Video Games in the cloud

Now before you throw your green texts at me. Hear me out, I have a beefy rig at home but my laptop is more of a light weight laptop for general use. At first I tried Rainway, and while the service is still in beta, right now it is unusable with a mobile hotspot. Which lead me to look at alternatives, one of those being a service called parsec. I was basically able to play a full game of Sonic Adventure 2 on a mobile hotspot with minimal hickups.

Now as you may or may not know, 5G should be released around 2020, which is basically like the jump from 3G to 4G. Now my question for Holla Forums is that do you see these services taking off into a big business? Like say have a beefy rig at home and play anywhere on a Nintendo Switch or Android device. Or do you think people will still pay mad shekels for a gaming laptop.

At the very least I can see companies who use Denuvo to use this technology to abandon games stored on a hard drive and go for a more cloud based approach even though it sounds absolutely terrifying.

At this point I have given up on trying to fight the tide, normalfags will ruin everything and there is nothing I can do about it except not waste my own money on cancerous products and buying games that deserve support.

Hell no, they'll charge you to render it on their render farm and cut you a % deal rate if you also stream it to their own proprietary service.
If you want to know the future…imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

In a perfect world this would solve the "I only have a toaster" issue, but we live in this reality.

We already tried this with the Ouya, it didn't work.
That being said, a computer streaming service like what Steam uses would be possible in 5G and for linked connections able to host synchronized multiplayer for couch games.

Remember the Phantom? I don't.

Don't stream your games, own the fucking physical media or it will disappear once servers shut down.

The money you wasted on cloud services could've been saved up for a decent gaming laptop anyway
Yeah and my rebuttal to that would be

An absolute gimmick which will never replace local computing power. There are some possible applications, like physics calculating or long-distance rendering, but games are never going to be substantially run from afar, for the simple reason of latency. If you're playing a game on your phone which is actually being run from your PC at home 50 miles away, even a good 20ms ping is going to become noticeable and annoying. If you've ever used the "Share Play" feature on the Ps4 you know how this plays out in practice, even with a top notch internet connection. It's tolerable for a demo (which is effectively what that feature is for), but you would not want to play an entire game like that.

Unless we get some incredible advances in quantum computing that allow us to cheat physics and send calculations around the world instantly, I don't see it ever happening.

also sage for samefag but
That makes no sense. 3G and 4G have comparable speed specifications and often times 3G is faster than 4G because of network congestion (if you can force your device to switch to 3G mode it's often beneficial in crowded areas because most plebs don't know how to do this themselves so 4G gets overcrowded while the 3G networks in that area are freed up)

They're both technology standards, not speed specifications

5G is shit.
Just saying this as someone who actually got to use the stuff.
Even then a lot of what's wrong with 3G/4G speeds is network traffic mismanagment and blasting everyone with highpowered electricity isn't going to fix it.

Also as far as latency goes, 5G is also shit, it can push a lot of data quickly but it can't take a lot of smaller inputs.

5G specifies a decentralized cellular network by allowing each 5G device to work ad hoc with eachother
sure you did Mr. LARPer

kys

Unless the latency issues could be fixed,,playing games would still be pretty hard, more bandwidth doesn't mean less latency. Add to it the disadvantages of wireless connections, the sky high price of mobile data and the varying speeds at which devices can process such data, and you have a recipe for financial disaster.

It just needs types of games that play no different with 2ms or 200ms input delay.

Fuck you

You need to be killed for this.

Don't you remember how in 2010 pics could be huge with horrid quality because people were encoding shit into them? Don't you remember Cornelia?

No, go fuck yourself. This is stupid, you're stupid and this thread is gay.