What are your thoughts on the kirby series?

What are your thoughts on the kirby series?
Good casual fun?
Challenging?
The music's great,you surely can't deny that.

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=-pmKV26q32c
twitter.com/Kirby25thJP/status/952737964160827393
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I always found them really easy and they never stuck with me. I played my first one later in my childhood so maybe that has something to do with it. I played a few more but really nothing stands out. the levels are serviceable, the mechanics are OK but they vary a bit and there's some powers that just plain aren't useful. Not very impressed overall and I wonder how the series has gone on so long and has been so plain so consistently.

I would think,on the basest level of attraction,it's always gonna sell to kids more then anything else.

I mean, that's the point of them right? An entry-level platformer. I just don't know how it can appeal to people here.

bait: the thread

I like the mood, the music, and the visuals of the series.

Ironically that makes it a better "art game" than most of the hamfisted indie "art" games that used to plague the internet, while still remaining a bit fun.

It's a game that I can imagine wanting to speed run, but other than that it's basically Comfy: the Platformer.

if you say so

Can you manage not being a nigger

And so, I have become Hollow.

Kirby is the best game ever made!

Name one bad Kirby game. Just one.

You can't.

What's wrong with Lagunitas IPA?

The unreleased ones. Because I can't play them.

SPOILER THAT SHIT user
Do not lewd the Ribbon, that cupcake is was too precious for this world

Come on,don't incite shitposting.

Triple Deluxe

They're painting, dude. That isn't lewd.

I want to eat her bread shoes.

I wonder what a 3d Kirby game would be like.
I mean there was AirRide, but thats not a true Kirby game.
An actual full-fledged 3d Mario 64-style Kirby game.

They were some of the first games I ever played, and I think they're good games for innocent young children. The consequence of that strength is that they are boring and unchallenging games for anyone in the double digits. More than that, the way HAL rehashes the series puts Game Freak to shame. I have no interest in a series that never changes, content to milk the shekels out of women and parents of young children forever.

Kirby 64 is the high point of the franchise.

(((Oy vey you're being a doity anti-Semite!!! Quick someone call the ADL I'm being gassed six gajillion times by a doity gnatzee right now!!!)))

You sound like a shill trying to pad out a legit post history so you don't get instabanned when you return to shilling the resetera thread.

I will break you to pieces.

It's some of the very few games that I still enjoy anymore, mostly because they're comfy as hell.

Kirby is an anomaly. An honest-to-god anomaly. It’s a 2D platformer on Nintendo consoles that’s had tons of sequels and yet has somehow never become stale, and is in fact one of the only good Nintendo (and gaming in general) franchises left.
It boggles the mind, really. What is it about Kirby that’s so endearing?

They became stale years ago. The biggest problem is that they're too damn slow. Kirby usually feels like he's moving in slow motion, and that he becomes even slower when flying certainly doesn't help. Another problem is that the whole ability concept is very poorly utilized. Many ability are very basic and usually not particularly fun to use, yet you're often forced to use them (which also means abandoning your current ability as you can't carry them around). At many points you have to use a specific ability, or one of a specific set of abilities, which is such a poorly thought out and pointless game mechanic. What it really means is that you're forced to drop the abilities you want and made to use other, typically boring and overly simplistic ones, such as fire or rock. Most of the time when it comes to the items that you have to collect you have to use a power that isn't present in the area, forcing you to replay the level after getting to the end. They also like utterly retarded level design decisions such as forcing the player to pick one of two or three paths that can't be retraced, and then hiding collectibles behind one of them, forcing the player to replay the level if they didn't guess correctly.

The games are also far too easy most of the time, and while they have oddly large difficulty spikes at times, that does nothing to make the easy sections less boring. Really, the whole ability copying thing is poorly used. Most of the time it just forces you to use boring abilities. The fun ones are often rare to see, and when you do get them you're going to be forced to get rid of it within a level at the most so that you can progress or grab that collectible. It would honestly be better off with something like how it worked in Milky Way Wishes or whatever its name was, letting you use powers as you like once you've found them.

