Dead Cells

Anyone here playing this?
Early Access Roguelite Metroidvania, sounds like shitty buzzwords - the game but is actually really fun.
You start every run in the same location and progress through several biomes, different paths through those levels have different enemies (you get to choose your midgame boss). Weapons and items are random each time, as is the layout of the biome.
You get to keep upgrades that you can unlock between biomes, otherwise death is final. You also unlock different abilities to traverse the biomes (wallclimb!) Higher difficulties unlock after beating the game and increase enemy strength, change the type of enemies you encounter in a given biome and restrict healing.
Combat feels visceral (again buzzword but describes it perfectly) and rewarding once you git gud.
Regular updates as well, they're still adding stuff (biomes, bosses)

No.

Look everyone, a nigger

I'm bored, I guess I'll pirate it.

It's okay, even though the tactics build remains the best no matter what they try.

It's gone through some pretty significant changes, I'll wait until it's finished.

I get that. I just feel nobody is talking about it and the devs are still open to suggestions, so why not give them some feedback? Not (you) specifically, just anons in general.

I think survival never stops giving you health in the current alpha, so green will be king again I believe. Shields are ridiculous against singular enemies with a survival build and it has some great gear for clearing large hordes. Pure brutality is the most fun, though.

Haven't tried the alpha, does it break the game as much as they're implying? Are the prototype changes worth it or is it just for bug reporting?

i'll try it when its gonna be released. i dont play early access games

Maybe when the full game comes I'll give it a shot.

why bother

I'm a GOG-peasant, so no alpha for me. I've heard the first alphas are prone to crash but after a few iterations, they are stable. Never had a beta crash on me, or maybe once in over a hundred hours play time. Changes range from minor to game-changing, hard to say.

The combat is some weird floaty bullshit.

Almost every enemy in the game is fast and leaps forward when attacking to the point that keeping a distance is pointless. If anything, the distance you keep between you and enemies is purely detrimental to you and you alone.
Most enemies are stuck to the platform they're on, giving them no abilities to chase. The rest however is a pain in the ass to deal with, constantly teleporting right next to you to punish you for running away.
Bosses being vulnerable to disables is a good thing, but being able to rootlock them easily like you can now just flatout breaks them.
Everything is fast as fuck but also dies instantly when you build full damage. The resulting gameplay isn't exactly interesting, and the alternative (being able to tank a few hits but also having to hit enemies several times to kill them) is significantly more difficult. (And then there's the time gates that are significantly easier to get with full damage.)

On one hand, I have to give it points for actually making a roguelite work by making it fast and short, but on the other hand I really dislike this fast floaty bullshit.

Also the 3d model animations are ugly as fuck and shouldn't exist

Interesting. You're literally the first person I've seen complain about the feel of the combat. I think the sound, hitboxes, freeze-frames etc. all add up to a very "meaty" combat feel, and almost everybody who talks about the game seems to feel the same way.
You've hit some points I agree with though. Playing a glass cannon is the fastest way, and once you got some synergies going, it can get kind of samey. Still the most satisfying way to play, imo. The higher difficulties do away with almost all enemies locked to a platform, as ranged attackers are more common.
I don't see your point here. Either you attack from a distance or you don't, what's different from any other game here?

The combat is very well polished to have all the tiny effects it should have, certainly. I just don't like the actual gameplay built on top of that.
The issue I have with it is that it's too god damn fast and floaty. You don't read what enemies are going to do, you have to know their AI and predict in advance how they behave.
The end result is that the actual gameplay then not only ends up being extremely samely and predictable, but the lack of things to actually look out for will make it less engaging as well.

It's good that the game only is 5 floors deep, since I started to get sloppy and make mistakes regularly on the first few floors out of boredom when trying to beat clock tower.

Melee combat against multiple enemies often relies on being able to position yourself in such a way that you can hit enemy A whilst being out of the attack range of enemy B. When enemies can zip across the screen, you lose that.

How about you make a thread when the game is finished?

How about you don't go in threads about things you don't like you dumb nigger.

I think the difficulty spikes too much. Once you get past a boss fight you can die in less than a second. Even if you do put some points into survival.

Shields are a meme. If you know you're gonna take damage, why bother parrying or blocking? Just dodge.

