Good Vidya Knockoffs

Has there ever been a knockoff of a video game that was better than the original game itself?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamestop.com/ds/games/magicians-quest-mysterious-times/73016
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kid Chameleon is better than Mario
Sengoku Basara is better than Sengoku Musou
Nioh is better than Dark Souls

Okami

Better than NES Strider.

I didn't know it was supposed to be a Mario clone until years after I played it. I owned both Kid Chameleon and Super Mario World as a kid and they played so differently that I didn't even notice.

Its aping Mario that's for sure but calling it a clone is going too far.

Crash Team Racing

Holla Forums

Not even close, it's just better than the knockoff of 4chan that 4chan has become.
Halfchan 10 years ago was the best.

lolno

We are at 2009 levels of stagnation, the oldfags have gone hidding and the ultra posters (Superubusu) vanished, the meme production ceased, the newfags outnumbered the initiated leading to months of seeing the same posts of anons educating the new members *again), boards being led to cancerous habits, even as a joke like Holla Forums
2007 and 08 was a lot of drama but produced the last years of decent content before the multicolored template advice dog
Holla Forums has gone to the gutter in terms of naivety and quality in the last year, and let's not even discuss Holla Forums and their backfiring recruitment tactic. But the good thing is that small boards are increasing in quality because those oldfags and jaded posters search for discussion

I forgot how short ago 10 years was. I meant more around '06 era. Chanology was stupid Holla Forums shit in any case.

uuuuuuuuuuuuugh
T I C C

What was it a knockoff of?

My peenus weenus of course!

Holy shit fuck that third image.

did the dog die?

sauce

Does Heretic count or no?

The windshield wiper attack is straight out of Radiant Silvergun and the field-switching mechanic is somewhat like Ikaruga's polarity mechanic (thought it wasn't even the first game to do it), only unlike Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga the game doesn't suck.

gamestop.com/ds/games/magicians-quest-mysterious-times/73016

This one for Animal Crossing.

Raiden was a highly generic shooter aping a number of Toaplan and Capcom shooters that was made in a hurry to deal with the failure of Dynamite Duke, but it became a smash hit because it was better than all of them.

Here's an easy one. Hellsinker is pretty much Touhou but better.

Actually there are a lot of Touhou clones that fit this description because Touhou is so shitty. There's this parody game called Kiwami Shooting that replaces all the sprites and sound effects with Kenshin stuff that still manages to have more exciting and interesting patterns and level design than Touhou.

I think Ronin's a better Gunpoint by virtue of it being an actual game and not a novelty that you go "oh wow what witty writing" for.
In all fairness Gunpoint has great music but anything else gameplay related I feel Ronin did better.

Just about any Diablo clone.

Most likely, no. Dogs are sturdy creatures and can make full recovery even with very severe parasite infestations.

Pretty much every "metroidvania" is better than any official Metroid

Good taste.

Maybe?

Way better than any GTA in every way.
Better story, combat and overall gameplay

Mixing a metroidvania with a bullet-hell might be a good idea but this was not well executed.

laugh at this man.

The best driver knockoff out there

Rivals of Aether is better than any Smash Bros post-Melee. It's just a matter of whether the character designs or its attempt at an Avatar-esque story bother you. Just gonna post the newest character reveal trailer because I'm still not very good at the game and I want there to be more people who aren't as good as me at the game. The actual gameplay starts around 2 minutes in

Late 2014/early 2015 Holla Forums was the revival of pre-Chanology 4chan. I have no idea how things got so shitty so quickly.

Nioh
Darksiders
Darkwatch

Golvellius

Crossposters.

Minecraft

I liked it but the PC version had bugs like the music disappearing and enemies going retarded.
It also could've been a bit longer.

try again kamiya

Sleeping Dogs is better than GTA.

Fucking this. Cuckchanners and redditors need to fuck off forever.

I don't know what does Oriental Empires rips off, but it does a pretty good job at it. Also I liked Sonic All Stars Racing more than any Mario Kart.

I enjoyed it more than Doom, but calling it a knockoff might be too much. It was obviously inspired by Doom, but it has introduced countless new feautures and had a vastly different arsenal and roster.

Is there any good Totalwar knockoff where I can practice my various formations and rear ambushes?

No. There's plenty of war games like Graviteam, but TW is its own genre.

I can't even tell which demographic you are trying to bait.

Eh, Nioh was more Ninja Gaiden than Dark Souls.

nobody on Holla Forums has played the game they just know you're not supposed to like it.

Nice try, Todd

Doom isn't even inspired by the original, it's inspired by a mod of the original, and frankly Brutal Doom is better than NuDoom anyway.

