Reasons open world games suck

What other problems can we add besides these, Holla Forums?

your mom

Because of over saturation, too many men fucked her already, she's shit

The maps are usually poorly designed and the games themselves are often very shallow.
Skyrim's a great example, a lot of people play the game for upwards of 200 hours before the illusion breaks down. It's a sudden one, as well. They'll notice most of the game's quests are "get x from y cave for me, Novakin". They'll notice how there isn't much of a difference between fire, ice or lighting besides partial effects. They'll notice there isn't much of a difference between weapons besides damage and swing speed.

So they're not empty.

At least some of the armors look cool. Especially that catfish armor.

Fucking missed opportunity. They really don't give a shit about creating any sort of narrative, do they? And this is in a game with probably the MOST character development of the entire series.

Fuck off.
Like everything, open world can, and has, been done right.

Holla Forums isn't one person, as much as newfags like you would like to believe.

go hang yourself nigger

And that's not really saying much either.

They are not open.

Great argument, fag.

Open world doesn't mean its shit by default. Its like saying an axe is dull because the guy swinging it can't hit the same spot to save his life.

(((procedural))) generated map
(((procedural))) generated quests
(((procedural))) generated npc's
(((procedural))) generated equipment
stick in a 4 hour hand made main question and sell it for $60 in no time, then stick in a user-made DLC shop and take a 60% cut for the cash cow long haul. why do you hate money

Anything that follows the Ubishit "open world" methodology. Find tower, unlock local map, collect collectibles in that area, do fetch quests to move "story" forward to unlock next area, rinse, repeat. Boring as fuck past the second locale, once everything starts to repeat in an obvious fashion.
GTA:V had some serious pacing issues. Would have been nice to have all those things to do end game available along the way, and the single player end game is fucking insulting. (COLLECT 50 SPACE SHIP PIECES, COLLECT SHIP PIECES, COLLECT NUKE WASTE, COLLECT PAPER SCRAPS, COLLECT, COLLECT, COLLECT busy work. Also the auto generated business upkeep missions are uninspired and extremely repetitive. How about I spend 10k on a good security system rather than losing 200K of my weekly income due to YET ANOTHER FUCKING ROBBERY? Dropping air leaflets to promote my theater, neat, but…over and over again? How many drug running mission can I do? And you force me into titty bar management but don't let me actually manage my titty bar?! TITTY BAR SIMULATOR WHEN?!
This is GTA:V in a nutshell. Why they bothered to only have 14 or so locations you can rob is fucking strange. Why pay an artist to render a Cluck N Bell without bothering to have the AI in place for me to order at it? Or hold it up, considering that mechanic is already working in-game? So many wasted, beautiful assets. So much detail work. So many obvious misses.
Not to even get into the shit ending.
San Andreas was the high water mark and I'm not sure open world games will ever surpass it.

Are you literally fucking retarded? Go play a rail-shooter instead, fag.

Do you not realize where you are?

Kinda a problem, yeah. I would often use the master sword for mundane tasks like chopping down trees so I wouldn't break my over weapons
Iffy on this point. You can find special armor and some powerful weapons, but no traditional items like previous installments
This. Devine Beasts are interesting when you first encounter one, but they're all very similar, they're short and the puzzles are all disconnected from one another
Could have had more variety, sure, but they still still feel mostly unique from one another
Stamina system was cool. I enjoyed being able to climb up any surface and finding workarounds when my stamina was low
That's very vague. There were some enjoyable characters throughout the game
And they use that to give it a melancholic and lonely tone that works out well

Oh come on, Doom 64 had a more melancholic atmosphere than BotW.

There hasn't been a good one made in over ten years.

I think that when people say they want games to have an open world, they actually mean open-ended maps where there's multiple solutions to complete a single mission. Hitman: Blood Money, Mario Odyssey, and Perfect Dark come to mind.

I could see why they go for procedural stuff, but I lose investment in the story because I know what I'm going to get after 1 or 3 tries. I like FE because npcs have a story behind them.

Add Deus Ex to that list of open-ended games.

MGS cocksuckers need to be lined up and shot, this cuckchan tier shit only started being spread when that steaming pile of shit that was V was released.

I don't know Cuman revenge simulator 2018 is pretty open world. I don't know how many Ayyyys it has but it is super fun. reminds me of Ultima 8. I just had my hand let go off and sharpened aan axe and all my swords. then got killed in a random encounter by two guys wearing ye old night shirt and wielding clubs.

shit is key.

why did you make a bait thread, OP?
you know that san andreas is the best GTA game, and is also a good open world game

They're too empty, and exploration isn't interesting. At worst, you'll find nothing between point A and point B, and at best, you'll find a shitty boring little cave full of the same weapons and enemies you can find anywhere else. It's why in games like Skyrim, fast travel is by far the best method of transportation, and there's no reason to ever use anything else.

