Pyramid of Power edition

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Links
>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/
>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR MAY 5TH
Polite reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can (even if it's just your game page)

Other urls found in this thread:

itch.io/jam/love2d-jam-2018
youtu.be/4flbxXF9AAA?t=22m38s
ejew.in/games/oligocene-snapshot/
ebalstudios.com/blog/polygon-modeling-basics
gitgud.io/Taywee/pong
stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/
sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Collider.OnTriggerEnter.html
fablesoflaetus.com/report37/
github.com/khairul169/cubiventure
play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen7ou-701994783
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I fucked it up, previous thread is here

See, this is why I don't make the threads.
I don't wanna be bullied.

it turns out doing transformation and rotation is faster on the cpu and i lost 30+ frames
fuck

There's always next thread at least

You just have to not mess up horribly like I have been lately. I mean do you think you could make a worse thread than that one that I got a 2 hour ban over?

i'm probably going to restructure the renderer to call back to whatever so it can run its stuff, then a call to TransformAndRotate or something to do all that work, then a reupload of all the geometry to the gpu, then a requeueing of raytracer program, rinse and repeat

In that case I'll wait a bit longer before making a thread.

Pants 80% done

I'm not worried about the bullying my fuckup will cause so much as I am worried that the thread will go off topic.

nah, no one really cares i was just kidding

clamp the sprite's draw position to integers and store your character's position as floats

This worked. Thanks a lot, m80.

Three more to go, glad that I already have every arm, leg, torso, and head that I will need. Did this animation group in like 2 hours and it is way less difficult. Still kinda looks like shit but it'll work. I still have to do forward, backward, and backward left but after that I can dump all of my animations into Unreal. After that, I think I'm gonna see if I can make a global item use animation, non-rotoscoped. More tomorrow, I gotta go to work in like 20 minutes.

I have my inspiration back, I just had to play Xenogears and Solatorobo and realize why I started this project in the first place.

There'll probably be some folks making fun of you, but that's really about it.

Started playin around with OpenGL usin GLFW n GLEW.

It took me like an hour to figure out how draw a single triangle to a screen.

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out why this solution works and I'm failing.

Throw me a bone, would you?

Because it's trying to draw a character in between pixels and it doesn't know what to bloody do with that. Depending on your interpolation mode, it'll either be blurry like that or clip into itself strangely.
You gotta remember that on a screen, there's no such thing as half a pixel. In math it's fine, since it's just a number, but it doesn't exist when rendering to the screen.

Am I a brainlet for using Godot? Should I mod a better engine like Cube 2/Tesseract or make my own engine? I feel like I'm stupid.

Take it from me man,

If you want to actually make a game use an already existing engine. Otherwise you'll be a year in and worry about random performance drops on dev graphic character collisions.

Engine dev, not even once.

It'd be dumber to try and develop outside your skill set. Programming a game engine yourself is a heap of work that requires a significant amount of prior knowledge.

localization.png

Is the game secondary to the engine? If that's true then make your own engine or heavily modify one of the engines you like.

That's an excellent example of good localization though. Or was that the point?

The only thing that will fix this is if you prove to yourself that you aren't an idiot. People can talk all they want about how it doesn't matter and it's a waste of time, that you should just use an engine, but that's not gonna get rid of the feeling of not really understanding how things work.
Plus, depending on the type of game, any kind of "engine" (including your own) might be just stupid. Not everything needs an all encompassing, fully featured engine. Don't be so quick to automatically conflate programming from scratch with enginedevving.

it's certainly not pickles.

Riddle me this, why is modern opengl such a pile of shit? Should I use GLEW or SDL?

What would you want the joke to be translated as then?

SDL looks better.

The same reason the Windows API is shit: it's been developed for decades, so it's held back by bad decisions made a long time ago.
GLEW is OpenGL. It's how you get the addresses of all the OpenGL functions supported by the graphics driver. As for SDL, it's great for the purposes of windowing and input. It might bother you to not understand how to handle those things with the system specific API (Windows API, or whatever the fuck they have on Linux), but you can learn how those work just by reading documentation if you want, and SDL is just so damn convenient. As for SDL's own renderer, it's alright for fast prototyping in 2D, but I'm not a huge fan.

holy jesus fucking christ it's been 2+ weeks of me taking a break from gamedev due to a particularly bad episode of depression and it's not getting better, at all. If anything, it's getting worse. Holy shit anons fucking hold me this might be the worst one yet

what dev are you?

I don't think anons have christened me with a name yet, but I'm working on an autistic voxely game

I have become a lot more forgiving of the windows API since I learned a little bit of Xlib and other Linux programming. You can really tell that Microsoft made a far superior API compared to what existed at the time. Also windows API doesn't change after it's released, the only difference is that new things are added and existing things can never be removed. So if I want to open a window I am using the same API that people were using in 1995.

Being better than Xlib isn't much of an achievement, given how X11 is a complete dumpster fire the unix community is desperately trying to get rid of.

Push yourself to do some stuff.
It'll keep your mind off the bad stuff, and while you won't be working at 100%, you can always come back and polish/fix/rehaul stuff later on.

I ve been following your gun models, well if that is you, but i assumme its you, these gun models are the ones i use to practice 3D, i think you do nice stuff and should keep the good job.

Also go play a dating sim.

Here we go, the first of the puzzles is done. It's gonna be a pain in the ass coding/implementing 30+ different puzzles, bloody hell.

I wonder if 30 is enough for a puzzle game or if people are going to be wanting more.

Yeah I tried that. It's not that I focus on the bad shit, it's more the general state that I am in that bothers me. In my case depression works more as a general coloring over everything. I don't enjoy anything, I get constant, body-wide aches and splitting headaches - life just feels like eating a bland, rancid cracker with no water to wash it down. It gets very close to feeling like physical illness, honestly.

spoilered for blogpost

Nah, user - the model in the animation is something my friend cobbled together as a placeholder for the game I'm working on. I think I know what guy you're talking about though - I think he's given me a bolt-action rifle to animate for practice in the past.

Not too much today. Just implemented a BS'd load screen and such that'll probably cover for death and respawn. Haven't figured all on how this stuff will work in design yet, so I'll probably fiddle around over time.

I had your issue. Sometimes you have to just say fuck the world and blast Slayer. Recently I've been feeling like shit because I am surrounded by too-normal-for-reddit normalfags, but after listening to shit I haven't touched since highschool I'm back in action.

Woops. Didn't mean to reply.

How about as many good puzzles as you can, maybe 25% filler puzzles at most.

I understand, it would be interesting to see a window manager with a better API. Maybe Plan 9 or Haiku have nicer systems, whenever I look at my unix-specific code it just seems a lot poorer looking than my win32 code.

I've not tried really hard music yet, maybe it'll help

The thing about it is you kind of have to get latched onto the momentum the song has (having decent speakers helps). Especially if it's a really long one that goes through all sorts of twists and bends. Vid related. It starts out absolutely fucking dismal and just builds up until it's absolutely flying at the end.

Armor update. Got leg armor and wing armor then I can start to render everything before starting topologize things.

Hopefully all of them would be good, but I'll admit I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of anything interesting past 23.
I could just go with the old survival horror standby of collect-and-use-X-on-Y quests.

Playing around with some ghosting effects. I need to get a cool shader going and maybe have the "ghosts" decrement their alpha over lifetime, but I like the way its functioning right now at least.

It looks good right now but you're right in that they need to fade away and a little faster at that.

well i've got appropriate animations depending on what you have equipped, although i wish they weren't going forward so much
still need to make more weapon types to handle two handed animations though

If you structure it a certain way, you can get way more than 30.

For example:
This way you can build on top of what you already know, all while keeping the progression smooth and the quality of puzzles consistently high.

Are you making a 40k game or is it just a coincidence.
don't let gw find out

I really like that. That sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea, thank you.
Maybe in different sections the puzzles are themed after a certain core mechanic that keeps popping up, with a couple breaks for different mechanics to spice things up a bit.
Plus, dev-wise, it makes things easier for me since I can pretty much repeat certain puzzles multiple times, just doing more with it.

pure coincidence

I'm making this model for the 40k scene in Table Top Simulator. The only models available are those that can be ripped from the games which are pretty bad ones that can be 3D scanned which also end up poorly and ones that people hand make with 3D programs.

very nice, now implement confused turtle

wut

oh, that already works
i just don't have any attacks for the shields and i'm not sure if i want any

You're making a terrible mistake.

It's just bashes and hugs, you exist to push things off of high places

in any case i don't have a shield bash animation at the moment, so i can't really do much

You can make a shield bash animation.

have you seen the ones i've made so far?

that's bs tbh

If you can one-hand a two-hand weapon, you should instead two-hand a four-hand weapon

So? Study slow-motion videos of movement that you need, and learn what makes it what it is. In about a year of doing that, I can pretty confidently say I can animate pretty much anything to a satisfying level of quality.

You don't progress by avoiding things outside your comfort zone.

the only reason to do the knife/spear combo is to knife people very up close, which you kind of fucked up if they managed to dance around your spear.

