Zero Escape

How did we go from this to this?
Also, was VLR good?

I liked VLR but it really is inferior to 999.
emotional sudoku

999 was nothing special, just anime Saw with a wacky postmodern twist.

I hated 999. Characters were shitty anime stereotypes and the plot was hamfisted everywhere.
The ending was shit, the sudoku was ridiculous. The difficulty was so easy even a child should be able to solve it. If you want to give tension to that scene at least make it a difficult one, like a 4x4 grid where you use hexadecimals as well, which was another thing they talked about for no real reason by the way.

The shitty 3D really ruined the atmosphere.

The series progressively got worse after 999. its pretty interesting to see a series actually go backwards in quality this hard.

VLR is still worth playing, but it ends on a (non-canon) cliffhanger. Less of a horror-game and more of a sci-fi thriller.

ZTD is bad, but you need to play it if you want the full story.

Wow, his hobbies are quite complex.

You can say he's a Nihilist with a wicked sense of Humor

Well Holla Forums?

I feel like I just watched some Renegade Angel there.

Memes are the only good thing about ZTD

Not from japan its not. Thats the strangest thing about Japanese publishers, they are occasionally willing to make amazing new games, then they seem to test just far they can go on brand awareness alone. I can't recall too many exampels off the top of my head, which doesn't do much for my argument, but off the top of my head is Valkyria Chronicles.

You got to be pretty new to vidya if this stands out as an example of a game series getting worse with each title.

Also people are too hard on VLR. While I agree the tone of 999 was better (the setting and graphics for VLR sucked) the main appeal of this series is seeing all the crazy twists happening in each of the routes and VLR the series at its peak for that shit. In many respects VLR feels like what you want to see in a sequel: more of what the first game offered. With more routes, more twists, more puzzles, more characters, more endings ect.

I still wonder what exactly went through Uchikoshi's mind between operation bluebird and ZTD. Why did he suddenly pander to western audiences/newcomers? At first I thought he would only do it with the art style, because people were so adamant that he wouldn't betray us. In the end we were right to worry

I always remembered it being called Good People Die before it was VLR. Did I just miss it?

Whoops I'm retarded. OB was about getting a third Zero Escape game. I just assumed it was the codename for VLR before it was officially named.
You'll have to excuse me, I'm pretty late to the party with this franchise.

Talk about japan having shit taste holy shit

Not even three nukes would be enough.

If the models and animations were as good as the Promo Art it wouldn't be a problem.

Was his target audience children?

VLR is still very good, it has slightly less excitement in exchange for much more play time

Part of that was due to executives wanting Uchikoshi to tone down certain elements. After Danganronpa's success (which was in part due to 999's failure) they tried to make the sequel more like DR, hence the mascot character and lack of exploding people.

I was fucking hyped when I got to that section

Zero Time Dilema had such a stupid fucking twist that I consider VLR to be decent by comparison.

To add to what I just posted here:
Basically what happened was 999 flopped pretty hard, and meanwhile Danganronpa was being made. Because it shared its premise and genre with 999 the DR devs were watching it super closely. When they realized 999 bombed they completely revamped the art style to make it more colorful and appealing for the japs. Later, Chunsoft and Spike merged and Uchikoshi was pressured by execs, who saw the success of DR and ordered Uchikoshi to emulate it. Vid related is footage of the much darker DR beta game, originally titled "Distrust". Strange how these two series have influenced each other so much. The last example of influence I can think of is the bracelets in ZTD and the Danganronpa 3 anime. The bracelets both put their owners to sleep at set intervals. by this point Uchikoshi and Kohacka had been sharing ideas with each other.

ZTD had its moments, it was pretty good up unitl Delta

Zero the 3rd is best Zero tho

Kill me. At least it didn't suffer that much from it as you would have expected.

I'm still pissed off we got the current state of Dangitronpaul rather than Distrust although I'll argue that v3 managed to carry over a lot of the elements that it had from it. And beta Kiri a qt.

How so? V3 was somehow darker than the previous installments but I don't think it had elements from Distrust

While not mechanically, thematically idea between the fight of trust and distrust was pretty heavy through two thirds of the game. Shit like Shuichi and astronaut faggot (who I can't remember the fucking name) trying to do exercising in the middle of the night and how one of the characters is pretty much the biggest fucking liar out of the entire franchise. How baby sitter whore was very reluctant to open up and be with the other rag tag team and shit like that. Add on even what you mentioned that the game is far more darker and the absence of DUDE HOPE LMAO for most of the game and from what I see and remember, it got close to what they were aiming for. If you ignore basically everything after the ending of chapter 4 that is.
sage for dangit autism.

Missed opportunity tbh.

I get your point. Yeah thinking about it now it's true the game was centered about lying and trust in general, like how we had to lie sometimes during the trials and all
and the brainlet astronaut is called Kaito Momota

How about that time when Sigma and Diana had twins while locked in a shelter with no exits and no food and they all starved to death just to clone their children to an alternate universe?

I daresay that the only reason to even stomach through DR is to look at all the cute pictures of Naegi and Kirigiri together. And picking up a discount waifu or two along the way.

i actually liked vlr better than 999 after playing ztd.
std was so bad that it ruined akane and junpei for me, thus making replaying 999 impossible.

I didn't expect the time-traveling twist at the end, so it surprised me.