Good Walking Simulators

We meme about "walking simulators" a lot, and for good reason. Although, it should be said that walking simulators have a right to exist, and can be good of enough love goes into it. What are some of your favorite "walking simulators?"

The thing about WSs is that they don't need to be games. If you want to go 100% narrative, make a film.

Walking Simulators are best without a narrative. Comfy exploration games are really, well, comfy.

IThe Vanishing of Ethan Carter is fairly nice, and SOMA is also okay if you accept it as what it is rather than as a horror adventure.

Was about to suggest Yume Nikki, but that's already in the OP. You could still give Yume Nikki 3d or Yumme 2kki, or .flow a try.

I see the underlying point, but I would argue that a good walking simulator, unlike a film, does not necessary show you all of its contents. Take Yume Nikki and related fan games again, where there's events maybe 10% of the actual playerbase has seen with its own eyes, rather than through some Wiki or Youtube vid.

WALKIE
TALKIES

The vanishing of ethan carter was okay I suppose. Some neat puzzles and supernatural elements. But there's no escaping the fact the gameplay template (slow ass walking, falsely open environment) of these things are always a detriment.

Dubs Simulator 2018

OP is a faggot and this thread is shit. Check my repeating digits.

Wow, great post user. I really feel like the thread has improved due to your quality post.

This thread was never good to begin with, niggerfaggot. Kill yourself.

I did enjoy Kentucky Route Zero, though the long wait for the updates did kinda dampen that.

(You)

(checked)

it did tho

Never gets old

inb4/v/isoneperson

Excuse me…

i can see the charm on these games
same with resident evil and morrowind

spoiler that shit next time

oxymoron

OP, the term walking simulator is derogatory.

I always thought that LSD would be a great game to adapt for VR. It's played in short 10-30 minute chunks, moves at whatever pace the player sets, and the main method of interacting with the world is through walking through it and touching objects you find.
On a side note, I really love how the game corrupts its own textures and the game gradually becomes more bizarre longer you play. I wish more games did something like that.

But ico has combat, puzzles, and fail states.

How do you define a walking simulator?

After years of weeb bullshit, I feel like addressing the elephant in the room:

WALKING SIMULATORS ARE 3D VISUAL NOVELS

Someone had to say it. Enough of this double standards where a story told through mango has to be respected, while listening to logs while exploring a map without combat can't be called a game. All I've ever played of the genre was Dear Esther when it was still just a mod, but the hypocrisy rubs me the wrong way.

No they aren't, that's retarded and you are retarded.

reddit is down the hall to the left

telltale shit are 3D VNs. Walking sims have less interactivity than most VNs.

Walking Simulator/ Entirely story based games can be fine, but rarely justifiable for the price. $5-10 is an okay range, but free is obviously preferable.
I enjoyed Oneshot, though I only got just under 10 hours out of it for $10, and that was with me taking the time to talk to every NPC, get every secret and replay for every ending/Solstice. I'd recommend it if you can get it for under $5 or find it in a share thread or something, though.

Except VNs can have lose conditions.

Retarded statements don't deserve elaborate responses. Here's your last (You) from me, faggot.

So did the Dear Esther source mod: swim too far out from the island and you'd get eaten by fishes or explore too much and you'd fall through the map.

They do if you expect anyone to agree with you. Here I am, looking at you calling someone a retard while refusing to explain why. What am I supposed to think?

If you're going to make a game that isn't a fucking game at all, you shouldn't charge for it. Walking simulators should either be free, or not exist at all.

Space Funeral, Hylics and OFF might as well be walking sims.

t. journalist

I've only played Back to the Future and Tales of Monkey Island, and those telltale games were simplified point and click adventures. You had small inventory and puzzles.

Meanwhile a visual novel can have branching stories, but ultimately is just a very long cutscene.

"You are a meme kid, confident in your knowledge of all the best meems. In front of you, lies an unexpected idea that goes against everything you have known so far. What do you do?"
1. Call it a shill goon bait
2. Discuss the idea
3. Run

I wish they still made cyoa comics. When I was little, there was this Kingdom Hearts lookalike I loved (disney + lotr).

no,it's an accurate term

I see that Neofag refugees are really getting desperate for a new home.

If they don't have a win and a lose condition dependent on the actions of the player, they are not games and thus, they can't be discussed here.

>>>/reddit/

but reddit loves walking sims you retard

How fucking stupid are you?

They aren't, and yes you should go back there.

