Are there any good Fire Emblem hacks that aren't just translations?

Are there any good Fire Emblem hacks that aren't just translations?

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/start/
serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/45771-bloodlines-24/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

are there any fan projects that would be better than if a real developer actually made it

Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, AM2R, tons of Mario 3 hacks, even more Sonic hacks and fangames. The list is quite large.

There are plenty you lazy fuck, go google this shit before you soil this catalog up again with such a low effort OP

There's plenty of hacks, but which ones are good?

Last Promise
Staff of Ages
Elibean Nights
FE7x
Are ones I know for a fact are bretty gud.

Ones that are probably good are Corrupt Theocracy, Requiem and Road to Ruin simply because when you have that many chapters, its very likely a ton of effort was put in.
Problem with a lot of these is that they aren't finished, but what they do have is solid
I only gave FE7x a few quick looks and have heard and seen nothing but good things about it but I don't want to touch it till its finished

Staff of Ages is good, but its current ongoing.

That shit is Different Dimensions: Ostian Princess tier.
And to clarify, TLP isn't actually good so much as it is hilariously edgy. Someone post the webm with the midified His World theme.

I was toying with the idea of having a High Fantasy x Wild West setting Fire Emblem game set in a slightly more distant future where a kingdom found NotAmerica populated by NotNatives and some other silly magical dragon-like creature and somehow this is all part of a prophecy and shit, and the weapons triangle would be gun's, tomahawks and dynamite while the magic aspect of the game is left untouched, with shit like bards being cabaret girls and a guy with a portable piano that would sing the first notes of the Entertainer.

Make it faggot

Sounds awesome.
Maybe make the magic triangle more wild-west themed, such as (native) Shaman > (pilgrim) Priest > (dragon) Cultist

I always wondered how hard it is to make such ROM hacks. I mean, you have to poke bare machine code and try to make something that doesn't break. Making a few small number tweaks or changing sprites is one thing, but wouldn't it be easier to make a game like from scratch instead of trying to hack it into an existing game? You wouldn't be needing much in terms of graphics if you want to make it look like a Fire Emblem hack, the only hard part might be the AI, but you have the same problem when making a ROM hack.

romhacking.net/start/
That depends on genre. If it's something like text game, one of ancient games for example Tetris or Pong, or even idle game then yes.
But when you want to make something more difficult than that it gets hard very fast.

not what i was asking

So far Staff of Ages seems pretty competent

Fire Emblem Bloodlines is interesting.

serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/45771-bloodlines-24/

The plot is a bit too eurphoric though.

the maker is a dudebro too, if not a complete nintendofag

his youtube channel has a pretty good Gaiden playthrough.

Fantastic idea, there aren't enough Wild West themed games- or at least good ones. But I'd revise the weapon triangle a bit. has a good concept. And if I may add, I'd include melee types like whips, sabers, clubs, etc. Don't know if you'd want a magic system or if there'd be a believable way to incorporate it, at least for the NotAmerica side. Heck, maybe a bartender mage/healer? Throws flaming molotovs as an attack and mixes healing or temporary stat boosting drinks for other characters to use. Snake Oil salesman that's an actual snake?

What about that raep one some user played a while back?

As far as completed hacks go the only ones I know of are The Last Promise, Requiem and Road to Ruin. The Last Promise has some questionable design choices and a coldsteel-tier MC, but had the distinction of being the first completed custom hack with an original setting/story and original characters. Requiem is pretty Vanilla as far as content goes but gets points for not being a cringe-fest like TLP was. I have yet to play RtR so someone else will have to tell you if it's shit or not.

I once tried to make a hack years back. Tried to, anyway – I never actually made anything worth presenting. You'll be doing everything solo at first, be it spriting mapmaking, writing or insertion – and don't expect anyone to lift a finger for you until you can give a basic proof of concept. You'll have to put a lot of work in yourself if you want the help of halfway competent people in the community, and even then they're just volunteering their time so don't expect anything in a timely manner. The dearth of half-completed and abandoned hacks should clue you in to how much work it is.

Green just got translated as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Any other ideas?

