Games With Drab/Grim/Depressing Settings

I've always loved games with Depressing Settings, often Urban. I guess it comes from living in a part of the world which is often cloudy and gray, paired with the mundanity of real life, It's all sort of grown on me, and so I enjoy games that have settings like that. One of them is Dreamweb and it's depressing Cyberpunk setting, does anyone else feel the same about these kinds of games? If so do share some titles that fit the description.

I suppose SMT4 and its sequel somewhat fits that.

Too colorful and insane for my taste.

VtM:B has a little bit of that vibe, it's definitely urban with fucked up things happening to people and an impending apocalypse.

Does Half-Life 2 count as depressing enough? I mean, everything is hopeless and the oceans are getting drained.

I've played it and it really fits with my description, it was a pretty fun game.

I guess, although it's too science-fiction-ish to be like that, but that's just me though.

I can no longer see it as any kind of grim or depressing. Thanks, Ross.

The Exile series is set in a giant cave used as a prison for society's unwanted.

If only we could put people in caves irl.

Play .flow
It has a little bit of everything you described but there's really no game to it. You just kind of explore dark and dreary atmospheres inside of the protags dreams; a lot of them are urban and there's a slight touch of cyberpunk to the vibe of the game. You even go to bed by sitting at a computer, and there are some implications within that. It's really damn good.

Fun fact: You could easily bury all of mankind in a hole with one cubic kilometer volume.

I actually like .flow, but I think it goes way overkill with how edgy it can be at times.

Planescape Torment and The Void I suppose. Also good taste OP Dreamweb is cool.

what is it with stalker and anime?
is it the autism?

Because its the most uncanny thing and it applies the rule of humor of contrasting.
Imagine walking into a room and instead of a bunch of monolith shaking like retards around trash they are all gathered in-front an old old transistor tv as they watch some slice of life trash with a catchy intro from last year.

Kings Field series contain very depressing characters and ambience, but Silent Hill 4 the room was amazing for depression. The apartment was so much like ones I've been depressed in, that I took to it greatly and by beating the game, I beat my depression and haven't looked back.

I prefer depressing or grim events more than settings. The best thing is when a game luls you into a false sense of security with upbeat music and a seemingly upbeat setting and then shit get real.

That's more of a gimmick than anything. Give me some games that do this beyond doki doki and undertale and I'll be convinced.

Xenogears

I've actually been having a similar craving recently. Beyond the obvious stuff already mentioned, there's been some cool source mods with that kind of tone. Specifically G string for half life 2 and Cry of Fear if you haven't played that yet.

You called for edge?

Madoka
it's an anime but still does it better than anything else out there

that's his body flipping in the air isn't it?

The early stages certainly qualified. Oceans were drained entirely, every human left alive was either on the run in the wasteland infested with alien wildlife that utterly devastates everything in its path with about 90% of people becoming zombies due to such a massive amount of Xen shit, and all of the other humans are enslaved either by being forced to work in factories 24/7 (including children) or by working as a metrocop and tormenting your fellow citizens.

Also in early stages, the air was heavily polluted to make way for Combine advisors and everybody had to wear a gas mask or else you would cough up blood and die or something. I'm not sure if these concepts would have better than the final game, but it's difficult to not miss a few of them sometimes.

Think it's a her, but yep.

I actually thought the edge was really cool in .flow and thought it was done well

HtoL#NiQ
Rose in the Twilight
Fragile Dreams

The former in particular has an abandoned industrial/apocalyptic world setting that at the start feels somber and lonely, and becomes intensely depressing and grim the more you learn about the protagonists.