Holla Forums always hated these non-games you nigger, yume nikki and all those shitty walking sims were only liked by cucks and proto-SJWs.

Nice bait, faggot.

how is yume nikki not a walking sim?

I thought they where all in resetera

Have you seen what that place is like? It's locked down tight. I bet half the neofags didn't even go there with the requirement for a non-free email. And they throw out bans for any minor wrong think you can imagine.

Someone posted a screencap of their discussion about the Subnautica thing and it was pages and pages of people saying "hey can we just talk about games?" or "does EVERYTHING have to be about politics?" and they were instantly banned. ResetEra is eating itself alive.

Yume Nikki is more of an exploration-heavy puzzle game than a walking sim., it only looks like a walking sim on the surface level because many of the puzzles aren't that obvious on first glance or need specific effects to solve them.

Except like all leftist things, it's being propped up by a corrupt industry to keep it from failing. Leaks are dumped there all the time. It's not a forum anymore. It's a cool kids club for those high up on the SocJus foodchain.

But yeah, since it's so locked off the sheep at the bottom who got locked out are trying to find a new home.

so a walking simulator

Yume Nikki is a walking simulator in the same way Riven and other first-person puzzle games are walking simulators. Stop trying to devolve "walking simulator" into a buzzword you can slap onto anything with lots of exploration.

but walking simulators are not video games

Walking simulator = No interaction with the world just -walking-(scripted events as you walk don't count)

I don't know if you're baiting or serious, but c'mon, Yume Nikki has a lot of interaction with the world you play in

You have to be an adult to post here.

I enjoyed Until Dawn

VNs have waifus, walking sims have ugly lesbians

Pick one.

You can tell when halfchan posts

Has less interaction than gone home I assume. Yume Nikki kind of is a meme, but it's not as pretentious and it inspired spin offs and fan art.

I wouldn't mind walking sims/ exploration games were it not for the journo clique pushing what's suppose to be a niche. Bunch of faggots.

WS'd be better with multiple endings.

Do open-world games count as walking simulators?
If it's the case, something from these should be passable.

You don't know what the fuck are talking about then.

If a game is a walking sim even with puzzles then with the same shitty logic Final Fantasy 10 and 13 are walking sims as well. Purely linear games where you walk when you are not in a battle for the whole game. FF10 is the best walking sim if it counts.

So PUBG is a walking sim?

Dear Esther actually does something interesting with it being a game, though. There are three separate narratives of what happened, but as the game progresses, the narrator switches what perspective he experienced it at more and more as he becomes unhinged.

No.
I actually don't know where it would fit in game genres.

Some here argue that some walking sims are good because they have puzzles. I said in that case FF10 and 13 are walking sims as well. GTA can also be a walking sim if you choose it to be. Do that count?

Yes. That’s 95% of the game, and there are no actual gameplay elements. It’s the equivalent of pulling a slot machine lever to see if you walk for 5 minutes or 20 minutes.

And what triggers an ending or another?
That implies a choice, AN INTERACTION with the world so you get ending A or B
Thus not being a walking simulator

Yume Nikki is only remotely good if you know how to get the bike, and after that know how to use the desk glitch.

Ya got to go fast, my man. And drink a lot.

The actual gameplay elements is the gunfights. But i agree with you that 95% of the game is a walking sim (and a boring one at that because you always go to the nearest building)

Then they probably aren't WS.

I also agree with that. Real walking sims have zero gameplay expect for walking (expect rarely some QTEs but i dont count that as real gameplay) I fully understand the hate for those games (dont help that most of them are SJW as well) as i found them to be boring as well.

When you get shot from 300 meters aways you should look at it from both sides. Someone is looking for someone to shoot with a sniper and i would argue that is gameplay. I dont see how that is any different than sniping in games like Battlefield (applies to the old games as well such as BF2)

Isn't that how combat goes in real life? Like vietnamn, iraq even something like travelling between cities in the ancient world. 99% of the time is sitting around board out of your mine. 1% of the time is sheer terror because of a surprise attack.

Go play solitaire.

Honestly there is one game which I could be call walking sim but it would be a large stretch.
Pokemon GO

Personally i like some of the ideas of a Battle Royale game (the whole you are around 100 people on a huge map and you are trying to be the last person to survive) but i found them to be too slow and lacking of action. I hope someone will make a BR game that have the movement and weapons of an arena shooter (think PUBG with Quake or UT movement and weapons)

Argueable it can be as the only gameplay is flicking a ball to catch pokemons and the very shallow gym fights. But i only played for 1 day before i found out how shitty the game was so i dont know if they added more gameplay to it (if anyone here knows then tell me)

Nigger, all Gone Home lets you do is open doors and pick up stuff laying around a house. Yume Nikki has assloads more interactivity and fail states but plebs never experiment enough to realize this.