Then I'd have to make my own engine, create my own assets and so on and so forth, while I could just romhack portraits and edit maps while keeping game mechanics identical. Building everything from scratch is almost never the right solution in any problem whatsoever, unless what you want to do can't be edited via the base data or you want to create a vastly different game.

There's also an RPGmaker set you can use to make fire emblem clones easily but the downside is that it's RPGmaker. Strategy RPGmaker also exists but is only in nip.

You post so angrily, but if he'd gone in blind he might have accidentally played something like the Gheb Saga. You wouldn't inflict that on someone, would you?

Oh, I wasn't going to make a ROM hack myself, I was just curious about how much effort it must take.

Sound cool, but how are you going to balance guns like double-barrel shotguns, hunting rifles, revolvers and such ?
I mean, natives will still rely on axes and bows that you can borrow from the base game, army cavalry will still carry sabers, and so on. I'm gonna assume your main "lord" unit would be Not-Easwood or NotJohnWayne, and he will carry your average Colt revolver, and maybe a rope that he could use as a proxy whip, but revolvers can be shot at close range, quicker to use on up-and-personal situations than the bow, shotguns are a must on dealing close-to-mid range massive damage, then there's scatterguns, bolt-action rifles, etc.
Would you go for an approach similar to Echoes where archers can shoot at close range ? or something else ?

Some nip recently made a program called FEBuilder that makes hacking and testing considerably easier than using FEditor or Nightmare. It only works for the GBA games, but if you're doing FE hacks that's probably what you'll want to play with anyway.

I was going to suggest an ammo system and using turns to reload for guns, where as Injuns' bows don't have to use a turn to reload as long as they have ammo. Injun ammo could also be retrieved and reused from dead corpses. And if that doesn't work out, you could also consider the weapon type counterparts the same aside from aesthetic. Same damage, durability, etc, only they're for different sides/units.

Revolvers could be used for 1 - 2 units away, but lose accuracy and power when used from 2 units, where as bows could be the opposite and gain accuracy and power from further distance. Sabers could have higher crit chance and speed where as warclubs could have higher base damage and durability. Bolt-action rifles would need a reload turn or maybe even 2 after each shot and/or have it's range limited to the closest enemy. Shotguns would need a reload turn after each shot, but also be able to damage adjacent enemies along with the target.

You could even incorporate Injun mythology to their side for inspiration. Using the Thunderbird as an attack, Rain-dance to make rough terrain, etc, you could always be creative and invent new weapons or concepts if they're inspired from Injuns and not the real world equivalent.

project m

Seeing the new direction Fire Emblem looks to be going is worrisome, at least concerning spin-offs like FE# and Fire Emblem Warriors and seeing as how they turned out. Somewhat off-topic, but I wish we could have better spin-offs, like a Fire Emblem fighting game, but only if it wasn't made similar to Fire Emblem Warriors, that is, it doesn't use an over abundance of Awakening and Fates characters, but rather appeals to long time fans and contains a variety from the whole series. Ideally, I'd imagine it'd have each game's Lord(s) plus plot-important or interesting units. Sort of like the Colosseum, but being able to control the actual characters.

What about classes ? Because while cavalry and nomads would be still on this time period, Knights are obsolete, myrmidons won't be as common as they used to be in an age where firepowers is all the rage, Mercenaries and brigands would have switched to revolvers and shotguns, and so on…
I would suggest re-work some of the clases and make them their "natural evolution", i.e:
Brigands -> Outlaws
Mercenaries -> Bounty Hunters
Soldiers -> Riflemen

But the biggest question should be: who are you going to rip-off for the MC ? Clint Eastwood or John Wayne ?

You don't want them touching the old stuff. From Echoes and Heroes it's clear they'll just bastardize it and make it far too wordy.

Do any of these hacks have guns? I would like a FE-like game with guns

user that's literally just Advance Wars.

AW isn't that good on the animation part, a FE themed game with guns means super retarded animations like someone with a revolver doing an ocelot before shooting

Sounds fucking cool user there isn't enough wild west games.

There's the Wild ARMs strategy RPG on the psp but that's not that good.

Take this advice from an SMT fan since before Persona 3 came along. Run as fast as you can.

Didn't even know there was a Wild Arms on PSP user thanks.