There are a few garbage weapons, which makes you regret unlocking them.

I'd rate it 6/10. It has potential.

Once you've encountered an enemy type often enough, you'll know their animations, there is even a big exclamation mark above their heads right before they attack. So you can definitely read what they're about to do.
I guess your complaint about the speed of combat is a personal preference because I quite enjoy it. Frantic rolling, dodging, trying to get a hit in after a parry or decimating everything when your grenades come off CD, that's basically why the game is so fun to me.
There are a fuckton of different weapons and items, so if you don't limit yourself to the same items the playstyle from run to run can change dramatically.

I agree with your first point, the animations are nice though.
I don't get the general hate against pixel art, if it's done well (which it is in this case) then what's the problem? The rest of your complaints are p. retarded as well, sorry to say bucko.

The point isn't that you can read them, it's that you don't need to read them. The exclamation marks don't even parse with me anymore, it's all pointless noise to me since they are going to do the exact same thing they did the last 500 times before I gibbed them.
The reason why many games, including Castlevania, how slow and randomized attacks, is so that you actually have to pay attention to enemies. This game does not.

Have they released a controller fix yet?

I like pixel art just fine when it has effort put into it. Straight up just rendering a model with cell shading and no AA and calling it a day is lazy, looks like shit and clashes with the rest of the art. Smearing glows and gradients over pixel art has never looked good. Mix the two together and you have an inconsistent mess.

It's okay OP, you're experiencing what non-niggers call post-purchase rationalization. I don't hate you for supporting shit early access games, I just pity you.

I see. You're right, could be fixed with randomized attacks or maybe secondary abilities so you'll have to anticipate different attacks from time to time.

Ha, no. I had way too much fun for way to long to complain about my purchase now. I just don't feel like engaging with something like

when it's simply not true or irrelevant (call your game THIAF and I get the rage, just have it be in the same genre? Ha.)

Yeah, I played quite a lot of Dead Cells. I've gotten every achievement except beating the Watcher without taking damage, I find that boss really fucking annoying.
It might be the best roguelite I've played and it'll likely be the last. I am fucking sick of this style of game now. I'll still play Spire from Hitbox, but that's it.

I always do a Brutality/Tactics combo. I couldn't really find a tactical weapon that I really liked other than the Cursed Sword, which I tend to avoid for obvious reasons. I sucked with the electric whip.

I actually thought this was an ironic shitpost thread at first. OP is a whore who should kill themself.

Just barely enough self-awareness to realize that he's cancer, but not enough to stop himself from posting.

What you want is a frantic sword. It's tactics, it crits when you're at less than 50% hp and it hits respectably hard normally. Once you get that you can go full tactics and do absurd amounts of damage.

I actually have hope for this game and think some feedback from anons might improve it. The dev team is tiny and they listen to their players, which led me to hope that some anons might have some ideas to improve it.

Yes user, you're very cool. Here's an upvote. Redeemable only when you go back to reddit.

I always used Assassin's Dagger with frost bow and grenades and rolled around everything. Absolutely nothing could keep up. Does the frantic sword compare?

while i agree that OP is a cunt for shilling a early access game, how many of you faggots have simply pirated the game before shitting on it? i'd tell you to go back to reddit, but 4chan is probably more your speed

game is alright, dev will likely fuck it up somehow. wait until it's released, then buy it only after pirating. and only if it's on sale for less than 5 american pesos

It's fun but it would be better without RNG.
A leveling system with procedural unlocks would suit it best I think.

i want people who call this game a metroidvania to go fuck themselves

Yeah it's more like a sidescrolling brawler. Valdis Abyssal Story is still better than this game for me

infinitly better

You're missing the point here. Once you're good at the game and you've unlocked your favorite gear, you can fully explore all of the levels and still make it in time for those doors. It's a little extra bonus for the faster players who can rush the game. It keeps it entertaining, because if I didn't have a time limit to push me harder in the early levels there would be absolutely no challenge or enjoyment in repeating them at all.
Not sure why you'd want to apart from the specific runs during which you unlock new abilities, but it's really not a big deal at all. Your runs when you're still unlocking abilities are going to be dead runs no matter what you do. going back to use your new ability won't change that because all it'll net you is a few new chests.

