Non Nintendo mascots & console I.Ps

Why didn’t Sony fought to keep crash Bandicoot and Spyro the dragon as PlayStation mascots or exclusives? Giving up Lara Croft is one thing. But crash was advertise as the PlayStation one mascot. We can’t pretend Microsoft lack of exclusives and mascot characters didn’t hurt the Xbox one. Bayonetta not a official Nintendo character yet she gets treated with more respectfully than how Microsoft treated Conker and Battle toads. Also where the new Infamous and killzone?

Are you retarded?
Master Chief
You're an absolute retard

retard

Mascots move merchandise and help with brand recognition

Microsoft tried to replaced him with a black guy no one liked. Microsoft now has no face beyond Having PUBG as a console exclusive for a year

Crash bandicoot was the face of PlayStation and helped move units.

So far PS4 is the highest selling console without Crash or Spyro games

Sony still has exclusives for PS4.

Tomb Raider was never a Sony exclusive.

OK let me break it down for you. The first three Crash Bandicoots were made under a contract between Naughty Dog and Universal. Universal had a publishing deal with SCE to publish the games, so basically for the length of that contract, Sony owned Crash but Universal owned Naughty Dog. After Crash Bash, that contract ended, and some how it turned into Sony owning Naughty Dog and Universal owning Crash. Sony could have easily bought Crash along with Naughty Dog, but they chose not to because they wanted to save money and they thought Naughty Dog could make another mascot for them, which was Jax. Of course, they let that die off for no reason too.
Spyro is in basically the exact same situation because he came out of an identical contract between Insomniac and Universal.

Go back to >>>/cuckchan/

No they fucking don't, not anymore
These ain't the 90s and most people who owned a PS1 don't even know Crash and most who owned a PS2 don't know Jack or Sly.
What the fuck are you talking about?
They never had one nigger
Neither does Sony, neither did Atari
Bullshit
Bullshit, Crash had a cult following after his success, it never went beyond that unlikr Sonic or Mario.
You're fresh out of cuckchan aren't you?

With no mascots you nigger

The whole point of halo 5 is replacing master chief like how Disney tried to replace the x-men with inhumans.

Only reason people play Overwatch still is because of the characters. sonic and final fantasy character still keeping sega And Squrare Enixx brand names alive

I think Sony could have done more to maintain interest in the very young audience. It was perfectly fine to retire spyro/crash as Playstation Icons as the next generation slotted sly cooper, ratchet & clank, and jak and daxter as playstation brands but they didn't really maintain this too well in the following generation. It goes without saying that they haven't really succeeded with the ratchet remake or knack or little big planet.

I think the playstation brand strategy could be solid if it could maintain a few series of games for younger audiences. as well as the current library.

Truth be told, it's because there's no real competition to ASSFAGGOTS.
TF2 killed itself, and all its pro-scene left toward the former.

BUT, Overwatch is relevant, mainstream media wise, due to their slutty characters, that's for sure
Even you can see it with Paladins, there's not much, but artists make r34 of it
Lewdness sells

Even if they did maintain a series with a more general audience they'd be hard pressed to find a developer to pull it off considering everything now either has to be ultra serious or overly ironic. You can't make genuine fun without being laughed at in the industry.

Funny enough. Ash from rainbow six siege looks younger in outbreak and wears tighter pants. Even though outbreak suppose to be the newly form team rainbow. I don’t know what’s funnier. Ash looks younger and more slutty. Or it’s canon that team rainbow fought alien zombies now.

I dunno, on the other hand having a long running mascot tends to get stale, like Sonic and Mario. Replacing Crash and Spyro for Ratchet and Jak was a good idea, the problem is that they didn't do the same thing for the PS3/4 gens.

not really man. every time something has mario on it's name people turn their sight on it, same with final fantasy, sonic (for whatever reason, mostly hope i guess) and so on, it's brand recognition. and about ratchet, that ip got the same treatment crash and spyro did, sat on the fridge way too long, people eventually forgot it was there, nothing really outstanding with them on the cover ever came again so the suits said fuck it. kind of the same shit metroid had going after other m, they even let the 25th anniversary go to waste when they usually rehash and milk it hard on those occasions.

Must be, to think that Lara Croft was on Sony consoles first.

Naughty Dog and Insomniac were independent companies that entered into three-game contracts to create games for Universal Interactive Studios. These games being Crash and Spyro. Sony had the publication rights for these games, but Universal was always the copyright holder, and Naughty Dog and Insomniac were just employees.

After Warped, Naughty Dog extended their contract with Universal for one more game, and made CTR, but after that, they were bought out by Sony, were no longer an independent company, and would no longer be making games for Universal. When Insomniac's three-game contract was also up a year later, instead of resigning with Universal, they signed a contract to make a bunch of games for Sony, though were not wholly bought out by them.

Universal made one more Crash game on PS1 after Naughty Dog was bought by Sony, and this game was also published by Sony, like the previous four. So Sony still has the publishing rights to all the Crash and Spyro games on PS1, and this is why you haven't seen them on other platforms, even though they obviously could have been ported over the years. I wonder if the N. Sane Trilogy sidesteps this issue, and in effect gives Universal Interactive Studios (who were since bought out by Vivendi, who was since bought out by Activision) the rights to publish the original Crash games (albeit completely remade) on other platforms. But They seemed to work closely with Sony in making this, so perhaps Sony didn't let them do that.

