Strange Journey Redux

I heard this thing released in Japan back in October. How was it? Any good changes to offset the inevitable bad ones? Was headphone girl as bad a Mary Sue as I thought she was gonna be? Please tell me they didn't go full FRIENDSHIP XDDD ending like Apocalypse.

yeah
Also the "new" art is fucking awful. They somehow managed to make it less detailed despite being at a higher resolution.

It's a shame. They did a remake of Persona 2 and the art wasn't that bad then, but this comes out and it's clearly a step down from the original. But I guess they got lesser artists to do this game because, as usual, SMT is the redheaded child compared to Persona.

Also, don't just "yeah" me, give me all the crappy details on new girl. Lemme guess, she's a half-demon.

she is your daughter from the future come to kill you

I didn't get the purpose of this remake; they had a release on their last handheld of the game already. Did they even do anything differently that's meaningful?

You can pirate it without a flash cart

Shove a Mary Sue with paid DLC.

They butchered the art, added cheats that cost money and added a mary sue that sticks out like a sore thumb.

I knew nothing good would come from them crossing over with nuFE, it's starting to rub off on ATLUS.

all their uniqueness and charm is gone. Look at the art of the Radiant Historia remake, its looks fucking awful. They have the gall to chop up and sell the better art separately.

You mean Deep? Been waiting for someone to put it up on FreeShop, but I've heard mostly negative things about the added shit.

Oh, they changed the name? Thanks for the heads-up, Satan.

Didn't they learn not to do this shit from Etrian Odyssey Untold?

Only the EO team got the memo.

I'm still pissed that Sekaiju no Meikyu 5 had the real music cut out and sold as separate DLC.

Guess so, never keep up with foreignizations of games anymore, since they're all irrevocably shit. The correct title to look for when it inevitably hits FreeShop is Deep Strange Journey.

I think the idea is along the lines of "if it doesn't work with one franchise, keep trying with others until less people care and it becomes normalized". Personally I don't get why either Strange Journey or Radiant Historia got picked for remakes, especially when DS games can still be played on the 3DS, nor why the obligatory character redesigns, aside from just wanting to make more money off each (including selling you back the original assets).

Apocalypse is easily not an "SMT story" by any means. In a typical SMT story, you and your allies are eventually driven apart by your irreconcilable differences and philosophies. Apocalypse was the opposite of that. Your allies start off radically different, but eventually overcome their differences with "le power of fwendship".

And yet, it's still my second favourite mainline SMT game. First being Nocturne, third being SMT4, and the rest being trash.

You should probably kill yourself. I love Press Turn as much as the next guy, but it's far from the end-all be-all or defining trait of the series.

The only correct route to take in Apocalypse is siding with Dagda.

The idea behind Apocalypse is to capitalize on the specialty of nuAtlus (writing dialogue with anime friends) and make an entire SMT game about the neutral route. I understand other fans would not like it, but I personally think it worked. Correcting the gameplay problems of IV and writing a kickass Irish antihero helped.

No.

The original Strange Journey more or less already has a cheat system, what's different about the new one besides Atlus trying to nickel and dime its customers?

The last three Persona games had Soejima as the character designer anyway, I'd prefer they switch back to Kaneko.

This

No to what? You don't get headpats for being a badass with correct opinions when you can't even formulate them.

Remake Persona 2 without the random encounters

Why didn't Apocalypse have a Divine Powers route anyway?

Because if you try to join them Dagda just kills you.

in what way? He was just shitting on yours which is perfectly legitimate.
Everything you stated in your post is cancer and anathema to SMT as a franchise, its not fucking Persona.
nerfing smirk doesn't mean the gameplay is "corrected". Improved, but not corrected.
this sounds like the opposite of helping in every context
Retarded
And it never fixed the horrible DLC situation that was in IV as well

I hope SMT V will be good, so far the trailers look promising as long as the gameplay remains the same or more like nocturne thatd be cool.

Any side-by-sides of the changes?

Was giving Jimenez the Dreamworks face really necessary?

Might as well say whether this remake is necessary, especially since Atlus can't into remakes.

Has Atlus done a single remake since Cozy left?

I'm surprised so many people get upset at the revised portraits but barely mention that they rearranged the soundtrack as well.