You mean to say that having a backup plan is not a good idea? You know versatility and flexibility is like the name of the game in a fight, right?

make my game then

explain

is this literally the europe migrant sim where you rape your way across europe as a poor dindu fugee?

I'm kidding

Sure you can do it freely as long you have beaten the local migrant hunter :^)

but what is the joke

You should look into Root Animation if you want to go for realism, that sidestep is really weird

me

how do I into matrix operations?
I know I studied all of that shit in the past, but now its all moonrunes to me

yea, see, i don't really want to spend a year working on animations just so i can do a half-decent shield bash
you could spend a decade reworking code too, doesn't mean you're ever gonna finish it and be happy with it
illegal elbow punch is the closest we're gonna get for now

root motion is generally unreliable when i want to be able to control how the movement works
the character should always move independant of the animation

user, my advice to you: depression is a biological issue more than a psychological one
fuck pills, stay away from that shit, depression drugs only aggravate the issue
shake your self off, force yourself to do some activity,

See tutorial

why do you do something that's easy and takes ten minutes, when you could spend a few years learning how to do it my way?

As you've pointed out you have signs of depression.
Doing something like "getting in the flow" of music isn't confronting the issues you're having, but it may help you to stop overthinking; as overthinking is stress, and to continue that cycle is an infinite loop of depression (archetypal hell).
One skill everyone has to learn, as to survive in the modern world (I.e. a world where technology, and complexity of life; has advanced far quicker than our wisdom, and ability to handle the complexity); is to refine the "mode of being", that has the goal of not overthinking (getting in the "flow" of something, is a guide to how to2 do this). As there's a time and place for everything.
For example, I used meditation to learn how to "get in the flow" in daily life, and to just be the experience; instead of some experiencer who overthinks everything.
There could also be other issues in your life you're not noticing, due to being too "involved" in your conscious awareness (the "point of attention" which most people define themselves by, I.e. Conscious awareness feedback loop of internal to external world, which is only a tiny facet of your being); so you end up missing what is unbalancing your internal being.
Again, "getting in the flow", and learning to observe the experiencer can help a lot here; as to determine what is unknown to the conscious attention, but known (and surfacing as depression) via the subconscious.

I disagree, having an animation based movement can make movement and positioning much more important during a fight

Matrices seem complex because it's a lot of fucking operations, but it can be rewritten into a few loops instead.

Basically, the whole deal with matrices in gamedev is that you want to throw a N-dimensional vector against a M-by-N matrix which then produces a new M-dimensional vector. In graphics, this often means throwing a vertex position (x,y,z,1) into a matrix, producing the appropriate position on the screen.
The matrix multiplied with in graphics is just several matrices multiplied with each other, each performing a different operation.

In practice, a matrix is just all the factors you have to multiply your vector with and then add up. For example, if you have a 2D vector and have a 3-by-2 matrix that thus produces a 3D vector, then the 6 values that the matrix consists of are basically just:
Which can be written as a simple loop:
float in[2] = {your 2d input vector};float out[3] = {0};float m[3][2] = {your 3-by-2 matrix transform};for(int i = 0; i

and unresponsive

Not if you do it well. Look at Chivalry, it feels great to play.
Without it you just get a clunky and weird combat system

that's the name,
the thing is I knew how to do these operations(matrix adding product and etc like you've said), but I don't remember shit
so I wouldn't even know where to apply them in gamedev, but I've guess is more useful for 3d stuff
but thanks, I'll read into those links with more depth later

Great argument, real quality discussion

only thing i can think of is getting a direction from another transform's point of view
other than that, pretty much everything is just dot/vector products

It's actually pretty useful too in 2D gamedev. It's just that if you don't grasp the subject, doing a project without it entirely takes just as much extra effort as understanding it does, so you can get away with it just fine.

What are you trying to say here?
My point still stands, Oblivion does the same thing and it works

There's no game that doesn't do sword combat combat based on animations that doesn't absolutely feel like shit

oblivion does not have your movement tied to animations, it's the animations that sync with the movement instead.
You can go from fullspeed moving left to fullspeed moving right instantly, independent on where you are on the walk animation. Which is why the movement is nice and responsive

yes, they are?
the animation bugs are a result of the system not being thought through completely

You can't actually believe that cherrypicking a bug with no reference as to how often it happens and just use that as proof that the system doesn't work.
I've played 50 hours of chivalry back in the day and I've never encountered this once.

Are you sure?
Nevermind about that I guess

it's literally why most people quit the game
all the high ranking duel servers do this
all of them
100%
go in the game right now, join a high ranking duel server, and everyone there will be doing this
why? because they can
the combat system was not designed to be used like this, and they did nothing to fix it

Wait so this is an exploit used for duels?
Well then no fucking shit it looks bad, it's still not how most of the combat works

Not to mention the system still works great in the vast majority of cases

Depression is a biological issue, that's exactly why pills that help produce satisfaction/enjoyment chemicals in your brain is the right answer, or at least a good one.

I'm not a vegetable, I do a lot of self-care shit - I take walks, I eat healthy - plenty of animal fats and protein, vegetables and fruit, I only drink water, and I sleep 7-8 hours a day (sometimes I can't sleep or I get sleepy too early, however - which is expected when suffering from depression). I take scalding hot baths to relax my muscles, I do calisthenics, stretches pretty regularly and I even have a pretty great, non-normie girlfriend

The thing is, when I do this much healthy shit that everyone seems to be convinced is the right answer to depression and I still want to empty my wrists, don't enjoy something I know is easily my life's greatest passion and I can't even have fun playing my favorite vidya, I can be pretty sure that my brain's circuitry is fucked.

I do have anxiety issues, so you've got me there. I might try either meditation or regular power naps.

Work is sacrifice of the present for the sake of the future. You won't get good unless you practice. This applies to absolutely everything. Vidrelated - animation from a year ago when I first started, then animation from 6+ months ago, and then an animation from a little over a month ago. The last one, with the punch, is the most recent. I still have plenty of room to get better, but a year is not all that long.

well technically it is, you could pretty much kill someone behind you by accidentally doing an overhead swing
besides, it still has issues
example being the vanguard charge - pretty much teleports you and misses half the time, unless you're using a spear
the game is pretty much riddled with oversights

you really want me to spend a year working on animations when the game doesn't even have close to all the ideal features ready?

I fucked the order up a little - here it is labeled

You don't have to work a year on ONLY animations, mr autismo - you can simply make them when you need to and get better that way

but i don't need them right now

Well you clearly need a shield bash

yea, but i don't need a professional AAA tier shield bash

Sounds like you're looking for excuses, user. Just animate a shield bash and take some time to do it right. You'll benefit from the experience.

but the current one works

New renderer layout:
Two callbacks
- ReadyForFrame
- DrawFrame
Ready will be the engine loop, in which objects are prepared, Draw will, well, draw things.
TranslateAndRotate will process geometry, and then run GPUUploadGeometry for the next frame after ReadyForFrame, and before the next frame is drawn.
At 120fps, this gives us around 8ms to prepare for each frame, at 240fps 4ms, and so on.
This is doable.
CPU Power!
I don't know why I'm using like proper capitalization, I never use it.

shit reload animations

I'm manic-depressive (bipolar) so I understand the biological standpoint, and agree it can predicate someone to this mode of "internal workings" for the mind (being more succeptable to depression, anxiety, etc).
However, Ive experienced that medication is a crutch, and does not solve the real issues; it only serves to mask the symptoms until your next dose (the root cause of the issues are never solved).
Again though there's another however, sometimes one needs "grounding"; be it reprieve from the constant darkness of depression, or the thrills of mania; then medication is being used in a responsible manner. So meds can defintely be useful there, but only as a temporary grounder, if things get to the point of a possible implosion/breaking point.
Even just "having them around" as a possible last resort, for your internal mind state, it can give you the preconception that if it gets too much you have help; you don't even have to take them to get that placebo of knowing it's easily available.

Good, I'm glad you're thinking about trying meditation.
Id reccomend to look at Alan watts, and his talk on meditation; I think it's called "Alan Watts - How to get out of your mind" on YT.
Though there's different approaches for each person, and you'll just "know" when you've found it.
Learning about the mind, and your "enemy" (your mind hosts your depression, depression is your enemy, thus by extension your mind is your enemy); will give you much needed knowledge to handle these types of issues.
I find Carl Jung, Nietzche, and Freud to have insights that I myself have dawned upon; that I found to be true through experience.
Jordan Peterson is also a great introduced on this topic (look at his lectures).
After all that stuff is settled, get back to making vidya, and you'll again be able to enjoy it; for what it is.

Random user checking in just to say that good job to all of you and good luck with the projects.

If some user is having thoughts about starting to learn this, my advice is:
Start with the basics.

Go through all the evolution of games, don't rush or you will burn yourself.
I started to follow an isometric rpg tutorial, but it can get really complicated (for someone who hasn't programmed ever)
So I stepped back and saw this as another discipline, like drawing, where you have to start with the basics figures before you can progress to advanced things.

