Both graphics and gameplay

What games in your opinion sport both great current gen visuals and engaging interesting gameplay?
I finally upgraded my GPU and am ready to move on from emulation and online grinders.

Other urls found in this thread:

geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

None as the current gen is pure stagnation.

I mean there was this tameem's piece of shit that was applauded for having photorealistic visuals, aren't there games like that, but also not shitty walking sims?

Did you just upgrade from a toaster into something that can play modern vidya, or did you have a big upgrade to play all modern AAA titles with SWEET GRAFFIX? If it's the first then yeah I can recommend some stuff, if it's the latter then I got nothing.

fnv

EXCELLENT

kek agrees!

No, unless you like racing games.

Best you can hope to get is stuff like Final Fantasy 15 and that Kingdom Come game.
But one is a JRPG and the other is a Skyrim style game, so don't expect that much on the gameplay department.

Powerful PCs nowadays aren't to run games with the latest graphic advancements(you can play those, but they suck as games). Powerful PCs are to run very unoptimized good games, like Nioh, or use new emulators to run the good games that are stuck on shitty semi-recent consoles.

Also, post a speccy screencap if you want serious recommendations from anons.

I don't follow the difference.
Just gib me fun games that are demanding yet fun, since chances are that shit I could run on a goddamn 760 I already played.

Beautiful digits, user.
Though I played New Vegas to death years ago. And it looked like shit even on release, let's be honest.

Ah, the only good 3D Fallout. A shame that it was hamstrung and crippled in development, and nearly smothered in the crib. The expansion packs are pretty damn good, too. I think I should reinstall it, but I'll have to re-learn how to deal with mods, as a few that removed invisible walls, fixed the fucking radio, and other tweaks are MAJOR quality of life improvements I can't do without.

Tell me about Nioh user, is it fun? I remember reading it having some pretty high requirements, so I skipped it.

It goes without saying I meant with mods, and an enb. Then it looks nice and pretty. Especially if you can handle the 2k-4k textures.

Get mod organizer imo. Makes modding a lot easier and safer.

Witcher 3 tbh

>>>Holla Forums

checked

guilty gear xrd
unist
tekken 7

Didn't it have some arkham combat?
I never finished W1 and 2 either, so I dunno.

What

+R>Xrd

Alright

I can run it at a decent framerate and your PC is beefier than mine. The game is really good, it may be on my top ten favorite vidyas of all time.

Yeah, combat is average but most everything else is excellent, despite what the contrarian faggots here on Holla Forums say.

I played DD, it's not demanding at all. Same as Dark Souls 1 and 2.
I'll look into other shit.
Nioh looks like some high priority target.

It alright.
It's like Dark Souls but for real this time.
It is divided by different stages rather than a continous map and has diablo style random loot.
This format is worse than Dark Souls in my opinion but I guess it is better for endgame play.

Good shit.
Dragon's Dogma doesn't even need a good PC, masterfully optimized.

Are you for real? Sounds like my dream game.
Unless it's some half assed shit like that low poly dark souls clone which name I forgot, that only have like 3 tilesets and 6 enemy types.

There's a resolution pack on the nexus for it though if you want better graphics. Enbs were made for it as well, for that extra bit of aesthetics.

I watched some quick vids and Nioh seems like game I'll be playing this week, maybe more.
There is a dedicated thread, so I'd rather not turn this one into a dupe.
You're still welcome to suggest more games.

Nah, it's cool.
Lemme exapand on the weapon system.
There's only about 6 different weapons types, each with a skill tree.
Every weapon of the same category has the same moveset, but you have three, stances that you can interchange freely(high for slower, stronger attacks that drain more stamina, medium for more balanced moves, and low for more agile and less damaging attacks with lots of mobility).
You can sort of customise your moveset with different skills you can learn and they differ for each stance too.
The weapons come with random bonuses and a rarity rating, that influences it's final stats. There's a forge where you can manipulate those.

