-You see some stairs leading to a roguelike thread

-You see some stairs leading to a roguelike thread
->

Im in the mood to get back into Roguelikes, what are you playing anons?
A couple of months ago I finished The Slimy Lichmummy, it was actually the third roguelike I ever beat besides the first few difficulty modes of DoomRL (including the AoB challenge) and TraumaRL.
I should go back to ToME and give it a couple of spins, Im in the mood for something a bit more long meaty in terms of content.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/628770/Tangledeep/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck off, they're simple games. Stop trying to be cool.

< Roguelike thread
< text adventure prompt
anyway, I hit > like a motherfucker and descend them stairs. I don't even equip anything, cos I'm gonna kill the first thing I see with my bear hands and then skin it and wear it as a dress.
I recently started playing some cheap and relatively rubbish roguelike on Switch called Dragon Fang and the Dungeon of Time or some shit. It has an interesting hook in the way abilities are collected and used but it's kinda shitty.
I'm really hankering for a Shiren the Wanderer on Switch though.
One day I will beat Nethack. One day…

If I wanted to brag I would have made a bunch of shit up instead of mentioning a coffee break game and a fucking 7DRL user

Say what you want about the devs stupid decisions, but i still think Cataclysm:DDA is one of the better roguelike games out there.

Did they add trannies?

Why is the shotgun build so OP in DoomRL?
It almost makes me not want to play anything else because it's so much fun stomping the shit out of demons.

From what I've heard from anons here, DDA is poorly balanced and anything fun is immediately nerfed because people "overuse it".

I couldn't get a car to start when I played it so I gave up and dletd it.

i wipe my ass by shoving the toilet paper under my dick and wiping my ass while sitting

a vampire chainsaw build is super fun, and then you can just upgrade to the lance of Longinus and skewer the mastermind with ease

kill yourself

Aside from fursuits, gimp character classes, and dildo weapons for instance, the devs seem to like autistic levels of overmanagement and realism.
In one instance they added vitamins to your food needs, which made things a gigantic pain in the ass since varied foods are scarce, being the apocalypse and all.
They had to add a multivitamin item, just to balance that crap out.

Also in a relatively recent build they made painkillers mandatory for installing bionics. Which while it is reasonable since you are basically doing surgery on yourself, it still ends up annoying, since you cant dope up on low level painkillers from town, and have to hope to find a hospital that spawed some appropriate drugs. And then wait a couple of in game hours for the damn things to actually kick in.
Pretty sure the also nerfed solar panels, since fuck you for wanting renewable resources as a viable backup.

Don't forget a while back needing to clean clothes from zombies or else suffer a huge morale penalty.
I don't go to their forums but apparently the main dev is a giant faggot.

do you have to clean the fursuits too?

You should be burning all fursuits, Talmuds, and Qurans you come across anyway.

Y'all niggers ever play dungeon crawl stone soup? I enjoy it personally but its really the only rougelike I've played so if it's shit compared to other games I wouldn't really know.

Crawl is great, but I wish the devs were less focused on removing stuff with every update

currently Broguetho' I did play doomrl and hyperrogue a little bit few days ago.

What are some roguelikes with good build making?

Yeah, though I've been enjoying how all foods have been combined into rations now.

It doesn't work in higher difficulties, since demons can snipe you with 100% accuracy before you get close to them.
And the fucking revenants+mancubus can and WILL fuck your shit up with rockets, pushing you back if you ever try to move forward.
Sadly, shotguns are the way in DoomRL, because you can wait in a corner, shoot demons around it, and push them back, making them unable to hit you.
Random revenant snipers/mancubus/arch-viles will still fuck you up.

store.steampowered.com/app/628770/Tangledeep/

This any good? The soundtrack is good so far but I need to listen to it more.

I have no idea how beating harder difficulties was supposed to be possible when cornershooting was officially a bug. Since it was adopted as a part of the game the whole thing feels balanced around it (although "balanced" is probably too strong a word given how much it skews gameplay).