Every kirby game past Adventure (sans the Dream Land games) has let you run. Did you really play Revenge of Meta Knight without ever running? Are you fucking mental?
I'm sure there's a few spots in each game where specific abilities are required, but most of the time it's optional. Besides, many obstacles have multiple solutions, like a rope can be cut with sword or cutter.
And all entries from Super Star have expanded greatly upon the moveset, making some abilities in robobot rivaling fighting game movesets
So you haven't played any of the games that let you save the ability in your partner? Because that's the exact solution to your problem.
And even if you didn't have that solution, changing abilities frequently also changes how you interact with the game, instead of just finding one ability that works and only using it (like in the arena mode)
Unless you're talking about Great Cave Offensive (or games like it), the ability is always at most 2 rooms away. Some of the worse levels in 3D and Robobot have problems with this, but that's why they're not as good
Except a shitload of games already do that, especially MegaMan, Sonic, and Castlevania. At least kirby lets you replay the levels
Nigga do you understand what you're typing
Have you tried not picking up collectibles every single time?
Yes, Milky Way Wishes was great, but it's a complete change from the rest of the series, which already had fine game design despite your dumb complaints.

And I agree the series got stale with the past 3 mainline games borrowing heavily from NSMB level design, afraid to change up gameplay and simply improve on what works. People here saying there's no bad kirby game are lying to themselves, since even Robobot (the better of the three) was many magnitudes worse than anything Super Star had to offer

Kirby Planet Robobot is literally the only good game ever made

Would you give Kirby an air ride?

Pozzed trash made for soyboys

Let me guess, never played a Kirby game in your life?

Enjoyable kiddie fun, which is Nintendo's specialty.
Yep.
Nope.
Hell no, I love Kirby music. It really has that great 8-bit manic feel to it along with the other classics like Contra, Jackal, etc.

Had a bunch of good games at first, then Dream Land 3 and Crystal Shards happened and I stopped caring. Now the series does nothing but pander to an imaginary toddler audience that they think is too stupid to be challenged or even enjoy an actual game.

Epic Yarn is trash.

He's talking about the song that you linked. Since it's used like Pepe, they might be dumb enough to think that it's racist.

It's amazing how Kirby music is always distinctly Kirby, despite having various composers over the years. The 8/16-bit Kirby music especially. I could recognize the Gameboy Kirby music after playing just Adventure. The new ones have a different style of music, but still are distinctly Kirby and bloody phenomenal.

It was basically Kirby for girls, where death is not a consequence and it's just meant to be really easy in a normal playthrough, even compared to normal Kirby. It wasn't bad by any means though, just far too easy.

There's having a running feature and then there's making that run feature actually fast. This is part of the reason Crystal Shards sucked–although it has a running feature the pacing was still slow as fuck.

It's meant to be casual fun, the creators were targeting girls as the actual audience at the time of the first kirby?
Hell, even when you are not the target audience, you can't deny sometimes it's good to enjoy a well made casual game

Apparently they started ripping Star Allies music.
this is bretty fucking good

Dream Land 3 is patrician.

Kirby games are the kind of games you play after a long day of work or being really tired. It's an easy series that's designed to put a smile on your face and make you happy. It's not designed to be overly challenging.

I never play Kirby games if I'm looking for a challenge or really wanting to kick some ass. But if I am tired, did a lot of physical activity during the day, or whatever, Kirby games really hit the spot for something to just chill out with and cheer up with.

Kirby when you're tired and just want something cute to make you happy
Mario if you're alright at platformers and just want a good platforming experience
Donkey Kong Country if you want a challenge

Really just depends on the mood. But I think Nintendo intentionally set up their platforming games like that.

Kirby is FUN and CUTE and the games have GOOD MUSIC and GRAPHICS
Like classic sonic to be honestly

Not a burger, are ya?

You are a grill or have autism, maybe both.

I want to love the games but he controls like a bag of shit.

The only people who think Kirby is a shit series are shit people who do not understand objectivity.

They:
>hate Kirby for being a platforming series that continues to release platforming-style games (i.e. "every game is the same!" is not a fucking argument about a platforming series where that is almost literally the objective)

The music is top shelf.
The production direction of every game has been very focused and successful in what it tries to accomplish - Canvas Curse hit the mark for what it wanted to do, as did Epic Yarn, as did Dreamland 2, as did Planet Robobot, as did 64.
The merchandise is great.
The games are FUN.

I'm waiting for my BD of the 25th Anniversary Concert they had in Japan to arrive, should just be a couple weeks now. Going to figure out how to rip/encode with my shiny new BluRay drive, then seed a torrent and maybe a DDL in the share Vola.

Patrician detected.

