Edition edition

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Links
>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/
>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR MAY 5TH
Polite reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can (even if it's just your game page)

Other urls found in this thread:

masm32.com/
openwatcom.org/
reddit.com/r/getdisciplined/comments/1q96b5/i_just_dont_care_about_myself/cdah4af/
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.control(v=vs.110).aspx
hastebin.com/bocefeyega.cs
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/keywords/sizeof
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=6720B9E18D807E2D46C42D2C061C3527
godotengine.org/article/maintenance-release-godot-3-0-1
slideshare.net/CassEveritt/approaching-zero-driver-overhead
youtube.com/watch?v=K70QbvzB6II
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1314398492
on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2013/presentations/S3032-Advanced-Scenegraph-Rendering-Pipeline.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc
blogs.unity3d.com/2017/08/02/unity-2017-1-feature-spotlight-playable-api/
godotengine.org/article/abandoning-gles3-vulkan-and-gles2
docs.godotengine.org/en/3.0/getting_started/scripting/gdscript/gdscript_basics.html
neilblevins.com/cg_education/photobooth_mirror_sketch/photobooth_mirror_sketch.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

More like nice digits edition.

Noic, I get to post this before I go to sleep

make a video game where you're a train that has to make tracks infront of you otherwise you derail and die

it sounds like this

Sounds kinda like this.

I used Diablo music, the extended theme for Tristram. But I see a resemblence, not sure if MediEvil composers were inspired by Uelmen, tho.

kirby is shaped like a friend

it came out afterwards so it's possible

Is Borland C still good to use on a 486? I just dug out my old IBM Thinkpad from high school, and thought it might be fun to start relearning x86 assembly. It's been quite a long time, but I am fairly certain I did everything using Borland C's editor. I also think I used "Turbo Assembler" or something for the code I optimized in assembly.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be nice.

Fixed the speed problem with my Text Adventure.
Before I was passing the entire parser and tagging model to the parsing function as arguments, now I'm just passing a pointer to those models. That gave me more than a 600 fold increase in speed. Here's an example.

Software doesn't go bad, so I don't see why not. I can however suggest this assembly IDE: masm32.com/ , although you need windows 2000 to use it. Alternatively openwatcom.org/ comes with an assembler and a lot of useful tools and can probably target and run on whatever OS you have very well too.

:^)

>I can however suggest this assembly IDE: masm32.com/ , although you need windows 2000 to use it. Alternatively openwatcom.org/ comes with an assembler and a lot of useful tools and can probably target and run on whatever OS you have very well too.
It's running DOS 6.22. I need to procure the IDE as I can't find any of my old disks.

Open Watcom can be downloaded online for free and has all of it's tools compiled for windows, DOS, and linux, so you might want to give it a try.

Dubs dictate I try this.

Working with the unity animator is a fucking torture.
I need to perfectly time my movement with my animations, and while the old system does work, it's clear that I need something that works better.

HOWEVER
There doesn't seem to be any way to effectively identify specific animations. Animator Info Clip sometimes refuses to display the name of the animation played.
Animator State Info only gives me IDs, which basically means that I still have to write 30 String To Hash to identify those IDs by hand.

This really pisses me off. There's not even a way to find out if the current state is contained in a sub state machine.

What the fuck should I do? I have literally no choice but to have a {get} and use a series of IF statements to then see what animation my character is in

Mostly venting here but if someone has any idea how to check animations better I'd love to hear it

Why not like, store a Dictionary where T is either a string or animation object, then you can look up its ID and pass it that way?

Mostly because I'd still have to tell it which animations correspond to which states.

I was hoping for something slightly faster, like, looking if the animation cointained X word, and if it did, assign it to this state.
Having to manually check IDs means that I need to write out a bunch of stringtohash like so

m_LocomotionStop = Animator.StringToHash ("Base Layer.Locomotion Stop");

So that I have something to compare it to.

And also because I'm honestly not that good with dictionaries

Inverted lists will be your new best friend.

Can't find anything about inverted lists, you mean inverted index?

Why do I always do this shit? I start out with a strong resolve, study hard for like a week, and then just drop my project for so long that I have to effectively reintroduce myself to the fundamentals of programming just so I can get to a point where I can understand what the fuck I was trying to do in the first place.

Maybe I just can't, like, make game

you need to make it a habit, even if you're only doing it for one hour a day, just make it so that it's your default thing to do

no more zero days
reddit.com/r/getdisciplined/comments/1q96b5/i_just_dont_care_about_myself/cdah4af/

I spent an hour and a half staring at eclipse and did absolutely nothing.
I just could not figure out how I wanted to set up the hashmap for various block properties, ideally I want to iterate through a single hashmap to establish the properties of every block, like drop type (block/item), id dropped, quantity returned, physics (true/false), etc
but the gears just aint turning when I look at what I have, I would need various data types assigned to each key, key being the id of the block to configure, and the value being a map of those data types and I don't know if I can use multiple data types within a single map or if I want to have a single class to handle the entirety of the hashmap or split it up for individual properties
My brain has just completely checked out of the hotel

test your different methods you figured out on a smaller scale to see what works for it

He's trying to help…

He and you should also stop posting. Reddit and redditors have no place on this site.

b-but /agdg/ is a warm, welcoming place.

There is a difference between being warm and welcoming and being a refuge for cancer. Go and post on /r/gamedev if you want that, instead of spreading out onto 8ch.

Yep, same thing. I work on an IBM mainframe programming in Natural with ADABAS dbms and the Germans call it "inverted lists".

TurboPascal might be fun to try.

Already did Pascal way back in college. Quick historical trivia on TurboPascal: one of the main guys that made that also made Delphi (aka Object Pascal). He went on to be the main guy behind C#.

Are you developing on windows or linux?

Linux.

windows, but only temporally and not by choice, seriously, i pity the fucks that have to set their environment in windows

argl garbl

Neat

Sounds like that part in Wallace & Gromit actually. A game equivalent would be Pipe Dream.

That's how you learn bro, can't get good without being bad first.

wasn't 2.1.5 supposed to resolve this?

Hey kids, it's me again with anime grills and tanks!

I've not posted anything for a while, so it's high time to post a little update on this.

I've been working on getting various weathertypes and time of day presets that can all be switched on or off with a simple dropdown.

This whole thing is getting to the point where i'm getting happy to share some more things, and i've been taking a few sceenshots that i'll be posting up here and there, and see what people think.

Here's a little animation showing a bit of the weather shit i've been fucking around with.

Tell me what you faggots think!

They changed every function, every quirk I used with the previous engine, different types of data don't interact as easily like: you can't add an integer to a boolean. but maybe its because I used 2.1.4

That looks like a pretty and computationally effective visual style.

That looks really nice,what engine?

shit nigger what the fuck are you doing

That's a good thing, user. You don't want that kind of habit forming up in you.

Looks really cohesive, kudos.

Yeah you have to cast it and then you can use it in actual languages.

yeh, shit runs pretty goddamn smooth, im legitimately considring trying to bring it over to the Switch, the only expensive thing right now is the grass, because of alpha overdraw, but there's still a lot of room for optimisation there.

UE4

Thanks man, if there's one thing i learnt over the years, it's that consistency in style beats ACTUAL style, it's what makes some old games age well, and some old games just look like trash.

It might just be me being blind,but it looks like you're going a tad heavy on the cel shading.

how do you feel about the next VC

Wouldn't overdraw only affect semi-transparent pixels? Is it an AA thing? Or is the grass blade a texture full of alpha? One soluton is for each blade to be a triangular polygon, and shade it solid/gradient. Another idea is for the grass to be a pixel shader.

I have an idea for a tank game but since you already have one being developed, you probably know if it's realistic or not. What if instead of controlling all the tank's system simultaneously, you are placed as the tank commander and have to type or speak your orders into a mic. Each member of the tank would need orders individually. It would be a lot like Brad Pitt's role in Fury and would be a lot different then most games because it is entirely based on tactics instead of twitch reflexes.

yell at your computer: the game

any transparent pixel, weather it's 100% invisible or only 99% invisible has a cost, one bit transparency (cutout) is obviously cheaper, but if you stack a whole bunch of planed with 100% translucent pixels behind eachother you're still calculating each pixel's alpha, on top of every plane that in front/behind it.

cautiously hopeful

yea that particular image is a bit all crunched into a single color, it doesn't look nearly as unintelligable in motion. i guess the snow needs a bit of tweaking still.