So I started with pong, tinkered a bit with the code for fun, later arkanoid, tinkered with it too, and lastly asteroids.
It's easy, it's fun , it's practice, and you can make one each day.

Practice makes perfection, so keep working.

Now i'm going to try doing pacman, so i can understand how the pathfinding works.

Godspeed fags.
sage for blogposting

alright, we now have animations for both one handed and two handed weapons
two handed weapons can still be used with a shield/dual wield, they'll just do 1h animations
and the benefit of dual wielding is that you can chain the attacks, while otherwise you have to go back to idle and attack again

nice job and nice advice
people tend to forget how bad they were, how incapable they were or how dumb they were after 9 years of coding experience. Making simple stuff is pretty hard for beginners, and making hard stuff completely impossible

Anyone got any tips, good references or tutorials for making lowpoly models with lowres textures? I know Speebotdev took up making those, recently. Shit is unexpectedly hard, especially when it comes to setting up UV maps so it looks like a proper 3d pixelart instead of mismatched pile of garbage.

You work fast, keep it up

u rust dev?

That's right, but I dropped my Rust mod a while ago so that's that.

Boots!
Still adding more detail to it

It doesn't help that you're also a redditor and satan himself.

What dev are you?

BULLY THE OUTLANDER

I've been posting on 8ch ever since the GG exodus happened, mister. That's like, 4 years

All this time and you still can't stop acting like a cancerous faggot.

quints

fuck

The sad part is that I could have claimed those quints myself if I hadn't reloaded the front page a couple times to see who would claim them.

i literally started the original agdg threads, you don't see me waving my dick about

waving my dick about and saying that I've been here for 4 years to someone that calls me an outsider are two different things

stop being dildos and post some progress

This is obligatory to post if you want to see how this guy has acted around here in the past. Now I know that I saved the other screencapped thread where he goes on about overwatch and reveals his reddit account but I cant find it on my computer. Anyway if I can find it I will post it too, I know at least one other user has it.

You have severe, aggressive autism and you should donate your brain to science.

nice

someone make a Tiberain sun fan game

At least I don't dedicate my life to tracking down someone I dislike and then derail generally chill threads once I find them.

Post progress or fuck off you obnoxious cunt.

I really really like these trips.

but you're ruining one right now

More boot detail

don't you know? if you're the focus then obviously it's your fault and not the people you're just responding to

On the 3rd webm, the one with the punch, how did you do that elbow wobble despite fist staying in place once it reaches it's hit position? Looks pretty good, like the softer meat and fat is catching up with the hard punch.

I'm moving the IK target back and forth slightly, and the IK pole up and down. I'm also probably staggering the shoulder bone, so it catches up with the fist after the punch. This altogether makes it seem like there's a backlash going up the arm.

It's been literally a year since we first saw him, and he's still at the phase where he is posting screens of his blender. And it's not like he's actually making progress, he's just posting the same character models and same weapon models without any actual game to show for it. I've still yet to see a single screenshot of him with an actual game or his shit in an actual game engine.

There was a large chunk of time where I was working on a mod for Rust, though. Inbetween that, I was also finishing school, and dealing with mental illness so I have plenty of excuses for being an unproductive cunt.

the site is so small that autists are running into the same autists, my guess is when will you learn. after everyone has left?

it's comfy, user. At least it feels like an actual community.

hasn't been comfy in such a long time tbh

Is there any evidence you're mentally ill and not just a regular idiot?

got a shitty withdraw/deposit button/slider for the coins
i was just gonna treat the coins as an item like in skyrim, but it didn't seem ideal since i made it with a limited number of slots
also block animations if you're only using 1 of the 2 weapon slots

I've definitely got depression and what seems to be generalized anxiety. I mean, these two things are self-evident. I could have a variety of other things but I can't afford a therapist so for now this is about as specific as it's gonna get.

I don't know, man. I've had several spergouts on here and the community is tight enough that they were documented and linked together, promptly. I thought 8ch was starting to bloat with newcomers but it seems to still have plenty of steam.

Since shilling on Reddit didn't work for Speebotdev, I'd recommend trying a Switch port. The platform natively supports OpenGL ES 3 (which is based off OpenGL 3.3), devkits are reasonably cheap, and it looks like the sort of thing switchfags would eat up.

It has been about 3.5 years.
Damn.

Ok finished, much better than the old version

lol no, once one autist has something over you you're not hearing the end of it

making speebot into a good game would be the first thing rather then port it to switch

Time flies - the fucking Avengers movie came out 6 years ago, and the first Iron Man roughly 10. Oblivion came out 12 years ago, Skyrim came out 7 years ago. Boston bombing happened 5 years ago, and so on. We're also about 1/10th into 2018 already.

Yeah, but everyone is bonding over it, though.

no they're just autistically screeching at you

How difficult would it be to make a Love2D port to it, I wonder? It doesn't have native support for it.

Well if there was one place where it was acceptable to autistically screech at people, it'd be an imageboard.

Not only are all of your posts either shitposts, useless advice, or sucking up to Rustfag, but now you even go and insult Keyreal and call Speebot shit? How about you get the fuck out of here along with Rustfag?

it's shit because it's literal flash game tier

user, if you hate everyone on here this much you might want to consider leaving yourself

leave

*teleports infront of (you)* no…… u……..

i refuse

I hate just about no one here except you two, considering I know who one of you is and I'm pretty sure I recognize the posting habits of the other, and he's done nothing but shitpost with lego chainsaws and shitty "someone should make X" posts.

what's wrong with lego chainsaws?

The issue is that Love2D has several GPL and LGPL dependencies, and since several of those (mostly OpenAL but possibly others) would need some modification to run on the Switch, you would have to release the source code of your modifications and Nintendo won't take too kindly to that.

you should make your self a time out mister

The other one is wolfspider and has unfortunately latched on to these threads like you've already noticed.

Apparently Pocket Rumble was made with Love2d, and has a Switch port. Wonder how that guy worked it out.

Why is it that game dev always attracts the most mentally ill people? It's fucking infuriating.
I don't want this place to become cuckchan /agdg/. I have nowhere else to go.

Because you need to have a certain amount of autism to be a One Man Devteam. It's just that some handle that autism better than others. I like to think that I do better nowadays than I used to in the past. People really are a bad influence.

Because it's like three degrees of autism laid overtop one another. You have to be a nerdy cunt at least to some degree to like videogames, then you have to be slightly autistic to like them enough to want to make them, and then you have to be enough of an autist to post on here. If you're this much of an outlier, chances are fairly high you're a weirdo.

The ones that are hopelessly fucked in the head never finish anything though. You need a certain level of routine and restraint to get somewhere, autism or no. Rustcuck has been around these threads for ages, yet has nothing to show for it and still acts like a person of authority. I see it time and time again and it pisses me off.

Not even gonna bother formulating a proper post. Spend less time posting here about your feels and go exercise or something. You're getting nowhere in life and are an energy siphon on the people around you.

It's communities in general, we tend to drive away those attention seekers by being pseudo-anonymous and bullying them for whining/namefagging/degeneracy. It always works. I've never ran into someone too autistic to be bullied into submission.

We had people defending a newfag signing his post with "Fred" while wishing someone a happy birthday, the other day, we're already somewhat infected.

it's like you say words and you don't even hear your self or connect your actions

I miss when "lurk more" was still a thing people said. Then again, I don't know if you can educate everyone.
That goes for the site as a whole. These threads have been mostly fine for a while, at least. I've tried filtering shitposts but unless everyone does it, it's pointless.

Trips of truth. September never ended, and it never will.

Creativity and autism go hand in hand, unfortunately. There's lots of things at work.
People getting invested in their ideas to the point of obsession, working with machines and programs to the point of forgetting how to deal with humans, getting upset over questionable things and either manufacturing drama or trying to take some people down a peg, lashing out at the world and pretending you're a misunderstood martyr, or more.
It's a shame, but there's always going to be something like this in every community. You just have to push it towards something productive.
Me, I just like making things, my autism is 100% invested in tinkering with shit and putting things together to see if they work or not. Sometimes this works against me because I get excited about an idea, work on it, and then move on once I don't have much more to do even if some people wanted "more" from it. But, ultimately, I've always been the kind of guy to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Stop being so tsundere

please leave

no

MoM user here, Just a quick update; The Journey to the Bee Village is a lot more easier now then it was in the Demo. Goblins no longer spawn in the Land of Magic until the first dungeon is cleared, and they is now a potion inside the grave diggers hut. In addition to this, the Nitro Gel, Death Cap and Mandragora can be consumed to give you minor Alchemy, Mana and Health!

just move in with me tbh

Tell me about it. I feel like things weren't this bad even 10 years ago, but nowadays I feel increasingly out of place. I hate the fact I regret coming here more and more.

Godspeed, MoM. Your characters may be gay as hell but your game looks cool nonetheless.

What's the connection there? You do understand that because something CAN be done, doesn't mean people will do it as a whole, right?