Unless you're just refuting the metroidvania tag, in which case nevermind what I said.

yes

I saw it streamed a bunch and it looked amazing. If I felt like buying a gaming machine to install rootkits on, this would be one of the immediate reasons to do so.
The pixelart itself is done ok. Why is it pixels? I have no idea. Also, it has the usual bloom/fog fucking everywhere problem, but given how fun the gameplay looks, this is a merely religious objection.

bought it a long time ago when broteam played it, havent touched it in a few patches, dont really like the certain trees for items instead of just leveling heath / items / strength like it was before
that said the prisoner is a cool design

The only thing i dislike about the game is stunlock.
That's real fucking cancer that got me oneshotted with fucking 3000+HP + damage reduction on the fog fyords.

There's not point running HP, better oneshot everything on the way.

Itd breddy gud.
But yeah the shields are an inferior option and the difficulty takes a huge spike after the golem.

No. I can't be assed to finish Rogue Legacy and I don't even hate it.

I played it like 6 months ago to death then deleted it to make some room on my computer. looks like its got an update now, is it pretty much the same but with some tweaks??

wow, i never thought they made gifs for ants!

Rouge Legacy was probably my favorite game of it's year, but after I beat all the bosses, not even I could be assed to do the final boss.
If you like the concept of Rouge Legacy, Dead Cells is pretty good in that regard, runs are a lot faster tho.

The assassin's dagger is pure brutality. If you favor that build it is going to be good, of course. But the point of the frantic sword is that it's the only melee weapon that scales with tactics, allowing you to go all out with the stat.

OP, you didn't tell me that this game would take 2 minutes to pirate. This game's tiny.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:d749fc31e50192839502f5a1010248c868dea24f&dn=Dead+Cells+v05.12.2017&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

Yeah, so my question is whether a 100% tactics build with the frantic sword can keep up with the DPS of a 50/50 build with Assassin's Dagger, even with health above 50% because having it under 50 in a pure build is basically suicide if I'm using boss souls.

A 100% tactics build isn't about the melee weapon, it's about everything else while still having a viable melee. A good skill with a damage bonus will nuke everything up to and including the Clock Tower. You still want to give some levels to the other stats, about 5; for the hard HP gains though.

Use the opengl version my dude

nah,can't ruin gilmours voice

>>>/reddit/

True, but honestly I barely noticed he was gone when I saw Waters live.

lol somebody has missed the daily "Holla Forums is dying" posts

well no shit some songs are water centric (most if not of the wall,animals) but it's when they're together that you really feel the harmony (comfortably numb) (hey you)
but i agree that waters was probably the more important of the two.

What are some good damaging skills" I was disappointed by everything I tried, mostly all the turrets, and so just stuck with frost grenades.

The cluster bomb is the most straightforward damage skill. If you get a status bonus that's not frozen you're in for a good time. Most turrets are trash except for the ceiling one because enemies can't destroy it, and the sinew slicer because the after damage makes it viable to throw it and get to safety. The crusher does huge damage and will basically one shot everything if you got a +175% frozen, but isn't too reliable otherwise, and is useless against the assassin.
The crow's wings also gets a mention, not because it does good damage, but because it's effectively invincibility mode for a few seconds. It's a better panic button than the status grenades.

idi nahuj

It's a wonderful game and Holla Forumstards ignoring it because of their retardation is a good thing.
People who actually buy and play video games do indeed leave feedback, and devs answer it positively.
I'm waiting it to be finished before playing it again and am having quite high hopes for it.

Game looks nice, but that doesn't change the fact that OP is a cock riding nigger.
Fuck you.

Honestly the basic Infantry Grenade is the best damaging skill. It has the lowest cool down of all damaging skills and still relatively high damage. All the better if it comes with a +100% damage augment or better.

Frost Bow with pierce + 1 or 2 Infantry Grenades with +175% damage on frozen is easy mode if you go hard into Tactics. Round it out with a Hunter's Longbow if you want a boss killer

It's still in early access?

chain freezing/rootlocking the beholder and the fractured one is like the biggest cheesefests I had the displeasure experiencing.

also they need to rework the clocktower, everything fucking two-shots you at 500 HP

sageing =/= downvoting kiddo