I'm glad I stopped playing DCSS. One of the only big roguelikes I've legitimately beaten (15 rune, twice), and it often felt like an unmotivating slog even back then. I can hardly imagine what it'd be like with even less variation.

One thing about Brogue I kinda dislike is that I can spam auto-explore almost mindlessly for first three levels and not worry about dying(well, admittely in case of depth 3, it depends bit on layout). Like only way to die on depth 1 is by very bad luck

You can't do it without cornershooting, since the enemies have a better LOS than you, in fact, most of my runs end in three ways:
The third is not related to LOS, but it's fucking infuriating.

They don't technically have a better LOS, but their turns are after yours, so if you step into vision they'll always have the first shot and probably push you back anyway Mancubi are a special case, they'll keep blindfiring at you even if you get pushed out of view. You have to spend absurd amounts of turns waiting for them to come into view on their own. You can kinda predict where enemies will be since their pathing will always naturally trend towards the middle of the map. Even knowing that, it's still tedious and not really practical at all without shotgun radar.

I just started Elona, I know there's a separate thread but I figured I'd mention it.

Ammochain fucks shit up once you get a plasma gun, I turned Angel of 100 into mincemeat by just chainfiring every time I stepped into a room. Eagle eye also works great with rapidfire weapons, especially since you can get intuition with it too. Pistols are also fantastic, once they deal enough damage they'll start knocking back enemies with each shot, and you can kill everything in like half a second with very little cost. Shotguns just take a lot less investment to be useful compared to most weapons, but they get less effective later in the game.

This nigger has never beat a RL to the point he'd have to google YAAP, and then lie about that too.

It just so happened that I started Dungeons of Dredmore again today before reading this thread. Rolled a random character, died on level 2. I think I'll try that same character again this time take it more seriously.

I second that question. It looks cute, but I need more than that.

The levels on Dredmore take so long to clear, I generally run out of energy for the game before floor 4

If I recall correctly there was an option for smaller dungeons

Is there a cowboy/western roguelike?

I really liked this game when it first came out. I remember though that rl generals on half Chan there after really hated it, almost as bad as the hate for banjo kazooie n&b. I liked it a lot though because it was like a characature on the roguelike genre with endless and often unnecessary variety of items of all type you can tell that there was a lot of effort put in.

CDDA was opened up to the community years ago after the guy who created it stopped developing it. The main, major fork of what CDDA has become has been developed since then mainly by a central dev (pretty sure his name is Kevin something). He has this ridiculous obsession with trying to make anything and everything realistic, which sounds fine in theory but in reality makes shit horrendously fucking tedious and stupid.

And going off of this, I had the misfortune of getting curious enough one day while reading about various development features to be potentially added, that I stumbled onto a few old posts and conversations on github and plebbit. These old posts involved Kevin and a few other would be contributors to the code here and there. Long story short, Kevin is a horrible, horrendous fucking faggot; not in the annoying flaming homo kind of way, it's just that he's a massively autistic, egotistical, self centered asshole who REEEEEES and throws a giant fit anytime someone says or does anything he doesn't want with his fork. He's overly serious, overly sensitive, is crotchety and grumpy constantly, hates fun things, and overall attempts to act like an ironfisted dictator about CDDA to the point of being abusive and temperamental. If people paid more attention to the shit he does, he'd be a lolcow.
The only reason anyone puts up with him is because he keeps his nose to the grindstone developing code nobody else wants to do. That his fork has become the mainstay and lifeblood of what CDDA is today has given him a huge ego and he's a prick all the time because of it.

It's a fine game for screwing around with skill/item combinations and character building. But it has a critical flaw in that while you can come up with quite a lot of fun shit that works for most of the game, much of it is practically incapable of getting past certain floors let alone winning. And it's repetitive and kinda buggy, but not ruiningly so.