This is either low quality bait or you need to fuck off to halfchan's agdg.

because everyone bullied you to fuck off with your retarded shit and yet you're saying that like you think you're in the right

lurk more

git gud

get the fuck out kid diddler

goddammit have some pride in your work

T-The English Language is very complicated!
I'll fix that right away

You should probably have someone proofread your entire game's writing at some point. There's quite a few typos you make.

I actually am going to plan to do that. Every writing from now on will be proof read by two people, just to make sure it doesn't suck.

Writing really isn't my strong point unfortunately. Well, more so correct grammar.

i used to be an editor for a magazine, and if you want some help english is one of the only things i'm genuinely good at. don't let my lack of punctuation or capitalization fool you

You're lucky that's just about the easiest thing to fix.

GamePro

Stop with your "all localizations r bad!!" shit
There are times when dialogue needs to be changed to make sense like with puns, and arguably niche cultural references, and by definition that counts as localization. It's how they rework it that's important. Loss of context, change of character, inclusion of shitty memes, changes in character dynamics, basically anything cardbordo tree-house does are all markers of localization gone awry.

posting picture for ants as teaser of things to come
this hut is a model from a Ludum Dare project and has to be replaced

ACTUALLY, not so much in the case of my game. You know how the way the text box works in my game?… yeah, the Doom engine doesn't naturally do that. Every time I change text, I have to go through the process of counting how many letters they are so they make the "Boop Boop" noise it does as the text scrolls. It doesn't take too long, but every revision is a minute of work.

Looking good! Your outside textures remind me of diablo 1
also did you implement boarderless windowed yet?

Thanks, I hope it will look good in full-res as well. Keep a look-out.

>did you implement boarderless windowed yet?
I wanted to add a choice between exclusive fullscreen and borderless windowed for the demo day. Guess what. Unity allows the game to ONLY use ONE of the two once it's built. I'll be looking for some workaround for this because it's annoying as hell

Okay, that's bretty fucking cute.

did you do the weird winter jam?
do you know that your pokemon snap game was streamed on vinesauce?

after seeing the entries it's right bullshit that one indie pixel shit won over your game tbh

python is a good first step in the just like make game process, right?

That wasn't me, mate. I don't do jams aside from resistjam, fuck that was fun . The guy who made that game saw that his was on Vinesauce and mentioned it in the last thread, though.

jesus christ, I thought that faggot stayed in his containment 4am thread

musta missed it

He's all over the board.
Just look out for the sole nigger who end his sentences with "tbh"

with software transform-and-rotate pipeline, on my 980 ti.

Never seen him do that before, but I know the other genesisfag used to post with tbh and a plethora of other nigger acronyms, and I know for a fact that he isn't spider. Guess that was to poke fun at spider, huh?

Wait, does he speak like on coke?… He tested out my demo when I posted it on my Birthday, and I couldnt understand a single thing he was saying. I thought he was trying to get under my skin

Why's he called wolf spider?

he's an avatarfag

not exactly thread-safe

How the heck did you make a raytracer do thread-unsafe stuff? They're "embarrassingly parallel".

I've always thought of depression as the inability for your mind to correlate activities in the past with happiness and activities in the future with happiness which leads to a feeling as if you could live for a million years and not find a single spec of happiness during that time. It does not prevent you from feeling happy, it just prevents you from reminiscing or looking forward to something. If you do find a moment where you are happy or enjoying yourself, it will inevitably slip into memory where you will no longer be able to recognize that happiness. As such, I believe a common treatment recommended is to keep written records of times when you were happy or enjoying yourself so you can refer back to them when you're feeling down or despondent. Ideally, it's to make you logically realize that your life isn't bleak and devoid of happiness and hope.

This is just ramblings of an armchair psychologist though

TranslateAndRotate, the function call that prepares objects(by translating and rotating them) for the GPU fails horribly with multiple threads. It's a non-issue, since with this few objects TranslateAndRotate isn't a bottleneck.

unity is garbaaaaaaage
I'm sure there is a workaround though. If it's not an insane amount of trouble, maybe switch it to borderless windowed for demo day, then workaround later

that is cute
What's the dates? I might do something if I'm not working

I've always found depression to be more like a looming reminder that bad things await. Whenever something good happens, and it doesn't have to be complex, just a really funny joke you hear or something, it's followed up in my mind as "yeah, kay, that was funny but you still have to that stressful thing in a month, go worry about that instead". Or worse, if it's something more serious, a relationship or even just a friendship, every good moment is followed up by the expectation that somewhere down the line it will all end painfully.
Treatment is not something I'd dare suggest, because I know how differently it is for everyone (a typical suggestion around here is to exercise and join a gym, yet that only made things worse for me). But it's important to, instead of relying on the advice (((psychologists))) or your family, to just do what truly makes you happy. Cutting out 99% of socializing from my life and essentially becoming a shutin was the best thing that ever happened to me, yet every shrink I ever saw told me to do the complete opposite. Instead of focusing on appeasing others just so that they'd stay as my friends, I instead focused on gamedev, and cooking, another hobby of mine a strange one, too, since I love eating yet am severely underweight , and while life is far from perfect, I'm working on it and it's certainly better than it was a couple years ago when I was taking orders from family and shrinks.

Sage for blogpost.

itch.io/jam/love2d-jam-2018
Submissions are open from the 17th to the 20th.

not saying that you're evil or anything, but staying inside just brings up my feelings of loneliness and other dark thoughts, i do it anyway, because the outside is scary, i don't know, programming gets frustrating and i'm just flat-out incompetent at the one other thing i want to do(composition). but i still do it anyway, every day, so what even matters. what a horrible incoherent ramble

Trying to work on a mod for Kohan 2, going to practice out my 3d skills by starting with new models first. This is supposed to be a mindflayer type of unit. Going to work on the textures soon.

composition as in music or as in writing?

music

I'd consider that part of game development, unless you're also composing outside of games.

i doubt my raytracer will ever be practical in a game, also composition is personal to me

I'm so fucking tired of unity. Their active documentation links to obsolete and deprecated functions, which I'm sure don't work as expected or at all.

While I was typing this it crashed

I have a weird bug whenever I load a game made in unity of the entire window flickering then minimizing whenever I click. I don't know what causes it, and I hear nothing good about it, I'd stay away.

I have constant, daily issues with poor unity documentation or crashes yet whenever I google for solutions there's an army of retards ready to state that they've been using Unity for years and have never had it crash on them.

Today's progress. Added some cloth to his backside and the leg armor. Still have a book and the wing armor to make then I can go in and render.

Was gone for most of the day, so I only had enough time to mostly finish this jump and setup the project files for the next two animations (jump backright, jump back). Gotta throw some arm swings on this one, but gotta go to work.

your game looks great but the programmer art makes me weep, pls find an artist friend

link to the video? i don't know the name of the game

video is here:
youtu.be/4flbxXF9AAA?t=22m38s
might be this game, not sure:
ejew.in/games/oligocene-snapshot/

Fug, that I look at this, I'm wondering if I should add a big collar thing like these guys have. I'm trying to think of more areas to put the player colors.

How about these robes? Space for a primary colour (white here), secondary (patterned), tertiary (blue) and a trim (gold). Plus already heavily associated with the occult.

slamming that mother fucking New Reply button with no image attached.

That's what I heard. Pygame seems comfy even if it's purely made in code and there are lots and lots of documentation, PDFs, videos, and other tutorials for both Python and Pygame online and for free.

Thanks for the idea, I'm thinking of adding the player colors to the highlighted areas, with trim on the sleeves, maybe some kind of shoulderpad thing, and some design of the waist area. I would do the chest too, but that might get covered by the tentacles or something. Of course I'm probably getting ahead of myself since I still need to map it.

Imagine those tentacles going in your mouth and

I'm having some trouble, conceptually, getting decent lag compensation in a fast paced multiplayer game. Right now, everything looks great on the server, but clients can get hit from a mile off because of a small change in angle. I might just break everything up into separate RPC calls, one for the aiming phase and one for the actual firing phase.

is it too much to ask for us to talk about things related to games or game development here? instead of whining about being saaaaad and bitching about our devs that have actually published games.

Here's my magnum opus circa 2005. I want to believe.

6/10 should have had a narration like vid related

This would be nice, but people are hooked on emotionposting.

I don't think I posted this yet. It's a camera test video, the first like 30 seconds are all that matter, everything else is old news. Next video will have sprites and 'computer' toggleable trip lasers working.

Make a decent editor so people can make and share puzzles.

O.. oh, It doesn't look very much like Doom.

Yeah mind flayers are pretty cool but have you tried spooky liches

You can't bone a lich.

you're wrong though

How hard is this to get into again?
Thinking of making a 2d platformer with combat like dead cells, salt and sanctuary or rogue legacy and maybe a cyberpunk story/setting
Where should I start? I dont know much about art as in music and graphics/artstyle
How do I teach myself that?
Should I use Unity c# or some other engine?
could I do it in half a year?