NuDoom's campaign isn't horrible though, and it's better than Doom 3 for sure. Its main weakness is multiplayer, because NuDoom's MP sucks dick.

Namaiki Gal VS Saenai Ojisan by Taihei Tengoku.

Thanks user.

Yeah, the thing is all this sounds like really basic descriptions you'd hear from soneone who's just describing what they can watch on youtube. Nothing about how the game actually feels to play.

Toukiden 2 is better than Monster Hunter World

I wonder who could be behind this post

Nioh is more fun to play, that's for sure. Its far too long though, don't know how much I have left but I've already put fifty hours in. It would be much better if they went for quality instead of quantity. More weapons, more enemies, more thought out maps as there would be no or little to no side mission content.

Still very good and I hope they make a sequel/spiritual successor and tighten up the experience.

I have 63 hours and done almost everything except the DLC, and did a lot of co op dicking around.

No user, the pre-image board days were the best. Text boards = GOAT.

I pirated so miss out on the online stuff entirely.

Maybe I'm nearly done then. Certainly feels like I'm in the last act story wise, just did the two battlefield levels and beat the big guy.

Gigantic Army, which beats the Assault Suit games fresh outta water. Mainly because it's deliciously aggressive. Your melee weapon is a pilebunker which deals more damage than your main weapon, so you can get right into bosses to kill them fast. Controls have been improved so melee is activated on contact, you can lock your firing angle by holding the fire button and strafe while doing so, or just repeatedly tap the fire button to have your firing angle match your movement. On top of that you can wield a giant laser alongside others as your back-up weapon to erase a massive chunk of the boss' HP. Scoring is simple but effective, you get more points for clearing the stage as quickly as possible without taking damage, and enemy score values are minimal. So you gotta KILL FAST and GO FAST. Health pick-ups only restore small amounts of health, while completing a stage only refills your health bar partially. Damage can also be blocked with your shield which has limited durability, and needs to be angled properly in order to reflect incoming shots from above.

The best part is the stage design, which nails a right balance between platforming with the wieldy physics of your mech and enemy combat. Stage 4 opens with this great rush against ground and aerial enemies simultaneously coming in at you before moving on to this midboss putting constant pressure on you by laying down fire via straight lasers and airstrikes. It's great.

It doesn't have the presentation or stage variety of the source material, but it compensates for that with more tight stage design and gameplay.

It's got a healthy dose of onimusha in it too

I can't speak for that other user, but I played nuDoom all the way through. Actually, to 100% completion on Ultra-Violence. Here's my take

It was good. Pretty much the best single-player FPS that's come out of the AAA industry in almost a decade. It was fast, the combat was fluid and enjoyable, the weapons were fun to use, the enemy design was simple but varied enough to keep you on your toes.

BUT.

Now that I've completed the game, I don't really have any desire to try to beat it on Nightmare or try to beat the Arcade mode. The combat got very repetitive after a while, and what wasn't helping was that, even on UV mode, it was too damn easy, and I could only see Nightmare making it harder in boring, predictable ways that don't enhance the challenge so much as they enhance the tedium as you are forced to play cautiously and methodically without any of the fun improvisational flairs that made UV fun.

I'm going to be frank here: I think that enemies turning into health pinatas when you're on death's door was NOT a bad idea on its surface. It allows you to get back into the fight quickly and keep the pace up, which is good. Way better than standard regen health, at any rate. The problem is that it made the game far too exploitable. You run faster than most enemies do, and you're invincible while doing a glory kill. These two factors make it far too easy to never, ever die, and the only times I did die in nudoom were when I fell off a cliff or when I did something I knew was stupid but wanted to do anyway because I was in the game's RIP AND TEAR mindset. There's basically no reason to worry about conserving your health because you can just get your health back off the next enemy you see. Also, once you get the Ammo rune, there's also basically no reason to worry about conserving your ammo since you get it back so quickly, and that includes BFG ammo. All of this serves to make a game that is great to play in the moment, but very shallow. Fun, but not engaging or challenging.

What this game really, really desperately needed was three things:

1. Glory Kills should not make you invincible. These should be rewards for singling out an enemy, not something you get to do constantly. This would also mean that the "make Glory Kills fast" rune would not be completely useless, because then if you really like them, you CAN do them mid combat at decreased, but still existent, risk.

2. More moments like the bridge with more challenge. This is one of the few moments in nudoom that sticks out in my memory, right after you get the double jump boots. You're on a large network of pipes bridging a gap, and have to fight demons while jumping between them. Now, this area was a lot of fun because it involved tons of run-and-gunning while jumping in between platforms to get optimal positioning and dodge enemy fire, but I realize in retrospect that I probably could have just sniped with the HMG. The addition of some fast-flying or long-range demons would have made this a lot more challenging. Unique, challenging combat situations were what the single player was really lacking; most of the big fights in this game took place in bog-standard, Serious Sam-esque combat arenas without much interesting about them.