Those tanks functional?

Can you post some examples?

It seems entirely doable, provided you have some good UI in mind already for how you would be issuing commands. Your biggest hangup will probably be AI.
How accurately would you be modeling external and terminal ballistics?

depends on what you mean with functional i guess?

Can you actually use/drive and shoot them,or are they just part of the environment

I can't imagine this being fun unless it'd be a multiplayer game where each individual crew member is a player. This wouldn't have to be a pvp game though.

If you're going to make someone type, make sure you have some form of tab completion, even if it's basic.

it's a strategy game of sorts, so you do control them, but you don't physically 'drive them around' so to speak.

Oh my bad,i misunderstood.

Almost there. I've been distracting myself from making a shadoof model for too long

there will be more variety to the tombstones later, I hope

I will likely change the skybox, this messes with the water

You gonna put some in jokes or references on the tombstones? or leave em blank

The last hours of a jam are always so stressful, send me your luck

I'm sending you good vibrations via the web.

Neat idea, but I can't put the inscriptions as normal maps or textures as the tombstones are a bit too small on-screen. Maybe I should make them interactable in some way, so that a sign appears or a recording plays.

and the most productive. Crunch is real. Godspeed

Maybe has some ghostly text pop up if you interact with em,dunno how hard of an effect that'd be though,to have text rise up.

I pity the fucks that can't afford Visual Studio. I actually do think it's the best IDE, and after you install Xamarin there really isn't a better cross-platform compiler out there.

I strongly doubt that supports any of the modern C/C++ standards, or the wealth of platforms that GCC does.

Worry about other things but amusing grave flavour test is always welcome.

nice environment user.

No, actually VC++ supports basically all of C++14, and most of C++17. Additionally it supports some amazingly good tools like the Core Language Checker as well as the Clang extras. The top three compilers are roughly on par now and generally all stay ahead of the C++ standards release cycle thanks to the TS model the Committee moved to a few years ago. It gives all the compiler vendors plenty of advance to experiment with the upcoming standard and be close to ready the moment it's sealed.

No, the unquestionably goes to GCC. VS does have the world's best debugger however, and with the Core Language checker is now arguably the single best IDE to develop portable C++ code on.

I should have typed IDE not compiler, sorry. As far as compilers go said it best. Personally I only do cross-platform programming in C# (hence why I mentioned Xamarin).

I can't afford IDA Pro, but I suspect it is at least equal to if not better…

No, it's literally the best debugger in the world. Years ago the joke probably rightly so heh was that MicroSoft's debugger needed to be the best. And the partnership they had with NVidia for a while developing the Parallel Nsight system really zoomed them ahead in a class by themselves. That was years ago now and the Visual C++ team has never lost their edge in this area.

I'll make the additional point that GCC/Clang are far more available than Visual Studio so at the very least the codebase should work across compilers, at least if you intend the code to be open source.

GDB sucks, no argument there.

its bad indeed, was pretty fucking mess when I tried last time, specially the auto-importing feature for assets
gonna stick with 2 for a while, if not forever, only real useful thing I would need is the better documentation

and besides, they've changed a lot of core stuff as well, like configs, error logging,
things you would need to relearn, but there isn't any guide to it, so its basically trial and error

True, and good point; Clang is great for LLVM.

Nah most of cross-platform stuffs are still just little personal projects testing the waters in the mobile / tablet arena.

I hate Indians. They're everything about programming, smells, and broken English that I'm going to avoid for the rest of my life and only a tiny amount of them have internet access. Can we get a head start on banning pajeets?

I need some help with DECORATE/ZScript.
I'm trying to make a weapon that reflects projectiles similar to TF2's Pyro airblast, my first attempt was to set A_SetReflective() on 6 frames of animation when the weapon fired. This worked perfectly, the projectile was sent back 180º, but the player loses HP since the projectile still hits him. My solution for this was to make the player invulnerable for the same 6 frames, but this is really easy to abuse since you'd be invincible from all angles.
My second solution was to spawn an invisible projectile with 0 speed in front of the player that has -NOBLOCKMAP +ZDOOMTRANS +SOLID and A_SetReflective() for 6 frames until it disappears, it also works, but this too has its problems: the projectile blocks the player path when spawned, and if the player is moving too fast he won't be able to properly reflect stuff.
I tried to add speed to the projectile, but then it doesn't reflects projectiles anymore, it destroys them.
So what should I do? I thought I could try to make a 0 speed projectile that follows the player exactly in front of him, but I don't know if this would work at all. I could also try to reprogram the collisions in Zscript, but I don't know how to even start with that shit.
Any ideas or mods that have some kind of weapon that works similarly?

have you tried turning it on and off again?

if you're on a 486 you'll be missing out with borland C, which is mostly good for 16-bit code.
Use DJGPP with rhide if you want that borland vibe. Personally I'd use microemacs.
Turbo Assembler is garbage and has gay syntax, the nasm or gnu as is better and comes with djgpp.

y e s

Yeah, it's what I used as a teenager before I gave this to my grandma to use to write a book when I went to college. I know I have the discs somewhere in a box probably in mom's attic. I will add DJGPP + rhide to the list along with openwatcom. Many thanks, anons!

well i got something like events working
still need them to actually return who/what the collider was though, visual scripting was a mistake

I like the look of the town. Most medieval games now have way too many empty buildings that serve no purpose other than to trick retards into thinking it's not a small, empty town.

Is it some kind of a homing projectile or how would a reflected projectile still hit the player?

HoMM3 has a nice visual progression as you build up the towns

Give each projectile an owner flag. Unless you're using shit like grenades, this should work just fine for like 99% of all projectiles.

When the reflection script happens, change the owner to the person who it was supposed to hit, and give it a reversed velocity, and it should work just fine, right?

Normal projectile.
I think it's because of the way it was programmed in Hexen/Heretic, the reflect flag works this way (I think, I'm not 100% certain of this):

I'll try it out

Yeah, I ran into a similar typing issue when I wanted to flip a boolean with the xor operator. Doesn't work, you have to cast your booleans to an int to do it. For a dynamically-typed language Godot is really annoying about that kinda shit.

But again, now that I think about it, even if I do fix the damage problem, players would still be able to reflect projectiles from all angles, and I don't think this would be a good mechanic…maybe.

Even C# is kinda fucky about bitwise operations, too. Mostly, this seems to stem from it implementing the .NET specification (eg "int" is a .NET keyword, Int32 (the C# equivalent) is not actually necessary).

Anyways, even if I add bytes or do XOR or whatever operations, it always yields an int, because that's what it's defined to do. Unfortunately.

You're supposed to be treating ints and bools as almost the same thing, strongly typed languages are pretty cancerous about not letting you do that.

windows has the nicest compilers as long as you stay away from the ones made by nu-Microsoft

I would like GCC more if it wasn't so huge- it's not some kind of self contained compiler, it comes with this giant implied unix toolchain and environment that just amounts to a ton of bloat on my computer. Basically the same reason that I don't like MSVC either.

That's probably the one thing I wish I could do in C#. A statement like "if (someVal) { … }" and have it "evaluate" it by default, eg 0 or null or false returns false, but any other value is considered valid and continues on

Question
May 5th you'll have vidya to try?

Doing the hands properly is always so hard, good thing im not a feet guy or it would also have to be super detailed

I just call them "degenerates"

if you use that word for them what do you call furries and people who like NTR?

That just the model? or are textures included,because that looks pretty 70s space suit-ish

Pretty sure the colored regions are just different mesh groups for distortion

aww,it looked really nice,should save those colors for a suit design down the line.

This isn't a debate. I'm going to find out where you live.

Come on, Fred, we told you that posting reddit links here is frownded upon

cracks me up every time

Reference to make sure im following the topology correctly, got these from the shinobu bro

I was about to say that the torso was too small but your pic at confirms you know it. I'm assuming the proportions you're using are intentional.

Nearly done with this dude. Gotta fix some texture errors and pose him.

I think it's rather that he's following the proportions of which happens to be a loli model.

Looking good, the armor and wings must have taken a huge amount of time. Is this going to be the model you use in-game, or are you going to make a low poly version as well?

it's already extremely low poly

Some uh,interesting color choices?

its supposed to be a teenager with hips you only see in anime, the boobs are big now because i will use shape keys to shrink them and make a boob slider, also the bouncy physics have to be tested on the bigger size first

Wings took a lot longer. Had to place the majority by hand for the high poly. Armor wasn't too bad. I don't exactly have a poly limit and I'm not sure what a good range is, but the current model is about 37k faces. I'm gonna be using it as a replica tabletop model for WH40k.