It's kind of simple. Think about Majora's Mask - it's so small that everywhere you look, you'll find an interesting character, quest, or some collectible. You can't find jack or fuck in Breath of the Wild, no matter how hard you try. It has the same amount of content as a typical Zelda game, just spread across 200 hours and the world size multiplied by twenty times.

MGS5 is objectively one of the better open world games though. the map is small and empty, true, but it's one of the only open world games i've played where it actually feels like there are multiple options - sneak into enemy camp, assault enemy camp, drop airstrikes on enemy camp, fucking change the weather to make it rain, disable their communications, etc

don't get me wrong, phantom pain is not a good game, but the open world aspect of it was probably the least offensive part of it

Those have nothing to do with open world faggot. That's like saying Delta Force, Deus Ex, and Goldeneye are open world.

(1) and done.

Procedural can be done good, but not always. Some things should be handmade. I reply because fuck Dungeons 3's skirmish maps.

But publishers and developers would rather market games as
THE BIGGEST WORLD YOU HAVE EVER SEEN, GO ANYWHERE DO EVERYTHING
Than actual ground themselves and their ambitions and make a well designed games that's not a fucking skinnerbox ala Ubishit

Either that or Space games because it's fucking space and space is comfy and I'm autistic.

Regardless, that's not what a shitton of retards who post here think and MGSV surely contributed with that considering these statements only started to be pushed aroudn that time.

Now there's a huge amount of retards screaming that all Open World games are shit and pretending like their perceived Holla Forums hivemind agrees with them and their shit taste.

Cuckchan spread this shit in 2015 it sure as shit will do it now.

That's a straight up lie.
People have been talking about how most open world games are bullshit since mid to late PS2 era when they started to become more and more prevalent. It's not even something that's peaking now, I think complaints about it peaked at around when ass creed 1 came out, one of the worst, most meaningless open worlds ever made, which was also around the time devs shoehorning an open world into everything they could got really bad.
If every open world game was like DQ2, Morrowind, BotW, GTAVC, GTASA people wouldn't complain about open worlds being boring and meaningless.

BotW felt pretty melancholic at some points. Melancholic doesn't mean cry your eyes out depressing, but the dead friends and constant ruins of destroyed cities made me wish they'd make another Zelda where not everything is fucked up like it was in SS and BotW.

Same with Daggerfall. You only visit dungeons when you want to grind, if not just fast travel to another area. That's not a bad system, and some of the dungeons in Skyrim actually contain useful loots.

That's the fucking point. And it's not big, most open world games are the size of a small town

I think that has more to do with how common open world games have become, and from fatigue of getting a lot of mediocre or out right shit open world games.

This. This so fucking much. Remember in Ocarina of Time when you go to sleep for 7 years and you find out all the people you interacted with were taken by Ganondorf? I was hell bent on rescuing them all. I wanted to save them all, because I knew i could save them and see them again. Then at the end of the game you see them leave the sacred realm and standing in the field. They are still alive.
Now Breath of the Wild comes in and and you find out Zelda has been trapped for years from her dead father. Okay cool gotta go save her. Now you find out all the Champions souls are trapped to. I have absolutely no motivation to "free their soul" from Ganon because I can pretty much just go on a shrine quest, then go confront Ganon and free all their souls anyway without doing the work to save them. How fucking great would it have been to have the characters you meet 100 years later actually see the goddamn champions, or the champions to see how everything has changed. How fucking great would it have been to let Mipha see how old and handsome her brother got or her brother to see his sister again, or Rivali to see how amazing his students became at archery. It was a poorly done story that tried to force feels down your throat and it fucking pissed me off to no end.

you mean you didn't realize the single player was shit at the very beginning with possibly the worst opening of any open world ever? You start out in a drastically different environment (that should have been a flashback in the middle of the game). Then, the true intro mission in Los Santos ends up being a frantic race where you can't really take-in the sights with fresh eyes for the first time. Real disappointment in retrospect. The first mission should have been Trevor. That view coming up over the hills was fantastic.

