Papers please short film discussion

So its finally out.
What do you think?
A bit too short in my opinion, they could have developped the plot a bit more, but they did stay true to the game very well. Production quality, sound design, voice acting, set design, general cinematography is really good.

Is this the first vidya-to-film adaptation that isnt total garbage?
Did slavs save yet another genre, this time of film?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games
papersplease.wikia.com/wiki/Son's_Drawing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What if papers please had a crossover with paper boy? Would paper boy give the papers please people paper and then the game would end because they got their paper?

Why should I give a fuck?

Most likely.

You're trying too hard to fit in.

Its was a pretty good game.
And its a pretty good film.

You dont have to give a fuck if you dont want to, user.

Well it's a mini game. It would fit right into some hipster post-modern JRPG.
Or newgrounds.

Dunno about film, but the game was trash.

Is Jorji in it

Does this look like a movie board?

Visual novels and mobage allowed, so I don't see why movies shouldn't be.

How so?
Its one of the few games that fit gameplay and story seemlessly together without cutscenes or breaks, while having a unique gameplay loop which was challenging but not tedious, not to mention having decent writing and plenty of choice and outcomes directly affected by player choice.

The embed is the whole film, so you can watch it yourself.
I think Jorji only appears during a short montage, his name and face is there for a second but nothing else

If this is not considered relevant for this board, then you may as well say that to all the webm and gamergate threads

The "ge" in mobage refers to games and visual novels sometimes have gameplay. Nice dubs though.

that was pretty good

Not enough cute anime girls doing cute things.

Pushing buttons to see lights flash and your money being removed from your account doesn't equal gameplay. Yeah it's still a "game", just not video game.
Unless we consider online, or any really, slot machines and gambling video games as well.

Good enough

So this is it.
The first actually decent film adaptation of a game. It may only be ten minutes but by fuck it's better than the 90 minute clusterfucks we've had before.

Why?

Dosh

Is that only counting live action? Because there have been plenty of good animated adaptions.

other than that, pretty good. It reflects the game well without bloating it in excess stuff like other adaptations

Thought it was great up until the ending. Could have let the last person be a rebel and handed the codex to him and the last shot was of the inspector deciding to hit the detain button or not.

Something I do have to ask is why all the text was in English?

I just noticed
кино

what other movies are there? i know RE has movies and they were all complete trash but i kind of liked it just due to how absurd and retarded some of those scenes were

That was pretty good.

Game was made in English. Since a lot of the text in-game is actually graphical (from what I remember), I'm guessing they opted out of trying to localize graphics as well and just stuck with "original text".

I remember Prince of Persia being bland as all hell, but not bad. Like water, it's got no texture, no smell, it's just there. Only lacking a reason to exist.

Whats with all the russian comments?

You kiddin'? There are tons of bad vidya movies.
Silent Hill
Doom
The Super Mario Bros Movie
Angry Birds
That awful Halo OVA
Ratchet & Clank
The list goes on

It's a Russian film, is it not obvious? The two guys behind it are from Moscow.

Oh yeah, first Mortal Kombat was the first "good" game movie. I've never seen Tomb Raider, so I can't say. Did anybody know they're about to release a nuTomb Raider movie? I saw a poster of it at a local theater by chance, had no idea it existed.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

Ow.

It was great. No gay ass nigger bullshit just straight to the point.

The internet is full of Russian bots.

Vidya movies get threads too, where the fuck do you think this came from?

The film is russian, that's not some made up language they're speaking in the film to fit the tone of the game you know (still incredibly fitting, considering Arstotzka is largely based on soviet russia).

Russians are not intelligent enough to create conversational bots. Their asianatic non Indo-European lineage makes them into a mostly cold and calculated bunch that only makes them work for personal survival. Very robotic eastern romantic type shit. Its why Communism and having tons of Jews in Russia to do finance works for them. There's a saying in the non-Russia eastern Europe (balts, ukraine). Russians are like Lichens. Lichens are combinational organism, with the body being a fungus, and the power coming from algae. With Russia, Russians make up the infanstructure and Jews provide the power.

Звуковой сигнал, не взорвите нашу крышку. Если бы вы сделали, лорд Путин был бы очень расстроен из-за нас!

Nigger it was a election meme. Hold your autism.

you are a brainlet if you don't
Through all that irony there's a golden truth behind his ramblings. The quickest way to truth in through humor.

your google translate sucks

nigger, that's germans

What? Germans have always been logical in work, but they're very artistic.

thanks op.

It was interesting enough, but why did it randomly end in people blowing themselves up? The ticket master didn't do anything wrong, except for letting himself get shot like a retard.

You got to be shitting me. The gameplay was supposed to be tedious. You were supposed to find a rhythm to get along with it, and the entire challenge came from things breaking your rhythm, like people not presenting all papers, or new papers to check being added, or shit happening outside your desk area. The entire point was that the game was tedious, and that you had to work around that. Did you even play it, faggot?

Theres also the 2 Hitman movies where whoever played Agent 47 definitely did not go for the silent assasin rating.
Then there is the ASScreed film.

The inspector failed to uphold security protocol.

I did play it.
I guess tedious was not the right word choice. What I meant was that it was fair and not enraging or too boring

Isn't that a bit dramatic?

I dont think there is supposed to be a moral "If you let a person with wrong documments through, youll die".
I think its supposed to be a "Such is life in Arstotska." kind of thing. He felt guilt that he stopped the guards gf from passing through, so he eased up on the next person. He didnt do anything wrong.

Such is life in Arstotska.

I always thought arstotzka was some balkan shithole, with all the talk about lost clay, petty bickering with other countries and such.

