Thoughts on the PocketSprite? it has unplayable resolution, apparently

Dimensions 55 x 32 x 14 mm
Processor ESP32 dual-core 240 MHz MCU
Storage 128 MBit flash, 520 KB RAM, 448 KB ROM
Enclosure Injection molded ABS with soft-touch finish and screen filter
Buttons Injection molded ABS and tactile click: power, A, B, start, select, game pad
Display OLED screen, 25 x 22 mm, 96 x 64 px, cropped to 5:4 ratio, 60+ FPS
Audio 13 mm mono speaker
Wireless Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Low Energy
Battery Internal Li-ion battery gives hours of gameplay and months of standby
Recharging via Micro USB port, cable included
Packaging Collector’s storage box (95 x 60 x 34 mm) and printed quick-start instructions
Emulators GNUBoy for Game Boy & Game Boy Color, SMS Plus for Sega Master System & Game Gear

i would maybe want one, except for the resolution of the screen. it's one thing to downscale 720p to 360p or some shit. it's another thing entirely to display 160x144 at only 96x64. for an example, i put together these two images. they are all 160x144 PNGs downscaled to 96x64 (with the 'nearest neighbor' setting in photoshop). the larger one was then upscaled for easier viewing (again with the 'nearest neighbor' to prevent it from anti-ailising the crushed, and then upscaled pixels).

and the results, unsurprisingly aren't great. how is anything playable at this resolution?

Other urls found in this thread:

crowdsupply.com/teampocket/pocketsprite
aliexpress.com/item/CUCKMASTER/32608037729.html
aliexpress.com/item/MOCUTE-Gamepad-Android-Joystick-Bluetooth-Controller-Selfie-Remote-Control-Shutter-Gamepad-for-iPhone-Andriod-for-PC/32608037729.html.
walmart.com/ip/Merkury-Innovations-EVO-VR-Pro-Bluetooth-Controller/488566350
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3335257/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What were they thinking?

Gameboy had those magnifying glass screen, it`s needed on this thing

What is the point of this shit if you can't play even a fucking gameboy game on it?

it's not even an issue of it being too small, it's an issue of insufficient pixel density. imagine what it would be like to play Nioh with a ti 83 calculator as your display.

it's probably cheaper to get like some shitty 8 worth of lines dot matrix and display more readable graphics.

Just get a GBA from a thrift store like an adult.

it's actually kind of amazing how every single game boy clone manages to find their own unique way to cock it up
It is a gimmick, a poorly executed one at that.

A magnifying glass makes the pixels larger, but it does not magically add missing pixels.

Yeah, they always get something crucial wrong. I guess they are using off-the-shelf components to keep prices low.

You forgot to mention this thing only has 16 MB to store your roms on. Lots of games were small of course. But as time went on and especially by the late 90s, lots of games were starting to hover around half a MB. And game boy color games only continued to go went up from there. Just how many good games are you even gonna be able to put on this piece of junk? This whole thing reeks of bugman nerd culture crap.

There is absolutely zero point in that thing, no point, utterly worthless.

Soy twats will buy it because OMG, they will never use it because its unusable.

why should I buy this when a tablet with some android controllers are better?

I doubt manlytears alone is enough to fund the production of this.

well it already passed its' funding goal and they're shipping in may

crowdsupply.com/teampocket/pocketsprite

Well I guess I don't blame him, might be the only video games he ever gets to play

So its a soylent gameboy micro

I actually regret not buying a game boy micro when it was out. Every now and then I'm idle at work like in night shifts, and having a portable with little to no comprimise in storage space would be great.

actually it's only $55. but still, considering this is an emulator, and practically everyone in the developed world owns a smartphone which a million times more powerful than this, and already has said smartphone on their person every second of every day, this is just a novelty item with no practical use. it's not even good at what it does because of the form factor, unless you are a prepubescent child with tiny hands. i guess if you have a lot of fuck-you-money and your small child likes old games then you could get it for them.

Get one then! Nothing is stopping you

just get a phone and some android controllers bro.