Be sure to buy it to play online if you plan on playing it a lot, there's a bunch of content locked behind online battles or something like that.
I don't know exactly what those is because I pirated it.

life is strange pretty good game

So there is caveat after all, well stances system looks like a compromise on low moveset variety.
Is it story/lore heavy? Can I get spoiled if I get into Nioh general? I played Dark Souls 1 blind, and that game has some heavy ass spoilers despite barely having any direct story.

Nice one.

Any game is better if you just go and play it without any prior knowledge. If you already know you're gonna play it, I say avoid threads.

The weapon system looks like it's gonna be bad at first, but it just means you're gonna have greater variety within the weapon you'll choose to "main". Also, you can have two weapons equipped and change them anytime, with no equipment weight for both of them at the same time like in Dark Souls.

ok, enjoy your shit games

Nioh sucks dude, really. Don't waste your time, it's exactly like you said, boring levels and 6 enemy types lol

He's right though, games like FNV, Stalkan and Kingdom Come make have decent visuals that don't try to compromise depth.

That's what we lack nowadays, games that have good visuals but don't compromise depth in the process.
RPGs especially

The story of Nioh is "alternate timeline Sengoku era + demons", literally. If you've played any other games set in the Sengoku era, there won't be much new in story department for you, other than some wacky characters and a terrible villain.

(((Current gen visuals))) are a scam. Who even really cares about that shit? There are more pre-2007 games than I could play in a lifetime. Kikes can keep their overpriced gpus and their shitty modern vidya.

so you're saying you don't want to experience the newest assassin's creed in 4k? man you're missing out

I liked snekdude just because of his almost permanent shit eating grin. He's not some big gray character with depth and intelligence, he's the kind of villain who's fun to hate.

on consoles, yes. As far as graphically advanced games on PC its usually the console multiplats which aren't very graphically interesting or refreshing. Nothing that really looks as good as the nu uncharted games, horizon zero dawn, things like that.

OP, I think you've been misled by reddit or other sources (e-celebs?). the point of a fast gaming PC is not "muh master rayccceee", it's never having to worry about if you have the hardware to enjoy a game. my machine is pic related and I think the most demanding thing I've played lately is Warframe (which isn't demanding at all – it sure does look nice at 120 FPS in 4K, though). there's no reason to play games just because they're visually lush; you should enjoy the games for what they are not because they're OMG SO ADVANCED.

that said, the games you're looking for are Shadow Warrior (2013) and especially Shadow Warrior 2.

I was going to post an SW2 screenshot but one 4K screen is literally 18MB, lemme see if I can compress it further

stop using PNG for a picture that has more than 8 colors.

I am extremely sensitive to JPEG artifacting. even quality-100 JPEGs have visible artifacting that fucks me up, I hate looking at it.
I'd use a more modern format like webp but this board doesn't support them

that said, this image refused to go below 16MB so here's a max quality JPEG instead

just don't be autistic, then. Nobody else cares. Looking at the blade of the sword in borderlands 3 there tells me the devs didn't even care about 4k. Those normals look horrible.

Shadow Warrior 2 is horrendously optimized. Something as simple as looking at a statue with nothing special going on in that hub section was enough to use up 100% of my cpu, I look away to a more visually complex area and it's back to like 25%. It's the only game I have that does this.

You're asking for something anachronic.
You want us to post a roman soldier wielding a firearm.