I've always really loved the Kirby series but I want a talented romhacker and/or Nintendo to release versions of the games that have more teeth. I like hard games and I like Kirby but there's no hard Kirby games, and the few things that are Kirby-like aren't hard either.

64 had the best gimmick.

I agree that it would be fun. Something like Mario Maker but Kirby ported, maybe.

Mostly just intended to illustrate that hating X for not being Y is objectively stupid, and is in most cases what people who say Kirby games are shit are doing.

You mean combining two abilities?
Apparently the new one, Star Allies, will have that as well.

>Published on Sep 25, 2017
Either this is fanmade or there was some website holding Star Allies music that I wasn't aware of. Leaning towards fanmade since gameplay footage of Dedede's boss battle has already come out and it's not your webm related.
hooktube.com/watch?v=-pmKV26q32c

Just your friendly reminder that Crystal Shards is the best in the series

i wanna fug the fairy queen

Kirby is one of my favorite series but Mass Attack wasn't very good.

Probably referring to IPAs in general, since they have a hipster connotation and the effects of phytoestrogen are misunderstood and overblown by Holla Forums. Anything is better than pilsner swill.

Kirby 3D Rumble and Kirby Blowout Blast were pretty good at showing a 3D Kirby game without powers. Kirby Battle Royale was a mediocre attempt at showing a 3D Kirby game with only powers.

I wouldn't say Donkey Kong ever got stale. Also consider that Kirby is made by Hal and has had a variety of directors over the years.

FTFY. We all have autism

I am a little upset they didn't reuse the power combining for squeak squad
the only powers you get to combine are fire/ice/shock + bomb/cut

NORMOPHILES GET OUT

I used to follow the guy who drew that stuff on twitter, but it turns out that he's a massive liberal faggot

Really needs the Get Down music to go with it.

KEY is basically a sidescrolling Traveller Tales LEGO game with Kirby and yarn aesthetics. It has the similar punishment for death is just losing collectables (studs/gems) but is easy to get to the end of level (just with a lower rating).
The Kirby tank transformation segments were pretty good though and was great to see them throughout the game.

I really wanna play this game when it comes out but I can't justify spending money on a console for a few interesting games at best.

Kirby isn't angry in the US box art. What does this mean?

How exactly do you make Kirby hard without cheap deaths? The flight takes out all challenge of falling unless you're a big enough bloke to run into an enemy, you literally have a default attack that can kill most enemies on screen. The only way I can see it is if you take out some of the invincibility frames for a lot of the copy abilities (see: Hammer), but that would fuck up too many player's ideas of how the forms work, harder puzzles which wouldn't affect the main story, or if they gave SSB levels of knockback.

The combining of abilities in star allies is more related to the one in Kirby Squeak Squad as it's more about adding elements to existing abilities rather than mix and matching abilities to get new ones like bomb and cutter or stone and fire.

Truth. Also, embed related. There are a few songs from Kirby's Adventure that still give me a frisson.

I remember these goons doing a let's play of Epic Yarn, and one flipped the fuck out and I guess threw a wiimote, prompting the other to scold him.

Kirby 64 with a speed code is the only good one, everything else is boring. My phone's a piece of shit, so here's a screen cap of the code for this.

He's a frenchfag.

There's no excuse for retardation user

Fairies are inherently lewd

touhoufan pls

Yes. In a world built around breaking me down at every turn, I will always know that Kirby is there to help me though the hard times.
Only the games after Super Star Saga with optional hard modes. I love those games the most.

The game is about the power of friendship defeating darkness, instead of the usual "kirby beats ass simply because the villain looked at him the wrong way"

There are more creative things, like ice/water for creating an icicle shotgun thing, and using psychic to pick up your rock buddy, and ice/rock making a curling stone like in 64, etc.

