Holla Forums, I'm feeling really goddamn nostalgic for something medieval...

Holla Forums, I'm feeling really goddamn nostalgic for something medieval. Any recommendations for games that let me explore a countryside, a ruined castle, a forgotten temple? I crave to get lost in time.

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/kingdom come/type/op/
resetera.com/threads/kingdom-come-deliverance-ot-bohemian-rhapsody.22692/
hooktube.com/watch?v=eBWGP2do5sM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ark has some temple ruins on the Center and Ragnarok maps, although they aren't very big

Skyrim has lots of ruins and forts. And ruined forts.

Haha, this is so cute.

Medieval: Total War

The first game, not the sequel. The reason why the first game, is because it has a much better atmosphere that really nails the middle ages. It also has better music. It also has nice historical battles featuring huge armies. You can remove or defend Kebab, remove or defend the Mongolians, or reenact history in the 100 Years War. There's this one level that's brutally hard. You play as the French, in a castle, lead by Joan of Arc. The English are besieging you from all sides and you have to take out their trebuchets before they collapse your walls.

If you're used to the 3D R:TW engine, it'll take some time getting used to the more primitive sprite/voxel-based Shogun engine, but once you get past that hurdle the game is a lot of fun and easy to immerse into.

Thief Gold might also interest you. Plenty of (fantasy) medieval levels, sneaking your way past guards in corridors and hallways, into palaces, king's chambers, dungeons, castles and all sorts of spooky claustropbic shit.

Why fellow eight channel anonymous user, have you tried the new video game Kingdom Come Deliverance™? available now from Steam™? Don't you want to smite those SJWs and be #BASED OP?

Shill your Cinematic™ mountain blade clone somewhere else danny boy. Like, reddit and such.

oh joy

You know. Aside from all sjw and jew crap that happened past 2006, gaming industry never changed.

here you go OP

back ya go eurojanker

I'm not even sure if that stuff has changed, just the people who talk about it became more plentiful.

Try Darklands OP.

eat cum faggot

This game was like dark souls, only even more boring and badly optimized.

sotc is the dark souls of team ico games

I doubt he needs any more marketing, all those journalists have done all the work for him

Don't listen to butthurt trolls.
Kingdom Come is exactly the kind of game you're looking for if you want to have a comfy time exploring plains and woods to find occasional loot, npcs, bandit camps or just pick up some herbs.
Not many expansive ruins, but it's fun to try to follow crudely drawn treasure maps or just look for hidden caves and camps. The game reminds me the most of the Gothic series in how alive the world feels and how you just go and live the life you want.

We need better castle builders.

too obvious Daniel

You should prepare yourself for KCD shilling to become a normal occurrence just like stalker or new vegas fanatism.

eurojank fanaticism has been the norm for years, just call it out and watch them squirm. based slavs, poles, and croats can do no wrong.

OP also wants medieval. No game does medieval better than KCD, and I doubt any game ever will. That game is a fucking masterpiece and a legitimate work of art, and I'm saying that fully aware of how much of a buggy mess it is.

Maybe OP just wants a game with medieval themed game like Oblivion and such, not some realistic shitflinging dark ages shit.

This is getting way too obvious.

imagine pretending this game isn't being shilled here with posts like these

Why do you come to this board if you dislike the generally accepted games so much? You clearly won't have much in common with the typical posters if you don't even like the same games so why stick around? Probably because all you know is shitting on things and you think that is what Holla Forums is all about because that's what you read on r/4chan.

If you don't mind a kind of watered down, but comfy game you could play Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. I suggest emulating it on the gamecube though. The PS2 version doesn't emulate well.

silly lad, I like these games, but even I can tell when fanaticism is at play. These games are more than just "generally accepted." They're worshiped. They can do no wrong, and pointing out their flaws is heresy. I don't even know what r/4chan is, but if having someone around like me is enough to bother your booty I must stay.

shame the ps2 version doesn't emulate well, IIRC it does some really cool high res down sampling and produces some really nice visuals as a result.

I genuinely don't know if this is a false flag, which could very well be possible considering the bizzare amount of butthurt and sperg triggering this game seems to gather, or if you really think it's a masterpiece. It's very good game with some flaws but it's far from being a masterpiece.

No, you can't, or you would be more concerned with the fact that new vegas "fanaticism" is a direct and recent result of the uptick of unironic toddposting in every new vegas thread. Again the result of migrants like yourself.

This just reeks of you being butthurt that someone told you to git gud and get out of here stalker when you bitched about cheap ai when you really do just suck.

So you are either a liar or a newfag, don't know which is worse but either way you just confirmed everything I said above.

Thank you for further confirming that I am correct in your inability to do anything but destroy.

Except both 4chan and reddit absolutely fellate this game.

user, don't tell lies and then get trips. We all know neither cuckchan nor plebit have any taste. Proofs, faggot.