Here's your roman soldier wielding a firearm.

generation also applies to PC as well and there's several distinct ways to apply them to the PC, GPU, API, CPU, Windows generations, etc.

heh, that's normal. it means you are GPU-limited. your CPU usage is low in other areas because your GPU is the limiting factor in those areas. when staring at a statue in an empty area the GPU is rendering a very simple scene so your CPU becomes the limiting factor.

ideally you would have near-100% CPU and GPU usage at all times. however, there are many reasons why that does not happen.

in general, in the absence of limiting factors like Vsync, your game will try to run as fast as possible. this is a delicate balancing act of work between the CPU, GPU, RAM, video RAM, and other components. at any given moment something will be the limiting factor – it could be CPU compute, it could be CPU fetch/decode, it could be GPU compute (rare), it could be GPU texturing or raster (ROPs), it could be CPU memory bandwidth or latency, it could be GPU memory bandwidth or (very rare) latency. on loading screens you are often I/O (storage)-bound.

when that thing holding you up is no longer the bottleneck, the next thing will be holding you up. this doesn't require hardware changes or new software, it can change from frame to frame depending on the demands of the game. this is actually why raw FPS measurements are kind of a bad way to look at game performance, because it's possible (due to the sub-1-second nature of game performance) for one machine to provide a higher FPS rating (even minimum) and yet still provide a worse experience because of judder and runt frames.

I actually am a huge nerd on this topic and could talk about it for hours but the end take-away for people like you is stop fucking panicking when your shit hits 100% utilization, that isn't a bad thing and all it means is that you're hard-limited by that component (which itself is not necessarily a bad thing.)

For some reason, SW2's mission-based structure really put me off. Which is weird, considering that I enjoyed it in Nioh.

Just stop posting

it's definitely not as good as the first game, but I enjoyed the new weapons. I didn't actually say this in my other post here but SW2 is not poorly optimized at all and I enjoyed how well it ran given how nice it looks. I also really enjoyed a lot of the environment design.

another game OP might enjoy is Fallout 4. I know it's popular to hate on it on these boards and it's certainly a failure as a Fallout game (speaking as a huge fan of the second title) but it has its own merits. I really enjoyed playing around with the base building system and the fact that NPCs can automatically path their way through it is really impressive. with some graphical tweaks the game can look really nice, too.

check out nvidia's guide for FO4 visual tweaks here: geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

in particular go down and check out the difference that increasing the uGridsToLoad setting makes. it's really quite astonishing, although it does make the game require drastically more RAM. I had it using almost 15GB at one point (!), not that this is a problem for my Wintendo.

my wife bought horizon, we played it to completion together and returned it for amazon credit within the return period. was not impressed with the game. it even has worse grass physics than BotW and that game ran on the Wii U. it's not a good game and it's not technically impressive. I legitimately don't understand the hype around it. NuDoom is more impressive.

Sony brand loyalty
You would be surprised at the amount of manchildren that use brands as a way to form their identity like the good goys they are.
Marketing plays a huge part as well, we even have retards pretending to know what they're talking about to sell their favorite brand.

get_out_of_here_stalker.webm

< сука, блядь, пошел нахуй с моего бесконечно-чана! я тут единственный "сука, блядь"!
А серьезно, что за провайдер, что допускает на данный рассадник "лолей" по мнению росреестра?

Go liberate your wife Ivan

heh. I also suspect some of it is political, with how the game subtly pushes its agenda. I don't have a problem with STRONK WOMYN in games (picrelated) but every single aspect of the game seems like it was tailored to earn brownie points with the social justice squad.

Downright to the voice actors
Ashley Burch voices the MC

yes, uncharted and horizon zero dawn both look better than whatever it is you just posted

Yeah, it's far from a good game. The entire thing plays like it has no idea what kind of game it's trying to be and the best moments are fighting any sort of new machine but the game sure knows how to make it tedious as time goes on. It still looks better than anything else out there despite this, Guerrilla only seems to know how to churn out good tech.

MGSV, at least I'm assuming it's good if your turn everything all the way up.
Dwarf Fortress

I posted an RTT made by a bunch of Frogs with a shoestring budget
It's scale is bigger than anytjing Horizon Zero Dawn could pull off
Except Battlefield/Battlefront, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Crysis exist.

those 10 year old games look pretty 10 years old kid
someones typing angrily

Pathetic

Thanks for reminding me that he exists. Anyone have the copypaste of him reminiscing? I read it in his voice every time.