Just played some of it. It's one of those roguelikes where there's some progression between runs, in that you can transfer over items and "town progress" to new characters. (Though that is optional)
The graphics are extremely cute, there are multiple classes and some of the abilities are pretty fun, though a few feel kinda lazy.
The minimum resolution is 1280x720, which is awful for toaster users like me who want to play a RL while they watch something, can't forget to say that.
Will play more and report back

Fucking christ, how was I supposed to know it was gonna pull this bullshit? I am so mad.

there's some stupid shit you can do like equipping two shields and using unarmed shit since shields aren't weapons, but the crap performance of the game make me stop playing often

goddammit lost my character due to stupid mistake involving caustic gas trap and staff of obstruction

Is there any rougelike that lets me hoard a harem of waifus?

it's give or take the same shit you'd see in any other one of it's kind,the one time it does try to do something different with the enchanting system it still comes up just short.Frankly i'm only a few hours in so far and it's got jack shit on Elona and even Dredmor manages to do the whole meat&potatoes,which is the dungeon crawling, better than it

Elona.

This isn't roguelike because it's not ASCII

t. roguelike pro

that's enough for anyone to ingore anything you say past this point

this tbh

only brony furfags still play that shit

I guess that must be a Trigun bug because it's not supposed to work like that. I'm sure I've nuked JC in the past and not had any problems.

Actually it can't be the Trigun since I have a mortem where I did the same thing you did but got the full victory. Maybe you killed yourself with the angel arm activation cost? Is that even possible?

now I have to play until I find that thing

I definitely didn't kill myself, because I was at about half HP in that one turn after the level got destroyed.

did he not lay on the sarcastic irony thick enough for you?

Yeah, but I'm not sure if the pencentage changes when you use angel arm or not. It might be worth checking the mortem to see what your real HP was on the last turn. Undoubtedly the game's fucked up somehow but I don't understand why it would.

The mortem is weird, it's showing me with 0 hp, but nothing hit me after using angel arm, and it even said I was safe. Dunno what to make of it.

It's like you're not even trying

Managed to go back and beat JC for real. Felt fucking good too, he was spawning 8 Barons or Revenants every fucking turn but they all got an instant abortion by lava. Thanks napalm launcher. Now since I've fully beaten UV, guess it's time for Nightmare. Let the real suffering begin.

Leaving my opinions of gender aside, trying to read that part is annoying and confusing, specially given that english is not my native language, fucking hell.

Speaking of roguelikes with Tolkien names, are there any lore friendly forks of Moria or Angband besides Sil? I want to play something set in the actual Moria

Post?

I'm going to play some comfy SLEX tonight.

You're a cuck.

anyone got a copy of this book to share?

Sorry for blogposting, but for fuck's sake, I cannot make it past the 2nd floor anymore. I used to get quite far in this game, but now it's like every time I get gangraped by some shit like five diggles jumping out of the ground and surrounding me. And I have no instant healing potions, no wands that would do enough damage and food doesn't regenerate as fast as the diggles hurt me.

that would explain why the modding forums are dead at this point and none of the essential mods are being updated

CDDA Holla Forumsersion when?

Why the fuck would you read a book about video games?

Fuck forgot image/

I think some anons were actually working on that around 2016 or so, if I remember right.

is there a CDDA version that goes beyond the 0.c build?

Yeah they were but just like nigs in SS13 people wanted to add bloat or there own great OC DONUT STEAL
I really don't mind the older versions of the game, I tried to make a mod that made all zombies have fur suits so you were killing zombie furry's but I am a half assed nigga.

The if you want a 'stable build' then no, all the new shit is on the experimental versions.

all I remember was Remove Dildoes tbh

get the cdda launcher, its an SVN type thing that updated your game every day

Not to mention Tenachs, Gospels, and Vedas. All but the Avesta is heresy. Someone should make a Zoroastrian game. Kill cats to restore your salvation bar, prostrate before fire to improve your faith stat.

Elona is decent but the start is so horribly slow it makes me drop the game almost always

Why the fuck do you care?

