SNES games

What is your favorite SNES GAME
SNES THREAD

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemütlichkeit
tcrf.net/Front_Mission:_Gun_Hazard
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It may not be my absolute favorite, but it's up there.

MOTHER
FUCKING
AXELAY

Flawed, but still a great experience all around. It's at least fun to explore and find the parts of the game that weren't finished, as opposed to most other games, where it's completely depressing.
Faggots are already trying to defend the abysmal remake with "le retro purists won't like da new gaems cus it new defense, as if anyone thought this game was perfect to begin with.

Fuck you, I don't care if it's the cliche answer.

Pffft. You cannot top the remake's new musical score. Superior in every way.

It's like a gay synthesizer had a baby with a bagpipe.

Two favourite childhood games.

whats that game on the right

The guy who did that shitty track doesn't even work on video games, he did a few remixes for Persona 4: Dancing all Night, and it was mainly just him fucking up the opening to Golden.

That sounds like me on the piano.

Metal Marines

You're not doing him any favors, user. That nigger needs books, not vidya.

I wanted him to elaborate and try and entice me to play it, not the title, which is evident by the picture. You're not very bright. the nigger is you.

You know the rules user, an attempt must be made before spoon feeding is requested.

zero chill.
On a Snes thread no less

Friendly reminder Seiken Densetsu 3 is better than 2

All three are great

Just simple racing at its finest and that soundtrack

Up the ante with Customization to keep with the pack, and awesome to play with a friend. Plus really good Soundtrack

Odd ball of the three but very unique, Customization like 2, Unique tracks, and upgrade system that has some crazy stuff. Plus 4 player thanks to it being the only DSP4 chip game

I'm a boring person

Obligatory. Kind of sucks that newer Kirby games didn't follow this formula, but it's probably for the best since they'd probably fuck it up somehow.

Agreed. Some of my other faves are Zelda: LttP, Turtles in Time, FF2/4, and FF3/6.

That sounds like something you'd have to hack the game itself to run. I'd wager that F-Zero might have one.

MEGAMAN X

Absolute favorite? Pic related.
These are runners up.

How did the SNES, of all consoles, end up with more top tier tactical RPGs than any other platform, aside from PC, and why weren't any of them brought to the west?

That sounds like he slapped an unused project file to the lyrics. That's not a mix, that's filler for an album that people would leave in the fucking trash.

Imagine what he's going do to THIS. I'm actually interested to see how he's going to fuck it up, but that's all.

Pretty much all of my favorites have already been posted (Good taste), aside from Earthbound, which I'm sure will be posted eventually, so I had to dig a bit to find something to contribute to the thread.

Damn shame the balance was so out of whack, but was still damn fun nonetheless. I should give it another whirl some day.

snes was the worst system of that gen unless you were one of those dorks that unironically enjoys jrpg's

enjoy your 3mhz cpu and muffled audio, though

MOTHER FUCKING WILD GUNS

The other three in the top five are already posted, what can you do

BSNESGOAT

I have truth on my side, and a strong ally it is

hipster trash

no u

Just a few of my childhood faves.

I discovered Gokujou Parodius a bit later but it's still one of my favorite Konami games.

Honestly it's really hard to go wrong with any game. I think the SNES was the generation where it was much more difficult to find a bad game than it was to find a good game.

Get this hipster trash out of here.

Of course the diaper wearing Earthbound-loving manchild quotes a comic about a 6 year old kid, possibly because he's Nick Bate levels of autistic and fantasizes about being a baby in everything he does in life.

Go cry into your food-stained striped polo shirt you fucking aspie, we're talking about real video games here.

Fucking lol

Go back to tumblr and stay there you filth.

What the fuck is this post.

My nigger. I think a huge part of the appeal is how expressive the sprites were, I feel like it really shaped how I draw even now.

Everyone knows striped polos are the clothing item of choice for the discerning manbaby who will never stop being mentally 7.

I really don't like this game. I don't understand the appeal. Can anyone provide insight into why it is so (((critically acclaimed)))?

/cow/ decided to troll a Holla Forums thread.

epic meta humor. it was the indie game of its time.

You seem very upset someone likes a video game you don't. Have you thought about these emotions affect your quality of life?

Somewhat difficult RPG with an interesting battle gimmick and a 90s cartoon aesthetic. It's not a bad game and nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Because it's "quirky".

