The new Yume Nikki thing

so, this was mentioned a while ago, theres a new 3D game "based on" Yume nikki.
Its some sort of platform/puzzle/ collecting shit, not exploreation based like the original.

[Insert Slowpoke image here]

Has anyone ripped her model and screenshoted the pantsu yet?

Nope.

Looked at some gameplay, and shit, what the hell were they thinking. If I wanted a 2d Jump'n'Run, I would buy one.

They only needed to make the game exploration and they couldn't even get that right.

I've been playing it on and off, it's alright once you get over the fact it's not Yume Nikki HD
it's a little too much focused on horror
a lot of the sequences are scripted, you can die and restart an area which can get grating pretty fast.
areas recreated from the original yume nikki are tonally different from new ones made
collectable concept art is pretty neat

I WAS SO BUSY PLAYING OTHER GAMES I FORGOT THAT THIS EXISTED!

It looks like it has Life is Strange's UI what the fuck? Also this shit looks like a forgetable 3D platformer, i mean goddamn they spent all that pretty lightning for nothing the lightning looks abit too bright by the way

I guess the worst thing this game did is that it added GAMEPLAY to a walking simulator.

Fascinating. It was exactly what ruined it.

>Toriko
FUCK I MEANT TORININGEN
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Toriko was good until author was caught with child prostitutes.

I only now took notice. Fuck. That's the greatest flaw right there.

no gameplay>bad gameplay

I don't want to shit on this game as a lot of effort was put into it, but the new art style doesn't work. Part of what made the original good was it's abstraction and ambiguity. Since there was a lack of detail in the original game, you actively tried to make sense of everything you've seen.

:^)

It's like a slap to the face of every Yume Nikki fan.
The whole game is more like a game that's making references to Yume Nikki by using places and inserting certain easter eggs at certain points to create a recognition factor. The terrible thing about these references is that they are entirely leaving out the best parts.
Remember for example that part where you could transform into a witch and fly around from a roof?
The same location exists in this game, but theres only the flying witch music, nothing else.
It's just so pathetic how hard they tried to copy alot of places and worlds and then completly failed to implement what made them good. Every path and place you go to is a stupid hallway with dumb riddles and instadeath traps. And worst of all, all these paths lead you to some item or place that you need to go to in order to progress.
What I loved about Yume Nikki was that sometimes I would spend alot of time exploring a very long path, requiring me to use all kind of effects to get there, only to end up in a complete dead end which didn't give me any real reward or progress.
And this lack of purpose for these kind of areas made me appreciate them for what they are, cozy little pockets that you could observe and try to interact with. It was overall a very appropiate thing for a game that takes place in a dreamworld.
This new game takes away all the magic of the dreamworld we know.
It also accomplishes that by being terribly dark and edgy. Like I said, theres tons of things trying to kill you and all the areas are really grim and dark in the literal sense. Having a depressing atmosphere is one thing, but making every area so dark that I can't even see where I'm going or what I can interact with is just terrible.
This is completly different from the dreamworld we know from the original. Yeah sure, there were some doors that lead to worlds with lots of darkness, but what about the worlds and places that were filled with colours and something that resembled a tranquil peace.
The only good thing I can mention about this game is the ending. The first time I played the original it broke my heart, and I had to wait 10 years to see Madotsuki have a happy ending

The Ao Oni rip-off mini-game was unironically the only good part about the new game.

I never played the original Yume Nikki, nor the new version that was just made.
Should I give it a shot?
What makes the game so charming that it appears to have captured the hearts of most if not all anons here?

It was a surreal and non-linear walking sim that required you to explore and collect items in a dream world. The novel thing about it was that it brought communities together to discuss it's lore and themes. People didn't mind the lack of gameplay because it was apolitical and the first of it's kind.

It was a walking sim, but one of the few good ones - no handholding, no heavy-handed storytelling with some politpropaganda. Just a big, labyrinthine world with lots of weird symbolism and a seriously ominous background vibe to explore.

Kinda like a (good) vidya creepypasta made real.

Pixel Mado a best.

Guess who?

Honestly I'm more angry that they turned Monoko into a generic Run From The Spooky Chasing Monster event.

Also, this seems like a weird choice to create new sprites instead of using the ones that already exist.

I am upset. this should an easy thing to translate into 3d, and yet they fucked everything hard.

all they had to do was add spoopy /interesting exploration+with more mouselook.

Part of me wonders if this is due to Kadokawa wanting something that was more structured, but I haven't heard how involved they were in development.

Have they?

FOUR EFFECTS
O
U
R

E
F
F
E
C
T
S

Yea it's not Yume Nikki at all

holly shit!

Streaman dat nu-Yume Nikki, get the FR*CK in here, lads.

There's hardly even any Nasu in it; it's pretty much just oranges.

Is it really that bad though? You could argue that if you wanted to play an exploration dream simulator you could just play Yume Nikki, so I don't think that them doing something different with it is necessarily bad as it's still a side thing that you could just as well treat as a high-budget fangame.

I'm sure the child prostitute part was actually before he made Toriko. That's why they cancelled Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi. Toriko was the revival after that incident, even though he did a small shorter series called Ring before that. It seems he has only done a bunch of one-shots since 2017 and hasn't had a new series yet.