Well, shit, can't argue with that.

no

Depends how much you care and how much you like your project

Make a prototype. Follow a few simple pixel art tutorials, maybe start drawing.
Code basic movement and interactions without assets, then browse twitter #pixerart or #pixeldailies and find an unknown artist to collaborate with 50/50.

If you're really new to any kind of game making Unity's great. You will get stuck eventually, using Unity basically means that you won't have problems in case that happens.
After that it's really about what business model you like the most.

Probably a year, depending how much content you want to make and how fast you work

here

If you don't like pain but are okay with worse performance and input lag, learn C# and do Unity.

If you're not okay with the above things and are a masochist, learn C++ and use UE4, but be prepared for autistic syntax the likes of which humanity has never seen before and Epic regularly fucking something up and taking months to fix (e.g. multiple instances of Visual Studio opening up in the background and eating your resources). Also if you elect to use UE4, you pretty much need Visual Assist, which is a paid plugin, but I ended up pirating it because fuck paying 100$ for it. (that said, the amount of things this plugin does almost justifies the price in my mind. It's actually pretty good and I'm amazed that Microsoft didn't buy it yet to include in Vanilla VS).

I don't have any experience with Godot, but it seems like anons like it? Not sure.

This is a complete and utter meme, don't even bother with any of the "visual scripting" gimmicks that UE4 and the like push out. Those are assistant and rapid prototyping tools, at best. Programming is really, honestly not that difficult. You just need to have a basic understanding of logic and some determination. Things will snap into place as you practice, just remember the following:

1) If you're having a difficult time understanding something, read the explanation in multiple places and then ask around in gamedev communities. There are plenty of forums and (((disagreement))) servers where there's tens of thousands of people that for whatever fucking reason seem to be literally living and breathing to help amateurs. These people have crammed into my head within a day what my CS teacher could not within a year. I can't stress enough how much having someone else explain something to you one-on-one makes a difference.

2) If you're having a seriously hard time, chances are you're doing things incredibly wrong and you need to take a step back and not be afraid to carve out walls of code. (I just recently tried to implement octrees without encapsulating them in a big boy class. I broke my brain in 12 places before I realized how fucking retarded I was being.) Step back and ask people if what you're doing is retarded.

You learn as you go along. You don't learn everything right away and then implement the knowledge - you start at zero and get better over time.

The same does not apply to art, however. You cannot learn how to draw overnight, it's not an exact science and you have to pump out thousands of pages of studies until you're good. My advice is find an artist or make a game that does not need good art, aka pixelshit or something like that.

No. It's a long journey but after about a year you're gonna have some stuff you're gonna be proud of, if you work hard.

Dead cells has pretty elaborate combat relatively speaking, you need to build a system that is able to handle all kinds of movement/animation events and hitboxes and timings and combo sequences. It takes a fair amount of programming expertise to be able to pull off something like that, and there's no engine that'll do it for you.

Multiply that by 10 and we can start talking.

Can anyone explain me what's wrong with my code ? Whatever I do I keep getting this shitty error :

m_rays.push_back(std::make_pair(sf::Vector2f, sf::Vector2f));

g++ main.cpp Camera.hpp Camera.cpp -lsfml-graphics -lsfml-system -lsfml-window -o oCamera.cpp: In member function ‘void Camera::raycast()’:Camera.cpp:18:53: error: expected primary-expression before ‘,’ token m_rays.push_back(std::make_pair(sf::Vector2f, sf::Vector2f)); ^Camera.cpp:18:67: error: expected primary-expression before ‘)’ token m_rays.push_back(std::make_pair(sf::Vector2f, sf::Vector2f)); ^Makefile:2 : la recette pour la cible « all » a échouéemake: *** [all] Erreur 1

well the combat system more or less works
if you block an attack, the opponent gets staggered, and then you can sort of counterattack
but since it takes time to start an attack after blocking, the opponent also has time to do the same to you
ultimately it boils down to who can land a single attack or not, since interrupting the opponents attacks once can more or less ruin his chances of ever blocking successfully again
shield bashing helps too, since that also interrupts an opponent and can let you quickly recover from getting hit
still need to put sound effects in though, otherwise it's hard to tell what's actually happening

I'm going to guess that sf::Vector2f is a type. std::make_pair needs two objects to construct a pair, but you've given it two types. Fix it by adding the function call at the end of sf::Vector2f ie sf::Vector2f(). This will default construct a sf::Vector2f and that object will be used in std::make_pair.

It works, ty m8.

Code is not really debuggable if you don't post it, but why are you passing a type to make_pair?

Raycast. I need an x and a y coordinate to where my ray starts and ends.

How do you do camera movement in SFML? Do you just move everything on screen by x/y amounts?

Don't

Use some kind of camera object with x/y coordinates, and then add it to everything when drawing or calculating matrices.

Please explain further

Give the camera the same coordinates as the character it is supposed to film and make it move so it follows the character.

I don't remember how SFML works so it's hard to describe more specifically, but basically when you draw a sprite, you use camera's position + sprite position instead of just sprite position. If you're using GPU rendering with matrices, you need to add the camera into a matrix somewhere.

Then you match the camera position with whatever object you want it to follow.

I have tried Unity and dicked around in Unreal with Tutorials and making somewhat of a prototype in Unreal.
Godot seems really nice and i might stick with it, but it has less systems built in to help you compared to unreal.(this might be my own fault since i have been using blueprint as a crutch and because i dont know godot as well)
What might be the worse for a beginner is that the community hasnt asked and answered a lot of the questions you might have, at least not in a way that shows up on google.
Some people here seem to have knowledge about it and can help you i was the guy that had trouble with mouse input in godot and got help in the thread
You also dont have a large asset store like unity or even one like unreal, in case you want to buy assets/systems from there, and no direct options for importing stuff to the engine like with unreal or unity, so that will be less convenient, although they seem to be working on directly importing Blender Scenes.

Looking back on this it seems pretty negative, but you can hear whats good about it on any of the community sites.
Also since its foss it seems like it cant exist without some cringeworthy preachers, that will praise it on the internet all day and bash the alternatives, probably just because its foss.
The webm is from the facebook group, but while the post wasnt deleted the mods locked comments on it and basically said "please dont make us look like retards", so it seems they are pretty reasonable.

tldr:try godot, but dont fall for the retards that shill it all day, while bashing unity and unreal.

How about illithiliches/alhoons?

but they don't have spooky skulls though

make em wear spooky skull hats and skull accessories. (alhoons probably have skulls but they have to keep their tentacles so you can tell they're illithids)

What about a human lich who obtains mind flayer traits through black magic and as a result has bone tentacles on his face?

soft tnr provides a small performance boost of around 50 to 60 frames on my m3000m, which is neat

this looks absolutely cool

How do I go back to those times

Too bad they don't exist anymore, would have been fun to play and share them.

someone make a video game about potion making but nothing in a simplistic manner, only highly in-depth gameplay pls

Sure, why not.

FUCKING UNITY
I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THE AI CAN HIT ME BY BLOCKING FOR LITERAL HOURS NOW

The closest thing to this that I've ever seen was Thaumcraft mod for Minecraft, where you use magical "aspects" for alchemy. You literally run around the world inspecting various objects to extract their aspects for magical recipes. They're pretty intuitive, too, which is pretty cool.

For example I think cobblestone has earth aspect and entropy aspect, because it consists of broken up stone. The more complex objects you use, the more complicated, compound aspects that can be broken down or used as-is start appearing.

Damn it user, the one fucking thing I'm incapable of doing. Better not make those girls too cute.

if I wanted atelier I'd have said

Thaumcraft suffers from "lets shove alot of cool ideas into one huge thing, oh wait we gotta balance this shit and redesign all the old stuff to work for the new stuff"

Could you people stop shitposting ideaguy ideas especially when your idea is one of the things I have semi-worked out in my ideas folder.

I would love to see you're work tbh

I wish it was more lengthy, too. A lot of research is useless and can't really be played around with too much because they're so damn specialized. I also wish there was more lore. The last Thaumcraft mod I played had it's progression cut off with Far Lands' bosses, which is honestly wasted potential in my eyes.

yeah the high end stuff is either shit from other mods or just alot of grinding

*your

you's*

I'M ABOUT TO GO TETRADEV ON ALL Y'ALL

DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW

I kid

Hello this is Nintendo, you have just infringed on our "Toad" and "1-Up Mushroom" copyrights so we are suing you for a million dollars.

don't fuck with these mushrooms kiddo

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised that Vinesauce hasn't been sued for using the 1-Up as their logo.

he's had alot of issues with nintendo over the years

Well certainly, but those are the same issues other let's players and streamers have had. I'm curious about the logo specifically, as that one would make a bit of sense.