Literally daggerfall
But people still suck its dick because it had autistic character-related systems

*sneak into enemy camp, tranq enemy camp, drop tranqs on enemy camp, fucking change the weather to make it tranquilize, disable their brains, etc

FUCKING STOP

I love open-worlds but i hate how most games royally fuck up the most important aspect that is travelling it in a manner that is actually somewhat fun.
Too often you are slow as fuck on foot but horses, cars and such are either on short supply or too slow and cumbersome aka plain shit to go with so better just go with the fast travel option even for short distances.

Or the map in question is a glitchy buggy mess and you find yourself stuck in environment, fences and such constantly.

I'm guessing your familiarity with the mechanic is games after 00's.

Stalker is an Open world game, many early 90's simulation games and sandbox had open world aspects.
Open world means large OPEN areas that are not corridor off.

Let's correct your title op:
"Why i don't like open world games"
A blog-post by Antony Cockgobbler.
Why are you doing this to us?

Calm down Todd.

It's a shame there'll be no Fuel 2, traveling through burned forests in Ashtray was kino.

Best open world I've played and it was about 7/10. As a zelda game it gets 4/10. I loved how the physics system worked everywhere and all the fun shit you could do with fire, electricity, etc. but these were never really taken advantage of.
How I would improve it:

I hate handholding; minimaps, quest trackers, quest logs, etc., and these things have to be there, because otherwise you would not find anything from the huge area, the game has to be designed to work without handholding from the start to be playable that way, also there's ridiculous amount of random encounters, I mean you walk 10 steps in the woods and a wild enemy appears, and it gets boring really soon, particularly if the combat is hard, because it feels meaningless grinding unlike in Dank Souls, where all fighting feels meaningful

Excellent points, the game is more shite than I had realized.

I suppose you enjoy eating your snot as well? Climbing on any surface was a mistake.
"oh don't want to fight that camp over there? Just climb that mountain lol"
The game needed more enemies.
No there wasn't.
Majoras Mask did this infinitely better.

what

Believe it or not, you can dislike parts of a game and acknowledge they need improvement yet still enjoy it as a whole. Almost as if "game I thought was alright" and "perfect flawless gem" are two completely different things.
I know it's a foreign concept, so it'll take a minute to get a grip on, but it makes a lot of sense in practice.

Open world is difficult to properly implement.

The whole point of "open world" is to allow the player to go anywhere at any time, but this relies almost entirely on zero linearity. Therefore, you can't have one region of the game that's substantially more challenging than another. To mitigate this, you have to do what Skyrim did by having a world that levels up with you. This has many downsides, one of which being that acquiring stronger weapons or armor soon becomes pointless after a few levels since you'll need to upgrade it again as it will soon becomes less effective against your enemies. I've heard that, in Skyrim, you can beat the main quest line at level 1 which makes a leveling system nothing more than an endorphine delivery system that makes the player feel good when that gong sounds letting them know they've gained a level.

To see how open world has negatively impacted RPGs, look at very old games like Dragon Warrior or Final Fantasy from the NES. You start out weak, constrained to a limited area not by physical barriers, but by more powerful enemies. In order to travel further north from Castel Tantegel in Dragon Warrior, you have to grind on slimes until you can afford better equipment, but this only buys you a bit more distance as you then have to grind on ghosts and drakees before being able to fight your way past the magicians on your way to Hamlin.

Linearity gives the player a greater satisfaction of exploring a world since you have to grind your way into new areas as opposed to just being able to go wherever you want whenever you want regardless of your level.

BTW, speaking of Skyrim, I just turned on my game and my character's head was all small like in pic related. I have no mods installed or anything.

If that's the case then the game wouldn't be anything above a 5/10. You're giving the game the IGN treatment here. The game itself is essentially broken when you factor in how many of the mechanics actually break the base game even without considering it as a Zelda game. If you can genuinely say that's anything above a 5/10 you might need to get a firmer grip than me.

checked
and /thread

/un-threading your /thread
:^)

It's not broken though. It works as a stand alone title, just not quite as a zelda game, thus the different scores.
also

Nigger, NOT having scaling allows for better progression within the world by allows more area to be explored as you level up organically not by some non-completed quest but by actual enemies holding you back that you know you can defeat but just cant yet.
Also you should kill yourself for defending level scaling to begin with.

Eh…. I didn't?

what?
They weren't in Skyrim.
If your only defense for a game is that it's fun because it's broken then you really need to stop posting. The only aspects about BoTW that make the game worth while is that it's a great game to make screensavers for and some of the locations are fun to find until you realize that you put just about no actual thinking power into finding them.

It took me after 2 weeks of having the game downloaded to realize this, not 200 hours. I think people get sucked in playing with mods which I don't think are usually substantial or interesting either.