It's a perfect encapsulation of how hard the remake misses the point.

truly we live in the worst timeline

Guys please, kill me. I've been working on a sort of fan game for two years because of YN and now its been tainted

No matter how hard the jews may try, they can never take away the experience you've made with the original. You should cherish these memories and be happy that the original exists.
Don't let them take away the bright flame of your creative spirit over this.
Fight on.

For real? I mean there were quite a few useless ones in the original (aside from being the keys to the ending but many of them were at least cute to see or had stealth benefits attached.

Also how in the christ hasn't this image been posted yet it's too appropriate for this.

Is it even worth it at this point man?
The legacy's been tainted and now we'll have to put up with game theory levels of bullshit, probably going to have fan games invaded, edgy art, and pretentious people with heads so far up their ass they're on the second wrap around.
Those people are going to fuck the community beyond recognition, flood with bad art, 'fan games', and more than likely too many crossovers with X games while pretending they've been on board since the original finished. I don't want to give these people my game, but if I ever finish I know thats what'll happen.

Ever play that 3D Yume Nikki fan game? It's boring.
This also would have been boring.

I don't think that's gonna happen

yeah, im sure a janky shitpile mimicking Oddworld/Limbo including contrived stealth sections, hacky chase sequences, and an aesthetically desaturated take are so much beneficial addons.
get the fuck out if here with that bullshit.

The new gameplay is abyssal how can you defend it

Also try to defend the fact that they cut 24 effects down to 4

It's a shitty game but lets be honest here half of the 24 effects are useless.

That's still 3 times more than in Dream Diarrhea and it gives you incentive to EXPLORE

Does it really matter?
Are you really going to let complete strangers take something away from you just because they like it too?
That's a weak cowardly thing to do.
Love the things you love because you think they are beautiful and not because it makes you part of some cool niche subculture.

What could be more worth it than the divine spark of creation? Create because you want to create regardless of who will enjoy it. Even if you are the only person to ever play your game, put all your heart and soul into it to make it the vision you want to create.
The pictures you post are great examples of what need to be done. They are a piece of someones soul, an expression of their emotions. What could be more beautiful than that?

Those useless effects game it a lot more charm.

YN has gameplay, ending and fail states, it's a game

Didn’t it confirm the Rape theory as canon? I hear it far less subtle about sexual symbolism than the original yume nikki.

It would be harder to push degeneracy if they kept the sexual symbolism too subtle.

ignore flag

A population that can appreciate that instead of vapid parasites.

Its not the rape theory i am concerned about. Yume Nikki is pretty much japanese Alice in Wonderland in that regard.
I am more concerned about the transgender Nikki theory.

Dubs of simple truth.

I watched some gameplay and this is an accurate summary of what I saw. An absolute joke of a game and quite a lot worse than what I expected.

good gameplay >> muh atmosphere > bad gameplay

dream diary's gameplay isn't good though, it all feels halfbaked

I have a mouth and I must scream.

That was a giant red flag right there. I hope none of you actually paid for it.

I can never trust them after what they did to Kemono Friends.

Nailed it. I'm paranoid about anything I make becoming some youtuber's flavor of the week game.
I'm putting in a good chunk of my free time into learning shit for this, to the point I'm reading college psychology text books just to make it a good representation of a fucked up mind. Last thing I was is some shitters coming around making edgy art of the main character and scraping the surface with 'Oh she/he dead' and 'Twas rape!' theories.

Its gonna happen man.

Pirated it. Honestly I don't hate it. I mean, there's no need for it, the original works just fine to this day and this "remake" doesn't add anything to it. But on its own it's quite neat. I like surreal things and this thing delivers. It's what Little Nightmares wishes it could be.
Ultimately, it's one of the many games that actually shoots itself in the foot branding itself as a remake.

Hardly seems like Yume Nikki, more like they just mashed a bunch of indie darling trash together.

Listen, I'm not even a Yume Nikki fan. I just never really got into it.

But this shit just pisses me off

Isn't it, at best, mediocre?

I liked some of the music pieces, if you can even call it music. It's more like ambiance. In any case, I'm severely disappointed that her eyes remain open whether she's in the dream world or the real world. Also no panty shots possible. Poor game and a poor remake.

What the fuck is this?

Such a bare bones attempt to cash in on nostalgia, shame there was so much they couldve done better and actually added onto the world

I can see why some of the fangame devs have gone nuts. You could always do what Zenmaigahara did and lock the game down. He got pissed at the western fanbase after people stole sprites from him, so he went full "whitu piggu go homu" and the next patch had a password that required you to know the story of momotaro. Hardly the hardest puzzle to crack, but throw in a series of "how many genders are there" and "who did nothing wrong" questions before booting the game and you'd probably filter a lot of chaff. Having to do anything like this really removes yourself from being purely expressive, which sucks too. It wouldn't just be want you want the game to be, but what you have to do to keep it as close as you can.

The remake either has no music or just drums bashing or water pipe slow down x10 times, there was none of that mesmerizing electronics in the original.

Is the Famicom area in the game in any capacity?

Exactly this
Just another example of a "sequel" not understanding its source material.

Torrent link?

truly, nothing is safe from it. collapse when?

At least they’ll never touch the good fangames.

Oh, they turned Yume Nikki into an indie platformer. Th-thanks.

Indie platformer is just some sections of it. But they did add too much gameplay, ironically enough.