How come so much of /agdg/ likes Vinny?

why the fuck did you two steal my idea?

he gotten alot more enjoyable to watch because he came out of his depression and being a memelord teen. he's still a massive casual though

WEWlad

did you post just to use these two pictures?

shame on you for being baited this easily

When was he depressed?

you're so wrong it's not even funny

back when he had that job at that studio in like 2016, even some of the best streams from then he was still not having fun and down right irritable at some hardship

Surreal walking sims are great though

no

I can't say I do, I'm just aware of him. Most of Vinny's humor is unfunny references or heavily dependent on the game, hencewhy Tomodachi Life is one of his most popular playthoughs. Doesn't help that he's a Redditor with shit taste, having liked both Skyrim and The Last Jedi.
I watch his stuff sometimes, when I run out of animu to watch in the background.
Joel is better in that regard, but he can't escape Reddit either, loving both Undertale and Jojo.
And I've tried watching the other guys, but never saw much appeal to any of them.

Is that Fefe's less-retarded cousin?

joel is just a meme loving fuck tbh

BRUH

you delete this right now.

make me nerd

How would you guys program a system that checks if a Quest has any requirements, then goes over each one of them, and if one fails the Quest doesn't get printed as a choice?

Can't seem to get the logic to work in my head, don't know where to start.
Working in C#

bool requirementsMet=true;
for()
{
if()
{
requirementsMet=false;
break;
}
}
if(requirementsMet)
{
…
}

Also, don't forget that the [code] tag exists.

why would i bother using [code] for pseudocode?

no need for [code] unless you're writing out proper code

I mean, why wouldn't you? :^)
Also it's kinda lame pseudocode to be honest; you could store quest requirements using bitflags (1 bit for each met requirement) and then just check if those requirements are met using a bitmask.

Don't be gay, if you have multiple indents in you code then that's exactly what code tags exist for. It takes you 1 second to type the tags.
for (quests){ bool requirementsMet = true; for (quests[i].list_of_requirements){ if (!quests[i].list_of_requirements[ii].accomplished){ requirementsMet = false; break; } } if (requirementsMet){ //requirements met, print this quest as a choice }}

Way too early to talk about pointless optimizations.

>programmer art
I hope that you don't mean the grass. Yeah, that hut was just a test. I hope to make a new one soon. Something like the homes in polish scansens and still lived-in architecture in nearby villages

don't talk shit about the blobby bois tho

Uh, it'd be a much more scalable and direct solution than having multiple for loops and conditionals on top of a bigass multi-array of bools. There's a huge difference between choosing to do things efficiently and optimizing before it's necessary. IMO the whole "pointless optimization" meme has gone too far to the point where I feel like people here are just going to code their games poorly without understanding the problems they're having or the solutions they're being given. Which, I guess is fine, but like you've probably seen before people eventually will need to rewrite 90% of their code once they realize that those "pointless optimizations" are actually a big fucking deal. I'm willing to bet anons here have abandoned projects more than once when they've had to work a prototype into a polished game that requires performance. I understand where the pointless optimization meme comes from, and I get that it can be helpful, but I feel like it will do more harm than good for the anons here.

Now how should i bind the holster? i think the red option will look better, i don't want to go over the top with belts like a JRPG character
Also it would deform better with ease

Go for the red one. Green will be a pain in the ass to do and nobody would even appreciate it.

Turning that shit into a bitfield is not a "big fucking deal". That check is probably executed once in a blue moon so the question of speed doesn't even enter the equation. But more importantly, since you're checking for quest requirements you may want to be able to do something more complicated to check for conditions than checking for a single boolean bit. Of course that depends on how the whole system is structured, but that's the thing; we don't know, so we shouldn't try to optimize it yet.

yeah, that is what i was thinking

Fair enough. I guess I've just been getting the impression that people have just been throwing around "premature optimization" as a buzzword. And besides, if you know how to decouple your code into neat modular parts, you can always swap out different implementations easily (e.g. changing how quests are handled, through bitfields or some nodes in linked-list poset, or whatever else). Maybe it bothers me as much as it does because I can see it being an abused design philosophy where people skip the planning stage entirely and just code until it just werks.

we've come full circle

no quest of defending a bridge against a series of opponents for renown/honor Or a toll at the cost of renown/honor

Is there anything really wrong with using glbegin() and glend() to get started?

What about monogame or gamemaker are they any good? or is unity the recommended for beginners in 2d?

I personally use Love2D, but it's less an engine and more a framework, where you have to build most everything on your own, and it only handles the very basics for you.
I used to use GM:S, but 1.4 has borked controller support and trying to use GM:S 2's workspace nearly gave me a fucking stroke. Don't get me wrong, nu-Game Maker is way more useable than old Game Maker, to the point where you can get a functional game in it, and if you're not sure about whether you truly want to make a game, you could throw something together in six months to a year, as an experiment. And if that works out, try porting it to a different engine, then, as by then you'll have ideas on how to handle everything, and it will be a matter of Googling how to execute it in the engine you choose.
You can also look into Godot, a lot of anons here like it, even if most people like it solely because it's FOSS.

Can't really comment on the others, as I haven't used them, though I do know that Unity's 2D is pretty bloated for what it is.

Monogame is so freeing after using Unity. Never used Gamemaker.
I recommend Monogame or some other framework, because it actually teaches you to program. Using Unity is like cheating except you never win.

finally, I've been coding all this in the last few weeks
I know its not much to show, but I like a detailed loading process

Gamemaker is certainly usable nowadays, but it still tends to teach you a lot of bad habits and make you "lazy" so to say. It's what I started with 15-17 years ago, and if I could go back and stop myself from using it and learn C++ or something instead I'd do it in a heartbeat.
That said, I still occasionally use it for extremely rapid prototyping. I used to have a buddy who wrote wacky shitty stories and I'd turn them into games in like one or two hours, like a simple MS paint tier room escape or an endless runner chasing after a secret agent.

The graphics make me think of the OG mount and blade.

is this the new banterlord?

Let me say this: if you want to use Unity for 2D, it depends STRONGLY on your goals. If you want to make something low res and "classic" style, I would actually recommend avoiding Unity, as someone who is using it for my project. The reason is because you really need to do some pretty "hacky" things to get pixel perfection and even then things have issues.
I started working with Unity several years ago, and while I'm happy with what I have right now, if I could go back in time and choose something else like Godot I probably would.
If by 2D though, you refer to gameplay style and not necessarily low res visuals, then Unity is fine.

Pants + Boots + Holster done
I will have plenty to show on the report tomorrow

Teeeeechnically there already is!
GZDoombuilder is a very powerful map editor, but making puzzles with it requires a bit of scripting which I think would be beyond most people.

Please do go on

Also if you're into making puzzle maps you could consider making some in Quake. You can make prettier level geometry and I'm pretty sure there's more freedom with scripting stuff, though it is done via flagging brushes and placing logic entities. You can also implement some stuff like trick jumps or other mobility challenges into puzzle maps for some variety.

I thought his game was supposed to be a horror type game. Trick jumps dont seem like they fit there, but maybe you're actually on to something.

Is it too crazy to try learning pixel art without knowing how to properly draw normally?

Well, certain principles are universal. Things like animating clothing, proportions, and that kind of stuff. But you can learn with pixel art just like you can learn with normal art, and there are some exclusive skills that apply to low res art vs high res etc. I think its fine to learn with pixel art but just make sure you're actually learning. Practicing regular drawing will help you in both areas, so imo you really should just practice both anyways.

A positive of pixel art is that there is only a certain number of spots that any given pixel shall be, so if something doesn't look quite right, it's often a fairly simple act of what I call pixel-shifting - just shifting it around by a pixel or two, and often times (though certainly not always) it works out.
On the other hand, you must realize that this means that detail is hard. If you want to have, let's say, a loli that has a plush bear or something, it's unlikely that you can put too much detail into the plush, like eyes, depending on how big or small you want it to be. It's important, then, to realize this and make any details as big as possible, or at least to accent them with the right colors. It's all about making the best of your (presumably limited) palette as well as the space you allow yourself to use.

I used to do Minecraft texture packs back when it first came out. It taught me a lot about color. I'd say that's the one thing you can really benefit from if you do pixelart - you can focus on color nearly exclusively.

Lemme just dump these while you guys are on the topic

I see, I realize now that once again I tried to find a shortcut to something that only demands regular and disciplined practice. Thanks for the advice.

I would add that working with limited pallettes is kinda liberating too.

Are these the one whose links are broken in the wiki?

Avoid pure black outlines like the plague, user.

cute space dildo, do you use it often?

It doesn't seem so bad, but ok, you have a point. I think I'll stop posting the amateur scribbles and focus on the learning and practice.

only when thinking about you

How do I learn topology

ebalstudios.com/blog/polygon-modeling-basics

Doesn't enum enter into this?

Commander Keen?

how does raytraced descent clone sound?

DO IT

Alright, here's what I hope is a non-retarded answer. You need to decide if you want your quests to be primarily represented as code or data. You also need a way to store and query any quest requirements you might want to access, so I'd suggest putting this in a singleton. For the sake of simplicity and speed, I'm going to assume that you can store each quest criteria with a single event type and integer (like checking if a guard with a specific ID is bribed). In this, a quest is simply a list of criteria that must be fulfilled to begin.