No that's the assumption people who haven't played the game make because being ironically unenjoyable is how a lot of these shitty job simulator games work.

What makes papers, please great is it manages to do the "I bet you can't believe there's a game where you're an x" shit while also being a good game in its own right. Even when you aren't doing the scripted parts you're either patting yourself on the back when you managed to catch a discrepancy in the papers, or you're getting paranoid as fuck when you can't find anything wrong and start triple checking every before letting them through.

Russians seem to be focused on making malware and cracking games over making conversational bots.

I concur. The plot however is lacking. Surprisingly good overall, just like the game.

papersplease.wikia.com/wiki/Son's_Drawing

bretty gud

I don't think it's possible to "win" at this.

There are 20 possible endings.

Only three are "good".

It literally makes it easier because more reasons to deny people entry causes you to process more and earn more.

most likely, although there's some german influence with the east/west Grestin thing.
unless cities were cut in half over there too

top tier shitposting right here.

Glory to Arstorzka

someone make a Jorji edit of Shiggy Diggy

Sounds like you need to git gud. Literally the only thing I ever had trouble with were the cities where the passports were issued because fuck remembering all those pseudo-slav names and looking things up takes too long. I not only managed to keep my fam healthy and well fed but even got into a better apartment.

The movie did great with the little substance the puzzle game has.
They could've done a 30min using the rebels and showcasing gameplay, but i think they played those 10 minutes very well, although the movie is more like welcoming you to play the game rather than showcasing the plot of the game

There were actually good parodies of Papers Please

Yea, plot is lacking a bit, I also would have prefered a 20min or longer.
Making a full length 2h film would run the risk of just getting boring, although I think, if the producers and directors were competent they could make it engaging enough

was trying to figure out what the dev's working on now, ended up finding a short sfx breakdown

I enjoyed the Street Fighter movie.

Vidya movie night when?

There's that game about finding witches at a school but it has very little in the way of stripping and is a textbook example of "weeabooshit" (I bet that stupid word filter is still there).

There's a difference between "good" and "nostalgic fond memories".

They can but the trends are pretty set.

Yeah you've obviously never played any. They do happen to have gameplay but not majorly. Which is why the only real mobage people talk about is Granblue.

NOW

That was pretty good, production values and cinematography were top notch, especially for and independent film. Glad to see that its getting well deserved attention.

No, the Mortal Kombat movie does not depend on the nostalgia factor. It was the first good vidya movie because it was the first that actually respected the source material and wanted to make something fun with it. It might be silly and profundly B-list, but you can't take away its quality as the first vidya movie that didn't actively shit on its roots.

I like it. Short but to the point. Feels more like an extended trailer for the game if anything.

Could've been a little longer with some EZIC interaction, but that was actually pretty good.

If any movie based on a game should do anything to the audience for me to consider it a success, it's to make the viewer want to play the game.
Seeing this short film made me want to play Papers Please, so I'd say it's good

ice game when

bump for good measure

How does papers please get a pass on here when Spec Ops: the Line doesn't? Shit gameplay still makes a shit game.

Because only retards with the inability to separate fact from fiction of a tumblrette shit on Specs Ops: the Line, and tumblrettes don't play Papers Please.

Papers, Please doesn't openly mock you for playing it.

So you're saying the people who shit on it do so because they cant separate fact from fiction? What does that even mean?

That sounds like a soyim excuse. A lot of great games did this, especially adventure games.

They tried too hard to make it look like the game on the first immigrant.
The cinematography is fine but the acting is pretty bland.

It means they take the white phosphorus attack as a personal attack against their moral standing when it's blatantly Walker's tactical mistake. Walker isn't even a first-person silent protagonist for fuck's sake.

I thought that's why the game got praised? Because you do a bad thing and see the main characters downfall with ptsd, then the end of the game is essentially "You know you're the bad guy what are you even fighting for"

Because it's not /a decision/. You don't make the decision. It's either Do The Bad Thing or Stop Playing Entirely. Those are your decisions. You don't get to make a call there. In Papers Please, you do: do I let this person through to see their loved one despite their shitty paperwork and take the hit on the chin, potentially hurting my family, or do I deny her as I should by the rules and move along a little faster so I can feed my family and keep them out of the cold?
Do I work with this strange organization for the money they offer, or do the 'right thing' and report them to the authorities?
Do I stop this criminal? Do I even care?
Those are choices. "Do I follow the linear line the game forces me to follow or stop playing entirely?" is not a choice. Papers Please doesn't call you out, either. You just know, most of the time (There are a few exceptions) that you did what you did, and you know the general ramifications of it. But The Line mocks you at every turn for doing WHAT IT FORCES YOU TO DO, snickering at your 'evilness' for daring to 'enjoy' the foul things you 'do'.

Papers, Please has original gameplay where as Spec Ops: The Line is a generic third-person cover shooter? Also Papers, Please does the thing where the game tries to make you feel like a bad person, but despite this its actually possible to do the right thing by people and get a good ending.

Terrorists attacks are a routine ocurrence in the game as well, regardless of your performance. Such is life in the border, etc

Nigga wut?

Yes, there are these things, called "short films", user. What near everyone thinks when they say "film", that is, something around 80-100, is actually shorthand for "feature film".
Shorter films exist mostly in the hobbyst realm and as a way for budding directors to build a portfolio.

*something around 80-100 minutes, fuck.

But the gameplay was so shit and tedious I didn't even give a shit.

Plenty of people enjoyed it user. You can't pretend it wasn't far more original than Spec Ops: The Line was.