Sony evidently figured that Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank would do as well as Crash and Spyro. Ratchet probably got close to Spyro, but while Jak 1 was Crash in all but name, Jak II focus testers told them the Crash formula was too childish, so they started down other paths that eventually lead them to just making SJW movies with no gameplay.

Sony just doesn't care about this stuff. They also had Ape Escape, but they just shat out a bunch of minigame collections instead of main entries and then they stopped doing those too. Sly Cooper is maybe getting a tv show which would probably mean another game but after the Ratchet movie's failure they are being very cautious about it. Sackboy works better as a mascot than a playable character but they never really put it up front and center in marketing. It says a lot that a fictional businessman became a more popular mascot for that console than the character they seemingly intended to be one.

Probably because they wanted to distance themselves from Nintendo's kiddie image with "more serious" games or some shit.

They already released it and didn't bother advertising it apparently because I didn't even fucking know about it releasing.

SONY never had foresight or LONG vision. They never think 10 years later. They only see as far as the next year.

The fact VITA version of games were making the most money for indie devs before the SWITCH came along shows how bad SONY drops the ball. IF the VITA had used standard SD cards it would have been a success. But they again have no LONG VIEW of anything.

They almost got it right with making demons souls exclusive and Bloodborne. But then they never bothered to do much beyond that.

They sure did

Might be back in the day Sony was trying to distinguish themselves as the mature gaming alternative to Nintendo's kiddy image. You can't rebrand like that if you have a cartoony animal as your mascot.

Im talking about securing exclusives you fucking mouth breathing cunt.

Jak & Daxter played almost exactly like Crash but with no loading screens (almost). Daxter is obviously a Crash-type mascot, same color scheme and everything. The Jet Ski levels from Crash 3 became the zoomer levels in Jak. The T-Rex from Crash 3 became the Flut Flut. Jak II was going to be the same type of game, but focus testers told them it was lame, and to make it more like GTA III and other edgier games that were popular at the time. So they did. Ratchet & Clank started down the same path, with the third game adding needless tacked on multiplayer at the expense of a shorter single player with worse levels (since many were made for multiplayer), and then the fourth game being a straight up multiplayer focused shooter. But then they went back to basics with at least the first PS3 game.

Sly was never as big, and Ape Escape was seemingly only as big in Japan, and Sony didn't even care to release all the games here.

Agreed completely. I live in Toronto, where the metropolitan area has a population of 6.5 million, and I had to go to a special theater at the heart of downtown where they show local indie stuff in order to see it. And I only knew about it because I'm a hardcore fan of the series and the creators.

Also didn't help that the movie was very mediocre, but it's better than all the other CGI shit pumped out by Illumination or Sony's in-house animation studios.

Naw, because the PS1 already decimated the N64. They didn't need to worry about that by the time the PS2 rolled around and Crash and Spyro fell by the wayside.

Sony can't make good games or keep them. They rely on ports and they like it that way.

Literally because it had no competition. Now the Switch is doing better than it did.

But many good Sony exclusives have been posted in this thread.

The real issue is that it's post-2007 and good games have stopped being made in general.

Yeah but they no longer make them. They don't keep their good games.

Yeah, nobody makes good games anymore. You're lucky if you get one actually good game per year. The best you can hope for are games that seem good in comparison to new shit, but which turn out to be garbage if you compare them to something from 20 years ago.

For better or worse, Sony wanted to set themselves apart from Nintendo and Sega, and part of that meant not having a true, "official" mascot.

Consider that if Sony fought to keep Crash Bandicoot or Spyro, we may not have Jak and Daxter the Uncharted games and TLoU were fine but I could live without them or Ratchet and Clank.

R&C is still going to this day, and I think that's the closest thing Sony had to a proper mascot, but I feel like they might have fucked everything up with that dumb movie they made a few years ago. The game wasn't bad but it was inferior to the original in almost every way besides the gunplay.

They still manage to wiggle some good things out, like gravity rush 2. Their funding strategies have undeniably helped get some good third party games made. I'd like to see them do more contract work as I think this is the best thing about the game industry, period.

But you called OP a retard first, you silly-billy.

Steam And Switch going to take the weeb game market from vita in a year or two. Middle market only exist om PC and switch at this point. Sony could’ve prevented this

Here is the thing, Sony doesn't need mascots because the Playstation console family is the biggest success ever in the console market history.
The first Playstation was the second most sold console in history and easily beat the N64 and the Sega Saturn.
It is only eclipsed by the Playstation 2, which is the most sold console in history and easily overshadowed the new Xbox and left Nintendo's Gamecube in the dust.
They got somewhat into a slump at the beginning with of the seventh console generation with the Playstation 3, but at the end of the seventh console generation everyone was wondering why they brought a Wii or Xbox 360.
Now its the eight console generation and once again the Playstation 4 is the most sold console world wide, with the Xbone being a joke and the Switch only coming out after Nintendo failed with the Wii U.
That doesn't mean Sony doesn't fuck up a lot and they do a lot of stupid shit, but by the end of the day they do less bullshit than Nintendo or Microsoft and concentrate on what a video game console is.

An underpowered PC with no worthwhile exclusives and paid online?

Not an argument you prolapse eating ball fondler.

I didn't state he was a retard
I simply asked