I haven't tested this, naturally, but it should point you in the right direction or be usable with some fixes.
public enum QuestType {NPCKilled, QuestCompleted, GuardBribed}public class QuestQuery { private GameData m_data;// This is the function that would actually figure out if the quest can be startedpublic bool QuestAvailable(Criteria[] quest) { for(int i = 0; i < quest.requirements.length; i++) { if (!QuestParameterComplete(quest.requirements[i]) return false; } return true;}// Check if a single parameter is completeprivate bool QuestParameterComplete(Criteria c) { if (c.quest_type == QuestType.NPCKilled) { return NPCKilled(c.quest_data); } else if (c.quest_type == QuestType.GuardBribed) { return GuardBribed(c.quest_data); } // ... all other possible parameters // todo: Make this a switch statement, you pajeet}// Check data stored in m_data and return true or false to each specific condition// These are all specific to your gamepublic bool GuardBribed(int id) { return true;}private bool NPCKilled(int id) { // Check stored data to if this this specific NPC was killed, and return true or false return true;}private bool QuestCompleted(int id) { return true;}}// A quest is just a list of the events and data to be checked, called a Criteria// public class Criteria { public QuestType quest_type; public int quest_data; public Criteria(QuestType quest_type, int quest_data) { this.quest_type = quest_this; this.quest_data = quest_data; }}And here's how you'd use it. You'd want to load these from a text file dynamically, or at least hard code them somewhere easy to edit.// Just checks to see if the player has killed these four specific NPCsvar killRoute = new Criteria{ new Criteria(QuestType.NPCKilled, 120), new Criteria(QuestType.NPCKilled, 15), new Criteria(QuestType.NPCKilled, 5), new Criteria(QuestType.NPCKilled, 200)}// Alternatively, they could just bribe a specific NPCvar bribeRoute = new Criteria{ new Criteria(QuestType.GuardBribed, 200)}// And here's how we'd finally test itvar questQuery = new QuestQuery();if (questQuery.QuestAvailable(killRoute)) { print("Killing NPCs is fine");}if (questQuery.QuestAvailable(bribeRoute)) { print("Bribing NPCs is fine too");}if (questQuery.QuestAvailable(bribeRoute) && questQuery.QuestAvailable(killRoute) { print("But bribing them AND killing them?");}

questQuery.QuestAvailable(bribeRoute) && questQuery.QuestAvailable(killRoute)
should be
questQuery.QuestAvailable(bribeRoute | killRoute)

Inspiration will strike one day. Until then I'll be stuck making dumb shit.

Who //go on 4chan Holla Forums's gamedev threads, 4chan's agdg, 8ch's agdg thread on Holla Forums and then the /agdg/ board // here?

I don't think it's possible to butcher the "/" "/" quotation style more.

I don't go to 4chan.

Most people here don't go to 4chan on principle. I miss it, but I don't value what it's become, and I won't return.

Benn considering eventually adding a descent-inspired realm to the somewhat-furfaggy sandbox game I'm making, but that'd be for a later update. Right now I'm laying the groundwork for NPC AI, which is a hugely important part of the game. Also revamping the world generator a bit, as well as general frameworking.

If I am close to releasing a game I will go probably have to post on 4chan/reddit just to get more eyes on my game. I don't really have a valid reason or want to participate in those communities beyond self-promotion.

I'm pretty sure that part is correct I spotted some other errors, though, I'll probably fix it and repost it later

This is a horror/puzzle game, yeah. Trick jumps and parkour wouldn't really mesh well into it.
I've been wanting to check out the Quake engine for a while, though, I actually initially took a stab at this in Dark Places.
Unfortunately, I'm a moron who couldn't really understand much of QuakeC, and the brush-based mapping was a huge shift in what I'm used to compared to sector-based mapping. So I decided to stick with the engine I know a bit more about.
After this, though, I'm probably gonna give Dark Places another go. Being able to leap and jump around more freely would be fun.

Speaking of which, here's the second puzzle done. The set-up for this will probably be a little bit more complicated, maybe solving riddles that give one number at a time, but I still wanted to get the keypad done first.

Loyalty's a hell of a drug.

try{Assert.IsTrue(File.exists(currentSceneDir+"/"+playerFileName+".txt"));}catch (Exception e){File.create(currentSceneDir+"/"+playerFileName+".txt");}

you're being a little dramatic, fred

I made a shitty pong game for the NES. It does just about nothing.
You can open this post's PNG with 7zip to get the roms.
Features:

* Multiplayer only. No AI. You can play by yourself with multiple controllers.
* Hold A to move the paddle faster.
* Hitting the ball at the edge of your paddle sends it off at an angle.
* When you get more than 9 points the score disappears and nothing happens. Pretend that this means you win.
* Sometimes a miss is randomly a hit for some reason.
* Sometimes a hit is randomly a miss for some reason.
* When you get 5 consecutive hits, the ball speeds up.
* No sound. I haven't figured that out yet.

There are two versions here. pong.nes has the "5 consecutive hits" thing and resets the speed when somebody misses. hardcorepong.nes speeds up with 5 consecutive hits or misses, and never stops speeding up. Playing in hardcore mode quickly becomes unmanageable, as the speed never resets. After a bit, you see the scores wrap back around through the letters and numbers again. The ball eventually will loop back to a slow speed, but it takes a long time because when the speed gets crazy, it starts tunneling to the other side of the screen.

It's also FOSS: gitgud.io/Taywee/pong (It's asm and C; there's an older version with less functionality in the asmonly branch).

Who?

Anyways, it's frustrating because Mark is so bad at moderating and refuses to rein i his shitty mods that it destroys and semblance of a community that Holla Forums has, I just want to make game for you guys, but it's like I don't want to use Holla Forums now

Yeah, I know what you mean. Agdg gets 20-40 posts nuked roughly every thread. We're more heavily moderated than neofag.

And here's a video of hardcore mode in action.

I'm trying to find a decent resource that would tell me basically everything about Unity's animation controller, rather than just how to mess with the sliders and attach lines between boxes. I've found hell

That's it, I'm gonna start labeling my Jewtube videos "tutorials" too.

hey, I like Autumn Willow. keep posting

That sums up 95% of youtube tutorials.

How is it that these "professionally produced" tutorials are worse than the shitty ones I made in 2008 in Movie Maker?

Knowledge.

Hey can anyone suggest anything to write docs that would be accessible via browser?
Looking for some kind of cms to help me create a set of docs for modding and collecting information on how the code works.

I don't really want to write my own code for it, really cannot be fucked

i dont understand what you want. do you want to write docs so others can mod your game?

Do you mean creating HTML and CSS files?

Yes, wondering if there's a pre-built CMS that does that where I don't have to write a line of code

Yes, except I don't do each one by hand

What exactly is it that you're trying to avoid? If you know HTML, just create a template that fits what you need, and reuse it. If you don't know HTML, or you're lazy, or care about form over function, set up a basic WordPress site and make a post for each entry.

How about making your own wikidot?

How about you look up what a CMS is?
You're pretty much asking why wikis aren't edited by uploading html files you edit manually. Do you think every engine out there manually sets up every page of their documentation?

Is there a particular reason you don't want to use Doxygen, or do you just not know of it?
stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/

with pong

But it's obvious it would.
How the fuck do you expect to enable a script from OnTriggerEnter if it won't trigger on disabled scripts?
That's the whole reason the method was made to begin with afaik

well i don't
that's the whole idea
that's how most other scripts work
i won't expect LateUpdate to be called from a script that's disabled, and i sure as fuck wouldn't expect OnTriggerEnter to work in the same situation

sphinx is used by Godot
sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/
doxygen has been mentioned already and it's also very good

This is exactly what I was looking for, I'll give them both a try.
Thanks

docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Collider.OnTriggerEnter.html

Turns out it's a collider message sent to all scripts on the object that owns the collider.
Did you disable the collider? :^)

no you ninny
i need the collider on a weapon for 2 things
a) attack
b) block an attack
if you're attacking, you have a collider on the weapon and a script that checks if that collider is hitting a person or another weapon/shield
if you're blocking, the script is disabled, but you still need the collider to be on for the attacker to know what he's hit
there's an obvious way to get around this, in the script i just check if it's enabled or not
it's just the absurdity of the situation that makes me mad
in what other situation do you have to check if a script is disabled from the very same script?

when you have a 'disabled' enemy, waiting for the player to touch a trigger to 'spawn' the enemy. That way you don't need a 'enemy manager' thing, you just have the enemy manage themselves

disabled: of a device or mechanism : rendered inoperative (as by being damaged or deliberately altered) - a disabled alarm
if i have a cripple i don't expect him to magically un-cripple himself
someone else gives him a wheelchair or whatever
disabled means that you can't do shit on your own
you need someone else to do it for you
in your case, you'd expect the trigger to spawn the enemy, not the enemy to suddenly wake up on his own

makes sense, but it's not optimal
you can just drag a prefab with the disabled enemy + trigger and plop into the game map.

