Final Fantasy

I was planning on replaying FF7 but i don't know which version is the least changed and fucked up
is the steam version any good?

controls are completely fucked in the steam version. just emulate it

Just emulate the PS1 release
it was the original that most people played.

but you can mod it. :^)

It's alright if you manage to get a controller working. Can't use the D-pad, however, analog stick is what you're getting.

I'm replaying it too, actually. Just got to Cosmo Canyon.

PS1 release with the new re-translation.

The version on psn or the original discs if you still got em there, chief

If you end up playing any version of this, you should also play The Legend of Dragoon.

FFVII was good when it came out, but do you really want to go back to such an archaic system instead of just experiencing it with a modern sophisticated game play system? Why go back when you can go forward?

Because you have to. Also because you seem to think your shit opinion matters.
>>>/reddit/

Now, now, fellow channer. There is no need to be so hostile to a superior sophisticated taste in gaming being expressed by an intelligent individual such as myself.

Instead you should take into consideration that you might and probably are wrong.

You could at least try to consider that you are wrong, and that your nostalgia for FFVII is being misplaced onto its archaic system instead of its setting and characters.

Game play is meant to evolve and change. Not stagnate like food that's been left in the fridge too long.

:)

user we're talking about Square. It won't be sophisticated and it certainly won't be modern.

psn version.

FFXV was pretty sophisticated and modern.

user it had less gameplay options than fucking Threads of Fate, a game Square made for the PSX. Shove a gun up your ass and fire.

Kindgom hearts came out 16 years ago.

PC has the most advanced version of current retranslation mods as well as the full 60fps mod
PS1 only has the retranslation
Vanilla PC has a small difference where the in battle menus will run at a lower FPS than the PS1 version (PS1 renders the menu at 60fps but the rest of the battle scene at 15fps, PC is fixed the whole scene is rendered at a single framerate and by default it's low)
Through emulators you can get the PS1 version to have almost the same visuals as the default PC version, no 60fps patches though.

Kingdom Hearts 1 is way more mechanically complex than FF15. 15 is original KH2 tier.

Actually I take that back, KH2, even originally, had several styles and actual bosses.

Play the original PC release, Steam version is DRM-crippled trash.

But we ARE going forward. Everything after FF 8 (except 9) were regressive steps and decline of quality.

This.

You mean the emo trash that doesn't have one bit of cohesive narrative after the end of the first disc.
Your Squall, no your someone else, no your all foster kids raised together even though that is something one of you would've remembered, no it never existed, no your dead, no your alive.

My bad. What i meant was from 8 onwards.
8 is on par with 13 as how bad and completely retarded the characters are.
And you forgot "friendship will make you find each other through time travel limbo", as well as a literal beta cuck being the main plot point of the game.

Speaking of 13, I was actually trying to play it, just to say I have, but I cannot stand hope at all. When I'm forced to play as him I shut the game off. This has happened 3 times so far and I just can't do it. I can deal with lightning's angst, or vanille's retarded level quirkiness, but hope crosses the line for me. I don't know if it's the emo crybaby, or the beta can't speak his mind, or what it is, but he bothers me more than any video game character should.

The PC version with the translation patch is good.

13: the game that makes yo hate hope.
But really, it is a shitty japanese trope for characters. They want people to feel the character is "mistaken but justified", but they always end up being annoying beta crybabies.
For me, the most hateful one is Snow, by far. His overoptimistic speeches make him look like a complete idiot when the whole world is being indeed ruined by the main characters. And after he gets all "we are the victims" after loudly attacking and shooting the (perceived) law enforcers in front of all citizens, he made clear to everyone that he WAS indeed a criminal, and still played the victim all the way. He truly reminds me of a literal a kike.
That, and the nigger, which is shit by default for being a nigger. LOL points for being another "nigger that cares about family". Yeah, sure.

Emulate the PSX version in Mednafen.

Or if you insist on playing a PC version of some sort, seek out the original PC version with music and translation patches.

I hate it because the most basic description of the plot could be done so well, a bunch of gods harvesting humans in a utopia for mass sacrifice.

Use retranslation. Either method will do.

But with a director that is a beta cuck and wanted a man-looking virtual woman to become his real life wife, everything went downhill.
No matter how good an idea is, when idiots are in charge, they ruin it.

Your posts scream mentally deficient. Are you unwell or just underage? No normal, functioning human being's thought patterns could be so riddled with buzzwords and secondhand sentiments.

You too, buddy. There's something not right with the old hamster wheel if Hope's grief makes you rage quit.