I've been trying out the new version of Stone Soup, and I'm playing lots of Demonspawn. Did they change the demon mutations to benefit you based on your background? I'm consistently getting useful mutations for these guys, and I love it.

Are there any rogue-likes I should try to get into the genre? I love stuff like Nuclear Throne but when I tried ADOM it put me off completely. Any other stuff with some rogue-like influence worth playing is welcome too, though I guess since this thread is specifically about rogue-likes there'll be hostility towards rogue-lites and the like.

play rogue

I think brogue would be good game for beginner

Brogue is pretty good. It's simple but engaging and the tileset is great.

Stop reading my mind.

I'll read those quads
sage for autism post

sorry;_;

This seems alright, the UI isn't a clusterfuck and looks quite nice as well. I notice when I press S to search nothing seems to happen, so I take it I'll only be notified if I find something? Should I just press it once in each room I explore?

well, usually secret doors(and traps) are rather obvious and they usually appear after one or two presses(i've very rarely required more than three). altho' in case of multiple traps in same room, you do need to press multiple times to reveal them all. as for pressing s in every room once, I guess there's no harmn in it. I personally start searching when I can't find way forward, or there's an obvious secret door, or I want to find all the traps in the room. Also, I think there's some sort of passive search or something, because you can discover traps and secret doors even without pressing the s.

Cataclysm: DDA (choose starting stats, traits and skills)
Caves of Qud (choose starting stats, class and mutations)
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (choose from varied list of class and race)
Tales of Maj'Eyal (choose starting class, race, stats and abilities)
Bonus: Dwarf Fortress adventure mode

In DDA, what are the odds that a car will be functional without any repairs? I'm learning the game and I haven't gotten a car yet, but I just watched vid related and this guy just stumbles on a fully functional car within 10 minutes.

sometimes youll have a working order armored truck outside the house you spawn in, which happened to me on my current char, sometimes you wont find a working car for an hour of play
Id say one in 20 is drivable, but that includes punctured or empty gas tanks, missing a wheel or two etc
if you want to bring up your mechanics skill quickly from 0 to at least 2, find or craft a soldering iron and just dry repair random plastic shit like cash cards

Depends. It either works out that they have gas and a battery, but no tires. Or tires but no gas or a battery. Sometimes you get lucky, a solar car early on is pretty handy.
Shopping carts are your best friend too.

>Get ye flask

Modern Angband has nothing to do with the original creator, and has received quite a few updates and improvements.

Fuckin' FETA camp.

Thanks for suggesting Brogue folks, I'm having a pretty good time with it. Might have a look at modding as well since it doesn't require an artfag.

There's a fun idea.
Post your high scores in whatever the fuck you're playing and everyone else can make fun of you.

Havent played in a while

here's mine. still haven't beaten brogue, despite getting the amulet couple of times

who /elona+/ here

I have a lot of trouble getting anything in this game. It seems like I can never make it to any high value targets because I always end up attracting a horde and getting eaten alive after they find me hiding in a closet or something. I can barely survive fighting more than 1 zombie. Anything tougher requires me to maneuver it onto a bed or something and that just usually attracts more. Brutes just punch me through walls and into the waiting maws of a horde outside. My makeshift crowbar clearly isn't enough, how do I be sneaky? All I want is a car, a gun, and a stash of crack to call my own.

First of all stop using butt ugly grafix packs and use minimalist master race grafix packs.

After that, if you start at the shelter the meta goes as follows:
Tear down curtains, dont break the window in the process.
Pick up heavy stick, bash one of the metal shelves and a couple of benches.
Get out of the shelter and grab 2 or more stones, then go back inside and craft a knife and a hammer. Craft a screwdriver while youre at it if you can.
This gives you protection:
Cut up the sheets you tore down earlier, disassemble the long strings, then the short ones into thread. Craft a wooden needle and dry practice repairing on rags until you get to level 3 tailoring. At that point you should be able to complement your outfit with coats and cargo pants and actually have some basic protection.
This gives you damage:
Craft a spear and youre combat ready. Thats it. Makeshift crowbar is a tool, not a weapon.