Love the colors.

heh. I cut my teeth on the Borland C++ 3.0 floppies, and dos game programming websites from the early 2000s.
Kinda unusual, but if you're on a windows PC its easier to learn DOS programming than learn Unix and GNU tools.
I've read somewhere openwatcom is better than gcc for 386/486, but don't have a source.

So since SFML taught me how to use vertex buffers and shit, making a UI doesn't seem that scary any more. Since I don't know shit about UI libraries (other than winforms), and I don't want to use it or WPF, I thought I'd make my own since it's not as scary as I thought.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.control(v=vs.110).aspx

But look at all that fucking bloat. I don't even know what a minimal functionality needs to be considered "good". I'm keeping the rendering completely separate right now and just focusing on the input logic. I guess event driven might be easiest to work with, then I wouldn't need a million dependent classes with slightly different functionality, but then, it feels more natural to break it up into interfaces like pic related. I don't know

There has to be tons of UI libraries out there. Just the other day I stumbled upon an actionscript 3 one (flash's programming language) for mobile apps.

yay object fields

very friendly npcs you got there.

How does your visual scripting work? Do you abuse coroutines?

added Steam Workshop support in today's Hellbreaker update

you start at the start node (in this case 0) and then immediately execute everything next, once you're at the end you stop, repeate on the next fixed update
the exception is stuff like Wait,Dialogue,MoveTo since they can't happen instantly. They return no next nodes until they're finished
if someone enters the ai's radius, the start node is temporarily treated as the event node (unless there isn't one), and is treated as such until the new tree finishes all it's scripts

Does said update also include the fix on readability for pickups and enemies you mentioned in your release thread?

Will there ever be a brightness option?

visibility, yeah.

Urho3D (the game engine) doesn't have an option for brightness AFAIK.

The only way I can think of is hacks like modifying the ambient light, which also decreases possible darkness.

Brightness settings are considerably simpler than that, you literally add a the same user-defined value to each of the output pixels and clamp the result.

What's the general opinion on Sculptris? I just tried using it to make a normal map and it seems pretty good and extremely easy to use, though it doesn't have that many almost none of the options of Zbrush. Is there some shit down the line that becomes evident after long usage?

wouldn't that just result coloring things white without increasing contrast?

I wanted to make a thread asking this but noticed that all the people who know about game development are in this ITT anyways so thought I'd ask here; what are the prospects of video games getting some kind of dynamic soil modelling anytime in the near future?

I started working with DEM recently, modelling dam failures and was thinking "you know what, you could make some video games out of this".

That's generally what brightness is, up until a few years ago games usually had separate brightness and contrast settings.

which is the best engine for a 2D fighting game?

It's why brightness and contrast are separate settings.

Thoughts on UE4?

PROGRESS
I found the time to fix some of my code so builds at least can be used to test things when necessary, also with the option to change resolution now I can do my UI so it supports from 640x490 to 4096x2160.

I found the font I wanna use, so far it hasn't been obnoxious to read like so other ultra-fancy medieval fonts are. I found a really cool font for the title name but I think I will copy it and color in my own way and use it as the logo.

The last thing I added now is a functioning inventory system. The player has limited slots for items, I will add a dimensional bag (unlimited slots) that reduces the weight of everything inside of it to 1/3, but at cost of having to open the bag (which will take a few seconds) and remove the items from it if you want to use them, so the player has to be conscious of what he wants on his equipment slots. I don't want to make a pause mechanic so getting caught with your pants down is not a question of opening the inventory and drinking 100 potions. Weight will make things cost more stamina, make you move slower and make falls do more damage. Containers can have limited slots or not, but weight has no effect on them.

Yes, brightness settings are just making the image more white or black. Contrast is a separate setting you could also give.
Brightness:
C = Clamp(C + brightness)

Contrast:
factor = (259 * (contrast + 255)) / (255 * (259 - contrast));
C = Clamp(factor * (C - 128) + 128)

I think they also might give different results based on which of the two you do first, so experiment with that if you choose to implement it.
Modern casualised games tend to just give one slider that changes both along some curves, but there's no reason to not give your user full control if you don't assume them to be mouthbreathing retards.

better than unity in every way other than performance

Uhhh….Good?

What the fuck are you smoking?

This question comes up a lot, so I don't know if it's just you asking it repeatedly. There's no real consensus for something like this, since none are specifically aimed at fightan. You'll have to make the mechanics yourself.
As for options, you have GMS, which you can try for prototyping if you don't know whether you want to actually make vidya, but it's shit and buggy, coming from someone who used it since GM5.

You can look into Monogame, Unity (though it's 2D is bloated), Godot (which is certainly a work in progress but is getting there) and Love2D (which is very barebones, but that's part of it's appeal).

Chinks.

Some bools are truer than others

Would be acceptable if it require paying Tencent if your game made enough shekels.

There really isn't one, a custom solution is probably best given the very specific requirements fighting games have. Something based around GGPO/RetroArch-like rollback netplay is probably ideal.

A bool is literally the same as an int in memory and checking if something is true or false is done by checking if something is zero or nonzero. In general the boolean type is pretty wasteful to use at all, so it's only useful when you don't have multiple flags to pack into one int and want to convey in your code that it is a single bool.

Strong typing just creates this artificial idea of types like bool as fundamentally different things instead of just suggestions about how the integer is supposed to be interpreted. Seriously stop programming in whatever trash language that doesn't let you freely use data like that.

Also, 2D fightan is the one genre where tying everything to the framerate is acceptable.

Alright, so I didn't make a Control/UI class yet, since I wanted to do the parenting stuff first. Then I realized I could just abstract it into an interface with a node-based approach. The only drawback I can find is that if you use a query function (eg GetRoot or even getting the Parent), it will return the base INode type, instead of your implemented type (eg if you made a ControlClassNode) so you'll have to cast things, maybe. Other than that I think it's nice and simple for what it is.

hastebin.com/bocefeyega.cs

lmao

How?

No, not really.

None of your post explains how this retard wanting to add to a bool with an int is anything but idiotic.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that the compiler will pad it to either 8 or 32 bits. But still, as long as the object itself takes up a reasonable amount of space (eg you have a dozen bools, rather than just one) it won't waste that much space.

But this is a micro optimization at best, since you're trying to out-optimize the compiler, and trying to save bits when you have several hundred megabytes of memory before it becomes an issue.

You mean:

i'm using docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/keywords/sizeof as a reference, don't blame me if i'm retarded

Yeah pretty much, brightness moves the ramp from dark to bright up or down, while contrast shifts the ramp to show more difference in dark and bright colours.

Booleans are not a single bit, in reality.
This whole conversation is meaningless though, as these things are not just language dependent, but implementation-dependent and what you can do with bools and ints is as well. In VisualC++ sizeof(bool) is 4 bytes, just like sizeof(int). In VisualC# sizeof(bool) is 1 byte instead. But another C++ implementation might return 1, or whatever it feels like. The C++ standard explicitly defines that sizes of these variables are up to the implementation.

Is there directional based armor values?

I just said int, never said how long the int was. Do you think that int automatically means 4 bytes or something? Not talking about any specific language, just an integer.

The compiler could try packing the bools, but it's not something you can take for granted. It's not like changing your programming style to use bitwise ops to pack your booleans instead of using a boolean type takes more effort.

Just a waste of memory, compilers are only sometimes able to optimize it.

And yes it does, I've already explained that ints and bools are the same exact thing, just numbers. Although if you really need a programming example to lay it out for you , lets say he has an array of objects and wants to count how many objects in his array have attribute X, he can just have an int to store the result and add the bools to his int, since true is really just 1, it should work without any problems. Like so:
//with strong typingint x_count = 0;for(int i = 0; i < num_objects;i++){if(object[i]->isx){x_count++;}}//without strong typingint x_count = 0;for(int i = 0;i < num_objects;i++){x_count += object[i]->isx;}

And so, I have saved an if statement, not a big deal but it is certainly an improvement over before.

Just trying to say that people get taught them because they're easy to understand, but in general they stop being as useful once you get a grip on bitwise operations

C# makes it easy with its static Convert.ToBoolean(bool) function :^)

that is bad technique. someone could set isx to any number they wanted. if it were a boolean it is one or the other.

You're not understanding. isx is still a boolean, but you can easily interpret its bits as if it were an integer.