I see that FF type-0 made it better.
With exception for utopia part, of course.

lol rage quitting.
I just can't stand the character. I get that he just saw some shit with his "Mom's are tough" mother, but immediately afterwards he has more pressing concerns and all he want's to do is cry about it, without actually speaking his mind to the one person he blames. If he's too much of a pussy to speak up to the person who he hold's responsible, how the fuck is he going to actually function enough to do what needs to be done.

Turn based RPGs are so last millennia. Why is clinging to the past all any of you can do? How is that going to support the companies providing you with their art when you want the same thing again and again?

You'll never find out if you keep quitting.

Also it had Bayonetta

Don't waste your time like the shill (impotent soyboy) want.
There is nothing to find out other than "all the cast are idiots". Just like FF 8.
Your description of Hope is exactly what he is, and nothing more.

Their problem. Not ours.

Wasn't planning on going back to it, plenty of other games out there. KC:D has it's claws in me now and I still grind out shit in FF6 when the urge hits me.

I'd be fine if the VII remake combat system was a reformed version of the XV one with character switching. If you can only control Cloud it would be stupid.

Isn't that basically what they're doing, and probably why it's going to be shit? I played the free demo for XV and it was Kingdom Hearts but slow as shit. Combat felt like wading through water. Didn't they show a few moments of controlling Barret in one of the trailers?

For what purpose?

That's retarded and will suck.

They already mentioned that the remake is likely to be episodic. It's dead already.

The SNES trilogy are the best, overall. Each with it's own flavor of an epic saga combined with pretty good game mechanics and great soundtrack.
Those are the ones that every game in the franchise should be based on.
7 is still ok, but it has too many quests that are just to slow down the gameplay. Still, for the relevancy, soundtrack and materia system, it is worth it.
9 is a throwback to the style of the older ones, with the new visuals and mechanics from the newer, to some extent. It is a good one to try, when having nothing to play.
The rest, pure shit. It go worse and worse, until it reached bottom of the barrel with 13, and 15 just made it up a little, but not too much.

Those. Being a remake already makes it shit. Altering anything is retarded. Making it episodic is the final nail in the coffin.

No it isn't. You're just saying that because that's what Squaresoft tried telling everyone during the PR campaign before launch coz they fucked up 8 so badly. 9 is garbage.

You're straight up retarded.

I agree about the SNES trilogy, but personally I think FF1 was the greatest out of all of them, followed by 6. Yes, I'm old so nostalgia plays a very large part in it but, it's simple yet challenging, there is no hand holding, and without it square may not have existed to create many of their future titles.
The later titles have all messed up because they tried to be bigger and deeper than they needed to be and it hurt the storytelling and the gameplay.
Compare Chrono Trigger to any later title and you will see exactly what I mean, the gameplay, the story, the characters all had a simple presentation, yet where very deep and complex. The later games had a very complex presentation and where even more convoluted in practice.

9 is a bad mashup of every Final Fantasy game, the good bits from 1-7 marred by the plot shitting itself by disc 3 and feeling really fucking unfinished since they decided to make it a mainline game at the very last minute since X was in development hell due to resources being stretched for the movie, so that's where 8 comes in. So only half of it is really any good.

How do you fuck up this many times in a row.

English Super Nova > Japanese Super Nova

But it still IS a throwback to the older ones.
Different and fixed abilities for each character with enhancements from accessories and a world with more fantasy than the futuristic curve that 8 tried to force.

The japanese one seemed like a lazy effort.

The ones not focused on classes, yeah.

I never finished 9, but I thought that each character essentially did have a class as not everyone can learn the same abilities from every accessory, or even equip the same accessories?

Haven't played that much, but to use an example, Final Fantasy VII character differ mostly in stats and limit breaks and equippable weapons. However materia and consumable items are universally usable by all of them, and materia adds different commands, magic, summons, and other stuff so most classes can serve the same roles even if not as effectively.

Yeah, but you can give materia to everyone. The same isn't true in 9 from what I recall. Many skill granting accessories were not equippable by everyone and of those equippable by mulitple characters, different characters got different skills supporting their class from the same accessory.

Even if the remake is shit, which is likely, I'm looking forward to them creating a 2 minute long unskippable cutscene just for this attack.

It won't be in it. The remake is going to play exactly like FFXV, running on the same engine with the same framework.

How would that stop it? It would just play out like when the player uses a summon.

I remember when I first saw this and assumed that there was a hidden timer for the boss and that was the result of the Meteor materia. Was incredibly confused when the game just carried on like nothing had happened. Didn't even know that Japan had a different version. What was the point of all that?

ded