Times when the mechanics synergize with the character/story

Dante as a character is all about looking cool, and having fun.
His games have a combo meter, and a style gauge.

Bayo as a character is all about being untouchable, and looking cool.
Her games revolve around dodging attacks, and building your combo.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.hooktube.com/watch?v=XIx7Ot5Mq2Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bayo looks like a giraffe so her games are shit

Dark souls 1 : the curse of hollowing is essentially just making it impossible for someone to die, and they keep going as long as they have the will to fight. When they stop fighting, they go hollow. The player character doesn't go hollow because you, the player, keep trying.
They tried to make something like that with bloodborne, making a whole bunch of statements about bloodlust turning you into a beast and such, but let's be real. Has anyone felt inhuman for using the rally mechanic?

>the level itself is one big checkpoint-less fight where if you get hit once you get a death timer and the ending changes it's pretty much a different, sadder credits song and an edit to the credits image, but it was pretty fuckin cool

Gravity Rush 2 gets special mention but the way GR2 and Nier Automata interweaved how the mechanics work with the narrative elevated them tremendously.

why are polacks making the better western games nowadays?

…like how Alan Wake is, quite literally, "carrying the light through the darkness"?

Asura's wrath is both the only "cinematic game" that I tthink actually works and does this a lot.

As you are probably aware, it's really more of an intteracive anime then a game. Instead oof having traditional levels where you move through them geographically, at all times there's a "rage meter" on the top of your screen. As you kill anemies and do shit in a given area, it builds up, and when you hit max, you can do a "burst" Asura goes fucking ballstic and a the story cutscene plays of him going wild and doing insane bullshit and then that cutscene will naturally transition into the next section of the mission. Likewise, during bosses, you aren't depleting a boss's healtthbar, you are building your rage bar up so Asura can go wild and do crazy insane shitt in the cutscene that is too wild to work in gameplay before it goes to the next stage of the boss.

Where it gets cool is that this bar is also active inside cutscenes. If a character says something that pisses Asura off, the bar will go up, and if he calms down it goes down, and the game plays with that to work with inserting bursts inside cutscenes in accordance with that.

It also actually uses QTE's in interesting ways. Some of them are just sort of simple but still nice, such as using the QTE's more as a way to inser haptic feedback into indivual hits or elements of cutscenes, such as when Asura braces each of his legs in when he goes to catch the fiinger from the planet sized boss, you pull a trigger as he puts each leg down, or if in a fight in a cutscene it's super coregraphed, each indivual hit will be a QTE prompt rrather then just a single prompt to move foward in the sequence, which makes each hit feel a bit more weighty vs just watching a cutscene.

Where it gets REALLY interesting is towards the end of the game and in the DLC, where the game puts multiple QTE's on screen at once, so say if Asura iis just beating the shit out of somebody with like 10 punches a second, the entiire screen is just swarmed with B button QTE prompts, or in the climax where asura grows like a billion arms, like 20 analog stick inputs pop up on screen for you to push outward as the arms erupt out of him; shit like webm related as well. The coolest thing during the final fight against God, he has his own set of QTE prompts he uses and pushes to avoid yours, and as you beat the fuck out him he starts to fuck up his inputs.

Basically it actually uses the idea of being an interactive anime to do neat shit that wouldn;t be possible or wouldn't work as well just as a normal game or as a normal anime.

The idea was pretty neat and I had some fun with it, but it locked away it's ending behind DLC. Jesus FUCKING Christ.

The World Ends With You is a fucking case study on how to do this
>Joshua is a pain in the ass. In battle he operates on a completely different axis, forcing you to re-learn the game. This coincides with the introduction of Taboo Noise, an enemy type that demands competent play on both screens. You don't even get half his movelist until he begrudgingly agrees to put actual effort in, at which point he becomes a killing machine. He builds his fusion attack by making the right decision at the right time. He does not have a bonus to build up.
>Beat is reckless. He begins with very high attack power and is the only partner who physically moves on the top screen. He also takes a ton of damage and is liable to get you killed due to the sheer speed at which his HP depletes. His fusion attack is built by lining up cards and pulling the trigger, causing like pairs to disappear. Bonuses are gained if you chain pairs, but if you wait too long they burn out.
I'm sure there's more but i need to run

Not gonna lie, that's pretty cool

S4 League

World has an in universe cards which are used to bust viruses by generating weapons to remove them.
Mega Man can actually use these game cards to generate legitimate weapons on his person.