Sure, it would be better to say isx == true if you aren't sure, sox_count += isx == true;

That's more like it.

man, I forgot about this but you can also dox_count += !!isx; which is a lot clearer and less typing

hmm

Spintires has mud, From Dust has dynamic erosion.

Also, mixing ints and booleans without casting is BAD PRAXIS. That's the true reason you don't do that crap.

A lot of unique (and fun) games are made out of autistically modelling a particular thing and making a game out of it. See games like Wetrix, for example

are there any example of 1MA game made last year that was a success?

Opinion discarded.

Maybe If I want to pad my code with whitespace, I can do that myself instead of filling it with useless lines?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

I'm at the level of skill now where GameMaker's limitations are becoming very apparent and I know I need to move on or get stuck stagnating in their sandbox forever. Does Godot look like it'll have staying power, or is it just a fad at the moment because it's gotten a big release recently? Unreal is tempting despite its flaws, since many of the big fish are using it.

I wish more games followed this logic rather than "dude what if I combined a popular game with another popular game." I'm a hypocrite, but still.

I found an article that might be relevant to you, Screen-Space Grass by David Pangerl.
is also a dicult and complex thing to render realistically due to its abundance. (See, for example, Figure 1.1.)
ground and background grass in screen space. This technique was developed for
the games Agricultural Simulator 2013 and Industry Giant 3.
It's in the book GPU Pro 5 which you can download here: gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=6720B9E18D807E2D46C42D2C061C3527

I use unity so obvious I'll suggest moving to GODOT

what are the technical limitations of libgdx vs other engines?

It makes you shit on the street

It's a good practice, because sometimes you might get a client that pays you per line of code.

What's with pajeets and their undying love for java, anyway? It's not even easier to use than C#.

I'd argue that Java is worse than C#, because despite how similar they are, Microsoft has generally made a bretty good improvement to the language over time, and has a pretty good compiler.

It's written in Java. But pretty much every modern engine for indie developers except Unreal tries to force you into some shitty managed language, so they aren't much better. I can't say that it looks any better or worse than Godot or Unity, but I would think that Unity and Unreal are more capable engines.

I would switch to allman style and pad my shit if I was getting paid to write code, but my games are only written for myself.

Pajeets literally only care about the job market, if you can meme C# to them as the new future of the job market they will switch to that.

All mediocre programmers, pajeets included, only care about industry trends. Java is popular because massive corporations have a gigantic boner for it. It's simple enough for any retard to use, meaning their pool of programmers to choose from is really large and individuals are easy to replace. It's compatible with almost everything, so you don't have to worry about rewriting code. It's already super popular, which goes back to reason 1. And most mega-corps aren't interested in performance, so the main downside of java is basically non-existant.

I wonder if we can convince indians that swallowing handfuls of this is the fastest way to get a job

Or just when you want your code to be readable.

wasted quads tbh

>play Mario 64 DS
Might make that my project on the side, but I don't wanna lose track.

Use wanting to make a 3D platformer your motivation for working hard on your current project. Don't try to juggle two projects

Anyone who pays per line of code instead of some other metric is a fucking idiot.

literally quit sucking that dicks and twerk on that project of (you)'re's tbh

Godot 3.0.1 is out.
godotengine.org/article/maintenance-release-godot-3-0-1

So, it's nothing

Here's some advice from Henry Miller, adapted from books to games.

don't be a nigger

I might be a nigger

Fellow enginefags, mind explaining your render call sorting system? How do you manage your renderables? I only have as much as a plan right now
However many implementations ive come across dont bother with this at all and just arbitrarily throw everything at the GPU. Are state changes not as expensive as i thought?
Also, if you have a PBR + IBL pipeline, how do you fall back if any of the textures are missing? How does IBL work in the real world, do you just always use the global skybox or somehow subsegment a scene into areas where specific cubemaps are used?
Third question, how do you manage point lights, do you just cap a scene at 4-6 assuming you dont use deferred rendering, or do you somehow only pass the closest n lights to a given models shader by using a broad-phase like sweep?

This is honestly how modern architecture expects it to be. There's no point in cleverly marking regions to be redrawn, etc. Instead, you want to clear the screen, draw everything, and then present it to the device every frame, as many times per second as possible (usually 60 or more)

State changes are cheap. They are just instructions on how to transform the geometry. Likewise, computing the points is generally cheap. The slow part is the bandwidth cost of moving stuff to/from/around the gpu. That's why batching exists.

Godot has a patreon that ensures Juan and one other guy are working on it full time. I'd say it's a safe bet that it'll keep being updated for years.

It depends, pic related
Thats exactty what state changes are, setting uniform variables for example.
That is what i was asking about

t-thanks

Is posible to make flash animation that is not crap?

Never underestimate the power of shaders.

Yes but it's a lot of work and the whole point of flash is to simplify animations by tweening static objects.

Flash is a web development animation software. You can animate with it the same as any other, and many modern cartoons are. I'm assuming you're complaining about excessive tweens to try to avoid work, but don't know what they are or why they usually look bad.

I only just now realized that you can tell your animator to not follow though with the next animation if it's being interrupted by another one

fuck

>mfw remembering that the most overrated furry ""animator"" Jasonafex can never create his own "art", only use shitty tweens and make things jiggle, while being a massive cunt to everyone, but is somehow still popular

not to give credit to some furfag but animating is just as much work as drawing when it comes to digital media

While I agree in theory, his "work", isn't.

Finished hair and fixed non-spherical eyeball rotations with flattened spheres. I'm at 179 bones in the rig so far. Most of them are used for animating.

seven years no improvement, love this meme

one hand, he's generally shit, on the other he's taking the money of other retarded furfags. things even out if you look at it from a more cause and effect point of view

That's true I guess

I have a Vulkan pipeline that renders the world, and then I have a Vulkan pipline with the Z buffer off that renders the HUD. Pretty simple stuff right now. The world is an array of VBO's because it has no culling right now. I don't have any more features yet, it already took a stupid amount of code to do all that in Vulkan.

How possible is it to make a 3d engine from scratch that uses lua? It's what I work with and it bypasses a lot of things I despise about other languages.
What would I even need to make it work? I'm hopeless when it comes to 3d, no idea where to even begin.

if his "work" becomes massively successful then you can bet other faggots will copy his "methods" and thus there'll be an over saturation of trash these furfags will have to suck up or get outs which should cause even more of a stigma on furfags which I'm all for tbh

Probably using a Lua binding against OpenGL, if one exists. Also Lua is SLOW, you'll want to use LuaJIT as well.

Get your hands on some SDL/OpenGL bindings and make a simple program that spins a model around maybe to dip your feet in it.

3D graphics actually isn't that hard to get started with, because OpenGL does a lot of work so you can get into it a little easier.

Probably will be kind of slow but you can just write the important parts in C later or have potato graphics which is easier for your first engine.

Don't use Lua to write a game engine, it's too slow. You write the core of your engine in another language, like c, and then extend it's functionality using Lua.

Shit work and shit art are still work and art, user. I looked him up, and it's obvious why he's popular. His art has a clean, stylish aesthetic, and very smooth, close to natural movement, despite being tweened. Those two ingredients alone are all you need to be funded by the autistic porn market.

Are you saying he doesn't draw the images himself?

No he doesn't. He gets his girlfriend Kabier to draw the art, or else piggyback off of a popular artist and (doesn't always) ask to animate their work

Good luck user
Do you perform any sorting at all, by materials for example? Do you have different shaders for different objects in the world? Do you have some sort of scene graph?

No.

I'm still a nodev but I think the trend for high performance rendering is toward ubershaders with multi draw indirect.

Ubershaders can contain the code for multiple material types so you don't have to switch shaders between materials, and branching is basically free on modern GPUs as long as every instance in a warp (every batch of 32 or 64 vertices/pixels etc) branches the same way. In other words, as long as you aren't switching material types on a per-vertex basis, you should only pay the ubershader cost between objects (more on that in a sec) when you traditionally would have had to change shaders and uniforms anyway.

Multi draw indirect lets you submit a bunch of draw calls with one API call. You basically fill in an array of structures that each represents a draw call, and submit that instead. And instead of manually setting shader uniforms for each call, you fill up a buffer with those parameters and use a draw ID to find the right parameters within the vertex shader. This ties in nicely with ubershaders of course because you can use it to render multiple objects of differing material without changing state. You can even handle multiple vertex formats (!) if you are clever about it.