You can drag and drop 100s of enemies in less than a minute that way, never having to configure each one or associate them with a exterior trigger

It makes sense while not making sense, welcome to programming

Oh God, I'm laughing so hard.

user, a puzzle means that you have to put the pieces together. This is the equivalent of having a walkthrough directly in your game.
I know you said you're gonna make it harder, but seriously.

It's pretty obviously just a test of the keypad system plus a joke.
Although it'd be extra funny if he kept it in the final game in this exact form, scripted that camera reaction to happen and have you die of a heart attack.

what's the point of the entry/exit node in mecanim?
the way i saw it, you're supposed to use them for something like different idle animations without a trillion entry/exit conditions
but if you want to interrupt any of the idles, you still need a condition for every single idle animation, otherwise you have to wait for the animation to finish before you can exit the state machine
it's easier to just use a blend tree

then do it faggot

I bet the reason the Playables API was made was because of how shitty Mecanim Animators are. They are terrible to configure and terrible to manage the current animation.

I suggest you learn the Playables API and abandon the Mecanim's way of doing things.

I have little to no experience on both of those, but the Playables API gives more freedom

agreed

I don't really care about principle, but I don't go there because of insufferable faggotry that goes on there
the only exception being /vg/hgg2d/, which I check on seldom
on the other hand, cripplechan is really comfy, and you get a eerie feeling that you know people, almost like circle jerking

I don't know what Playables API is, but I can confirm the Unity Mecanim animator is fucking awful. Not only that, it breaks costantly.

use markdown faggot, coudln't be easier

Didn't know it existed.
I'll look into it

you ever wonder, "what the fuck am i reading?"

alright, custom idles are in via blend tree, so i don't have to somehow fuck up the whole animator
integrated with my shitty node editors so you can set it up via ai behavior. i could integrate it with the dialogue editor too, but they'd be somewhat conflicting since ai behaviors are every few seconds anyways

Not entirely sure what I want to do with this dumb thing. Maybe attempt to add stage states, more enemies and weapons or something?

Might just be the recording, but it looks like it runs at 30fps, or less. Moving from my 120fps project to watching this makes it look extra-terrible.
If it runs at 30, you might wanna consider fixing that. 30's not acceptable on consoles, let alone PC.

The game runs at 60. That's just the way it was recorded(at 15fps) because I have no real experience with recording software. I tried capturing it at 30, but the output ran way too fast for some reason when I watched it.

next will be the hat, i might recycle it from the old model

Friday report done
fablesoflaetus.com/report37/

I like to do multiplayer and can get it working very smoothly but I don't know what game to do.

I think it has to be co-op (but probably playable as 1p), because I don't want to need dedicated servers. Any ideas?

pong

do an rts

Assignment deadline passed, finished my shit as well as I could. Now I am finally free to aggy my daggies for at least a week or two.

An RTS Pong, where you send units along your side to bounce back balls

Make a sven coop game

You want an actual game that can be played 1P but with possible 2P?
Or like an arcade game that can be played against AI or another player?

>>>/anywherebuthere/

Force yourself to work on it. If you can make substantial progress under struggle, then you will make plenty of progress when you're stable.

If you can draw well, then you can nail pixel art.

You can do it without learning about drawing but a lot of things would fly over your head and you would have to use extra tools to assist you.

I'm not sure. At first I did something like quidditch RL style but I realized it wouldn't go far without matchmaking and dedicated servers because nobody would arrange 6 ppl to play together through ip.

Now I made both a top down facing mouse mp environment and a standard 3rd person one, but I don't have any ideas for gameplay besides a neat dash movement I made.

It's now in my ideafaggotry folder, although other people are more than free to make it as well because I don't like networking

pong is already real time

A one player game that can also be played in two players is pretty hard to do. The easiest thing you can make could be a twin stick shooter, with drop in multiplayer.

You could mix that with some basic 3D platforming a-la Super Mario World with a static camera to make it easier for multiple people to play.
Maybe add some customization options on characters (guns, perks, etc).

Arcade stuff, I dunno, it's hard to come up with something new hat hasn't been already done a hundred times. Not my forte.

It's real bad user

super mario 3D world*

Something like risk of rain perhaps? HMmm

Seems more like PVP Arkanoid/Breakout. Might be fun.

They're making the new in 3D so maybe not as similar, but yeah along those lines

I dunno guys maybe I'm just retarded but this "Just like make game" thing doesn't sound easy at all!

Who said it was easy?

Why thank you user, after about 3 iterations (including an amazingly janky first iteration that relied on a timer) this is similar to the conclusion I arrived at. The only "games" I've made so far have been some 8x8 led matrix falling rocks and maze games as projects for my engineering classes, so I've got to get used to more complex math than simple binary arithmetic.

I guess I was gleaning the wrong message from the AGDG motto.

The motto isn't "this is easy to do", the motto is "go and fucking do it you double nigger"
That's how I always took it, at least.

JLMG is more about not giving a fuck about what engine you use or how you program something, as long as you fucking make the game. The end result is what matters, not the implementation behind it unless you fuck up so hard the end result becomes unplayable.

Yup. Like I said, the set-up for this will be a little bit more complicated and not just numbers on the ceiling.
Lots of options of how, really. One game I played had numbers hidden through the room you had to dig up and add up, in Silent Hill 3 there was finding books and putting them on a shelf to reveal a number. I just wanted to do the keypad first.

Pretty much this.
At the end of the day, the player isn't going to care how you coded your thing or what engine you used, what they're going to care about is whether your game is fun.
Don't use this as an excuse to slack off or cut corners, obviously, but fucking make something. Hell, make something in fucking RPG Maker, that's a shit-tier engine but I've been having a whole ton of fun with the wannabe-creepy games in that.

>i set the scale of the sprite to 0

found this video on your link

I don't like dead hours

I know I'm being tracked but they could at least be a little less blatant

What engine are you using? Unity?

Yeah. I think I figured out a decent way to do it. I'm working on an online game, so I have two stages to an attack.
If I just let the client decide which way they shot, they'd be off a few degrees due to lag and the interpolation which would cause a massive discrepancy. Now I'm setting it up so that the charging "waits" until it recieves a message from the server saying to fire it, along with the player's final angle. That way, even if there's some lag in position and rotation, it at least fires in the right direction.

I ended up just creating a Vector3, and yielding while its null; when it gets a message from the server, it sets the vector3 to the angle, which the coroutine consumes next frame and sets back to null. Not as pretty as I'd like, but simple and should work.

I'm trying to hack together an open world system in godot. Not the easiest thing to do. I'm mapping terrain tiles to cells in a json for now, and going to see if I can get the engine to load them based on player position.

On my next project, I was thinking of allowing servers to use custom Lua scripts. Would I have to do that by designing most of my actual gameplay in Lua? So they'd have access to everything needed for gameplay and can edit most of the flow. Sounds a lot more difficult.
here's a picture because I know you niggers only respond to posts with images

You can just write an interface.

This looks pretty shitty, but it might have some good code for you to cannibalize.

github.com/khairul169/cubiventure

Would be impossible for them to really modify the gameplay unless a lot of it is already in Lua, though

Why LUA?
Wouldn't it be more likely the user that is likely to write custom code would use something a bit more used?

What?

Why LUA specifically?

It's generally the go-to language for modding, relatively lightweight, and easy to parse and embed in an actual engine. Why not Lua?
It's Lua

It really depends on what you mean by modify.

indians are a mistake

Blender makes me legitimately angry
how the fuck do people use this piece of trash holy shit

It's not that bad, man.
You just put some chopped fruit in, pour some milk, maybe add some ice cream and get a bretty solid summer smoothie.

that's gay
real devs drink black coffee

Real devs stay awake through willpower alone.

Gamedev actually keeps me up at night, cause I keep thinking about how to implement/optimize features in bed. I have to listen to podcasts to distract my brain, otherwise I can't fall asleep.

WHO MADE THIS

nevermind apparently that's not even what I needed

What do the angels tell you, Fred?

They're telling me that I forgot to wish Joe a happy birthday

I do this too tbh

Can I not select things with RMB while in edit mode in blender?
Am I fucking retarded?

???

I'm clicking but nothings happening what the fuck

Ah, you are retarded.
You cannot select a different object when you are in edit mode for one object.

could you maybe spam less?

That's fucking idiotic

no?

Here's my pitch
An indie-style art game that uses premade assets, except all the art is long and pixelated paired with a pre-made platforming engine. Where are my investors at?

but this post is my (5) :

> :

goodbye, agdg, in the last 4 minutes I've already received $200,000 over kickstarter. Please do not contact me.

user we're past bumplimit on page 12, this thread is about to be replaced anyway. He can spam as much as he wants as long as it's on topic.

world's deadliest enemy

we have reached page 13 and i'm not going to embarrass myself by somehow fucking up the OP

looks good user, fucking peasants amirite?
but it seems if they stood a little bit further apart the clipping would be so bad

Learn from your mistakes, instead of giving up and never doing the thing you messed up again. That is how you make game.

NEW BREAD

FYI, is that reddit? if so those related links are static
also didn't know about a unity3d board

play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-gen7ou-701994783