That's literally the only argument people have for why it's good. Gameplay-wise it's a complete snorefest. Hard to recommend in comparison to other actually good JRPGs on the system like SMRPG or Chrono Trigger because the gameplay is nothing - it even has an "auto fight" function so that it plays the combat for you (I am not kidding).

Everything about it is the genesis of tumblr.

Just stop. Go away. You're not wanted here.

Though honestly, you won't get much playing it today, since every indie faggot and their mother has been trying to ape this style and you will not be able to disassociate it from shit like Tumblrtale.
Personally, i like it because it's a very chill kind of game, for the most part. Vid related.

It's almost like JRPGs naturally lack good gameplay and have to make up for in atmosphere, music, progression, comfy, etc. It's playing by the same rules. I found the combat to be intense at times and better than a lot of JRPGs and I couldn't care less about hipster faggots who praise it and other games.

Its good to have a "special interest" bud, but you need to get those emotions in check. Many people like many things and if you can't learn to accept that life's gonna be hard on ya, sport. So keep on doing you, but don't be upset when other people do the same, got the idea ace? Explore your special passion and tell the world why you love it, now THAT's being the best you can be champ!

Have you never played Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana or SMRPG? Unlike Earthbound their gameplay is actually fun and challenging. You have to know how the magic and combat system functions in each game instead of wailing on them until some zany "lol random hamster penguins of doom" shit happens.

Earthbound's music is mostly garbage save for one or two good tracks. See vid related.

What the fuck does this meme word even mean? I've seen Gamecube babies throwing it around to describe everything and not ever once providing a concrete definition of what it is.

It's dumb, but it's also pretty much useless since it doesn't use special attacks.
The mechanic itself isn't exactly unheard of in rpgs.

Gotta be this one.

When does this happen in Earthbound? Have you never played Earthbound?

Even NES RPGs had auto fight
Are you fucking retarded?

Moonside, for one thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M

What exactly is lolsorandumb about moonside?

Final Fantasy 6. Liked it better than CT, but the simplistic battle system makes it hard to recommend now. Would rather replay Cyber Knight, ToP, etc. than FF6 today.
F-Zero is still fun. Simpler than the sequels which makes it more fun to pick up and play for a few minutes. No optimal acceleration vs speed settings to relearn etc.

You mean besides all the NPCs speaking gibberish or wacky 4th wall breaking humor, and all the post modernist art and fucking CLOCKS trying to kill you?

I think it gained a cult following in the 00's when it could be easily downloaded and run on emulator. The weird soundtrack, the trippy battle backgrounds, and the shamelessly goofy American theme made it stand out from other games at the time.

I don't think you understand what random means

You're thinking of Magicant. Moonside isn't actually a dream. Ness and kid were fucking around a room smashing paintings and statues while a talking mouse watched them.

I'll bite. How much crazier shit do you think the SNES could have done if it had a full 4.77 MHz like a PC? And, more practically, how much more expensive would it have been?

You're right. Moonside was Fourside on drugs. There's even an NPC that said you were hallucinating the whole thing. Reminder that psychedelic mushroom were still legal in Japan when this game came out.

This. You millennial/GenZ kids just had to be there, so quit trying to retroactively blast this game just 'cuz of one massive faggot piece of shit who totally fucked up the perception of an actually-good game for future generations.

Dunno where you're getting that 4.77Mhz figure.
Going by what you can see from OCing in an emulator (shit breaks on real hardware because other chips expect the main CPU @ stock) probably more faithful arcade ports and faster paced games in general as well as less need for special chips, Genesis wouldn't have had anything on a SNES clocked @ 7.16Mhz.

Just need a decent passive heatsink (by 90's standards) to run the chip at 200% without heat issues, maybe a few R&D stuff to figure out.

Some are better than others, but they're almost never good and the selling point of their games. SNES had some specially boring turn based combat, but still had great JRPGs despite that.
See LIVE A LIVE, abysmal combat system, but great exploration, storytelling, musical score, etc.
And Secret of Mana is an action JRPG, don't compare it's combat to the turn based ones.

Its a hallucination, its still not a real place.

THIS!
But also Skyblazer. Good for a short and fun game. Shitty western cover aside.

