Hard and ballsy RPGs

Throw at me RPG with deep character progression and extensive character creation mechanics, that is hard as balls and requires tactical planning of your every move.
Preferably where i can become broken mage, but that's optional.

Other urls found in this thread:

ngplus.net/InsaneDifficultyArchive/www.insanedifficulty.com/board/indexf5c8.html?/topic/5567-seiken-densetsu-3-sin-of-mana-discussion/
hooktube.com/watch?v=9fhg-wTqyM8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, nigger

Morrowind

Just get drunk and play a normal game

why?

Inquisitor is hard. Problem is that combat is complete dogshit.

Divinity Original Sin on tactician mode?

ngplus.net/InsaneDifficultyArchive/www.insanedifficulty.com/board/indexf5c8.html?/topic/5567-seiken-densetsu-3-sin-of-mana-discussion/

it doesn't have everything, you have to pick a party of 3 out of a number of characters but if you play this on the hardest difficulty available it's a pretty dang good challenge.

Elminage Gothic if you like the wizardy type of rpg.

Ultimate VIII

Try asking the RPG Codex. They're on top of this shit.

I'm guessing Temple of Elemental Evil with Circle of Eight mod, but I dunno.

Arcanum?
No classes, you pretty much just add points into everything you want, creating your own 'class'
Your race determines some dialog.
Your int determines dialog and quests.
Pretty much everything in varying levels of importance.
Combat and dungeons are a common criticism for Arcanum, so there's that at least, heh.

Arcanum wasn't hard it was just badly unpolished and unbalanced.

Morrowind for a first person rpg
or ToEE patched for isometics.

Age of Decadence / Dungeon Rats, but there's no spellcasting magic.

Arcanum is a good game but there are entirely too many builds to roflstomp all over the combat and never give a shit.

Dungeons And Dragons

Goldbox games
Wizardry 1-4

Might and Magic series of RPGs are good, hard and ballsy…. And you can become a powerhouse mage as well.

Just play Fire Emblem. As a bonus, there are no niggers.

This game allegedly

it'll be hard alright

There's nothing hard in rpgs you dumb nigger.
Hard only means you have to grind more you cunt. fuck off.

There's nothing hard in [x genre] you dumb nigger.
Hard only means you have to [central mechanic to genre] more you cunt. fuck off.

oh boy

There actually are RPGs that do not let you freely grind, dumbfucks.

I hope they get around to porting it.

What he said, no one here knows shit about RPGs that aren't anime grinders honestly.
Despite loving RPGs I don't have anything to contribute to the thread because RPGs that punish you for not building your character off a sheet 20 hours of gameplay ago are unfun for me.

Maybe if you are a JRPG player.

How can a black man be a mage? Doesn't being a mage require high int stats?

He could be a watermelon mage with maxed out stealth and stealing

There are exceptions to every rule.

Only the higher level spells, and it looks like he's just casting a cantrip. I'm more interested in the purpose of those retarded looking pauldrons and the cuffs hanging from one.

maybe it's not mage any more than average rapper is goldsmith

this. the original sin series has everything you're asking. you can find a torrent in the share thread.

Eat shit

its called fantasy, you double nigger.

What?

NIGGER

He probably means Arx part of the game, which was terrible. You know, black lesbian paladins.

ADOM

Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2

If you want them to be hard as fuck, difficulty is very accessible

If you want hard, you go for 80's RPGs.

Wizardy
Bards Tale
Might and Magic I and II
Rogue and its ilk

But these games are punishingly hard, in the one-hit-kill sense.
But if you beat them you will level up and you will gain Neckbeard+3 as a reward.

Fuck no, not even remotely hard. You'll spend more time agonizing over gun mods than you will suffering through the terrible cutscene storyline that I pretty much started skipping less than halfway through. It is, however, fun .

It's an action RPG, but you have to manage and play as the whole party.

The good news is that it really does attempt to balance for tactical combat. The bad news is that you can still cheese through it all once you git gud. Also the writing is fucking cheesy.

Go back to 4chan you filthy scrub. What part of Dungeon Siege is

I've played it before. It is an extremely repetitive and simplistic grind with virtually zero tactical thought. Great engine. Shit gameplay.

tyranny is a very good prg

By the end of PoE you pretty much need to do extreme micromanagement of every single move each one of your characters has to do and constantly pause or you will be raped to death

It's also possible I am very bad at the game and have a hard time playing it

This is why you gas the entire city

That's mainly because PoE has a retarded system for nearly everything

Exile III: Ruined World

Dante Must Die mode: don't look up how any of the game's systems supposedly work

Impressive

I like SMT - I'm playing Nocturne right now - but that wouldn't count as a CRPG series now would it owo

What I think would be really neat would be playing some of the games made by fans with the toolkits released for those sorts of dungeon crawlers back in the day. Would you be able to recommend any of those?

Mordor: Depths of Dejenol

It was programmed in fucking visual basic for Win98 machines anything you have now is not compatible

You sure you want to go down this road, partner?