The cost is probably a factor, you can spend anywhere from 80-200 bucks for one, depending on the faceplate. I'm very satisfied with mine, with the exception of motion sensor games like Warioware Twisted, where the weight of the GBA Micro is off-center compared to the SP and original.

Thats extremely bulky, i have tried bringing one to work, impossible. The only chance is if you hacve a 4" display and use one of those tablet like controllers that extend to the sides, and most of these are so crap they are barely an improvement over touch.

not for the price people are asking on ebay I won't

I have one. The controler is a bit bulky though, usually carry it on my bag. A gbmicro would just go in my pocket

Yea I suppose. I got a brand new warehouse find one about 5 years ago for $70, box was mashed up but other than that perfect.

lmao

just get a psvita and put some emulators there.

or a 3ds and a flashcart, or whatever the fuck the 3ds uses

I had a DS Lite with a $5 flashcart. I could run DS and GBA games, and emulate NES and GB/GBC roms. SNES emulation was slow, but there may have been improvements since then.

psvita is the most powerfull handheld right now unless you wanna buy a switch and root it or buy some high end tier android phone.

all three can emulate a lot more than they keychain.

I remember watching the e3 live stream when that thing was revealed and always kind of wanting one, but never wanting to spend the 99 bucks to get one. They're now almost as expensive used if not even more so then they were even then.

Thing is even now, the SP is just an all around better choice

Almost no one sells for under 100. And those are all used. Brand new ones go for much more. Since nintendo started doing retro consoles I've been rooting for a GBA micro or something similar.

OP you're a faggot, screen size isn't the same as pixel resolution.

your lack of reading comprehension is impressive.

OP, with all due respect, you probably misinterpreted what
actually means and unfairly misrepresent them with your pictures. Since an uncropped screen with 96 x 64 square pixels has a 3:2 ratio, surely what they mean is that the screen area the user will see will have fewer pixels than that: 80 x 64, so exactly half the original resolution horizontally and less than half vertically. This is also said on crowdsupply.com/teampocket/pocketsprite Now, consider that while the Game Gear had the same resolution as the Game Boy, the Master System had 256 x 192 (and could do higher in PAL), so let's imagine what it's like playing at a third of the intended resolution. They also cleverly went with a vertical design so that your thumbs will touch each other all the time. Big fan of that.

They said the switch is more powerful fucktard.

sorry sir you are right. here is pokemon, links awakening, and golden axe displayed at 80x64. i dunno about you guys but i think i might cry a little. i can finally relive my childhood memories, as seen through the eyes of someone with mild cataracts

Learn how to read. By using the word 'unless' they implied the Switch and Android shit aren't handhelds.

whoops sorry, forgot to upscale. and who could forget sonic? looks good to me

Learn to be not such a touchy faggot. The Switch is a hybrid console. Your looking to much into this.

They aren’t. The Switch is an overglorified tablet and androids are mobile.

That thing is too small even for manlets. You would have a hard enough time trying to push the buttons let alone see whatever is happening on the screen.
Now thats a scam for a thing you won't be able to play.

you're a moron. user was saying vita is the most powerful bar switch or high end android. as in it's the third most powerful portable.
vita however already has controllers, and can easily be rooted.

Wrong. I explained what he actually stated. You're inferring something he did not imply. Words have meanings you cannot ignore. Eg:

"You're a retard thus don't understand, unless these are not more pics of handhelds."

it could be money laundering now that i think about it, the kickstarter format is perfect for it.

Finally a console I can slide down my urethra.

Why would (you) even make this post

to let you know he wants to put it in his urethra, of course

stop being a sperg you dumb bitch.

kickstarter shit for faggy nu-male hipsters. you literally have a phone in your pocket that can emulate anything this does, so the only reason you buy it is for "nerd cred XD" and im not even advocating playing shit on your phone either.

Is this your company, faggot?

yes. it is my company please buy 5 of them

It's called a cell phone. That thing's so small it looks like it would cramp more than a cellphone.

Fuck, how did you know my weakness was useless overpriced pieces of trash? You played me like a damn fiddle! I'll take ten!