Even for cards that don't support MDI (it's standard in OpenGL 4.3) there are hacks you can do with instancing to get a similar effect, without multi draw, but still saving the cost of changing shaders and uniforms for each draw call. Moving in the other direction, MDI uses a standard structure layout and is stored in a GPU buffer, so really advanced engines can use compute shaders to generate their own draw calls on the GPU, for example using the GPU to perform occlusion culling and generating the relevant draw calls without having to make a round trip to the CPU.

The last challenge is textures. NVIDIA GPUs support bindless textures (no texture slots, just texture pointers basically) so no need to change texture state with this approach. AMD GPUs don't though, iirc they have 32 texture slots, so either you pay the texture binding cost or you find a way to pack all of your textures into texture arrays (which requires each texture in the array to be the same size), and if you're going to that effort why bother having a separate path for NVIDIA GPUs?

If you do all of this stuff right, you can basically render your entire game with one API call. This talk goes into more detail:
slideshare.net/CassEveritt/approaching-zero-driver-overhead
youtube.com/watch?v=K70QbvzB6II
tl;dr Vulkan autism was kinda pointless because you could have gotten most of the benefits of Vulkan with existing OpenGL APIs, and here's how.

Thank you for your elaborate post user, this sounds very promising. I’ll watch the GDC talk. Are you working on an engine or a renderer?

No, I have one shader that doesn't do much and no scene graph, and no sorting. Sorry if its a little disappointing, I am working on implementing a BSP-PVS rendering algorithm and so this is how I plan on arranging my VBOs. It won't draw the ones that are culled, etc. Then I plan to work on transitioning from the idea of textures to the idea of materials. I don't know very much about shaders, my previous experience with this is writing stuff for fixed-function OpenGL.

Kind of reminds me how according to this one talk that was given by id software in about 1999, Quake 3 just gets rendered in one GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP.

Kind of lame if true, I don't actually know modern graphics programming so I just picked it up so that I could get into the cutting edge of graphics and it is the most cutting-edge API that I can use on my computer (not going to install windows 10 for D3D12)

Man these fucking cop outs in the talk are annoying
They act like the audience wouldnt be able to just try it out and see for themselves.

From what im taking away from it, it sounds like the hardware support isnt as consistent as it would have to be to be a viable strategy for a project of my scope. Sounds like you have about 4 different special scenarios depending on Nvidia/AMD, Intel/AMD and even Nvidia Pascal or older Nvidia. Then again maybe you just chose one way of doing it and roll with it, leaving out the bindless textures so AMD is supported.

I wouldnt recommend Vulkan for any agdg scoped project to be honest, its much more convoluted than OpenGL, harder to use, and OpenGL is generally faster unless you leverage the special Vulkan features which is unlikely.

Not disappointed, im just surprised, but then again it doesnt take that long to implement batching/sorting even after the fact.

I hope they support blender groups, of all the exporters that i've tried no one takes into account groups and in the process break my scenes, despite being the optimal way of producing game assets and maps

sorry I am already too far in, any way I kind of picked it up to learn Vulkan so I am doing pretty good at that, I didn't expect to be able to get any advantages out of it going into the project any ways

That's how the actual model is. I didn't design him.

are romhacks allowed in here

Yes.

What about flash games ported to mobile?

If its a game and you played a non-trivial part in making it what it is then it's allowed.

I want to get back in to making basic 2D games (NES style, not "indie" retro, but proper NES, with the restricted colour palette and 4 channel MIDI sound).
So, Godot or Game Maker 2?
I'm familiar with Game Maker 1 but the price for entry on 2 is a put-off and its reviews aren't solid so I'm thinking of learning Godot.
Is it suitably advanced? Version 2 or 3?

Go for Godot.

Oh, good. That means I can start posting here, right?

Yeah, it's also /vm/ for video game mods, too, even though it doesn't say it in the title explicitly.

No prob, I'm happy if I can help motivated devs make use of something.
I would like to do a serious engine but nodev autism
If I have anything to present by the next demo day it will be cobbled together garbage, and that's a big if.

That's pretty neat.
I don't know too much about Vulkan but I think there are still advantages in the explicit control it gives you over synchronization and buffer management, and in the long run the driver support will probably be better than OpenGL, but yeah for anything below AAA engine dev tier I'm pretty sure you can get about as good results OpenGL with this kind of design with much less autism involved. It would make sense that if you interact with the driver as little as possible then it doesn't really matter which API you use.
To be fair though OpenGL has its own autism from being an ancient API with literal decades of shit piled onto it, and it is not at all trivial learning the "right way" (of which there are many depending on who you ask) to use it. Going straight to Vulkan might have saved you the time in the long run, you never know.
The cutting edge stuff is in the shaders, the API you use doesn't really matter. The only feature in D3D12/Vulkan that actually enables new techniques that I know of is asynchronous compute shaders, which let you run compute jobs on the GPU in the background (whereas in OpenGL/D3D11 they are treated like any other draw call and are synchronized and ordered with them).

I think it's because they are bound by NDAs or otherwise don't want to cause internal political problems over what is supposed to be a positive productive talk for all vendors.
Assuming you went with texture arrays for all platforms, I think most of the work would be up front and you wouldn't need wildly different code paths between vendors or even to support older pre-MDI cards.

2 or 3?
Any recommendations for good tutorials to start with?

As far as I understand it Godot 2D has been done for a while so you might as well get the latest version possible.

Also if you're starting completely fresh from programming the best place to start are replicating simple games, pong, mario, etc. Tutorials aren't very good to learn, since you mostly just end up copying what the tutorial does. I'd honestly just google and look at the docs and see if you can make it

So let's be honest. AGDG actually stands for Awfully Gay Dong Games.

Go straight for 3 since 2 is deprecated already. Godot's website has samples and tutorials.

show me ur gay dong

I'm familiar with programming, just wanted some tutorials that teach Godot basics and cover whatever scripting language it uses. I've made other games in Game Maker (not very polished, but they worked) with none of their drag and drop shit, just coding everything by hand in their scripting language.
When you say to go with Godot 2D do you mean version 2? says to go for 3.
What even are the differences?

No I meant go for 3.
Dunno I still think that starting a small project to teach yourself will always be more useful than straight up tutorials, but if you learn better with tutorials then go with that.

Embed related is the quake 3 talk if you want to watch it, it's very interesting.

My engine actually has two renderers and one of them targets fixed function OpenGL for my older laptops. That way I can target the most hardware possible, and older OpenGL is really simple and fun to write, I am still at the point in graphics programming where I have yet to actually use shaders seriously, mostly because I stayed programming in fixed-function GL for so long, but I am slowly learning it. I know a lot about graphics programming, just not shaders.

Thirding Godot 3. Great engine.

I'm waiting for the real time GI

Now animate this expression

RPGdev here, having a bit of a physics problem. Chances are I wont get help on this, being Uengine 1 and all, but could anyone take a look at the physics formula I am using on a Puppet pawn and see if anything looks amiss?

if ( Physics == PHYS_Walking ) { NewAccel = (normal(aForward*X + aStrafe*Y + aUp*Z) * GroundSpeed); if ( VSize(NewAccel) > 3072 ) {NewAccel = 3072 * Normal(NewAccel);} Acceleration = NewAccel; Velocity = Acceleration; } MoveSmooth(Velocity*DeltaTime);

That's very cute and i'm curious what it is.

shouldn't it be velocity+=acceleration?
unless i'm misunderstanding the names

Are you making a 2humon romhack?

I have no idea whats going on in this code. Have you tried the rubber duck debugging method? Try to explain as precisely as possible what's going on on every piece of your code. It will help you understand your own code better and possibly come to the solution, if not at least you could write that down and we could better help you.

From the filename, obviously it's Kagerou!

Dead on. I'm finishing the one I abandoned 8 years ago. Figure I might as well update the roster to include Clownpiece and also the other, less important newhous.

Surprised nobody told you about using Love2D with Love3D extension.

