Donkey kong

How long until we get another DK game? Tropical freeze was fantastic so you'd think they'd make another DK game soon enough. More importantly though do you guys think well ever get another 3D DK game?

nu-DKC is trash, anything not made by rare isn't real donkey kong

yeah well rare is dead so were not getting any more of that.

Returns and Tropical Freeze were both garbage so hopefully not for a while.

Well now that's not entirely fair.

They should have just gone and made it a full 3D world. The two new DKC games are good but like said they just aren't quite the same as the old games.
I wonder if we'll ever get a DK RPG?

How does it feel to be WRONG?

do you hate fun?

I would play it. you thinking like a classic light RPG or something like paper Mario? I think a DK RPG that played like paper Mario would work.

Paper Kong for certain.

What would the partners be like?

Flip-Flap (DK64) = Carries DK across gaps long enough for DK to jump across, and short enough for the Flip-Flap partner to carry DK across it

"Long enough where DK can't jump across" I meant.

Tropical Freeze didn't sell as well as Nintendo's expectations I'm told, so another DKC could be a while off until Nintendo thinks it's worth investing in again. Who knows, maybe sales of Switch version could help jumpstart it.

As for another 3D DK, as much as I want it to happen, I don't have very high faith seeing as how DK64 turned out. Yes, I'm aware that was more a product of it's time, but it's hard to imagine Nintendo opting to make a new 3D DK game instead of recycling the same shit they've been doing for the past 10 years. How would you go about it? Collect-a-thon, Crash Bandicoot type, Mario 3D World type? It's an interesting concept, yes, but I think there's much more to do with the 2D games.

I could it in a similar vein to Super Mario RPG with all the Kongs as party members. Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Lanky Kong. But I'd rather have a new DK Racing.

well it was on the wiiu so I really shouldn't be too surprised.
if they ever do make another 3d DK game id want em to try somwthing like mario 64. Just warp to a level and complete an objective to get a golden banana.

shoot peanuts at switches and enemies alike.
play really fucking loud music to break glass in the way.
I dont know heal with her tits?

I completely agree, and allow me to segue into this topic.
One thing lots of people say about Donkey Kong 64 is "you should be able to switch characters at will", and that's a really bad idea because we've seen that in Sonic Heroes and Sonic Boom. When you switch to Tails or Knuckles, it doesn't feel like a separate character with pros and cons that you must adapt to using, because Sonic is right there, you're just using a different ability to get past some obstacle for a moment.
If there were no DK Crew barrels, instead of being challenged to get from point A to point B with only the abilities of one Kong (or two Kongs as a reward for not getting hit), all of them would effectively be merged into an Omni-Kong who can do anything and go anywhere, so there's hardly any point in making them different characters at all.

Instead of your idea or the backtracking bullshit, let's have a draw. You'd need special Teleportation Kong Koins to summon a character at will, and if you run out of koins, you can simply collect or buy more with your bananas.

I'm not sure there's really much need for a third one. At least not quite yet. I'm not sure they could top Tropical Freeze anyway. I'd rather see Retro tackling a new series.

The smartest thing to do would just be to remove the Kong specific item pickups. Having to switch to Diddy every time there's a red banana, and then switch back to DK every time there's a yellow banana is what made that game so tedious.

If there was ever a DKC trilogy remake, I'd like Laika or Aardman to work on revamping the stage layout and the entirety of the characters, basically the artsty stuff. If they just made it into a 3D conversion, I recon it wouldn't have that DK pre-rendered staple we all know and love, and that is most likely the biggest reason returns feels so damn weird, even with the amount of quality put into it, we're just not used to DK platformers being actual 3D.

If tropical freeze had @WinkySteve working on the designs, and certain tweaks were fixed, DK would be an improvement. They nailed the gameplay to a T, but made it be more generic in the process, which failed to make DK stand out from a design persective, though, the backdrops are an exception. I am mainly referring to character design and small quirks like the barrels being more cartoony and having "Squash n Stretch", rather than simulating a real cannon. That "suck slurp" sound the barrels make is weird as well, DK feels a bit slippery, but I do see how the game is built around that entire movement.

It's sad when getting a genuinely good product feels like an accidental miracle and we have to lower our expectations on waiting for another, to the point where a good game is a kind of anomaly. Damn videogames have died.

This, BUT if you HAVE to insert kong specific items, then at least do it in areas where only certain characters can only go into, so the fat is trimmed.

Tropical Freeze DK I meant.

I have to say, I could not give less of a shit about that.

To each his own user, some people's autism gets the best of them. I am one of those people. Having that rare 'charm' come back would bring me some pleasure, which can be done, knowing the man who worked on the music for Tropical Freeze, one of the best VGM to come out in a decade. We both know who that man is, and he invited some fresh faces who played his compositions as well.

kremlin krew when

I remember a retro interview saying they wouldn't like to 'stain' the legacy of rare by forcing kremlings into the next game. They're being humble and modest if I recall.

I might actually buy a switch for a game like that
if its actually good

seems ridiculous when you're already making a Donkey Kong game

I like the fact that the Retro games tried new villains. The tikis were forgettable, but the Snowmads were great.

Yeah, honestly, by the second game, I was ready to move on. The first game left a bad taste in my mouth, though TP was DKC2 tier, which is a very good thing! The snowmads are pretty fucking cool, just wish the king had a better reason to be there, that was sort of an issue with K. Rool, but at least he gets some back story with the "Great Ape War", and all that. Though, it doesn't matter in the long run, that badass final boss music just makes me want to bash some skulls in.

I'll look for the interview, it's something like "Why kremlings aren't in Donkey Kong Country Returns", or something above those lines. It was near the launch of TP iirc. Details are hazy.

This is good, and I would also cut down on Kong-specific interactable objects, like the switches that need a specific firearm and the floor pads that require a specific musical instrument.
Give DK his coconut gun (the only one mentioned in the rap), give Dixie her guitar (she had one first), give Diddy his jetpack and so on, one device per Kong, make them all unique intead of having five reskins of the same thing.

bump.

Donkey kong for the gameboy was pretty fucking good. Huge amount of content for such a simple game.

#NotMyPauline