What the fuck went wrong?

Did Volition decide Saints Row needed to become the new Overwatch? I also remember literally no buzz and hype surrounding this title, I only found out of this game's existance the day it was launched and then died the straw's death. What were they thinking?

They weren't. This is the culmination of Volition turning Saints Row into MORE OVER-THE-TOP RANDUMB SHIT, MORE SUPERPOWERS, MORE MORE MORE instead of focusing on its street gang violence roots.

/this. It's obvious no thought was put into it when they decided to make marvel costume rip-offs.

The problem is that they keep trying to tie all this unrelated shit into a single "coherent" package. SR4 could have been a decent super hero game, had it dropped everything related to Saints Row the franchise and the outside of the matrix crap.

I've heard the idea for the game came from a low level goon employee. If that's even true, it just goes to show how desperate volition is for ideas

It's not even an overwatch clone, I thought it was a shitty open world game.

I have no idea

Apparently it takes place in Seoul for absolutely no justifiable reason.

Probably just to be ~unique~, as south korea isn't really used much in games, mostly shit like CoD press F to warfare and a bunch of random ass soccer games.

Just like the real life person that played Rosie the Riveter, they both died fairly quickly and forgotten once 2018 came around. At least people will still be imitating Rosie the Riveter despite the real story being very different that the empowering image it is portrayed today.

She actually quit her job right after the propaganda was made because she didn't want to do physical work.

While not exactly a Overwatch clone in terms of gameplay, it had elements based on it like a diverse international group of heroes from several different countries.

Complaining about niggers in a Saints Row game.
Fair complaint.
Don't you shit talk Thundercats.
It failed because it was a pile of shit.

I've never played this game, but I've seen enough of it where I can say that it there's absolutely some thematic elements they tried to lift from Overwatch. And I'm not just saying that because it's some sort of class based fareā€“the set up of costumes, abilities with cooldowns, weaponry, some sort of ultimate attack, and a lot of presentation down to some font is supposed to ape this.

I wouldn't say it failed because of that, not at all, I think it failed first and foremost because you have a game where the drawing factor is this team of ragtag heroes from all over, but all of them are sleep inducing. We shit on Overwatch all day here, and justifiably, but a huge draw (arguably the biggest) is that you have all these characters with these different personalities and cool looking designs. Agents of Mayhem has characters that look like they were just made out of the create-a-character from Saints Row. A game based around Saturday morning cartoons and the protagonists are just people in shirts and pants. Compared to something like GI Joe, it's laughable. Also, there's actual Saints Row characters as part of the cast if you need any more proof of how creatively bankrupt it is.

Personality wise, it's the same randumb quirky xD schlock that's seem to fester around in video games nowadays. It's become concerningly generic. You got the generic quirky white guy, the generic tumblr beefy woman who loves 50s retro attire, the generic sassy hacker girl, the generic yeah get some big black guy, and a muslim lady to round it all out. It's goddamned boring.

Apparently it's also a big buggy mess too.

Saint's Row III.
Saint's Row II is a near perfect "gta-like", better than most GTA (except maybe Vice City) that perfectly nailed what people expected of it:
-Fun gameplay with some wackiness (largely induced by the player) that was still somewhat realist.
-Serious (and self-aware) tone.

diverse cast was by no means pioneered by crapcunts

And yet literally the only Korean playable character is the DLC Johnny Gat, who is only ethnically Korean. I'm legit surprised journalists didn't have write a ton of articles about that. It's a stupid choice even from a normal person's view.

t. Volition dev

Well atleast they have kimbo slice.