Godot 3 already has realtime global illumination, the big thing holding it back for me is the lack of occlusion culling.

while lights are rael time, it still needs baking for some stuff like emissive materials

minor editor update
all connections between nodes can be reordered, since i'm making stuff like the If node or the Dialogue node capable of getting objects from other nodes, depending on the connection index
to put it simply, the first node that If is connected to is it's condition, since it can't work without one. Every other connection is a node that then activates the If
and if for some reason you want to, you can reorder which of those connected nodes is the condition
Dialogue node is similar - first node that's an ObjectField is treated as the talker, if there is none there's an object field in the node window itself. Every other connected node is just another node that then activates the Dialogue
it looks hideous but it makes things more generic and thus a lot easier to implement
and the reorder part of the gui window is still a virtual function so depending on the node type i can still change what the labels say, like "condition node: " or "collision pawn: " or i+": " by default
also if you detach a window now, it actually gets resized correctly
tl dr: ease of life

First user made level!
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1314398492

Oh it's a 2hu?
how far along is your game?

v = a * t, not v = a.
d = v * t + (1/2) * a * (t^2), not d = v * t

How the fuck do i close this gap with 4 vertices faces? I always get this kind of gap on the hands

To be fair writing an engine is the absolute best way to never ever finish an actual game. Im mostly doing this for experience with OpenGL, preparing for a project at university next semester that will use OpenGL, as well as portfolio faggotry, possibly.

I found some good slides from GTC 2013 where they go further into implementation, but i cant find the talk as a video:
on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2013/presentations/S3032-Advanced-Scenegraph-Rendering-Pipeline.pdf

you're in a hard spot son

yeah i didn't want to use triangles, but i guess i will have to

Your loops are fucked.

There's only 1 triangle in that user's image.
Your problem is that you have 11 vertices, which doesn't allow for full quad subdivision. You could always add another vertex like so

yeah, i added a new vertice, got one 5 vertice face, should i make a triangle instead?

Do you guys think i should increase the boobs a bit? this is the old balloon tits vs the new tits, this is the maximum breast size, i will use this to make the boob size slider, thats why i think it might need to be bigger, specially when you compare to the old model

Bullshit. In general it is pretty retarded to use bitfields. Bitfields should only be used if you target microprocessors.
That is the point. A boolean is a 1-bit integer. Of course on most machines the smallest addressable memory cell is 8 bit so that is what your bool will actually be sized.
If you have an n-bit integer and want a k-bit integer you have to cast it. Nothing cancerous about that.

Is your code example supposed to be C++? Because C++ implicitly converts bools to integers afaik so the if is not necessary..

Keep them as they are. Big tits are fine. But when every chick has big titties, none of them do.

It's like, honestly, I woouldn't mind one or two women in fighting games having b/a cup tits to go along with there juicy Anavar fueled physiques.

I don't write any C++ and I wasn't trying to write an example for a specific language beyond the general C-style syntax. Bitfieilds should be used in most cases anyway because they are more expressive than booleans, as well as taking up less space. There are a lot of complicated expressions that are inconvenient to write using booleans but are much easier to write using bitwise operators

why?
They aren't. Boolean values are best expressed by actual booleans with true and false. Nothing is less expressive than having unnamed booleans which you have to access through bitwise ops.
Only matters if you target microprocessors.
Example?

Choosing which tile to use based on neighboring tiles, for one

???
Maybe if you would explain by what logic tiles depend on neighboring tiles I could understand what booleans/bitfields have to do with this.

Finally PBR and IBL works, fuck tangent space normals.

Any references for pixel art? Specifically, I'm looking for how to do different materials, eg brick, grass, mud, that sort of thing

so when does the attack go? witch i know sounds like a stupid line but you cant just move into your hit position right from your idle and then strait back to it. to have weight to it you need to do a wind up attack and a fallow threw. and to do that you need to go from idle to Wind up to hit to fallow threw and then back to idle. so the real question here is what ratio do should one use for attack animations

i know the quick draw weeb faggots like the idea of having a one frame attack animation with minimal wind up. for maximum sanic focusing on the fallow threw back to idle or fallowing thew with another 1 frame attack animation. Something left over from having children's cartoons animated at 6 frames a second. leaving animations with no seance of weight and swords that feel like they are made out of plastic. and don't give me the bullshit that they are just so strong that they can move a pice of iron that fucking fast.

good god, spell check your shit mayne
anyways, just check at which point in the animation you're capable of damaging the opponent
windup is before that, attack is after that, end is when you can no longer hurt your opponent with the weapon, it's not the same ratio for every animation
either split your animation into 3 animations or use a state machine behavior to check if the normalized time is between end of wind-up to end of attack

Aside from the resources that should be up on the wiki in the OP (I can re-dump them if they're broken again/still), just look at how games you like the look of do it. Take screenshots, zoom in, study techniques.

worried laughter.png
What exactly is your question? How to determine the part of the animation where damage is applied? Or how to make an animation that feels right when it comes to wind-up times and so on?

if you have blocking or hitting a wall animation you may want to also consider when that'll occur

coming back that if i want to be faithful to the source material (diablo 2) i'm going to basically have to just about rotoscope a basic attack animation and play it back at different speeds rather than go full animation autism.

you don't have to be 100% to the source at every moment

Rotoscoping something so simple sounds like animation autism to me. Not to mention you have that stiff Diablo 2 feel almost nailed down, just speed it up a little. Just do some trial and error.

Why not like this? Turn it into a double attack - or a two-part attack you can cancel after the first. You get a lemniscate shape in which momentum is preserved, especially with low-weight weapons.

like dis?

ok, thanks for the model, I'll test it out in-game. Don't go full animation autism because we still have to see if it fits. This is the current attack animation. Because the "hands" are separate, they can be animated separately. Before my codebro removed it, there was an additional randomized rotation to each swing, to add variety as well.

that's pretty cool, actually

There's a bit more wrist-swing in there normally, and the follow-through motion tends to be curvier. Consider looking up some HEMA videos fighting/training with maces.

Just needs an nnn-tss nnn-tss beat on it and it makes perfect WEBM material. Close, but there is something off. I think it looks kind of off when the attack is at its lowest point, the conservation of momentum from the downward swing is not instantly negated. It carries through in the curve, because you should have momentum like oekaki related (yellow is decelerating, green is slow)

tbh why swing into swing the draw back of the second swing is not going to do damage unless it also has up force with it and at that point it'd be a very slow attack. why not instead of swing swing, you have it swing thrust? it makes the most sense based off the moment of the first swing since by the end of it his weapon position is in a much better spot for thrust rather then needing to "wind up" again

Did you create that AI Behaviour stuff yourself, or did you use a asset? If so, what's the name for it?

myself

have a krita drawing explaining what I mean

Nevermind, I fixed this issue with latent functions. I have new code for anyone to look at if they want to. A couple of notes:

function ControlMove(float DeltaTime, float aForward, float aStrafe, float aUp, byte bUp, byte bDown, byte bLeft, byte bRight, bool bPressedJump, rotator DeltaRot) { local vector X,Y,Z; local rotator OldRotation; local bool bSaveJump; aForward *= 0.1; aStrafe *= 0.1; GetAxes(Rotation,X,Y,Z); if ( Physics == PHYS_Walking ) { if ( aForward > 0 || aStrafe > 0) { Destination = Location + (aForward*X + aStrafe*Y + aUp*Z); //log("1Dest:"@Destination); } else if (aForward == 0 && aStrafe == 0) { Destination = Location; //log("2Dest:"@Destination); } Velocity = vector(rotator(Destination-Location)); Acceleration = normal(Destination - Location) * AccelRate; } if ( bPressedJump ) {DoJump();} if ( Physics!=PHYS_Spider ) {Acceleration.Z = 0;} // Update rotation. OldRotation = Rotation; UpdateRotation(DeltaTime, 0); if ( bPressedJump ) { bSaveJump = true; bPressedJump = false; } else {bSaveJump = false;} bPressedJump = bSaveJump; }Begin: if (Physics != PHYS_Falling) SetPhysics(PHYS_Walking);Move: MoveTo(Destination,GroundSpeed);

Rigging folk, how do I prevent the forearm from pinching like that if I'm trying to supinate it?

I need some help implementing Voronoi Diagrams. Surely someone in here has done it before, right?

So let's say I generate 100 random points in a region. What is the use of the diagram? From all the reading I could do, it seems like it just creates a ton of fluff (edges, cells, intersection points) just so you can check whether an arbitrary point is nearest to a particular cell.

Wouldn't it be easier to just store the points in a BSP tree, and get the nearest one that way? What's the advantage of it?

Forgot my pic.

Voronoi diagram:
nearest node = diagram[x,y];

BSP:
Is my point in this half or that half?
Is it in this half of that half of said half?

Oh so it's that point.