I was never super into giant robot stuff, but Cybernator (Target Earth 2 in Japan) was my shit. I loved the music with those chunky bass guitar riffs.

jesus this thread is pure nostalgia, i'm gonna play some goddamn snes today.

and here's my favorite ever, don't even care if it's easy as shit, this game is awesome. i remember my cousin one day showed up with a bootleg cart that didn't save so we went through all 96 exits in one sitting.

holy shit and now i've just realized that the original cover has a blatant lie, there are 96 exits to the stages but not actually 96 different stages, one of them even has 2 secret keys, can't count that shit as 3 different stages!

Needs more cute.

agreed

Chrono Trigger is really overrated. It had some nice touches like how the battle system just flowed right into the exploration of any given map or whatever you'd want to call it.
The difficulty isn't there at least not any more so than Earthbound. The only real thing hurting Earthbound in my opinion was the linearity and lack of anything to do late game which is more modern thing anyway.
Never did do that future black omen run in Chrono Trigger though.

Superior choice. My favorite is still Final Fantasy V.

Surprised to see it on the list, it's a first.

I've played better games but I got this one in a CD with a bunch of roms and emulators and it makes me replay it from time to time. It's short. sweet, and yet not overly easy or difficult unless you abuse a certain spell. The japanese version has harder platforming but the sim part of the game is ruined. It's no wonder they took it out in Actraiser 2.

My nigga, even as a kid I loved that game's art style. I would play the game just to admire the backgrounds and the enemies.

Forgot a picture

Comfy, easy and short.
Perfect for quick replays.
Great soundtrack, controls and graphics keep me playing it again and again.

I still preffer this one besides the DS version because the music doesn't sound like ass.

This was posted in the remake thread.

Honestly, it's different but it isn't butchered like that one was.

LEGIT
Bitches don't even know about the soundtrack to this game. Some of the best in the SNES catalog.

I see your cliché answer and raise you Final Fantasy 3. For me, the title of "absolute favorite" goes to one of the two, but all I can say is that FF3 mattered a lot more at the time, but I'd rather play CT now if I were to replay either, since it's just more mechanically fun than FF.

We gaijin were just too baka for SRPGs, I guess. It was a big loss for us, though. TO and FM were two of my top emulator-only favorites.

lmao. Never heard that term before.

I love this game, but I suck so much at it. Thanks to Umihara Kawase I instantly love any game that has some hook swinging mechanic into it (Like Ninja Cop for GBA, also Lupín the Third and Phantom 2040 on the SNES have it)

I have to beat it someday.

Don't worry user, thanks to the romhacking scene you can play Super Mario World exclusively all your life if you want.

The remake looks pretty fucking good
(noice)
Play Hyper Metroid, user. Do it.

Wasn't it called "Assault Suits Valken" in Nipland?

Now the thread is complete

the super nintendo game is actually the worst traditional cotton as well. its still a great game but everything except maybe the cell phone port of FND is better. god tier soundtracks too, all lovingly composed by the same guy for a decade.

Son I was there. I blew my weekend allowance on renting Earthbound so many fucking times. That's part of the reason I hate it, I could've rented actual good games like Earthworm Jim 2, DKC2, Mystical Ninja or any Megaman X game, instead I wasted it playing this fucking linear slog of a game with no interesting combat and a dumb looking art style.

I couldn't articulate what kept me renting it, because I wasn't exactly having fun, I was just going through the motions of the game looking at the maps and stuff. And now that I'm old enough to see what an overrated pile of shit it was as well as all the fanboys who are coming out praising it like it was the best RPG on the system (it was FAR from it), I'm done pretending it was a good game.

agreed, earthbound is pretty shit. play better RPGs.
-t. someone who sold their copy from their childhood for 200 bucks last year

I'd rather have the 200 bucks to be honest.

It was a good 200 bucks. I put it to better use than having a hipster trophy.

MY GODDAMN NIGGA.

There are people on Holla Forums who prefer Earthbound over mother 3

Axelay is one of the best shooters of all time.
The soundtrack is perfect.

Each successive Mother game was improved over the last one, except in just one aspect: linearity. Let's face it, Mother 3 is pretty linear. It has a chapter system for crying out loud. The game world should've remained as open as it was in the original Mother. So as far as the trilogy goes, EarthBound hits that sweet middle ground.

Shame it only has 4 decent stages. Best is a bit of a stretch.