Gothic 2 with the expansion is brutally hard. Be prepared to suck up every last little bit of experience you can possibly get because you need ALL of it.

Voodoo magic

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, if you're into roguelikes.

I wouldn't call this game hard as balls, but the becoming a broken mage part is done beautifully in SaGa Frontier.

So we finna be some ascended god hood and sheit? yumsaying fam?

Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis. I managed to accidentally create a burned-out mage because I didn't know enough about the RPG to know that cybernetics would destroy my magic abilities. I ended up finishing the game with enough magical ability to maybe light a cigarette. My buddy knew all about it the original RPG and, when he got a look at Sega's version, he went bananas, bought it, and played it over the next 72 hours.
>hooktube.com/watch?v=9fhg-wTqyM8

worth playing for its uniqueness alone, can not think of any other game quite like it. but it is true, you will spend a lot of time building the most ridiculous weaponry, and you'll like it.

Why has nobody made a bullet hell RPG?

Most of the bullet hell stuff is zoomed out.

there's Rugitta, party based with equipment, levels etc., though it's not a traditional vertical bullet hell. I say it's closer to Fantasy Zone or twinstick shooters.

what?

google Nier gameplay video.

Also Touhou Youyoumu.

No why'd you post that image is what I asked about. bored are you?

I once had an (half) orc sorcerer in Neverwinter Nights 2. That shit felt like hard mode, but was fun as hell…

Some people just love challenges…

7th saga is pretty hard.
And has great music

Japanese release with a translation patch is a breeze.

an amazing game, the music is top notch

Too bad the sequel sucks and is nothing like it in tone at all.

FRUA is the way to go. And there are some ball bustingly hard modules for it too. There are a lot of converted DnD modules such as Ravenloft and Planescape related ones. Search Codex for the list of the modules, Im sure there is a thread with them listed.

Nocturne
You can be a broken eye-beam, earth-mancer caster!

patrician tastes, friend
The spritework in this game was truly threatening. It had this presence of danger. The enemies weren't fucking around.

and FRUA has a lot of the older goldbox games converted too

Who here has actually beaten Rogue? I did at work, but I'm at a call-center and that gave me loads of free time

You have to be a fucking retard to have challenge playing those games. OP said "hard as balls", not "soloable if your IQ is above an average nigger"

I honestly don't remember having any persisting challenge in any non-modded RPG I've played, and I've played most of them. FO2, PoE, Dragon's Dogma and maybe some others had some occasional challenge, but you get too powerful very fast.
Mods is where it's at:
Witcher 1 (FCR);
DA:O (FCR);
Dragon's Dogma (Madeleine's mod);
PoE (IE mod, just nuke exp gains to oblivion to get some late game challenge);
That's what I can remember off the top of my head, there must be at least a couple more

undertale
not hard though

It's a joke once you understand that the game's difficulty doesn't revolve around monsters but around maximizing loot collection and shopping; which is done in order to combat the ridiculous stat inflation.

Anyways, there aren't any difficult RPG games post 2000 except for The Last Remnant. If you want difficulty you need to go with mods, but most mods are completely retarded with how they handle difficulty. Most of them do it by either completely changing the game's systems which alters the combat's flow OR they just cheat extra stats/resists on every enemy and call it a day.

Two decent mods that DONT fall into the aforementioned trap is Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 (link in share thread, the insanedifficulty versions are retarded) and Swordcoast Stratagems for Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.

Grimoire, if you don't recruit NPCs

USA release is not hard if you get good

diablo ii

It kinda sucks that so much of the difficulty rests on your choice of character and sidekick. If you pick a lemon Kamil or pair up with someone who doesn't complement your strength… WEW. And of course it's all slot machine mechanics. The strategy is in noticing that things exist. Secret items, stat buffs.

That map music though…

I remember being freaked out by the chimeras in the first dungeon. I had different feelings toward the sexy snek

Some people mentioned The Last Remant but I want to ask you, does obscuring every mechanic in the game amount to it being a genuinely difficult game? The game itself isn't any more difficult than any random rpg when you know all the mechanics.

You mean like this bullet hell RPG?

DT2 fits your criteria minus deep character progression. It's only on Vita though. Don't let the cute girls fool you there are post game dungeons with 20+ floors that form interconnected puzzles with teleporters and holes all with the simple goal of breaking your sanity.

I've noticed that many games made by Sting have very tightly tuned difficulties. I played an srpg by them called Gungnir on the highest difficulty the game offered me. Managing to beat that game without looking anything up still fills me with pride, every single map felt like a this is a battle im supposed to lose but it wasn't. Sting is a good studio.

OP I think you'd enjoy embed related more.

Have I finally become a normie?

4 is a sequel to 1-3 where you play as the villain from 1
5 is standalone though IIRC you can import your characters to 6
6 leads into 7

you might enjoy Might & Magic. 3 created a gridbased dungeon crawler system that lets you deal with distant threats (by shooting them)
this system would persist

I'll try them out, thanks.

Yes you have

normalfags say normie, so yes, you've been one all along.