Games with impressive textures

Long story short, I'm walking through the tiling section at a home department, and I found out that the tiles they have on "display" are actually just pictures. I honestly didn't know that the displays weren't real tile because they look so real compared to the actual tiles they sell below them. How I found out there were fake was when I went to feel the texture of the display. Thinking back to games, I was just wondering what games are out there that have superb texturing while rather simple geometry.

Literally anything that can be modded for 4k textures.

Wait, wait, before we talk about video games.
That's a picture of a tile?

Metal Slug has amazing textures.

Yes, the tiles are on the shelf below in and on the boxes.

That thread was forced and unfunny

What thread?

Lurk moar.

that was years ago user, keep going

Wow, and I thought this board was totally gone. Good job, user.

I know damn well what thread it was, I was just feigning ignorance.

At long last, a reason to post this classic "meme," as the kids call it.

I'm just here to call you a faggot.
Excellent bait, user

Damn, this thread died fast.

UT comes to mind, 2k4 still looks excellent and is only 5 gigs, possibly smaller if you use a repack.

Oooohhh shit is it…

Is that…

Is that what I think it is

LE EBIN MEYMAY OF LE TILE MASTURBATOR ?

WEEEEEW NIGGA ONLY OLDFAGS REMEMBER EPIIIIKKKK MAN :DDDDDDDDDD

B
R
O
F
I
S
T

woah guys whats going on here? we talking about old memesters?

Why are modern game designers so stupid?

Do a GET please EFG

If you turn off blur, you will see jaggies on those trees.

nice exif data op, I like your facebook pictures.

you will live in a time that someone could appropriate that comic and newfags here will legitimately not know the original source.

We live in a time where newfags here could have been born after the comic was created.

its not like he's producing CP or anything, even if i post my IP address or told you were i live the fact is that most people are so irrelevant that nobody cares.

UT04 is a great example for sure. I love how there still are a ton of these mid 2000s games that are supposed to be "aged" and old but manage to look better than your usual shit tier modern titles with the exception that they do not require a $500 graphics card to run smoothly.

Hey tile patterns guy, long time no see!

I upgraded my GPU yesterday, fired up Doom 4, and realized textures really haven't advanced since FEAR 1. It's all effects, filters, lights, shadows…

nuDoom has some really awful textures.

okay compared to what

I remember people making a big deal about the textures in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter when it came out, even on Holla Forums

Anything released in the same year as it?
It has really low resolution textures but hides them behind depth of field, chromatic aberration and blur effects.
Its the perfect example of modern visual design retardation.
Fucking look at this close up of an imp.

You said ‘games’, so The Vanishing of Ethan Carter doesn’t count. From the five minutes I played it before reading a plot synopsis and deleting it, it looked extremely good.

When you've got real landscape to scan and take pictures of, you'd better have high-quality textures (video related)

what have you done?

jedi knight jedi academy also has nice ones but not as nice.

This, compare Crysis 1 and 3.
The first game had these really nice textures with individual bush/palmtree leaves occasionally being torn or diseased, some grass being wilted etc. and it looks fucking amazing to this day.
Crysis 3's trees on the other hand look like samefagging Hollywood CG backgound props, with the grass being on the same level as one of those 1999 nvidia benchmarks.

epic meme friend, simply epic. the taste of your meme is exquisite.

no lol, crysis 1 has more copy pasted trees than any game ever made.

In the case of modded Skyrim, it's to hide the ugly LODs and the z-fighting on mountains

That's not really saying much, not to mention that saying "you want good texture-work in a game? Someone's probably done some as a mod" is like responding to OP's post with "you want games with good texture-work? Yeah, those probably exist."

best thread in the catalog tbh

What about games with unimpressive textures?

every valve game since 2005

Interesting effort, but why would a futuristic screen have such low res?

Its lcd, it just sucks.

Generally speaking, I find most texture mods to look worse than the lower res vanilla texture when seen in game.

the environmental tech is gorgeous. the story high school brainlet tier, and the gameplay is non existent. so kotakupapershotgamers loved it.

That post the second image capped is retarded, texture work is miles better now, but most importantly every main character in hl2 uses edited photos for facial textures. The studio that made hza is shit,

Im sure that game uses photogrammetry for its models/textures, not skillful art work.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Nah, recently got back and played warhead. It has definitely aged, graphics wise. The faces of the koreans looked like paper masks.

Just look at this chicken. It lacks detail.

The fact that I cannot think of a single fucking game is sad. Even Ethan Carter has mediocre texture res. Sure they look good from a distance, but once you get close they look extremely pixelated and flat, which is unacceptable considering that the entire thing was simply a picture that did not need to be so severely downgraded. They had legit good textures at their disposal and fucked them up.

We have reached the point where absolute unplayable trash like Battlefield 1 are the best looking vidya. Their game is garbage, but the texturework and assets are to-notch. But once again they even fucked that one up by making a shitty console-tier draw distance that makes every texture and asset look like garbage from 10 meters away.

Pic related what games can look like with god-tier performance, but no studio bothers with visuals or optimization anymore.
It might seem like it, but I'm just using their work as an example. Anyone actually paying them for assets is a brainlet who can't own a budget camera and go make better textures in his backyard.

What is the 4th image?

Just a UE4 scene using megajew assets

The sweet spot for what the OP is looking for is probably in the better PC/Xbox games from 2000-2005, where you had the power for high-res textures but not enough to reliably do a lot of extra texture layering or specular work on the textures too.

Plenty of games in that time frame on systems with enough memory (sorry PS2) had some impressively detailed environmental textures on simple geometry, although the variation could be limited. Even Halo, which was a launch title for Xbox, has an impressive amount of fine detail when you get up close to rocks and such, even if much of it was just “noise” meant to fool you into thinking there was more detail that there actually is, at least it didn’t appear obviously as if the texture was low detail. Mafia and the Max Payne titles stand out in my mind too.

Once hardware was capable of more complex geometry and texture layering, the emphasis shifted there because there is more utility out of having better geometry and layers on textures to make them look more natural from far away than having a ton of textures at high detail when you’re right up against the object. While it would be nice to have more high res textures at more times, other things are more important.

The big leap this generation was the widespread adoption of physically based rendering (which is kind of a texture tech) and photogrammetry to a lesser extent, which does a lot to make textures sit “right” within the world. It’s a big improvement that isn’t discussed a lot.

It’s funny that you say UT2K4 was “only” 5 GB because it was notorious at the time for having a ridicuously enormous file size compared to most other games at the time. Remember that PC games were primarily distributed by CD because DVD still hadn’t been widely adopted and digital distribution was in its infancy. UT2K4 came on like 8 CDs when even 3 or 4 CDs for a game was on the high end.

lemme try

Original Dood.

quads