What would even be a good travel/movement-system in an open-world game?

On gta-likes i like how in Saints Row 2 most cars are actually quite fast and dont handle like trash so it's not annoying to go from point A to point B so i'd guess gta-likes it shouldn't be too difficult provided cars dont magically disappear after you stop looking at them or are sparse as fuck but what about fantasy gaems?

They were in Morrowind
You absolute goddamn retard

Most gameplay in open world games is traveling from point A to point B with no action or something interesting in between.

Nigger, there is no upside. You wanted to walk around freely but that is inherently counter-productive and bad design. It is a counter the "the right path is where the enemies are" which is probably one of the most baseline yet best things for game design. Adding level scaling fundamentally shit on good game design.

That would imply Morrowind was comparable to BoTW. That would also imply that the game breaking features in BoTW took time and experience to discover so that effort felt rewarding.

Not having scaling allows you to tailor a set path with events along the way, like in New Vegas. Breaking that set path is considered a challenge, and players who enjoy overcoming difficulty have a second way to play.

The autistic sandbox stuff does take time and experience to discover unless you know about all of it beforehand
Saying that basic fucking movement mechanics completely break the game is implying there's a game underneath those mechanics to break, which there absolutely isn't
Being forced to fight enemies in straight gauntlets across the entire map everywhere you go using BotW's combat system and none of the other shit that makes it fun to fuck around with would be a boring slog

I recognize that image as a repost; you are most likely lying.

I think X does "open" gameplay fine. You have a general combat notoriety and faction specific notoriety. If you're notorious, the game spawns more challenging enemies i.e starting from some police forces, to larger fleets and capital ships. In the game world, it makes sense as the faction is sending out forces relative to how much of a threat you pose. This also extends to the rate at which a hostile-to-all faction sends out raids in random places.

Reasons why you should check my digits

You can climb a mountain and circumvent just about every enemy. You can get enough healing items to never die and you can barely find an dungeon challenging enough to be worth your time. None of these take time or experience.
Almost like most of the world is a boring empty wasteland with no thought put into how those movement mechanics would have been better used. Somehow this is "fun" to you though so I guess I'm btfo.
Unlike the boring slog of holding a few buttons and moving in 1 direction for several minutes you mean? God forbid a Zelda game have a focus on exploration being a difficult journey, unlike the first fucking game where this was half of the reason you fucking played it outside of dungeons.

Now THIS is a "/thread" worthy post.

Ludo narrative dissonance :^)
But all hipster terms aside, open world games suffer heavily from it. In these games the player is told that they have to hurry or the world will fucking explode and then he goes fishing for a few game days.

That's like comparing white rice to a steak, you busta.

People have been saying it since GTA4ish.

Sand Andre sucks.
IT SUCKS

In X, the premise varies depending on the starting scenario. It's generally a young pilot that is starting a career and the current political/economic/diplomatic climate in space is the story.

This would be a problem even in if the other mechanics were all removed
Lack of quality content is not a "game breaking mechanic"
What made the exploration good in the original zeldo wasn't the annoying shit-tier enemies you could sword at by pressing the sword button, it was all the secret stuff you had to actually look around and uncover yourself
And it didn't even do that well since a lot of it was just obtuse playground rumor bullshit, but it was a novelty since nobody else before or even really since seems to want to do

Talking about finding the dungeons.
Play the game again. There's "secrets" in the game but the majority of them rely on bombing every inch of the map and burning every bush you can find. The appeal to the original zelda when you cut out the bullshit was making it to a dungeon in relatively good enough shape with potions so you could explore the dungeon longer. As the game progressed so did your character because you were given a larger arsenal which meant the beginning enemies weren't nearly as difficult. Actually uncovering new areas was barely 5% of the game when you get down to where your effort went.
It was still a better game for having combat you couldn't always just run past however unlike BoTW. The map in the original game had plenty of choke points and projectiles to force your character to tread carefully. Combat was just as much of a feature as exploration. In BoTW neither mechanic is any good as combat's a joke due to unlimited health items and easily evasive enemies which in turn effects the exploration as there's no challenge due to the lack of any combat. The "secrets" you find are the only thing it has going for it at this point, which means once you know them there's nothing left to do. But somehow this means the game is above a 5/10? Seriously fag?

bigger levels are the future, i have no fucking doubt about it
real problems are filling it meaningful mechanics and content

Open world games are basically time sinks for autists who enjoy repeating the same things over and over again and hunting down meaningless collectible items.

So we're fucked basically?