Holy fuck. This has to be a case of them having a bunch of a particular screen on hand, or it being the absolute cheapest one they could buy in bulk. That squirtle is hilarious.
This has to be just so they can get PR points, since nobody who knows enough for that to be relevant to them is going to care, since there are a million better options that they would already know about. Not even the biggest nostalgiafags would buy this over its competitors, so who's the target audience? Poor children?

This pretty much says it all.

*notices resolution*
:D whats this?

That's retarded. The standard 3DS is already too dainty to be comfortable.

Switch isn't really a handheld. It's more of an official version of something like this.

Shit, no Lynx emulator? I'd love to play pic related on this
I don't know how to hack it down to hipster vision

I have a 5'5 inch phone and I got a controller from China for 10 euros, it's called a Mocute 050. About the same size as my phone, a bit thicker, fits well into a laptop bag. Plug (or rather connect) and play with Retroarch. My only issue with it is that the buttons are pretty bad and loud, but it's 10 bucks.
aliexpress.com/item/CUCKMASTER/32608037729.html

It's a bold move.

a walmart 50 minutes away from me supposedly has this same controller and i'm looking for one (i have to call first to see if they really have it). would you say it's worth the drive to get it? i hate waiting for shit in the mail if i don't have to

That's a funny little thing I learned on /csg/ (chink shit general) on halfchan. With Aliexpress links you can change out the text between /item/ and the numbers with .html with anything you want, what identifies the actual item is those numbers, so the original link was aliexpress.com/item/MOCUTE-Gamepad-Android-Joystick-Bluetooth-Controller-Selfie-Remote-Control-Shutter-Gamepad-for-iPhone-Andriod-for-PC/32608037729.html. I do it for memes and to shorten the link.

Doubt Walmart would sell china shit like that. It might instead be a Moga controller which are far more popular in the west. If you want a controller for emulation with iffy buttons, go right ahead. Probably much cheaper from China though.

walmart.com/ip/Merkury-Innovations-EVO-VR-Pro-Bluetooth-Controller/488566350

it's clearly just the exact same thing rebranded

Yeah seems so. Probably a import. Go right ahead if you want something for emulation, but as I said the buttons aren't that great and are really loud, and the L2/R2 are hard to press unless you have small hands.

also have you ever stepped foot in a walmart before in your life?

No, I am not from America.

oh… well, everything in walmart except for the people is made in china

Don't worry my fellow Aryan white, you aren't a 56% like us glorious Americans.

I meant it a bit differently, since stuff from Aliexpress and other directly from china sites typically stay there and aren't exported.

I'm from /balt/, so I don't know about Aryan.

You fucktard. He didn't say the Vita is the most powerful unless you count the Switch. He said it was the most powerful unless you want to spend the money on the Switch. He was still saying the Switch is a more powerful handheld, just far more expensive.

I don't care about kickstarter scams aimed at dumb hipsters.
But I can't ignore OPs shit job of resizing.
Also they used 2 different numbers for its Features & Specifications Display and the Comparisons Display?

Wait a minute, what would that even be?

That 2nd picture looks a bit dishonest.

Thanks, thought as much
t. PocketSprite dev

Maybe if you have tiny baby hands.

It depends on what scaling method it uses.

I don't think that little thing will have enough processing power to do as bad of a job as OP did.

you do not understand how resolution works, or you are being intentionally dishonest

do not pass GO, do not collect $200

It seems like it would be better if it had games made for it natively rather than downscaling emulated games.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what it's going to look like. Have fun with your little crusade.
Although I'm not sure why you have to lie about this little piece of garbage if it's already shit without you making stuff up.

why are you so defensive? did you back it, and now you're worried you wasted $55? topkek

that's still unplayable, i mean tetris of course would be partially playable considering that basics shapes are easy to recognize, but i doubt most stuff can be played without holding that thing at 30 cm from your face

I don't understand, did people think that they would magically find a way to compress pixels to a lower resolution without loss of information?
Why are people defending this?
I mean, if the screen had more pixel density, this would have been possible since they could've had a bigger display resolution on a smaller screen size, but they didn't do that.