Bravely Default does this
And it pulls it well.

I'm actually having problems with Tomato's character designs, despite being huge Tarofag and thinking that overall Tomato is the best game ever made.
>built to kill destroy high advanced ayylien technology en masse

Did you fail Mad Science 101 or something?

I would build sexbot looking like 2B and would built separate killbot looking like some armored core.

It is pretty damn funny that Josh is complete trash for the first five days, and then at the very end of day 5 he actually starts trying and you suddenly wreck everything for two glorious days before you have to switch to Beat and start getting your ass kicked by that stupid bitch and her flower gun because Beat can't block that for shit.

Beat's recklessness is also pretty interesting in that the cards Beat collects earn him more bonus stars if he does big combos, but big combos require lots of cards matching at once. And if you want to match lots of cards at once, you have to create a big stack. The bigger your stack, the less time you have before the stack burns, and you not only lose the whole stack but you also take damage if this happens. You have even less time than that on harder difficulties. It's pretty crazy.

I also like the fact that Mus Ratus has pins that are basically cheap knock-offs of other brand pins. They're generally easier to use and WAY cheaper to buy, but much weaker.

oh right, here's a huge tip for actually making Joshua good: buy equipment that increases his number of combo panels. His grounded moveset is pretty much garbage unless you get THE CAR. And the only way to get the car is to target 3 different enemies at least twice before unleashing the attack. So, bare minimum, 6 combo panels, probably more, and you have to make sure there's at least 3 enemies to target. This is a huge pain in the ass without the phone camera and only slightly better with it.

After you get The Jesus Beams, as I like to call them, you want to do the opposite: single out one enemy and hit them repeatedly. If any single enemy gets hit 6 times in the same combo, the finisher will be the upgraded death spears that hit both sides 3 times instead of the smaller, 2 hit version that only hits one side.

you some sorta fag?

That's clearly a guy robot.
You're not gay, are you user?

Armored Core 6 WHEN?

So essentially what you guys are speaking of is "Gesamtkunstwerk", correct?
m.hooktube.com/watch?v=XIx7Ot5Mq2Q

did you beat the game?

no we're talking about real things not some ramblings of some autistic, fat sjw

Maybe. I've never heard the term before, but looking it up, the general idea is like
So like, a structure with support struts that create a pattern, or a page in a comic where the character literally leaps out of the panel?
I'm having a hard time articulating it, but basically "when something's nature/structure is integral to the piece, and can't be separated?"

How on the mark is that?

Bloodborne

It's greedy as fuck but said DLC ending was also the coolest ending to anything i've ever seen, so I have a hard time being mad at it.

Will you fucking quit giving the actual Taro fandom a bad name? Automata would be a Holla Forums beloved game if it wasn't for you obnoxious shills.

You are being just as obnoxious making statements like your entire post that i'm quoting and you probably don't even realize it. Nobody wants to hear about Nier Automata anymore much like Undertale, get it through your thick skull.

Dante as a character only existed in DMC1

I think you'd find any excuse to dislike it. It's not a particularly flawed game and what it does well it does extremely well. Stop being autistic.

You, my friend. You're a shark. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

You'd think that but actually "attractive" males with ideal aryan aethetics (bishounens) are more holy, redpilled and godly that your Jewish waifu shit. Take the bishie pill you fucking cuck.

I have just one thing to say to this thread: Zone of the enders 2.

Sure, I'll bite.
I couldn't think of a better word, and I doubt you can either.

U think it can be that but it can be also "fully utilizing ones medium".

Connect or any of its various synonyms.

BJ from Wolfenstein hates nazis and you spend most of the games killing nazis

"Times when the mechanics of a game integrated the character/story into them"