There are two ways you can perform a "half swing" like that. First is to pull back on the swing after it gets going. This is what is literally meant by "pulling your punches" and basically means you won't be doing any damage with that swing. The second is to impact something. If you want to incorporate this into game design you are going to be changing how attacks work depending on if they hit the enemy (at minimum).

I'm trying to add the in-game debug console from the Godot3 AssetLib to my project. I pasted it into my project's addons folder. I haven't changed the directory structure at all otherwise. When I try and run the demo scene I get an error "Identifier not found: Console". I know this is probably something simple thing that I'm overlooking but I haven't gotten it to work. Any ideas? When I ctrl-click "Console" from the working assetlib project it takes me right to Console.gd.

just in time, won't feel as bad for asking stupid questions
What's the best program for 3D modeling?
Any good guides out there on how to do it and not be shit? I tried it years ago in 3DS Max and remember being ass at it.

blender is free and fast
maya works too, bulkier though

3dstudio max is a better maya t

it's literally the same thing
just use blender

you're literally the same thing

Nevermind. It was because I wasn't autoloading the scene.

Well I guess I'm asking a few different things

The most important one would be to find the nearest node, but I think that being able to track the edges and intersect points associated with that node are also important, so you can do things like generate a polygon or find perimeter length and area.

My problem with BSP trees is that I always conflate them to non-sparse quadtrees and I get really confused and don't know how to sort them out of implement them.

Try using two bones for the forearm and putting a rotation restraint on the upper part so it rotates less than the part near the hand.

while is true that you should try to avoid triangles I want to suggest you to stop being retarded and finish your game. don't stop your momentum just for an faggot triangle, momentum is more valuable than perfect topology specially when you already have good enough topology your game is one of the few I'm looking forward to

Delete Shit redo sober 1000 times better

dis better?

gibs audio file and ill make it beat to that

probably going to have a cast and attack animation for each "class" or weapon class mabie

like dark souls Halbreds? where you got a stagger animation if you missed the target? neat idea and probably somewhat implementable in different game that's not a diablo clone.

So, lets say that I have a variable uint8_t flags and 8 of the bits in flags are being used, as opposed to 8 booleans. The bit flags are being named using the preprocessor, like normal://declaring bit flags#define BOOL1 (1

the C# compiler lets you treat a set of enums as flags, which makes it a lot safer and clear what you're doing

fun with strongly typed languages. If you do this shit manually, you can run into a lot of trouble when your previously working bitshit doesn't work properly because you're compiling to a different system.

[FlagsAttribute] public enum PhoneService{ None = 0, LandLine = 1, Cell = 2, Fax = 4, Internet = 8, Other = 16} var household1 = PhoneService.LandLine | PhoneService.Cell | PhoneService.Internet; var household2 = PhoneService.None; var household3 = PhoneService.Cell | PhoneService.Internet; // Store the variables in an array for ease of access. PhoneService[] households = { household1, household2, household3 };

Sorry, I dont ever program C# so I really wouldn't know anything about it beyond that it's like Java

if((bool3 && bool5 && bool7) && !(bool1 || bool2 || bool4 || bool6 || bool8))
Oh wow. Such hard. Your example is not really convincing. If you actually write the if statement properly it is way more readable than your bitfield shit.
The boolean approach is extremely readable and even literal retards should be able to grasp within seconds what it does. Your bitwise ops mess may be shorter but definitely not as simple as using booleans.

C# is utter garbage. Especially enums. They are not safer not clearer than C.
You can for example cast any int to PhoneService.

should be self evident what I'm doing there if you're familiar with C(plusplus) it's not using any language specific feature other than noting that the enum should be treated as a series of flags. None || Cell || Other gives you 0 plus 2 plus 16, or 18, stored as a single enum type "PhoneService"; You're still dealing with ints all the way down, so you can use bit operations on them, but they're still conceptually booleans otherwise.
guess which key is fucking broken

opinion discarded

That's not true. Because of the nature of the CLI, your compiled code is guaranteed to work cross platform. Now what the JITter does to make that code work is another story, but that's something you absolutely do not have to worry about, unless you're using COM and interop stuff

Whoops, I was referring to cpp in that case. Ran into an issue where a library suddenly started shitting the bed a while back because I was targetting different hardware.

Also, there's bitfield twiddling hacks that let you use integer bitmasks and certain math tricks to avoid the && chains. Different optimizations exist and there are far, far too many, since it depends on what you're doing.

that is way more verbose and not as simple to write as bitwise operators. Maybe you have a hard time reading the operators because you don't remember what they do off the top of your head?

I don't write my code to make sure that literal retards can read it. I write it to get results.

wasn't responding to your second post, I honestly don't know the answer to that because it looks OK.

Terse code does not equal readable code. Also it seems like we have different definitions of simple.
Have you ever worked with multiple people on the same codebase?

It's kind of expected that when you work on a codebase, you understand how to read the language that it's written in. If you can't read that basic sample or easily understand it you are just retarded. I've already shown how it's more expressive and useful and now you're basically admitting that you literally cant even understand the language feature you are bashing

I didn't stop the entire thing for that, i was making adjustments to the legs and chests while i waited for tips, in the end i went with this
My brother told me today he decided to quit his job in april to be the main programmer on my our game fulltime, we are going to finish this game for sure now

Functionally finished. I'm adding extra content and nicer graphics.

I believe in you anonymous.

we've established that the user you're responding to is literally retired. I don't know why you keep responding.

As opposed to pretending to be retired yet still having a job?

First attempt at modeling something, how did I do? 144 tris, 72 faces, 74 verts.

nice acorn dude

Shit this was so easy

I can feel the faces

It's cute. Good first try.

I can feel those digits.

I dont have a shader for her skin so here's a ray trace of it. Also clothes is outdated.

Reminder that in a pinch, you can use VS as a web browser

Way ahead of you

I like the hair shader.

I tried some websites using the VS .NET 2003 browser and the VS 2017 browser once and they seemed to have the exact same problems. I don't know if the VS 2017 browser is actually different.

Breh do you have several hundred megabytes of cache

Maybe chiming in a little but, 49 mins in this talk the guy begins showing examples using the boolean type, really puts the kind of waste that it can generate in prespective.

youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc

We'd like to think that the compiler is capable of optimizing our booleans into packed ints with bitwise operators, and stop the waste, but compilers aren't/cant just do that.

Boolean checks are insignificant performance-wise. This debate is an academic curiosity, not to be taken too seriously by any dev.

Granted I use bitwise operators because the syntax is better, not because I think that it's a serious optimization but it is a real (if small) improvement to the code that is being compiled. I think that the talk I linked too more than proves the real implications of what it can mean.

godspeed user

Do not use mecanim animation manager

Figure out how the Playables API work and do your own animation manager, mecanim's is fucking awful

blogs.unity3d.com/2017/08/02/unity-2017-1-feature-spotlight-playable-api/
This is just like the fucking character controller, just because Unity comes with one, does not mean you should use it

Is it toohoomon? based on which version of pokemon?

9/10 something is missing, i think the anime version has softer-looking cheeks, might be the lack of skin shader you mentioned.

the hair is texture only i think

anyone used polybrush and had this issue?
their shaders are fucked because of this shadow

How possible is it to use Godot and never ever use GDScript? I physically can't into indent-based languages, and don't really want to use Unity or Unreal.
What about any other tools, how are those? Seems like most are just frameworks where I'll have to make my own room editors and so on, and that's a bit too much work, at least for now, while I'm trying to grasp the basics of 3D.
Pic unrelated.

As of Godot 3.0 it's not unrealistic to use C++ for everything, as you don't have to recompile the entire engine anymore like you'd have had to with Godot2. C# would also be perfectly usable if it weren't for the current lack of support for actually exporting a finished game using it until 3.1 is released. That feature's coming Soon™.

I suppose I'll mess around with 3D modeling in general, and look into it Soon
But it's nice to hear that it's likely going to be avoidable.

Godot 3 is getting Vulkan support now that there's a compatibility layer for Macfags and Android's GLES3 drivers are still shit.
godotengine.org/article/abandoning-gles3-vulkan-and-gles2

Now that's a pleasant surprise.

In Godot how can you check type of custom class?
where you would have
every time I've tried
it fails

Source 2 when??? Gayblet didnt deliver, fuack.

Dota 2 is made in Source 2 :^)
Happy custom map making :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^)

Try is_type("MyClass")

The Source 2 editor is buggy as shit, from what I've heard. It's incredible how active the modding community for Source is, considering how Valve clearly doesn't give a fuck about modding support anymore.