It's absolutely perfect for SJW subhumans. The tiny buttons and postage stamp screen render it absolutely unplayable but SJWs don't play video games anyway. They'll use it as a fashion accessory to signal their "gamer cred".

Judging from the way this looks the resolution isn't too bad it's so small that it looks completely unplayable. The control pad I mean. They shouldn't have copied the Gameboy control scheme exactly. It doesn't scale down in a usable manner unless your customers are inchlings.

It all makes sense now.

I think it was just done for novelty rather than purpose.

The screen itself seems pretty terrible, unless they did something absolutely foolish like give it a CRT filter at that resolution.

small posting thread?

Holy fucking Christ, you were literally just proven wrong in every single way. Stop shilling your OBJECTIVELY USELESS PRODUCT here.

that anyone is defending this is risible
i remember playing NES emulated on a GBA and the scaling there (which only needed to remove about 10% of the vertical pixels) made most sprites unrecognizable. You had to live with just cropping off the score display for games to be playable.

Looks like they did just that in the vid

We Weimar now.

I honestly don't trust the footage to be undoctored but until someone trustworthy gets the device in hand to review it this is the only thing we have to judge from.
You know I thought the same thing. I wouldn't be fucking surprised if they did. It's a fashion accessory after all.

Hence why it's SJW bait. It's an unusable device that serves no purpose but to extract shekels from morons. It's not a gaming device, it's an ornament.

Gotta hand it to them though, they have managed to make old pixel art look as shit as modern pixel art.
Quite an accomplishment, all told.

Lying is not okay, user. Truth will set you free.

Bigposters will be baned on sight

Welcome to economy post-WW2

First picture will always give me a boner. I could never dream getting this game portable.

Are you sure about that?

Spics are cheaper.

they could be spics made in china for all we know.

Even if it looks that fine, it isn't worth the eye straining effort to focus on a screen that small. For eyesight's sake no one should get this.

I remember playing Pokemon Red on a Sansa Clip Plus running Rockbox at school and it was fine to me

I can see a market for this tbh

Yes, they could have put some of the input stuff on the side or maybe the back (e.g. a horizontal layout with dpad on one side, right one face button and one shoulder button, both buttons huge and comfy), and increased the puny screen and made it match the resolution of GB & GG, without increasing even the overall size of the thing. They could have added some zoom functionality. But isn't it great as it is? Can't wait to play Mahjong on that and all those classic games with single-pixel width text.

they have enough enough room to fit in a bigger screen but yet those geniuses thought shrinking the gameboy entirely would be enough.

The 3DS has native DS and GBA retrocompatibility (via flashcart and Virtual Console injection respectively), and also quite good homebrew emulators for NES, SNES, PC-Engine and Genesis. You can get a cheap old model 3DS, or a New3DS model if you want access to some extra games and extra performance on emulators.
The PS Vita is quite good in horsepower for a handheld, has a decent Retroarch port and native PSP and PS1 emulation.
I think both are quite different with distinct catalogues and compliment each other perfectly. In fact, I have both. If you're lacking money, get a cheap old 3DS and hack it.

but could you play doom?

it does

The GBA Micro's lighting is far superior.

Pleb tier tbh

man the sansas were worlds better than any ipod. and cheaper.

A ton of music players were, its just they didn't have the cult following of apple, nor the marketing.

user pls.

Thrift stores are not pawnshops you fucking retard. They don't buy things from people, they accept donations.

I own one. They're quite nice. Haven't played in a while.

Remember asking an employee at wal-mart how many they sold, like a half a year after release, the guy tells me something along the lines of "like, 2, maybe 3 the whole time, oh yeah, nobody wants them.". Not surpised they became a rare collectors piece, and nintendo shooed it away with the SP-101s, since the last thing people wanted was a GBA for manlets,

That's fuckin neato

Never forget.

Small buttons for tiny hands.
Perfect for the soyboy audience.

what the fuck is that

A goblin

frankly he just looks malnourished, it probably has less to do with diet and more to do with amount

Do not insult the noble goblins by comparing them to this genetic dead end.