Always kite zombies into brushes and other terrain obstructions, that basically takes away half of their APs, poke at them with the spear. Dont take on multiple zombies at the same time unless you got some serious iron. Firearms are nice but you will have to subsist on melee weapons for a lot of encounters.

If you want to be sneeky breeky you have to memorize the locations of the buildings in the area you wanna raid, then go in at night, and rek the zambies that happen to spot you, or pull out if you aggro too many. When in doubt, leg it. Running mode is >"< by the way.

You can also hunt small animals in the woods for food, just be sure to not attract Mr Moose and Mrs Bobcat. If you manage to find a working car, to grind your mechanics skill up in order to maintain or repair it, dry repair plastic chunks with a soldering iron.

I once died on turn 8 in Nethack.

its not like its packaged with the fucking game or anything
I bet your faggot ass didnt know theres an isometric mode in the game too

It being packaged with the game doesn't tell me which one it is.

nah, he's just a roguelike pro,

What's the latest, non-trash version?
I enjoyed the stable 0.C until I found out I was running an outdated version, migrated to the experimental, deleted the stable, then regretted everything.

Also is Coolthulhu's slightly outdated fork any better than the current main experimental version?

I havent tried bright nights yet but theres optional blacklists packaged in for all significant changes since 0.C

No there's not. There's an endless amount of bullshit they have done since 0.C that has ruined the game and is not available to be removed as a mod.

for example?

How is Caves of Qud?

vehicle construction fuckery like engine loads

bloated item pool with a whole bunch of redundant garbage like 50 million different tops, 50 million different hats, etc

nerfed books

Just off the top of my head.

Dildoes

what about them changed
thats a DDA inherent thing
how
I legit dont know as I wasnt following development most of the time
I know throwing was changed somehow but I never used throwing so I wouldnt know

again, DDA inherent thing

Does anyone here have access to the Jupiter Hell pre-alpha? I'd like to see if my toaster can handle it.

I don't know what it is about these games, they're so simple and primitive, but by god are they fun.
Does anybody have any idea why they're such enjoyable games?

They're the exact opposite of AAA sandboxes. Games like GTA & TES are a mile wide and an inch deep. Roguelikes are an inch wide and a mile deep.

UnRealWorld is fun.

Car engines now have a maximum load they can carry, which can so broken that if you overload the car by a few tens or hundreds of lbs/kg the car refuses to start. This is highly unrealistic. I've seen a straight 4-cyl Lada engine carry over 1-2 extra tons of weight. That, and often if there's something else wrong with the car it'll bitch about carry weight.

Still doesn't warrant having to bloat the item spawn lists with so many redundant items. I want useful items to spawn in my world not just different colored straw fedoras.

Haven't played enough of the experimental to know how they nerfed books. Skill erosion was already a bullshit mechanism Kev clings to like magnet.

This reminds me of that first person doom roguelike only on ios. I really wish I could play that shit.

I like it but it suffers from the same problems of other "open world" or overworld roguelikes such as ToME. There's just too much repetition in story, world, quests, and travelling for a roguelike. The setting and faction are unique but it would just work better for an adventure game. Character progression is really good though. Good verity in builds through abilities, equipment en skills.

Resurrection? Because the other two Doom RPGs (& the Wolfenstein one) run on practically everything, including Java that you can emulate on a PC.

eh, I dont mind the engine shit since I can just slap more engines in, and dildo bloat was in the game since DDA came to be, I just cut down the useless shit to rags and move on
skill rust has been disabled for me across literally thousands of builds
Im not sure if I disabled it manually at some point or if its disabled by default but theres that

Brogue is as streamlined and simple as a RL can get without being boring or unchallenging. I've ascended a couple times on it. There are weekly (and sometimes daily) seed challenges posted by the small community at plebbit.