In Godot you can use 3d Gridmaps. Just make sure the origin of your 3d object is at the center of it. You can use those Gridmaps on every axis so you can use it for your floor and your walls.
Unless you put some effort into it it will probably be very apparent, that your layout is based on squares, although you can also set up your grid to not consist of squares, but rectangles.
As far as i know there is no landscape system planned like the one in UE4.

I don't think I know enough to do this tbh

what's the opposite of starting a game as a prisoner?

Like a literal prisoner that's in a prison or a metaphorical one? Wouldn't the obvious answer be a free man?

like an elder scrolls prisoner

Starting the game as either a king or some other kind of ruler, or simply as a free man FREEDUM ISN'T FREE XD

Starting dead, free from the shackles of life and reality

So Dark Souls 3 is the opposite of Elder Scrolls.

Starting as the prison guard, a prisoner escapes and you get fired because of it, now you are free to go on an adventure!
the escaped prisoner is the final boss

genious
i'll take it

yeah tried just now, and no dice

Use the "is" keyword
if ObjectToTest is MyClass: # do something

docs.godotengine.org/en/3.0/getting_started/scripting/gdscript/gdscript_basics.html

bonus points if you can kill him during the escape
and something even worse becomes the final boss

You get fired for killing a prisoner, and your boss becomes the final boss.

or maybe
YOU BECOME THE FINAL BOSS

You get convicted of killing a prisoner, escape and become the final boss.

becoming the final boss is really something I'd expect more of because of sotc tbh

I'm more thinking of indie nodevs with their MANY dork souls pixel shit clones

There's lots of DS derived games that have bled into other genres, notably Salt and Sanctuary and Hollow Knight being good examples of it.

eh it's mostly because it's really hard to fuck up a side scroller

Reminder

Reminder that on modern processors, said code is slower than doing it normally.

You obviously haven't played much shovelware; there are loads of terrible side-scrollers, since they're a pretty common tutorial that retards can copy-and-paste without actually trying to make the movement play well.

I'm just mostly amused by the source code comments, and how it's verbatim on Wikipedia

So jumping animations work now, sorta. Gotta make it so the initial first 2 frames happen when you jump, play the 3rd frame at apex, loop fourth until you hit the ground, then play the fifth upon touching the ground. I've also removed the ability to change direction mid air, plus you have no air control. Considering adding sections where I lock the player to 2 axes to have a real platformer mode, but we'll see how easy it is for the player to move around first. Still trying to get the player's movement speed proper, but the player now accelerates and slows down properly now, no sudden movement and sudden stopping. I considered keeping that as a feature but figured it could mess with the proper physics if I left that in so I scrapped it. I might do some experimenting later if I can get these things working:

freedums are serious bizness

you'd be correct in that assumption I honestly don't like side scrollers all that much and tbh I think that the only "good" ones are only considered so because of superficial stuff as such as art direction tbh

SMW2: Yoshi's Island is the only good side-scroller. Even then, sprite limitations sometimes screw the player. Shame it isn't harder though. Mega Man is terrible, I don't care who says what.

I need design ideas for a personal project, I want to make two creatures for a possible 3D animation or game I want to make eventually, is porn btw.

If you got any ideas you want to share, please do, thanks.

do you want the male relatable at all?

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be happy but I just wanna choke the life out of somebody. I still don't understand what went wrong in the first place.

Not quite, both are basically the usual fuck machines, the female one is more of a seducer but the male one is practically an inseminoid.

Maybe a step in between was interfering.

that's a film I'll need to see

I suggest having your male more like a deep sea spider with this kinda golden glued together pottery that's coloured a nice grey green tbh

or a japanese beefly

neilblevins.com/cg_education/photobooth_mirror_sketch/photobooth_mirror_sketch.htm

More or less, yeah, I would only add a tentacle or two where needed, I just want it to have that "Lovecraft" vibe, as for the lady, there was this enemy from Axiom Verge that resembled a female doing some kind of crab walking, I want to basically make it so the creature can assume that posture for "seducing" phases, I will still include in her the option to penetrate her victims if the story requires it.

This looks interesting.

don't go for "lovecraft" go for taking inspiration from real life

Maybe I should have said Giger instead but is almost the same.

basically

Well, I guess I can draw some stuff now… I hope.

looking forwards to what you come up with specially the male

I feel like #CEC2E9 is someone who gets their posts banned/deleted a lot, but technically they haven't shit up the thread yet.

I go on for awhile unbanned or deleted but then I'll have something actually legitimate get me done due to rule 8 the "ban who I don't like" rule

Hey there anons.

Can you explain to an ape why I shouldn't make all the variables in my class public and when I should use private and protected keywords? I just dont get it.

C++ by the way

Do you have Indians working on your code? If you make certain variables public and other variables private, this can help limit the damage that they could do by being able to modify every variable in your class.

To prevent yourself or others from doing retarded things.

In general you want to bury most of the code that fucks with them inside the class anyway so it's basically about enforcing good habits.

Really? Is this really the only reason? Wouldn't basically the same thing be accomplished via encapsulation and commenting shit properly?

On top of what other people have already mentioned, it's easier to understand your code when the ways your classes can interact are limited. It helps with debugging. If everything is public than anything could be causing that variable to be set to something weird. If it's private it narrows your search.

Private variables is how you accomplish encapsulation in c++.

Oh! That actually makes perfect sense!

Happy to help.

thanks, user

People can ignore or forget comments, or things can change so the code gets out of synch with the comments. It's generally better to express your intent through code when ever possible.

Not versed in C++, but encapsulation in any language is a mix of private variables that are only affected by public methods. So instead of myClass.myVariable=value you call myClass.changeMyVariable(value).

This is good practice in general for any project of significant size, that way unrelated objects don't have to know the inner workings of other classes, which fucks up your code when you make changes to said classes. Of course, like all good practices in coding, it can be taken to unhealthy levels of autism, so always check your own perfectionism.

if you havent looked at a piece of code in more than a month and then have to read it again you will be happy about anything you did earlier to encapsulate and comment the code, because then you stand a chance of understanding it quickly.

Since Steam got rid of Greenlight my revenue has gone down 35% already. Shits fucked.

Explain?

guessing too many games coming through the floodgates so when Steam recommends games in the stuff like "similar games" capsules my games are getting muscled out

I think I understand, partially.

Do you think Godot will pan out? Will it reach the Unity level of support and usability?

Is Unreal really significantly better graphically? /3/ seems to favor U, but fuck me if I ever whore myself to Tencent.

I fucking HATE learning to code, goddamn. Give me nodes and AI programmers.

It's pretty damn good for an open source engine. I haven't tried VisualScript yet, but it looks to be put together well.

yeah, why did they get rid of that?
it was somewhat nice and literally the gates of gaming hell

A flood of poo-in-the-loo pajeet garbage that was there to make money and nothing else.

I have a set of 3d points that make a loop.
I get the best fitting plane and make the 3d points loop into a closed polygon
I use a polygon deflation algorithm I got from some library that I don't know how it works, but it gave perfect results
How do I put the 2D deflated polygon back in 3D space?

To be honest the support will probably not reach Unity level, just looking at how long its been popular and how many problems will have come up for other users.
A big downside is that there are very few tutorials right now and you might be the first one to come across a problem and publicly ask.
The upside to the missing asset store is, that they dont profit off someone selling you something that should be in the engine.
Im going for it, but i also dont plan to make gamedev my main source of income or work for some gamestudio, so if it doesnt pan out im not screwed.

Just make a breast expansion mechanic.

as nice as that is, we would rather not make a fetish simulator

quality product

Nice.
Not so nice.

blame unity
the actual level loads fast enough, but it still takes forever because of all the start/awake scripts, at least as far as i understand it

Progress:

Shrunk the hands, they are now small and delicate, added feet and head and made several adjustments in several points

This model has 1.51m height, roughly 4.5 heads which is actually a loli size, as a teenager model it should have about 5 to 6 heads, this happened because i based the overall shape of this model on Sun&Moon models (Lillie and Mao), so i will have to decide if i leave it like this semi-chibi or if i shrink the head

aaaaaaalmost page 13

guys need help

func set_scale(frame = Vector2 (1280,800)): if (typeof(frame) == TYPE_VECTOR2): var size = get_item_and_children_rect().size;# if (ref.x = frame.x: scale = size.x / frame.x; else: scale = frame.x / size.x; else: if size.y

Holy shit I think I learned something

Also