Oh yeah, almost forgot
Desperate

It looked alright, perhaps I'm spoiled to PC games; in particular I thought the texturing was really bland especially on characters, and I thought the animation of human characters (specifically facial animation, but also in general) was really poor overall.

is off his rocker but Crysis is competitive with most current-gen games and specifically comparing to HZD, Crysis 3 looks miles better in every regard. of course it's a simpler game, but it also came out 5 years ago. whatever the case I do think way too much has been made of the visual fidelity of HZD especially considering it struggles to maintain 30 FPS in most cases even on PS4 Pro.

actually another game with great visuals and fun gameplay is Dying Light. like many recent games it suffers from an overuse of post-processing particularly the film grain noise filter visible in this screenshot, but you can disable it at least

WiC, SupCom, stalker, crysis are indeed 10 year old games. Battlefield/battlefront are especially shit games, a little weird to bring them up when you're talking about how shit horizon is.
still running on 2007 tech and looking like 2007 games.
smaller than horizon

agreed, although the design and animations of the machines was the best part. It seems like its all they put effort in, or at least had the most competent people working on it. Just seems like typical eurojank, no clue which direction to actually take the game in.

not a fan of all the color filters they're doing. I think it distracts from the actual definition of the models, textures and the lighting. I think the only game I've seen make decent use of them for a sort of mood shift is the original Nier.

It's not even the texturing, some places are just so poorly designed they look like fucking Elex.

You're using interactive movies like Uncharted and HZD to prove that consoles push refreshing and photorealistic graphics
Oh, so now the quality the games matter?
You're the goalpost moving hypocrite shitter here mate, not me
Embed related
A slight res bump on decent looking games is enough to make HZD look like shit
Now this is shitposting

Go back to reddit faggot.

lol, they do by the way
the point
your head
wow looks like things have only gotten more contrasty and bloomed out since CCC became the only crysis optimization/improvement mod worth caring about 10 years ago. Still looks like a 2007 game. Nice youtube video by the way, gotta love all that artifacting even on 1080p60 playback.
now this is irrelevant, take your eurojank and kill ya self faget

Nicely done, more goalposting moving please, you're an hilarious retard
Just like HZD
It sure is, having a shitton of FX going on at all times with dynamic maps is totally irrelevant to visuals
Oh look a redditor

I thought you gave up, here look at how much better this looks than hzd

No such thing.

Yes of course. Truly the pinnacle of game graphics.
Shitty muddy textures, abhorrent draw distance and absolutely ps2-tier texture filtering is the best graphics we have.
Kill yourself.

Cuckchan tier bait by a cuckchanner
Figures

predictable, and it still looks better than crysis

and you still fell for it, something tells me you're not from here. post more Holla Forumscore, tell me how deus ex's 2027 mod looks better than anything next you stupid faggot fanboy

well, this thread was fun until the retards showed up

what good would a graphicsfag thread be if not for retarded fanboys hoping you take their 10 year old games seriously

Crysis 2 with Blackfire + MaLDoHD 4.0 is probably the best we havve.

Like clockwork

I warned you about brand loyalty bro
Since you liked Shadow Warrior, have you played Serious Sam?

the blur is why i have so much trouble taking modders seriously

Oh so you were already aware that Horizon looks like dogshit.

DoF can be turned off

I'm well aware of Holla Forums memes about potato people, yes
why turn it on at all is the question

No, you faggot.

The latest Deus Ex looks great and plays pretty well too.

What the fuck.
Why not just let the player dick around if he wants to?

Then they'd actually have to add things beyond those invisible walls.

So in other words

Nioh

I miss creative out of bounds enemies

It might have good art design, but it looks pretty bad.

nioh looks better than crysis

How so?

fnv has neither good graphics or gameplay

No shit, it's a PS3 game.

Blocky low res textures and models with lack of detail.
Art design is great, but the whole game also lacks atmosphere and relies too much in padding like recycled levels and too many gimmicky low quality items and bland copypaste environments for content, combat is great but Nioh needed more polish and less garbage content.