3. A horde mode. Of all the games that should have had a horde mode, this is the one that most confuses me that it DOESN'T have one. Start with nothing but the pistol and shotgun, upgrade both your arsenal and the weapons in it as you go along, and survive against an ever-more-relentless horde of demons. WHY DIDN'T THIS HAPPEN!? Fucking Titanfall 2 has a goddamn horde, why didn't this game have one?! They should have focused on that instead of the half-assed multiplayer.

Oh, and also a quick shout-out to the story. I was not expecting much out of it, but I ended up enjoying it immensely, both in the worldbuilding and the characterization of the two "human" characters you meet. I wish that it had more conclusions and less sequel hooks, but what can you do. I also wish there were more demon logbooks; I'd like to know a bit more about demon society. Is there any particular reason they're so hellbent (pun intended) on slaughtering all humans? Who was that betrayer who supposedly crafted the praetor armor? Stuff like that. But it was interesting, and the corporatized cult stuff was pure gold in my opinion.

tl;dr it was a very good, but flawed game, and it came out in a year where everything else the AAA industry produced was pure trash so it stood out.

Nightmare mode mostly increases enemy damage and makes them a whole lot more aggressive, though I don't know the exact affected factors nor is there anything on the internet that lists the differences between difficulties. On Nightmare mode you don't want to perform Glory Kills ever, because enemies attack so frequently there that you're bound to get hit by an Imp fireball the moment your i-frames end, which on Nightmare deals 50 HP damage. And enemies drop health when killed normally if you're low on health anyways, so why would you ever Glory Kill during more tense situations? Moreover the health yield of Glory Kills when you're at decent health is not worth it. It's also why you see nobody doing them in Ultranightmare runs, it's too risky and the payoff sucks. If you need ammo, you can always use the chainsaw since there's always enough fuel for it between arenas.

I didn't really care about the story, but I liked when I was able to flip the bird against the voices talking inside my head. Like the screen smash at the intro (granted it's scripted, but I'm a bit more lenient for intros) and being able to walk away from the missus talking to you over the telly when you turn on the radar dish or something. Unfortunately after those moments the game thought it was a good idea to lock you into a room when it was story time, but I just didn't give a single shit about it at all, and I wanted to just kill shit. The stuff you mentioned is mostly found through optional codex logs and audio logs which you could skip, but locking the player in place is not something I appreciated at all. People made it out to be some kind of parody of gritty FPS stories, but the whole thing took itself way too seriously to be even enjoyable. Not that I hope they go the lolsorandumb route in the sequel either.

If you want to see how arena-to-arena combat can be done better, I suggest you play RUINER. It's not perfect either, but it does a whole lot more things to spice up arena encounters which nuDoom didn't even begin to think of.

Eh, I'm not too into twin-stick arcade shooters. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Not sure I understand the implication. Have you ever played a scrolling shooter that isn't Touhou? Turns out it's a pretty solid genre.

Elections

A knockoff if you count collecting power macguffins in a small gated community to be inspired by Super Mario 64.

What did it copy? Its nothing at all like MGS if thats what you are implying, it feels more like Thief or Hitman.

Saints Row 2

I can't think of a Diablo clone that isn't better than Diablo.

CTR and Sonic Kart are both leagues better than their contemporary Mario Karts.

I'd argue that Mario Kart 8 ended up being better than CTR.

Divine Divinity
Grim Dawn
Victor Vran
Path of Exile
Torchlight 1
Torchlight 2

Diablo sucks, user.

Yes that was his point. Note the double negative. I don't agree with him, though. Yes, Nox is better, but only slightly, and beyond that everything else is pretty shit compared to those two.

starcraft is better than warhammer tbqh

diablo is just a clone of gauntlet without the good game play. just play dark legacy and enjoy great level designs and great game play. the rest of the games, including the ones you mentioned, are just for meth addicts.

Oh shit, I completely read that post wrong.

Do you mean Warcraft?

Original Starcraft is definitely way better than 40k. nucraft on the other hand has sunk to 40k's level of bland space-fantasy cartoonishness.

Well I guess I'll spend the night shitposting on Holla Forums instead of sleeping.

I wouldn't call it better than Mario 64. They made it better looking and more polished but threw out the fun and exploitable movement abilities, which have got to be the best thing a collectathon has going for it.

Better than Rogue.

If you're going to bait at least use a proper game.

How the fuck does that happen?

Including Wario Land, a game whose development team was behind Metroid itself.

Fuck off, Todd.

This webm pretty much explains it.