No thanks fam, I'll play an actually good ROMhack like Legacy or Redesign instead.

It has the best soundtrack at least in my opinion, very unique and alternative. A fantastic blend of pretty much everything while M3 has a decent but rather generic OST by one of the Kirby composers except for the remixes of old songs. Secondly, M3 has too much story and obnoxious characters like Kumatora, as well as a rather politically charged story mode. I wish they had went with the original detective-like story that they planned for Mother 3 (64DD)

←——-
best SNES game
runner ups:

Also, the JRPG's are fun
but why?

Fun, greatly replayable, varied customization for the ship and if you play on hard mode, challenging.
And all the stages are great.

why would you save something like that?

The only bad part of that game was the ninja chapter.

Gameboy version has a better ost

>not superior Panel de Pon with cute fairies and a better final boss theme

>Can anyone provide insight into why it is so (((critically acclaimed)))?

1. Present day RPG setting at the time it was released, which is a rarity.

2. Its made for a specific audience, the whole mother series are unashamed games for kids.
The whole story of Earthbound even if exaggerated is faithfully like a story normal kids would naturally play outside, before electronic entertainment(TV, PCs, Smart Phones ect.) became a big cultural thing.
Hence why so many hipsters and adult children are attracted to it, the Game reminds them of their good experiences during holidays and vacation or lets them experience the normal childhood they never had.

3. Good music, some of the music is literally a copy of several famous songs. One of the reasons Earthbound isn't re released in the USA is that they fear they would not get sued for that now.

They try to express the german concept of Gemütlichkeit: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemütlichkeit
Basically in their eyes the game manages to have such a thick atmosphere, that it creates a time of satisfaction for them and gives them the feeling of a place they belong to.

Ahh I always feel sorry for Lip and her pals.

Lip in Smash when?

I got an SNES for Super Metroid, so I guess this.

Nah, it's a good game but EB challenged me more because shit nigger you're dying better act fast oh shit motherfucker. It's faster and more hectic with the dropping health and without long attack animations.
Completely disagree, it's pretty good even with unconventional weird tunes.
A combination of music, visual style and location depicted that produces a good feeling. It's a strong point for JRPG games, believe it or not.

Fuck you if you don't like this game.

SNES has lots of cool fan translations
this one's pretty fun, it's like Earthbound only I like it better

But yeah, the SNES had such a ridiculous amount of great japanese games its not even funny, only the PS1 even comes close to it.

is this the one with a secret area were you can only enter if you are wear underwear on your head, or was it another snes rpg?

That's what pisses me off about the official English version of the 1st SNES/SFC Goemon game

the one and only

what is that game about?

An RPG where you play as a cute little girl and her friends.

I've only played BoF2, but the localization is probably reason #1. You'd get an item named something like "RQueef" and be like, "Ok, which slot does that go in? …Oh wait, it's a consumable." There's just so much lost in translation that you never connect with the characters. And it's a shame because a lot of the scenario seems to be well-conceived; somebody on YouTube was talking about choice in videogame narratives and pointed to how you could make certain decisions in BoF2, like whether to protect Katt or not, and the story would honor your decision.

You had totally random encounters at a punitive rate, and the only thing for it was the auto command- like people were just shitting all over Earthbound for, but worse. All the bad things about the game you notice right away, so you drop it without getting to fuck around with the fusion system. It's a shame.

The soundtrack wasn't great, which only exacerbated the random encounters. I blame the instrumentation more than the composition, which I think embed related illustrates pretty clearly. The in-game brass is like a drill in your ear, but the songs are totally decent given the right synths.

Also Deis is best snek, but you don't get her until fairly late, either IIRC.

smh fam

FUNKIEST JAMS

Huh. I always liked parts of the soundtrack embed related but was under the impression this was one of those weird visual novels with the jpegs of actors instead of pixelart. I have to play it some time.

Ha! Rifling through (J)s is how I discovered the wealth of Kunio games beyond River City Ransom and Nintendo World Cup. Me and my brother used to play Shoudai on ZSNES for hours. Even after the fan translation came out, we had no idea what was happening in the plot.

I very much appreciated that. Only thing kind of dopey is the super on select but at least it's out of the way of an accidental press.

>

What's the best song in Gun Hazard?

Whichever one had this bit at the end.
tcrf.net/Front_Mission:_Gun_Hazard