You would think if he was a big eater of avocados that he would have a little more meat on his bones. They are absolutely packed with calories in the form of oil and nutrients.

Oversized head, long arms, skinny like an anorexic prom date. the only way it could be uglier if it was bow legged and had a tiny distended pot belly

He's got old woman jowls too. The looks like someones grandma became a tranny and got AIDS.

I believed in the soyboy meme but I didn't think it could be this bad

It is, after all, named the pocketsprite.

is that really a numale, soyboy looks like he has a thyroid disorder, had a friend of mine have an issue in college once with his thyroid, he was a football player about 210, dropped to like 130 or 120 in 3 months due to the condition, he looked like that but sick(er)

How's that thing even alive? Did he spend a few years in Best Korea in a diet of one spoonful of cum every other day?

It should be illegal to use commas like you just did.

Huh. The uncanny valley really is more distressing when the subject is moving. Good to know.

I could have gone my entire life without seeing this user.

that is so sad
that is so sad

surviving on nothing but tofu and soymilk

Resolution and size have nothing to do with each other. My phone is a fraction of the size of my 2nd monitor, and yet it has almost double the resolution (phone is 2560x1440 and only 5.5 inches, second monitor is only 1366x768 and 48 inches)

Looks meh

#TheResistance

for what purpose

The Jews did this.

just so you guys know she's actually a "female to male" transsexual
that explains why she's so pathetic looking

Why buy an "emulation device"? You already have a phone, right? Now all you need is a $20 controller.

If you have an iPhone, too bad. Emulators are not allowed in its app store, and jailbreaking gets harder with every new version of the system. Don't be stupid, don't buy Apple.

That's terrible, is that a very old TV or what? My second monitor is a 17" CRT and it goes to 1280x1024.

yes it's pretty old. the only reason i have it is because i put a metal detector on craigslist, and some guys asked if he could trade his old tv for it and i said yes because why not? since 4K tvs have become so cheap, i'm just saving up a few hundred dollars and i'll replace it probably within a month or two, or when i get my tax return, whichever comes first.

Sure looks like shit.
Can you make a demo with it?

is that what happens when you have to much AIDs?

Is this sort of thing worth getting? are old games fun?

What's even the point?

Are you le serious?

How 12-year-old are you? Of course!

the gamecube came out 16 years ago, grandpa

Feels old man. But anyway. Systems like NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, TurboGrafx, whatever… they have tons of very good games, they don't take much space (unlike CD-based ones), and pretty much any cheap smartphone can emulate them well.

on second thought, I really can't think of a situation where I could pull out my phone and play a game where I can't just do the same on my laptop

Man, I missed Nordloef's stuff. He was around in the 8bc days a decade ago and I lost track of him since then.
This makes me want to learn how to code.

The SPs also still had GB/GBC backwards compatibility as well, that the Micro lacked, if memory serves.

Correct.

They also don't have the link cable port, just a charger and a headphone jack, so GBA>GC and multiplayer is fucked.

Do you lug a laptop everywhere?

yes

Yeah, but my Motorola Razr doesn't have many games.

What a coincidence, my first smartphone was a Razr D3. But somehow Motorola managed to break its compatibility with bluetooth input devices.

Christ even Anthony Burch doesn't look like that.

he is a female to male trans

>he

my sides have left orbit

Testing this shit

So is this thing a legit commercialization of the original project (IIRC, the same guy did a similar thing to emulate a Mac 512k - both developed from scratch), or did some chinkniggers rip off his work and sell it in a fancy case?

vid related, can play GTAV about as well as a 360/PS3. It can also run Dolphin and PCSX2 pretty well.

What, never had an avocado smoothie? It's delicious.

Jesus fucking Christ.
I don't know if that would be disgusting or delicious, either way it's probably like 4000 calories.

I found a screenshot of their video with mario brothers. It's a bit hard to see but you should be able to count the pixels and figure out its scaling filter.