It is gameplay if there are a win or lose condition based on what you do in a game. You can lose in solitare if you are unlucky or play the more hardcore variants where you draw 3 cards at the top left at a time and can only draw your top left deck 3 times.

Guys, guys, guys, we already have a term for that type of game hiking simulator. If there's genuine gameplay but the majority of the time is just walking or running around it's hiking if there's nothing but a fucking story shit it's walking.

Hey, it worked with sonic games, undertale, earthbound, Super Mario World and a bunch of other games the "curtailing the hivemind to hate a game I don't like" has been a thing for ages, to the point that it can be used to identify secondary faggots on the board.

I walk for real, I need no simulation, just like all ordinary humans like me yes.

Real life, there are such sights waiting to be seen. Seriously, go outside, you don't have to talk with people if you don't want to.

then shut the fuck up and stop talking about shit you don't know anything about.

Because there's no reason to hate sonic games other than hivemind hate. It's not like they had a good run of about 20 years where they didn't make a good game. :^)

You know what, you've convinved me, Chris-Chan. OMFG I love sonic now!

OFP/ARMA

What Remains of Edith Finch was great. I don't really care if faggots liked it.

I was going to say the same, it's the only walking sim I've ever enjoyed, it felt like it knew exactly what it was, not a game but an interactive story, it used the medium perfectly in ways you can't do with books and film. I'd love to see more shit like this. On top of that it was short and sweet. Would recommend, especially to people who have fucking had it with games like Firewalks and Gone Homes etc. It doesn't pretend to be anything else than an on-rails sight seeing tour, and it works perfectly.

in hindsight can we all at least agree that LSD simulator and Yumi nikki are shit and the soyboy fan-base it spawned where and are cancer. That the reason Cuckchan was cucked is because cross-dressing beta manlets where able to smuggle their nihilistic values into cuckchan through the promotion of these poorly made indiepixelshitz?

Or at least could you make a General or Containment Board for this Walking simulator cancer? Because I am not opposed to you existing, and I don't want to shit on your shallow pretentious garbage but can you take your cross dressing /r9k/ pink hair shit and put it back into the closet?

:^)

Consider suicide.

Checked, walking simulators can eat a dick (just like OP).

Maybe you should stop expecting every game to be like COD and die already. Your shit games overstayed their welcome over a decade ago.

the biggest problem with asthmatic grandpa simulators is that they're not games, more akin to CYOA books or interactive movies. >>>Holla Forums or something

I've had some extremely emotional expirences playing these walking simulators. Like gone home really changed how I felt about the world. Cried really hard at the ending.But god was it good.

Dear esther was powerful as well. The fact is that these games are expirences, life changing ones. And anyone who cant see that just isnt in touch with their emotions.

If you had a main character of WS be in a wheelchair (and can't go up steps or stairs without fixing the power source for a stairlift) would it still be considered a WS?

What about pedometer based games?

Go back to resetera you pretentious faggots.

Checked.

kill yourself

Italian comic book artists can make some fantastic shit, too bad all the plots are ripoffs and the names are cringeworthy.

dear esther was full on LOST syndrome, i expected it to go somewhere, but it was all empty space alluding to nothing.
Dear Esther would be just as good with no story at all, it's pointless. the terrain is the entire game.

No, they're right. You must be a cod kiddie and should fuck off back to reddit.

If you're looking for walking simulators where you won't entirely regret installing and spending the time on it, I've only done two: Stanley Parable and Yume Nikki.
In both cases, there really isn't much reason to keep them installed after you've hit all the highlights.

How uncreative is the person who wrote this? Also,
Come on now.

Fuck off with this kikery.

Stop being so sensitive. It didn't say xe or anything like that. Some people have vaginas, and there's nothing Jewish about that.

You should learn what a game is and teach it your fellow hipsterbeards at resetera.

"Good walking simulators" like the two op posted have 0% narrative, you just walk around exploring and looking at weird shit. LSD isn't even in English and nobody cares enough to translate it because you can just google what little text it actually has.

Too late. Have you seen the last YN thread? It about as bad as this one.

lol underrated post bro

Two wrong opinions don't make a right.