Isn't this track just a part of the Anniversary Memorial album, though? I haven't heard anything about DSJ using those tracks, unless someone's willing to provide proof from the nip version.
If it did use those tracks, the downgrade from Fear of God alone would be massive as fuck.

kill yourself

Are you fucking illiterate? I wasn't speaking rhetorically, I was asking what's different about the new cheat system compared to the old one.

why are you still alive?

Did you even understand my last post? There is no "damage control" because the only issue in the first place was your own moronic misinterpretation of what I said. This thread is going to get derailed if I get sucked into your whirlpool of retardation and keep arguing this point.

If you don't see a problem with paying for cheats then you don't belong here. It doesn't matter how many verbose posts with no substance you make.

I understand you think that's what I said, but it's only because you're an idiot, not because I ever said that.

The last post was three brief sentences, I understand how that might be a little too much for you to handle.

QUICK what should I do for Strange Journey, what route?

Neutral

Really? Why's that?

I believe neutral is the hardest path.

All as meaningless as others

Neutral is true ending, most bosses, hardest path

Well, you have to fight two sub-bosses at a certain point when you'd only fight one otherwise, similar to something that happens in SMT1. I don't know about it necessarily being the hardest route, I think being in the middle gives you an advantage when negotiating with Law- and Chaos-aligned demons. If I remember correctly there are a few parts of the game where it's really hard to find a good Neutrally-aligned healer, and your alignment is a big deal in SJ.

Kind of off topic, but what was the SMT metroidvania(that looks a lot like the Konosuba game as well as Pharaoh Rebirth+) called?

Synchronicity?

That's the one, thanks user.

I will spell this out for you as plainly as I can, one time. I was not defending paid cheats. I was not saying "what's different about the new one besides Atlus trying to nickel and dime its customers?" to appeal to anyone who was already okay with the way the current cheat system works. I was literally asking about the difference between the new system and the old system. The old system allowed you to enter codes to summon customized demons for the same macca penalty as summoning a demon from the compendium, and a few special demons which were only unlockable through passwords. I was asking if the new system was identical to the old system, but with micropayments, or if it was maybe some kind of SMTIV-style DLC. I was not asking this because I needed to budget a few dollars for these demons, it was purely out of curiosity. It didn't take me long to realize that it would have been easier to just look this up instead of asking in a thread. Even then I had no idea any frothing-at-the-mouth retard would take this much of an issue with a completely benign sentence, and I'm still amazed you were able to miss the point this fucking hard, even after I clarified myself twice.

is there smirking in Redux? is it like 4/apocalypse or did they respect demon co-op

Just look up trailers and shit; it's blatantly using the demon co-op system. It seems like it's going to feel just about the same as before, just with nicer graphics and a little more content and shit.

Not quite. When you become lawful or chaotic, demons of your alignment are easier to talk to and negotiate with, and opposing alignments ramp up their costs. All being neutral does is eliminate the positive and negative effects of having a far ended alignment. Demons that are already neutral won't care and won't change their negotiation strategies, regardless of your alignment.
There's a fuckton of really good neutral demons, though, and all the fiends are neutral. In the last rendition, however, the very strongest demon, demiurge, was lawful.

same dev

I haven't even played the original SJ yet. I finished KMT, SMT1, and SMT2 a while back and moved onto TDE Nocturne Hard Mode but my emulator runs at like 20-40 frames which is playable although annoying to work with. Trying to go through the series chronologically here so I'll probably go back to finish Nocturne and base Strange Journey here sometime before the release of DSJ. Unfortunately the faggot translating If… (the game that comes in-between SMT2 and Nocturne) basically won't ever release it because he's a dick.

Oh damn, I might check these out then, even though I'm not into Megaten and Konosuba.

Pharaoh Rebirth was pretty cool.

Interesting, I just assumed Neutral negotiation had the same benefits when you're in the same alignment. It should have been obvious when the game said "It doesn't seem to care about your respective alignments".

Talking about the soundtrack, will they fix the boss theme having 5 seconds of silence making the looping feel worse than it should?

What's your favorite kaneko design, nu-Holla Forums?

Fitting, in a way.

Seems like it's fixed, check around the 14:00-14:15 mark. I don't really mind the changes to the UI either

Moirae sisters

Go back