Serious Sam thread

I want to get into the Serious Sam series, where should I start? Is this a good entrypoint?

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/41050/Serious_Sam_Classic_The_First_Encounter/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no
store.steampowered.com/app/41050/Serious_Sam_Classic_The_First_Encounter/

Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about Revolution?

the fact it's unfinished is reason enough to just stick to the classic games

Play in release order skip the console exclusives, if you really want the game to be touched up all pretty, skip the HD variants and install the fusion port instead.

this

Just keep in mind that once you get to SS3, the beginning has some of the worst Serious Sam levels ever. They tried to turn Serious Sam into a corridor shooter for the first few levels for some strange reason. If you wanna stick with it the later parts of the game are really good.

SS3 uses the procudural education formula of teaching the player. Note that you don't get a gun until you absolutely need one to kill a guy without injuryAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

If you want to go in chronological order, Serious Sam 3: BFE takes place first. First Encounter, Second Encounter and Serious Sam 2 take place afterwards.

Also, Serious Sam 4 will take place before BFE. So if you want to wait until it come out……

Serious Sam 3 only peaks at the very end and is only worth playing.

I hope you get run over by a bus for even suggesting that.

But Serious Sam 3 is a good game!

Are you trying to say that serious sam's ending is the only part of the game worth playing or that the peak in the ending is the only serious sam related material that is worth playing.

this
for new players chronologically is the best

3 is by far the easiest and will help people grasp the concepts they need to learn. By the time they beat 3 they will be ready for first encounter. After first encounter they will be made serious and ready for the fun that is second encounter.

sam 2 should be played by children only.

I talked to John Dick (Sam's voice actor) on Facebook and he says they're working on it. Hopefully, we'll be hearing some news this year.

They were reusing assets from a dead project which WAS a military themed corridor shooter.

On that note, what the hell was up with the tone of the games during the 2K era? I highly doubt it was Croteam's idea to turn everything wacky and cartoony while somehow still having an M rating, especially since Next Encounter came out before SS2 and wasn't developed by them. Do we know if this was some kind of mandate from 2K?

i made this just for you

Serious Sam TFE and TSE are pretty good even with the questionable dlc/expansion levels, Serious Sam 2 is average and considered offensive for it's themes but Serious Sam 3 is like the Croteam got a concussion and started to remember what is a Serious Sam is, the ending saves what would have been a bad game and the fusion port makes it more bad since they removed ammo packs on the Serious difficulty.

So what nigga
Morrowind was Xbox Hueg as well

Talos Principle.

Actually the cartoony art style dates back to the Serious Sam port for the Xbox from 2002 that merged First and Second Encounter into one game. If I recall correctly the cartoon art style was decided upon to differentiate it from the all the other shooters at the time. Also when you to think of it the enemy design is all over the place with shit like harpies, healess soldiers, skeleton chargers, cycloptic blemmyes, giant fish brains on legs and other crazy shit I'm guessing the idea to go cartoony seemed like a good idea at the time.

Serious Sam's design has never had any consistency.
He's also been a Duke Nukem rip off, a Johnny Bravo ripoff, and a generic looking dude.

bethesda also publishes their own shit

You can easily pirate the first encounter and the second encounter my man.

Start with the first game and stop with 2nd Encounter. Avoid the DRM-crippled Steam games.

if the game tried to emulate that cel shaded style it would have something redeeming about it

the next encounter is a lot of fun and is the best couch coop shooter ever, im not saying its better than ss1 but its not even close to bad and should definitely at least be tried if you are interested in that kind of game

The problem with Sam II wasn't the general art style, I actually like it, but how it went way overboard with the silly humor. TFE and SE were humorous, but they juxtaposed that against the threatening enemies and "realistic" locations. In II, everything was silly. Then there were things like trying to turn Netricsa into another Cortana and much greater amount of cutscenes, mostly focusing on dumb jokes. It was just too much of a radical departure from the earlier games.

Yeah agreed. Serious Sam TFE and SE are the only games in the series I found enjoyable. He should play those and then Painkiller.

Sam 3 is alright. Jewel of the Nile was especially nice.

Jew of the Nile is alright and would be better with more ammo, like the rest of SS3.

Just play serious sam HD or Serious Sam 2 HD which is the best in the series.

It's a Serious Sam game.

Play the first two in the classic (TFE/TSE) version not HD, you'll miss out on the physics enabled room otherwise, Serious mode obviously since anything else isn't interesting
SS2 is optional and the humor might just make you forgo it entirely, the very end is a noticeable improvement from the somewhat mediocre first half gameplay wise
The Next encounter is also optional
TFE/TSE HD are optional but play them through Fusion if you do play them
Classics Revolution you should just forget
SS3 if you can stomach the beginning parts also through Fusion

Pretty sure you get it for free if you get the other games anyways, no reason to buy it separately.on top of having no reason to play it altogether

fusion bugs out on me, I had spawn issues in several levels and can't proceed due to an especially bad spawn bug. I think it was in unearthing the sun?

there are games like overwatch for people like you

if you said ammo for weapons that isnt the shotgun or assault rifle that would be acceptable.

are you serious?

Why yes, as a matter of fact I am.

pirate gog version

What's with all the bitching about Revolution? I tried it last year and it seemed to work perfectly.

Furfag author is incapable of doing anything correctly, so much so that croteam just open sourced the original engine for more competent people to fuck with.

I know he was stubbornly refusing to implement multiplayer kicking or something, but what else has he fucked up?

I'm mostly going off the fact that it's early access and hasn't had any meaningful updates for over a year.

I've heard that the beginning was to parody modern military shooters before going in to proper SS territory.

The dead project is the real explanation, they just re-purposed it into a parody. Honesty if it had been only 2/3rds as long it would have worked.

Man how was I surprised when I started playing first and second encounter HD after playing only SS2 as a kid.
no internet and cd smuggling among friends

Croteam at one point failed to pitch a new Doom game which explains this model in Serious Sam 3 and why a lot of the enemies in Serious Sam 3 feel like Doom enemies. That may also be the reason the new Doom is an arena style game like Serious Sam.

I love Croteam but they'd be the wrong developers to do it then again it could hardly have been worse that way.

it would have came out and people would have complained without knowing how fortunate they are.

Hey guys

His arms are so tiny, why?