also this shit is fake. you can hear the real song here. twitter.com/Kirby25thJP/status/952737964160827393

thread theme

whoops wrong thread i must live with this shame forever because it won't let me delete the post

and here's the contrarian trying to fish for (You)s

Should have known the defence force would respond with some strawman bullshit.
Running doesn't make the game fast. It makes Kirby move slightly less slow, and it doesn't change that the rest of the game is fucking slow. So as you said, "are you fucking mental"? Fuck off with your strawman arguments.
Yeah, "optional", as in "you can opt to not do this and have to do it later to get the real ending and/or 100% completion".
Partners are fucking dumb and will get themselves killed more often than not. They die practically instantly against bosses. Partners also don't show up in a whole lot of the games.
Yes, retard, that's what I said in the post. It forces you to use the boring as fuck abilities all the time. Yeah, you're no doubt going to go on about variety, but being forced to do something boring is not good variety.
And conveniently, the level designers really, really love to make it impossible to backtrack to get the abilities (or to backtrack to where you need to use them), meaning you have to replay the level. Also, this brings us back to what I said before: being forced to abandon your current ability. Here's another thing about this that I forgot to mention: sometimes, rarely, the required enemy will be present in the room you need to use it. So logically, you could drop your current ability, grab the needed one while it bounces around, and then switch back once you've used it. But no, you can't, because they included a special "fuck you" by making other ability stars disappear if you gain one.
That other games do something doesn't make it good. Also, unlike Kirby, those games don't frequently hide things behind glorified doors that can only be unlocked with certain keys. In Megaman you can just switch to the required power if you have it and then switch back. There's also the frequency of it too; in Kirby you encounter something requiring a special ability just about every level.
Nigger, learn to read. I'm saying that with how piss easy the games usually are, it's weird for them to have the rare difficulty spikes they do. It's like they can't decide if they games are for casuals (in which case the spikes would probably just anger them) or noncasuals (in which case 99% of the games is too easy).
Yeah, so I would have to do it again to get the true ending and/or 100% completion. What a great idea.
"Your complaints are dumb because I can use strawman arguments and retarded mental gymnastics"

If I was fishing for (you)s, I would have done something much more efficient and not written paragraphs. And if I was fishing for them, why would you give me what you think I want?

Yeah, the last really -great- Kirby game was arguably The Amazing Mirror in 2004, the final one Sakurai was remotely involved in before he washed his hands clean of the series. The following platformers have been decent at best (Return to Dream Land) and mediocre at worst (Squeak Squad). Planet Robobot surprisingly had the best gimmick of the three recent ones and especially defecated all over Triple Deluxe, because you felt in control of the Robobot Armor and still had Copy Ability-esque options for the most part instead of "press button for short cutscene and be amazed." Now they're turning helpers from a cool bonus mechanic to another required gimmick. It's like HAL in the GameCube era was struggling to maintain some semblance of quality control and pick up the pieces after Masahiro Sakurai and Shinichi Shimomura left, and now they 180'd and said "screw it, just release anything semi-annually."

And they have no signs of stopping since they know they can get away with anything after Epic Yarn turned out to be the highest-received entry in the series among cronies - I mean, (((critics))).

It's okay,it's good music.

Almost always fun, occasionally challenging.
I feel like the True Arenas that they've been making lately have been pretty difficult. It took at least a dozen attempts to get through Robobot's, and I ended up having to learn how to use Rock in the process. I had to scum my way through Triple Deluxe's with Archer.

what goes around

Two fucking balls glued to each other, a few lines for limbs and a face is fat shaming, a sin worthy of the death penalty.

HOW FUCKING CASUAL CAN YOU BE

Rolling

Nah, enjoy your screencap code.

This is him, btw.
But I don't really care. He's too wholesome.

So is Kirby technically an alien?

Snail-like movement speed and a shitton of useless combinations?

Uh no, it's the game that basically relegated the series to the dumpster.

What's wrong with her eyes in the 4th image?

More?

In the anime, yes. In the games, no.

Too samey and too easy. I'd like to see a kirby style game made with hardcore challenge in mind where you had to make effective and deliberate use of different abilities in different situations. It could be great.

Wish they'd bring back Adeleine, Ribbon, and Fairy Queen.

What gender even is kirby.

If you knew, would you let it stop you from tenderly pounding that little ball of cute?

Kirby is guy

Bread shoes.

Wheel breaks both arenas, while was dissapoonting

So many forgotten friends.

what is the first picture implying

If I wasn't lazy I'd make a compilation image of all the upset animal friends in Dreamland 3.

pink boys

DAFUQ

I always liked the bomb and fire combo where you exploded into fireworks, that shit was great.

never was too fond of k64, the gameplay was slowed down to accomadate the 3D, and though I like my puzzles, kirby's best when there's a good sence of forward momentum, like in sqeak sqad, superstar, and adventure. Not bad, just not to my tastes

Kirby is shaped like a friend

Why does ChuChu have such a seductive look?