It's open source, so let's just look at their goddamn code. They use a port of gnuboy, which is written in C.
uint16_t oledfb[80*64];//Averages four pixels into oneint getAvgPix(uint16_t* bufs, int pitch, int x, int y) { int col; if (x=160) return 0; //16-bit: E79C //15-bit: 739C col=(bufs[x+(y*(pitch>>1))]&0xE79C)>>2; col+=(bufs[(x+1)+(y*(pitch>>1))]&0xE79C)>>2; col+=(bufs[x+((y+1)*(pitch>>1))]&0xE79C)>>2; col+=(bufs[(x+1)+((y+1)*(pitch>>1))]&0xE79C)>>2; return col&0xffff;}

They create a buffer to store ever pixel on the screen. It averages the pixel with its right, upper, and upper-right pixel to get that specific pixel.
Here's the main render loop, where this is actually used.

for (y=0; y8)+((c&0xff)

I'm porting the algorithm to C# (I'm too pajeet for C) and rendering this image.

Who the fuck needs this?

What's wrong with avocados? They're a good snack.

They're just really high in omega 6's, I mean compared to poison like say vegetable oil it's rather healthy.

That's not 80x64.

boi

They must've made this as a joke

At least make it with a Game Boy game you cunt

Get a PSP

load it with CFW and put a GBA emulator on it and some other emulators

Looks even more useless than one of those gameboy micro things.

Why though?
I can play my Pokémans on my god damn mobile phone using an emulator and it'd be a better experience than something *that* small.

As someone who still uses a Clip+ with rockbox (and I have another brand new one ready to go when this one hits the shitter) I can safely tell you folks that although you can run Doom, it is 100% unplayable due to the resolution/color limit.

better != good

This is basically an expensive, battery powered keychain for hipsters.

and yes it's very caloric

pleb

true, but gameboy games are fairly playable

Except he wasn't, faggot.

Omega 6 isn't bad, you just need to balance it with omega 3 from what little reading I did.

Some articles say it's bad and avoid it, some articles say it's good. I don't know what to trust.

I'd say the fuck away from concentrated amounts of it, there's a reason why people who eat fast food nowadays get heart disease and become fat fucks, it's because vegetable oil is made out of grains high as fuck in it.

I don't eat fast food or use vegetable oil, I'm talking about healthy foods like avacados and others that are high in omega 6. I'm sure fast food contain trans fat which is killer. Healthy fats like olive oil, and grass fed butter are good for you.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3335257/

Alright, so stay the fuck away from avacados or anything omega 6, thanks.

Get on my level onii-fam.

Everything has omega 6 fats in it, I would just limit. Vegetable oil has 5-10 times more omegas than avocados.

For 1 fucking tablespoon.

Pictured, first generation human being, born and raised in early moon colony visits supermarket on hisits tour of Earth. The "lunar-tic" was quoted in a creakly voiced saying oh the avo's here are so small and firm compared to the ones back home!

it has a bias towards the x axis, so here's how the squirlte would actually look without and then with their subpixel rendering algorithm. As you can see, the text is clearly readable despite being at a lower resolution.

I should also note that even though the screen resolution is 96x64, being cropped to 5:4 means that it has an 80x64 actual resolution.

LOOKIN GOOD

Would eating it 1-2 a week be good? I'm on ketosis, so I don't know if it damages me or it's beneficial, all I know is that it makes me insanely horny.

Estrogen makes you insanely horny, believe it or not. From experience.

fuck off tranny

Men have estrogen you fucking moron, it's called the fat in your goddamn belly. Why the fuck do you think beer bellies are a thing?

Honestly I have yet to find an electronic with a screen that I can't force to play doom in some way

it's shit, like whatever else that's not a PC

Holy shit, their form is fucking abysmal. Their center of balance is so off they almost get blown over by the fucking seabreeze, and they can't even do their warmups. I'm surprised they haven't died already.

At last there's some proper context to post this.
No webm because I can't be arsed to do it, but it's the same shit as this, only for a pokemon mini.

If that tiny itty bitty display was an OLED panel with 2 million pixels packed into that 4 square cm area, it could actually look pretty good.

Holy shit. That is seriously impressive.