We are discussing multiple games here you illiterate. I didn't even mention KCD at all.

KCD is a new boogeyman of a group concerned about Holla Forums's tastes. We all know Holla Forums has shit taste anyway.

Look it up yourself.
boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/kingdom come/type/op/

I'm gonna google "reset era kingdom come deliverance" and see how much they love it

Back:
>resetera.com/threads/kingdom-come-deliverance-ot-bohemian-rhapsody.22692/
They love it so much its general has over 3000 posts. Safe to say this is also a resetera game and only neofag rapefugees and resetera shills like it.

It would be better if the Holla Forums "gatekeepers" and other sperg assortments typed out a post explaining what they think is wrong with the games they want to keep from being discussed instead of shitposting everything to death thus lowering the quality of the board. It would also be nice if the people "defending" said games didn't take every criticism levied against those games personally.

Fuck, i only heard this word today about DW9 on gamefaqs. What is this reddit-tier term? Holla Forums is not one person.

They do, is just happens in an off-board chat room like disagreement or IRC.

Of course. Why wouldn't they? It's going to appeal to every European regardless of how they think things should be because it's instinctual. Heritage and what not.
Also, although they would rather pull their teeth out than admit it, they're all extremely happy to not see niggers, faggots, trannies, dykes, etc. etc.

Holy moly.

I like the most out of this picture how Redguard is not even an rpg.

Damn, you're right. Todd got me again.

What I dislike about KCD? The emphasis on graphics over performance despite being made by a bunch of poor slavs. The lack of roleplaying, eg playing as a different class with different strengths and weaknesses. The lack of dungeon crawling, making it feel as boring as M&B. Lack of magic, making the customization feel limited and not satisfying. Too much focus on story, taking away the freedom of expressing yourself. Overall, I think it just doesn't really work as a video game. Grinding in the open world felt repetitive due to the lack of things that make other RPG games fun. Even Worthabuy fellates it and hypes it as the only good RPG to ever came in the last 15 years. It's pretty baffling for me.

Your only legit complain that i agree with you on, but so did gothic, stalker, elex and witcher.

Stalker sucked without the sandbox mods like CoC.
And to put it simply, trying to "immerse" you into a predefined story is the most lowbrow thing a video game could do. Player's motivation of doing something should be purely based on gameplay reasons, such as destroying Oblivion gates to retrieve powerful enchantments, not because you have to. The reason is, because you're playing a video game, not reading a book. I don't like games that take their story far too rigidly, such as KCD.

As I see it the story in Kingdom Cum or at least how the story is launched is mostly a pretext to introduce character progression, which seems to be the main attraction of the game. Henry says he wants to do something of his life, he's show inept at swordfighting, he gets wrecked by random bandits and then the game leaves you free to go as you please to get better at all the skills and activies the game has. During all this there's the story in the background about getting revenge which also shows the character progressing and getting more responsibilities. I think it's two ways of presenting the story in a vidya and depending on how it's done I find that both ways can be enjoyable.

Enjoyability is a subjective matter. What I'm discussing here is the inherent purpose of video game. Gameplay must be the highlight of everything, and story must pertain to the role playing gameplay itself.

The inherent purpose of a videogame is that subjective enjoyability. It doesn't matter how that enjoyability is achieved as long as it's there.

But so are blockbuster movies. Video games exist as a game in a video format, not as a movie in a game format. Video games are fully interactive moving pictures first and foremost, not books or movies.

I didn't know you were that old OP.

I miss going to the crusades with my childhood friends.

These highly abstracted discussions are pretty meaningless.

I don't get this outlook or why it's so prevalent on Holla Forums.

Games are both an evolution of, you know, actual games, as well as of storytelling mediums. Wanting a video game to protiize gameplay and not worry about extra bullshit is completely valid, but so is wanting a video game that builds on movies as a strorytelling medium that also just adds interactive elements.

Both are completely valid as long as the end result is entertaining and isn't overpriced. Asura's Wrath is, IMO, a good example of the latter: It's basically just an interactive anime, but it also wouldn't work just as an anime since it uses QTE's and some gameplay stuff to do ideas that wouldn't work purely in normal anime.

There is nothing that indicates that a game should be a storytelling medium. The video in video games measly works as a visual response device, if it was a storytelling medium it would be more deservedly called cinematic game or interactive novel. And with the video being used as a visual response, a story in a video game is ideally fully emergent or customizeable, and therefore adheres fully to it's purpose as a part of the video presentation. Cinematic video games, or those with a rigid storytelling, strictly going by the technical definition of video game itself, are not good video games.

Except if somebody wanted to make a cinematic game or interactiive novel or interactive movie, their options for how to make it would, be, get this, video game engines.