Technically, I consider hand drawn animation the next generation of graphics.

The fuck are "current gen visuals"?

To add on to this, I upgraded my video card mainly for 144 fps. Most games I play pre-date 2010.

Good taste
Which I had a monitor with that refresh rate

The gameplay and combat is terrible. Combat is mash button until you win (hit dodge if you see the enemy about to attack).
General gameplay is you watching garth or whatever his name is ride a horse (automatically i might ad) to a destination where you can watch the next cutscene.
It's barely even a video game.

>Unreal Tournament but nobody plays it so just stick with Xonotic
>Die Totenmaske 2.0

Ah the sweet jump into the PC gayman race, you'll soon find the promised paradise is empty and shallow.

tch…found the console peasant

I still don't understand how they make the Metal Slug sprites.
The rules of the Universe say that if you want high framerate animations in pixel art, you must sacrifice detail, but Metal Slug says fuck the Universe.

the limitations were cartridge size and system memory, neogeo had no problem with either because snk wanted to make a premium system.

The limitation is effort.
They must have some technique to speed up the creation or make it easier.

That was called money and professional artists,

effort, tech, and artists as this user said . SNK was in a good position and really had some serious hardware in their system, and the cartridges were insanely expensive for a reason.

retard

To this day the Metal Slug artist is an enigma.

Not an argument

no, retard. They used pencil and paper, had a team working on the creation of the assets, and as time went on they began to reuse a lot of the work from previous games. This shit is well documented, but you're too retarded to know anything about it.

I don't need an argument for retards.

Good job, anything else you'd like to add SIDF?

I'm going to keep calling you retarded, retard. It was my mistake however, I misunderstood your original contribution (however minimal) to the conversation.

Now go back to crying about samefags and ID hops like you so often do.

Sure thing SIDF
So you do this constantly and have had other people rightfully call out your bullshit?
Nice, glad someone else here call out retards for what they are.

Monster Hunter World does fit your criteria, though the gameplay isn't quite as good as previous games. If the PC port isn't completely bungled, it'll look even better on there.

Alien Isolation.
Friday The 13th: The Game.

Look great, plays exactly as the source material.

Deus Ex with GMDX. It's really all anyone should be allowed to play, quite frankly.

I didn't like some of the GMDX changes. Play the original.

you are much better off playing the original game with a few fixes like deus exe. GMDX changes the feel for a lot of areas.

Nice post. I was actually having a similar problem (if you could call it that) when I was playing Nioh. I haven't looked at the numbers but when I was walking down an empty corridor with just one light source coming from an exit to the side, my framerate tanked a little. I killed a few enemies ahead, and the framerate no longer tanked (wasn't that bad but it was noticeable). Thankfully it's one of the few areas where this happened, but I'm guessing the CPU is the limiting factor because killing enemies stopped framerate from dropping in that corridor. I would assume the game is rendering objects ahead and the CPU is struggling to keep up? Running on a 1060 6gb, 4690k, 8gb RAM. Bit of a potato except for GPU.

The game looks pretty enough for me. It would be nice to see the game in actual 60fps instead of around 30-40fps. The G-version would help it out a lot too.

If you're a reductionist faggot yeah I guess so. Too bad the people making the fucking hardware disagree with you.
As for visually demanding games, no. Don't bother. If you're hardware is so good that you are seeking a demanding game, just render shit and appreciate the big numbers, no game's really going to both push your hardware, and not have massively diminishing returns. most new games have shit art direction anyway

FEAR actually had the best graphic in the entire industry closely followed by Starsiege Tribes

There is a lot of old-school tweening involved, just look at that big 8 on the armor, and a lot of parts just move around in XY axis, without being actually animated, like crab's eyes or layers of shooting canon.
Metal Slug's sprites and animatins while still good looking are overrated as fuck.

Jesus fuck.