If you're new to CDDA it makes more sense to turn off "wandering hordes" in the world setup options. With that off, the only zombies that exist are those placed their upon world generation. They don't respawn after you kill them, and zombies don't wander from area to area aside from a very small range. Once you clear an area, it's cleared. This makes it very easy and pretty boring later on, but for your first time, learning and understanding what you're doing and how everything works is more important than struggling to deal with wandering hordes.
With said hordes turned on, you need to check your map constantly to see where they are. Wandering hordes are actually randomly wandering spawn points that only begin spawning in zombies when they get close enough to your current location; they can be a mix of easy to deal with low level mobs (which is still dangerous early game) or a horrifying amalgamation of shit that makes you want to run and scream. Wandering hordes can turn an uneventful and dull situation into a deadly one very fucking quickly, so I don't recommend trying to deal with them on your first playthrough.

This looks exactly like the tileset I used when I last played but it didn't have those other icons, the dead mobs looked different and there wasn't any kind of art for whatever that is in the bottom right of the first screenshot. What's the name of the tileset? Is it a different one or did the artist update it?

those screens are around a year old, its one of the packaged tilesets
I used it for a while but I thought it wasnt very readable and the isometric perspective fucked with my driving

Huh. Not when I played, I had to manually install it. It also wasn't isometric, either, unless there's a tileset that uses those tiles and makes it iso as well. I wouldn't want to play with iso either, going up and to the right when I press 5 is just disorienting for me.
Also, that moose should not be an M, it should have its own icon, because I know when I used that tileset it did. Aaaaand…
oy fucking vey. To your credit those may not be your own screenshots but still. Idk if CDDA has Muay Thai but that's be a far better bet. Leave it to Kev to put in something to fucking gay, though.

it does, even the / menu shifts counter-clockwise, thats one of the reasons I stopped using it, it fucked with my maximum hoarder routines
mods override entities, and overriden entities cant cross reference sprites
krav maga is the meta you dolt
its the best for non-close combat focused characters because it gives you free DPS in both unarmed and melee without much investment

I know why you would use it mechanically, I'm ribbing you for it because in real life it's a stupid made up martial arts kikes invented in israel in an attempt to make the world think they're more srs bidness than they actually are. It's a stupid meme and a stupid meme only, is my point, I'm not actually saying anything about it in reference to the game mechanics.
Like I said, of all martial arts to put in the game/make good enough for a meta, of course Kev is going to make it be the one that's the least legitimate and realistic. Ironic. At risk of getting too offtopic here though

Another user answered the engine load thing.

They set an intelligence requirement to be able to learn from books. Also, I'm pretty sure having to memorize blueprints wasn't always a thing. Now you have to keep the book with you even after reading it fully if you want to craft things from it. You have to craft something several times before you don't need the book for it. It's just another tedious "m-muh realism" bullshit decision.

Actually, they do. You have to (s)mash them into pulp to prevent them from reviving. Or just turn off revivification. It's either an option or a mod I don't remember.

Right right, but [s]mashing in their skulls when they're downed is just so second nature after you become a non-noob CDDA player that you don't even think about it anymore. I even forgot that you had to do that just because I always do it. I also think that there's some option in the game itself that has you automatically pulp the corpse when you walk over it, but depending on your outlook of the mechanic that can either be good by reducing tedium for something you'd do anyway or bad because it ensures you never have a lapse of memory or judgement and accidentally overlook one of the corpses which will give you a surprise later.

Why do I ever fucking bother buying games. Recently I've kept feeling ripped off because of shit like this with games from DRM free places being out of date, not even touching the fact I usually end up paying slightly more because Steam versions are always on sale. But the fucking DRM free version requiring Steam takes the cake. Fuck Steam with a rusty rake.

Anyone know where I can pirate an up to date version of this?

Actually wait I'm retarded, this is why it won't start.
Into the trash it goes, Unit, not even once.

fuck