Because you have an arbitrarily limited definition of what a video game is just because you are getting autistically caught up on the name "video game"

I think the proper word there would be "melancholic".

Gameplay isn't really everything, not everything has to be built around it. Sometimes the story, the atmosphere, the feeling is enough to keep you playing.

How is this relevant? Game maker used to be a animation studio software and adobe flash can be used to develop video games.

Cinematic games are also video games, but a good video game would have an emphasis on the game aspect, because the definition of the name itself is game in video format. How many times should I explain this? Like, for example, food. Food can be useful in more than one way, from being recycled to be used as fertilizer to being thrown as a weapon. But is it arbitrary if I tell you that the main purpose of food is to be eaten?

For SNES too.

hooktube.com/watch?v=eBWGP2do5sM

It's nothing like M&B?

Tch…yeah. It's even better.

Souls games.
King's Fields.
Gothic.
Tes 3: morrowind.
Kingdom comem

You want a paradoxical game?

Medieval Total War really is unstable on modern systems though. At least it was for me, things like crashing at the end of a turn/battle. It's really annoying because it was my favorite Total War Game. But again, I haven't played shogun 1

He wants a get set in medieval times where he explores ruins from antiquity.

Maybe he means gothic horror.
Medievial people used to explore the ruins of Antiquity.
Medievil ruins used to be explored by the people of the Victorian Age.

Kingdom Cucks have the self-awareness of fucking goldfish
It's a generic WRPG nigger get off your high-horse

Medieval: Total War 2 isnt that bad though and if you play it with the "Stainless Steel" mod it's goat and best Total War gaem ever.

Shitstorm aside, that's pretty much exactly what OP is asking for.

don't say that too loud, the cumcucks will start outing themselves and defending vavra

Those posts are almost exactly as old as I am.

Thief has quite a few levels like that. Huge old catacombs connected to a big cave complex, the ruins of an ancient city, the ruins of an abandoned town, and abandoned church. It also has a bunch of fan missions as well. Even the things aren't abandoned or ruined have fantastic design and atmosphere.

Are you a 500 year old vampire loli?

nah shill

How about The Talos Principle? World V is a medieval setting

That's exactly what Kingdom Come is, and exactly what he's asking about. He could play a poacher, hunting illegal game all day in the woods, or be an herbalist gathering pretty flowers and making potions and medicines which actually takes some doing, the alchemy is by hand in game.

Quit being a fag.

Kingdom Cuck is literally Undertale 2.0 lads. It'll take months but eventually they'll fuck off to a hugbox board and then dissolve

Go jump off a cliff

Your complaint is that it's an RPG that isn't made by Bethesda.

Why hate Kingdom Come?

There is also Darklands.

it's popular and we're contrarian

PC gamer gave it 84
Gamespot 80
IGN 80

Those three lone giving such good characterization, score and shilling to it makes me question "no nigger" spammers credibility. It was bait all along, just like with Hatred, except this time around mainstream media shills the game after it was poured with shit for no POC. We don't live yet in times where everyone is brainwashed to believe niggers lived in europe during 15 century. Its all just anger bait that only risen up interest to the game all around.

All arguments about KCD are:

Its unplayable mess that only top tier PCs can handle and basically 2018 crysis. Bugs and glitches are only addition to open world garbage every modern game is, but the real problem lies in its artificial length and everything in the game being made "longer" to amplify game's artificial longevity. Waiting is slow as fuck, fast travel is slow as fuck, the game itself is like around 20 hours and size of skyrim, and at level 10-20 you will become impenetrable god and be one hit killing everything since developers didn't think of the balance past level 10. Not to mention sieges are just as bad as skyrim civil war and look dumb as fuck since entire game is balanced around 1 on 1 fencing and treats battles very poorly.
Cherry on top of that your devoted benevolent catholic character who isn't changeable in his character even if he pillages villages and steals from everywhere. And tons of fucking cutscenes that will make you feel like watching a movie, even less interaction with them than in damn witcher 3 that felt like fucking tv series.

That is the most embarrassing way to out yourself and remove all credibility of your post, by establishing you don't understand how official and unofficial review scores are viewed. 80 is the lowest they could possibly go before destroying their credibility since anything below 80 is considered shit.

It's not awfully optomizxed, it's just buggy as shit. I have it running, 27 tabs of firefox, and a fucking Early Access game that IS badly optomized all running at the same time on a computer multiple years old with hardware that people have specifically warned about not running the game well. Fuck off with this stupid "everything is a advertising conspiracy meme."
But you'll ignore anyone who says that, won't you?

the fact that the grammar is bad in this post and the fact that this looks straight-up copy-pasted makes me laugh
back to Holla Forums pajeet, you'll get more rupees there.

