse.

His punishment must be more severe fun fact he had to abandon Paraguay to flee back to Argentina to escape the wrath of Kane

Northgard is out, a small norse themed version of settlers I think.

Look, I respect RTS games, but I absolutely suck at them. What happened? Did the guy with stealth tanks forget pillboxes can see hidden units and wasted 3 of them?

No

That's pretty obvious

inb4 Nightcrawler teams up with Hitler in order to defeat Kane so he can escape his punishment

No he wasted 6 of them and and went through the most defended part of a base rather than attack from EVERY REAL VIABLE DIRECTION and fucked up bad.

It wasn't a Burger, it was an Argie.

To be fair the other player was building mobile flak and medics and was a Burger. It was like watching two retards having a slap fight.

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

It's still an American though

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Uhlan!

He drove stealth tanks he had behind the enemy base through it and into the front and into the pillboxes that were there.

Only now I realized Brian Pern's The day of the triffids was parodying this

hardest RTS ever made Armored Moon, coming through

now it makes a little more sense as to why it's meme worthy

is it any good? look comfy

AOE3 is really good

Funny way to spell Dark Reign 1

Lel, that's how I play fighting games and it works pretty well for me. There is always the right thing to do, and the stupid risky thing to do. People wont see the stupid thing coming.

how about more blatant StarCraft rip-offs?

sorry, bro. You really gotta play it to believe how motherfucking HARD it is. It's a bit like War Wind so that every map is essentially a puzzle, where you have to absolutely perfectly utilize your resources and units in the right way or get exterminated.
I found it excrutiating when I was a kid and after running it recently… I either haven't gotten any better at RTS or it's really that hard.

It's pretty meh actually
The destruction physics are still top tier though

Play the Lost Souls xpac for Earth 2150. Then you can talk.

wew, fuck

Aoe3 has the greatest tactics in RTS with the strategic options available from the shipment system and the greatest micro game out with it's mechanics, strategies, and unit counter system.

I bet pro FGC players like DSP and LTG really hate your ass.

pleb opinion incoming

even AoEO is better, IMO.

I'm really happy that Project Celeste exists. I've been waiting for private servers for that game for ages and only recently got it installed

well, did you play Armored Moon, my dude?

Aesthetic as fuck game and a real contender right up until they stripped ranked of gear and stopped financially supporting it
[Spoiler]And it wasn't even out of beta[/spoiler]

You have to go back

Gotten

Also the mod who denied my ban appeal

whats up with all the hate? You always in such a bad mood?

I know, I know. As mentioned, pleb opinion. Grind, mmo features, cartoony graphics all should make ha hate it but I enjoyed it since the beta. Still, the gameplay is pretty solid in missions/multiplayer. Robot was Ensemble after all.

I'm not in a bad mood now, but I am often. And that's not hate, that's just me shitting on DSP and LowTi3rGod, two salty ass streamers who suck at videogames (dsp plays almost everything and sucks while I've only seen LTG stream street fighter). Whenever they lose, they claim that the opposing player is either some sort of cheap scrub or hasn't earned his victory because "he played wrong".
Polite sage for off-topic posting.

need more OC

Truth

Project Celeste SJW mods banned me from their disagreement for hate speech. All the work that project celeste has done will be for nothing once the new AoE games are released. Fuck them

banned me from their disagreement for hatespeech*

wtf so disagreement gets turned into disagreement. weird

dicsord is filtered

yeah, the filter's been on for a while now. Sorry to hear that about the devs. I hope they don't jew out and fucking release the server code. unless I missed something

In all honesty that's a lot of meme forcing for a dumb mistake that was funny for the first few days at most. Even the fuckup itself was not that spectacular. Is Holla Forums that starved for something C&C related to meme about?

t. Nightcrawler

Reminder the same user was responsible for the filled debacle.

Dunno. Just came out today.

It doesn't have game speed settings, pretty sure it'll be shit.

I don't think it was to make fun of you but really more of the match it self tbh

Okay so stick with me and I'll try to explain the game mechanics.
It plays a bit like settlers like I said I think. You begin a game with 5 villagers and one area. The map is divided up into different "segments" or camps, if you've played Spellforce 3 you know what I mean. You tame the next area by buying it with food and you expand out that way. You can only build so many buildings in one place however. The weather also comes into it Banished style, meaning you have about 9 minutes or so to collect food and wood for winter and when it sets upon you, you'll face reduced effectiveness in combat and your villagers won't be able to forage.
Combat is pretty simple, you get a villager and make them into a warrior and along with a hero you go protect your lands. The graphics are a bit simple however.
It's not bad however, I'll play a bit longer and see if it's any good. Also you need to balance expansion with your food income, to make sure you always have enough to support your people.

