Atlus and remakes

With the latest Radiant Historia and Strange Journey remakes being messes, is anyone dreading when they decide to remake something like Nocturne and EO3?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20170707173251/https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey-redux-3ds
nintendo.com/games/detail/shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey-redux-3ds
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have to ask. How badly did they fuck up Radiant Historia and Strange Journey.

isn't it still in production? The only thing that's fucked up so far is the character art assets afaik.

They screwed up the best ending and ruined it with jewy DLC from what I've heard

Well, for starters, new less detailed, changed artwork, and the original artwork paywalled as DLC, at least with the Radiant Historia one. What I don't get is, what is the point of remaking games that were considered fine in their original format, AND are playable on the same system as the remake as is? Besides more shekels, I mean.

Its been out in moonland for a while.

I've had my best Atlus experiences on portables. I wonder if they have completely separate teams to publish/develop portable and home console games.

I'm not 100% certain on this but from what I heard they reduced the money drop rate in the RH remake so that they can sell you the money DLC.

You do know they just did the translation for those, right? That the majority of shit Atlus' american branch puts out isn't actually made by Atlus? For example, this is a NIS game.

they also shat up the character art so that you have to buy DLC to fix it

It's like they're copying Bamco there (selling gald DLC packs with Tales), but with Tales gald rates have never felt low enough that I'd want to buy those, leaving them more for the absolutely lazy (same with level up DLC). Costumes and attachments are where Bamco fucks you over instead.

Does Bamco lock significant content (like story stuff) behind a paywall similar to Atlus? If not then I think Atlus is more worse in comparison.

Not usually with Tales since they started getting DLC happy (and I've heard for various other games, like Digimon, bonus missions have been free here); usually if feels like they've chopped a number costumes and attachments out post-Vesperia, compared to how many ingame unlockables Abyss and Vesperia offered (and to its credit, while the PS3 version of Vesperia had even more DLC than the 360 original, it also added more ingame unlockables alongside those). With Zestiria though, there's an entire content chapter that's DLC. It was originally free here to celebrate the series anniversary, I think, but later got ten bux paywalled for latecomers.

Oh yeah I heard about the controversy behind Zestiria DLC, if I remember correctly it was about some female party member that fucks off during the story after a while. The Japanese fanbase even took notice and made fun of the game for that.

Yeah, basically early on, it seemed Alicia (drill hair and spear) was going to be the female lead with Sorey as the male one, but she gets replaced with some other girl, Rose (red hair and daggers). Supposedly the former NTS direction, Hideo Baba, had a thing for her seiyuu, and it felt like Alicia being replaced with his waifu, or something.
Not sure they made fun of it, but I remember them one star bombing the game on Amazon after finding that out.

The point is though, that Bamco is also bad about DLC, and with TK have been one of the companies pushing it hard (Not that that excuses Atlus). Thankfully with PS3 CFW, you can just download DLC packs for games on that system off the net and install them for free via package manager.

Is the RH remake actually worse after than the original after getting the DLC? I was about to try it, having skipped RH back in the DS days. DLC isn't an issue for me, yar har fiddle de dee.

Fuck me

The Japanese reaction to Zestiria reminds me of how EO fans bombed Amazon with one star reviews for EO2U because of it's disgusting amount of DLC, it prompted Atlus to have EOV's DLC be much more sensible in comparison. I'm glad piracy is a thing for both PS3 and 3DS so that you can easily bypass anti-consumer practices that plagues their games.

They ruined the golden ending of the original by shoving in the Nemesia plotline and no DLC can fix that. The DS original had everything neatly wrapped up which is why I'm baffled as to why they needed to add in the unnecessary plot.

I've been waiting for this Catherine remake for Vita (so i could get to play the versus online too) but I wonder if they plan on fucking us with some DLC bullshit

I thought Atlus published those. But yeah, I know those are Sting games. Wish other companies tried more non-traditional game mechanics.

Only in america, the developer themselves did the publishing in Japan. Shame they've haven't really done anything in a few years though, far as i can tell.

Atlus started a direct Japanese publishing role for Sting in 2009, I think, but prior to that Sting self-published natively in Japan, at least for some of their library.

Prettyy sure they were trying for the next Dept. Heaven to be an MMO format entry, but either it's fallen through or is stuck in development hell. I do know that they've developed those Dungeon Travelers games for Aquaplus in the meantime.

how is strange journey a mess? and dont say its a mess just because of the new route and the slightly worse cover art cause if thats all thats nothing

The new girl in strange journey is your daughter from the future who you kill and then let the Schwarszvelt destroy everything.

FUCKING TRANSLATE THE SUMMON NIGHT GAMES YOU FUCKING CUNTS

you have to kill your daughter or nuke the schwarszvelt

Atlus publishes games they didn’t make all the time, just look at Demon’s Souls.

Or anything by the classier and more competent artisans at Vanillaware.

Is there a .3ds of Radiant Historia that includes the DLC + undub so I can play it in Citra? Don't really want to charge my 3DS. Should I just play the original?

citra can't run DLC

I read that if you unpack the rom and manually put the dlc files in and rebuild it you can. Might've been bullshit.

I recommend you stick with the original, the extra timeline fucks with the game's narrative.

To be fair, both games were out of print, and I'm not sure how viable doing new prints of DS software is at this point, as in if Nintendo would even allow them to do it.