Alchemy in this game is a great source of its artificial longevity, you can survive without it. Instead of wasting time making one potion you can wait for a bit for merchant to restore their potions and buy their shit instead.
Picking up flowers is the worst shit, the long animation when Henry picks them up in third person is annoying as fuck, but if you levelup herbalism it turns into annoying mechanic when you watch a guy picking up flowers every 10 seconds and then throwing hundreds of them away to free space. Removing weight and turd person animation would at least improve it a bit, but otherwise its a self torture with brainless task that adds nothing to the gameplay.

And lastly poaching you mentioned - animals don't react to arrows that hit near them, nor the ones that hit them. They can just stand there or walk left/right while you sticking your arrows in their dead ai, and then collect loads of meat yielding ton of money if you have a horse to transport it. Hunting worse than skyrim shit, at least deers reacted if they got an arrow in the head. In this gay shit my deers ignored arrow in the fucking eye and continued eating. Animals run only when you run into them and stealth is more broken than in bethesda games. There's absolutely no challenge in hunting in this game.

Animals exists so you can actually get your bow skill up, because it's impossible to hit anything at the beginning. If they ran when missed arrows went near them the bow would be functionally useless. Moreover, it's still fun regardless to stomp through the woods and hunt animals, despite you bitching about how it's not realistic, since simply getting through woods is fun in of itself because the atmosphere is great.

Now that's what i call damage control.
The game has a problem -> No its not actually problem
In a game that was created by a sperg who was sperging out that everything should be realistic.

I am convinced you're dev or at least bought the game for real money.

The game eschews realism when it would make for shitty game play otherwise. There's a ton wrong with the game, but complaining that they added a minigame and claiming it's "artificial longevity" is absolutely fucking retarded. Yo uclearly didn't like the game because it was never going to appeal to you, otherwise you would have complained about then myriad of issues that are impossible to avoid if you play it for any length of time, like it taking up to ten seconds to load up any conversation with a random NPC, or convincing people not to attack you, only to have their hostile AI override everything and attack you again.

Yeah, yeah you IP hopping faggot so far all you've done is wait for the Anons actually playing the game to voice their opinions then you immediately exaggerate everything and ignore explaining how this came about. The two guys complaining the most about the animation was fucking grinding the herbalist skill and picking up as many fucking things as they can in as short a time as possible. That 4 second animation is going to get old fast when you do that, you call the alchemy artificial longevity but it's obviously just pure immersion autism but so far nobody has really complained about it besides the fact that it's just following recipes aka "it's not Morrowind spellcrafting complexity" and you can't adjust potency or accidentally kill yourself with poison ala basic chemistry.

Warband.
Stronghold.

Huh, it was weird seeing a number that large on the year-end again.

I'm convinced that's it. The contrarian vidya hipsters don't like it because it did pretty well commercially, surprising literally everyone. Combine that with all the butthurt SJWs, in game journalism or elsewhere, pissed that the game is doing well and there we are. And the tried and true tactic of calling everyone who doesn't shit nonstop on everything a shill, like that tiny studio could afford shills. Or that they'd shill here instead of reddit where it's less time consuming and would reach a larger audience.

So it'd be best to wait for now?

its become very apparent the game has a dedicated marketing force behind it.

For dumb burger - maybe.

Christ for a game you don't like you sure talk about it all the fucking time.

I complain about many games in many threads. I'm sorry if my criticism interrupts your circlejerking rite.

Weird that I can make people online mad just by having fun while playing a video game.

yeah it is and it doesnt even look that good
getting 40 fps on ultra on gtx1070 is bullshit

Again, this game is entirely CPU bottlenecked. You can play this game on like a 960. Why have you niggers not figured this out yet? "B-but muh graphics card is so cool!" Fucking use Jewgle at least.

There's no way to optimize away the horrendous pile of shit the Graphics Synthesizer was.

exactly,
and whos fault is it for fucks sake?

The devs, but I'm sick of people posting "I have a 1080 and this game runs poorly. What's the issue?!?!?!"
There are things you can do to mitigate it once you realize where the problem is. Hint, it's the goddamn object physics.

I would say so. I've had a great experience so far, but there's a number of people reporting accidentally locking their game progress by screwing up quests and stuff. The game in it's release state would be worth 40 dollars, but not the full 60.

Reminder the "Holla Forums hates games!" meme comes from Redditors with paper thin egos who can't stand any type of criticism towards the latest garbage shat out

We don't hate it, we take a game less than a week old with this level of viral marketing force and fanboy level cocksucking with a grain of salt
I also notice a lot of posts with superfluous language such as this cocksucking retard right here that outs himself for being incapable for simply stating the existence of a video game to someone he's telling to fuckoff

>>We're not allowed to like a high quality game if people I don't like it as well
Nice assertion that nobody else agrees with outside of the hugbox brah