Naa, I got other stuff to get through and this isn't really grabbing me.

someone did, apparently

store.steampowered.com/app/303860/Machines_At_War_3/
store.steampowered.com/app/318650/SunAge_Battle_for_Elysium/
store.steampowered.com/app/647960/Rusted_Warfare__RTS/
store.steampowered.com/app/370070/Wyrmsun/
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850614737

I have no idea if those are any good

the only ones that look good are Rusted Warfare and Machines AT War 3

I played Battle for Elysium years ago and found it horrible
Absolutely horrible balance, shitty voice acting and a boring campaign
had a nice anti piracy measure though

Machines at War 3 and SunAge might be worth to take a look. I don't really like the graphical style of Rusted Warfare looks way too simplistic for me.
So much for a (((FOSS))) project.

Ayo were da torrents at?

actually I just tried Rusted Warfare and it's a poor mans total annihilation

literally why the fuck does every single fucking mod based around C&C be either Tib wars or trash?

I don't think there are torrents for most of these games but I was able to find them on various abandonware sites. Here ya go:

Armageddon:
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/armageddon--for-the-crimson-glory-korean-starcraft-clone/

Armored Moon:
archive.org/details/msdos_Armored_Moon_-_The_Next_Eden_1998

Extreme Tactics:
archive.org/details/Extreme_Tactics_1997_Piranha_US

WotW:
theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/jeff-waynes-the-war-of-the-worlds/

Exterminacja:
I actually foud out it had a western release, under a completely different name and LOWERED DIFFICULTY wtf
Polish iso:
ag.ru/games/mission-humanity/nfo
English version (rip, not iso):
old-games.com/download/9040/mission-humanity

Also, I think that when the RTS genre will be 100% dead, I'll still have like quite a few undiscovered gems to try.There are still korean titles which were not uploaded anywhere.

chomikuj.pl/racjonalizator/GRY/Exterminacja *5bPL*5d/Exterminacja *5bPL*5d,1559318568.iso(archive)
sorry this is the link

and it's exactly how it and Machines at War look like. Is it better than Planetery Annihilation?

This browser shit tries to emulate the TA look as well:
striketactics.net/

Many people, including true RTS patricians seem to have had a lapse of judgement when it came out and played the EA trach this includes myself, and although I'm not 100% fond of this game, I find it to be okay

literally anything is better then planetery annihilation

Tib war wasn't a bad game but what annoys me about it is how it's over shadowed every other Tiberium game

Ok, now take a look at this crap

RedSun RTS, a Red Alert 2 clone made by ruskies for phones, ported to Windoes. The studio is even called Digital Trash

I guess with the influx of indieshit and phone game ports one really needs to be careful with even this genre

Thanks m8!

I already pirated it and the lack of speed settings is atrocious, the only gripe I have with earlier Settlers games as well. Often I'll just be waiting for resources to flow in, since I've done all I can in my segments.

Pretty good, iirc they made some other games that were good too.
Literal phone game. That said, it had amazing control scheme and was one of the few games I actually could play without getting fuckangry. Dunno what it's now.

Pre-rendered graphics will always be superior because they encapsulate higher fidelty graphics with the ingenuity of making shit easier to run on the consumer side of things. Are there any tutorials for making sprite-based games with prerendered shit?

Yeah rendering pixels is quite cheap, but it comes at the cost that loading tons of sprites is not as efficient as loading models. For example Total Annihilation which uses 3D models and has at least 150-250 (depends on addons) units to build loads quite fast on modern machine, compared to Factorio it always takes it's time to load the sprites and even more so since the devs included a hi-res version too. Though Totala is also optimized for toasters so the comparison might not be fair. With the graphic fidelity I can agree with it, since when done right they look good most of the times. Compared to older 3D games the graphic fidelity is not as good. One of the problems might be also that some developers wants to have realistic textures and not stylized which is probably the cause for the "dated look"

For Blender I found this: imovethings.blogspot.de/2016/02/spiter-render-kit-for-blender-3d.html which deals with multi angle crap that is needed for character animation and other stuff, I am not too well versed in Blender if its possible without any plugins. For simple building + animation and vehicle sprites, no additional plugin is needed. For buildings you can just pick a angle and render the animation. For vehicles it is similar you just need to render the rotations and render the chassis and the turret separately and its done.

For the sprites assembly so that it can be used by a game engine it depends on which one you are going to use. So you probably need a tool to make sprite sheets, the free version of texture packer or GIMP should be sufficient, I am not sure if GIMP comes with a sprite sheet plugin if not you need to find one.

>>>/vg/26519
New thread since dubs :^)
>>14457764