Last set of reprints that I'm aware of were in the latter half of 2016, when VGC or whatever that canuck vendor is got some in for the likes of Trauma Center, Front Mission DS, Infinite Space, etc. Beyond that, Radiant Historia DS already got a reprint years ago (for NA anyhow) when demand was seen to be sufficiently high enough. It averages about $20 complete where I live. Other Atlus DS games haven't been as lucky, especially ones where Atlus merely published them, rather than both developing and publishing (Izuna 1 and 2 and Endless Frontier, for example).

Pretty sure they don't have a say anymore since Bamco whores the series out to Gaijinworks to translate botch instead. Though, I'm not sure just how binding such a thing is. I mean, Falcom seemed like they used to have one with XSEED for a number of years, but were all too happy to give Tokyo Xanadu to Aksys and Ys VIII to NISA. Maybe Atlus could wrest Summon Night back, but that would require they actually be interested in bringing further entries west, and post-Twin Age, they don't seem to have been (and even then, the only games in the series they'd ever brought over were the spinoffs). Another spinoff, Summon Night X, got a fan translation patch recently.

And in Japan? That's going to be what decides it for a Japanese developer.

The guy who runs Gaijinitjustworks probably has right of first refusal for them, since that is a thing they try to push for when getting obscure series like this.

True. I honestly don't know what the status is in Japan, or if they're even prone to reprints beyond "Playstation the BEST" Greatest Hits types.

Nu-Atlus is a mistake.

Atlus USA is so incompetent that the included the full script translation of Legend of Legacy in the demo. It's already been injected into the nip and is playable in full english bar some map names a month before official english rleease.

I guess that explains Sega's recent fuck up of giving the full game out instead of the demo for Yakuza 6

Meant Alliance Alive. Legend of Legacy is the prior game that team made.

The thing about Dept. Heaven you need to understand is that it's not a series in a traditional sense like Final Fantasy. And it's not just about how there's numbers missing here and there.
Dept Heaven numbers are about when they had the idea for the game, the game's inception so to speak.
They also try to make each game more innovative than the last (whether this has good results and achieved their goal is up for subjectivity). This is why the two other Union games aren't considered part of Dept. Heaven.
First came Riviera, then came Yggdra Union. Both of these ideas were sound, made the transition from idea to game and were published.
Then came another game, an MMO but this failed before it started
Then came Knights in the Nightmare
Then you have about 5(?) other failed games before Gungnir.

Nice way for them to ruin a game, they did the exact same thing with SMT4. Nevermind when the fucking DLC isn't available for purchase when the 3DS servers are shut down.

Would you happen to know where to find it? The usual places I look in don't have it and I'm going to assume that freeshop doesn't have the fan patched version.

I got it off 3DSiso.

What did they mean by this?

Before: web.archive.org/web/20170707173251/https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey-redux-3ds

Current: nintendo.com/games/detail/shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey-redux-3ds

To never trust or support an "of America/Europe" branch of a company.

I wouldn't mind a PC+PS4+Switch port based on the Raidou version with added cute female Demi-fiend and maybe another bonus dungeon if it wasn't treated like a full price game. Nocturne doesn't really need any art asset upgrades.

Hell they could make the bonus dungeon dirt cheap and not end-game only if they shamelessly copied the ancient cave from Lufia 2. That's something more game should copy. Hell if they wanted to be even cheaper the bonus boss at the end could be the Maken and its hosts, reusing models from Maken Shao.

Don't be silly. If they were to give Nocturne a remake/enhanced port it would definitely feature Masayuki Doi's art. They won't reuse the assets. Even if the end result is worse than the original.

They'll ruin the game somehow to sell extra DLC, Atlus can't fucking stop themselves at this point.

You're not going to see that. Flight Works, the company behind SN, almost entirely disbanded. They restructured into Felistella while Bamco kept the rest of the staff that didn't quit under lock & key. Japan, to my knowledge, did not give SN6 any good reviews. And no, Gaijinworks isn't letting go of the publishing license anytime soon, despite their jew practices and cancerous translations.

Why are so many foreign branches of companies so shit anyway? Or is it just endemic to companies as a whole becoming shitty?

Wait, what’s happening to the SJ remake? I was kinda excited for that?

They will fuck it up at this point, best to leave those games be. Look what happened to the Strange Journey remake for example.

The Atlus new girl Alex is your (and Lucifer's) daughter from the future, traveling back in time to kill you. It's as retarded as it sounds.

Yeesh, that does sound stupid…

Partially that to be sure, but there's also the fact that foreignization companies are literally leeches of the industry that by their very nature contribute nothing meaningful. They do not create games, and are instead populated by the sort of worthless dregs of society who are unable to hold real jobs. Their bitter self-loathing as a result of this is something they try to mask with delusions of varying degrees, which is why so many also tend to be SJWs. It's also convenient for them because then they can convince themselves that the actually creative people are "problematic" and they're contributing by "fixing" their "problems."

I just wish there was a clear solution. Making would-be foreign workers and translators move to the local Japan branch to be supervised and prevent kikery sounds like one idea, but you might still have a situation where the faggots act as language-barrier gatekeepers simply because they speak jap and you don't and have proximity to the actually important people. Mighty No 9 had that happen (far from its only flaw).

The only solution is to just get Japan to stop even considering the West when making games while the Western industry needs to just completely die off long and hard enough at least for the creatures that populate it to either die on the streets homeless and impoverished, or to move on to another industry.