It's not bad, but the story is pretty weak. Also, despite having a really robust job system, think FFT but you but instead of having slots for active skills [use black magic, etc], passive skills and reaction skills you have up to six slots where you can put any skills you unlocked, a bunch of maps force you to switch to certain jobs for puzzles or maneuverability.

It's not bad, it's just not great. The real critical flaw was that each unit can only stay on the field so long and passing a turn doesn't slow it down, so fast units kill themselves if the rest of your group can't keep up.

I think you're thinking of Phantom Brave. I don't think XF has that mechanic but it's been years.

Easy, just take folktales/jobs of that time period. Sheriff = Lord, Prospectors = Dynamite, Pioneers = Balanced, Gambler = Crit/Speed, Ranger = Gun Expert, Reverend = Healer, Gunslinger = Revolver Expert. Heck, if you wanted to base the game around all of NotAmerica you could include traditional themes like Lumberjacks as Axe users and whatnot.

Where do you think you are boy?

embed related, too lazy to download
They're too jewed to do it

I'm going to be a fag and say you could just limit the durability of guns greatly, liking giving them single digit uses to represent how limited ammo is for before "reloading". Or just to show they bullets have to be brought all the time and are rare. Another thing I'm wondering you can change is the chance of a retailiation strike hitting, so you can make it so it's harder to return fire with a gun.

If Gun is sword, Tomahawk is Axe, and Dynamite is Spear or whatever your triangle is, that still doesn't cover Bow types, or ranged weapons outside of magic. In that case, make the Bows into rifles.

Native american types are still apart of the wild west, and were in heavy conflict with both modern society and other tribes, so you could use them or native equivlents as both enemies and allies. Fire Emblem also has Dragon characters who shift into dragons, so if you want to go fantasy you could have shit like vampires or werewolves or something, or have the natives do magic shit to turn into a native american Thunderbird or something for that.

Fire Emblem's really simple but it has two weapon triangles and a couple of classes that work outside of that as support, Dragon classes that operate as all-rounders who can take on anyone with no fear of the triangle but have to be worried about weapons they're weak to, and most importantly boss classes and various attributes from them that you can slap onto playable characters to differentiate them, usually.

Start with your basic concept, but if it seems too basic for you, don't be afraid to go nuts.

shotguns and sniper rifles, as well as, well, bows
That's the plan, I don't really want to make something that is "balanced", I want to make something that is fun to play. Who cares if it's not entirely accurate that a redskinned faggot with an axe deals more damage at point blank than a shottie to the face, if it's fun to use and be played against, it's alright in my book.

I'm fucking disgusted even if I've never touched heroes, they soil him by doing this

Daily reminder there are """people""" on this board RIGHT NOW that actively play Heroes

It is a very, very long process depending on what your goal is. If you just want to make a simple map pack, maybe with some unique animations if you're up for it, it'll take a month or two tops.
If you want to make an original story that looks competently put together? Well I'll put it this way; SoA started in 2015 and we're only just now closing in on finishing the second arc.

Good shit, I'm surprised no one bothered with this idea earlier.
Now, colonial FE, that would be the tits.

Nigga, that game was patient zero for nuAtlus.

This is 8/v/ not Serenes. We don't encourage shit opinions and faggotry here.

TOP LEL :^)

STOP LIKING STUFF THAT'S POPULAR/STUFF OTHER PEOPLE TELL ME I CAN'T LIKE REEEEEEE

Nu-Persona fags are just fucking cancer and you fags prove it, the fuck is wrong with you?
Stay out of this thread and keep your waifu dating sim aspects OUT of Fire Emblem, thanks
You fags are also probably the ones who bitch about SMT fags "gatekeeping" your bitch asses out of their community for being such cucked casuals

oh don't get me wrong, friend, that is neither here nor there–I'm just under the impression that the Persona 3+ games are good. I have said nothing of my opinion on nuFE, which uh

keep the dating sim stuff in games where it belongs/actually works, not with FE, thanks. I understand it kinda saved the series and you gotta follow the money these days but that shit should stop–in FE.

but for Persona?

fuck you oldfags, I'll enjoy 3-5 all I want.

You gotta go back

I'll stop disliking what you like when you start liking what I don't dislike.

Sacred contention

Wait wasn't this a PSX game at some point
Also keep posting ideas lads