Patches The Unfuckable

I want to understand this character but I don't know if he got retconned or there was character development to him between Dark 1 and 3.

In Dark 1, he was obviously a mischievous and greedy fuck that tricked people to steal their shit. You can tell he liked getting shit from them and making extra souls because he'd sell things at a higher price than other merchants in Dark 1 and making more souls by selling the shit he got from other people he killed. You could argue he mostly did that to fuck with clerics because he hates them but if that's the case then why sell their shit? Why sell shit at a higher price in general?

Dark 3 spoilers ahead:
In Dark 3, specifically the Ringed City DLC with the Lapp reveal (admittedly pretty cool) he's like "I'm above you greedy silly humans, for I have reached Nirvana and cleansed myself from wordly desires!" and I guess his motivations are to punish people for being greedy now. This contradicts his earlier character as he IS shown to be greedy as well in Dark 1 (he does take other people's treasures and makes money off of them), he's just more deceitful about it.

He always existed to punish the greedy, user, that was his whole shtick.
The reason he survives through all the game is because he was so focused on punishing the greed of man

Is that Patches the Hyena? What is "Dark 1 and 3"?

I killed him in DaS1. He didn't survive. At least, I never saw him again after I killed him.

That's the part of the character Dark 1 and 3's versions have in common, but the difference is he did use to be greedy himself as well in the first game. He didn't steal for nothing.

No, he doesn't have that asshole goatee

(it's actually the same Patches, and voiced by the same actor in DeS, DaS, DaS3, and Soulsborne)

I hate him, but I can't kill him.

I know. Also appeared in Armored Core if you want to get technical, but didn't like a nu metal singer with a goatee from early 2000's .

didn't look like*

What a fag.

He'd make an alright she.

Nose too big, but I've seen worse.

Nobody calls Bloodborne that. Where the fuck do you even think you're trying to fit in at, dipshit?

And then he turns into a spider.

The Age of Ancients was caused by the Old One in Demon's Souls.
The Age of Fire was caused by Patches because he can't stand living in a gray world.
Bloodborne's world was created by the Painter using the Blood of the Dark Soul.

I solved the fucking mystery.
Give me my paycheck.

Slav/10.

Rejoyce for emulation is happening. Slowly but surely.

Short answer; he's a hypocrite plain and simple. Long answer is we know the undead curse entails that you don't die, you go hollow and that's either from losing purpose or motivation. You can die endless amount of times as long as you don't give up or lose yourself. Lapp was on the brink of losing himself until you came along and from there he struggled for purpose and was slowly going hollow himself. Talking with you and hanging out gave him some clarity until he ends up stumbling onto his original self. From there he was given a choice; to pick up the mantle of who he was; give himself a new motivation and continue, or go hollow and insane.

He still probably considers you his friend, considering he's summon-able after for the Spear of the Church fight, just friends aren't exempt from being set straight here or there.

How is that contradictory? It just means he liked doing it so much he realize he was the manifestation of antigreed

He's in almost every FromSoft game, even in one of the Armored Cores

And in one of From's older works, I think King's Field. He is just a reference, From really likes referencing their other works. It is why Tarkus' helmet has the look it does, it is a head part from Armored Core.

I haven't played the ringed city DLC and have no diea what you are talking about with Nirvana but things to consider
Patches in Dark Souls 1
First Encounter
He causes you trouble and if you are honest with him and tell him he caused you trouble, he will honestly give you a humanity for the trouble.
As for the cleric bit, this may be justified assuming the theories about the Way of the White being related to the AYYLMAOs of Bloodborn.
Second Encounter
In this encounter Patches is literally testing you for greed. He points to treasure and if you go for it he punishes you. Not only that but he also tests your willingness to forgive, as if you don't forgive him he will give you a twin humanity, and if you do he shows you a path to safety.
Buying the recently dead's possessions is a prick move. Hope you enjoy paying out the ass for them, you greedy shit.

What about patches in DeS?

Nobody calls it Bloodsouls either. What's the difference?

He's there as a scavenger taking advantage of an apocalypse, nothing more. His first encounter is in world 4 if dialog is to go by. He kicked Saint Urbain into a pit that contains bodies, a quest related sword, and a black phantom, who is theorized to be the owner of said sword. How he got tricked, I don't fucking know. If you come back to him, he tries to weasel out by saying it was just a little joke and that you're his friend. The second time you meet him, he tries to trick you into getting assraped by a bearbug, but then is surprised when you make it explode on him.

Alright, you didn't pay attention OP- Patches fucking hates churchfags because they made the undead, and are corrupt liars running a pyramid scheme/usury bullshit- there's a reason why the faith shit uses INT at later ranks, it's a subtle que to the fact that the wat of white exists to propgate Gwyn's age of fire by getting humans to ignite their humanity and burn it to fuel the flase cycle/brand.

Patches hate's dishonest greedy fucks because they end up like the Aldritch failful or whatever, cunts that cheat nature by drowning themselves in sin to become indigestible to the world- so he punishes them and doesn't feel an ounce of guilt, but tempting their worst vices. Namely, Greed. If you indulge in that form of Hedonism, especially in a dying world like Dark Souls, it's no wonder he fucks you over, you literally deserve it.

Also, again, there's never not a case where patches doesn't fuck you over without means for you to survive, and each trap he sets has a test or otherwise hidden purpose- survival just means even if you're a cunt you can at least carry your sin and weight, death just means patches was right- which is why he asks your fogiveness once you get out.

He get's along with other vagabonds/rogues with a conscience because of a shared sense of honesty both have.

Havent played the game but according to the wiki
So same deal more or less.

Hmm, now where have I seen this naming convention before. I haven't, because I don't fucking go to reddit.

Sans Booty

The Painter is Ocelotte

t. toaster owner who can't emulate a PS3

patches just wants to steal your attache case
before running back to home base
he also may lace your drink and you won't be able to taste it
he'll sort through your things as your mind begins to sink
and when you're on the brink of falling off the edge
he'll hedge all his bets and try to secure your last wedge of cheese
and even if you say, "please, no, don't do that"
he'll teabag your bitch ass and watch the humanity drain from your twat

or something.