TF2 - what the fuck is this shit

Why does this game run like hot fucking asshole on literally anything? This game ran at 60FPS on my Pentium 4 back in 2009. Why is it then, that my PC with a fucking GTX 770 and a Quad Core CPU can't even run this shit at 60 FPS? This game is over 10 years old. It's not like there are any (real) alternatives.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/xJeebsx/No-Hats-Mod
teamfortress.tv/11394/?page=1#post-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cause dude hats lmao

Source wasn't designed for TF2's hatfest and the overabundance of items is actually slowing the game down.

BRs

also this

Some hats have a higher polygon count than the entirety of the maps.

Are you the guy with uneven ram?

tf2 has serious performance issues because valves source engine is hitting programming bottle necks. it's a well known thing that the game is performing worse over time.

one of the reasons I like vintage.

That being said last time I played TF2 was before the pyromania update and I had a hard time hitting shit without having to resort to soldier because of lag issues

Because your faggot ass probably has a bunch of extraneous visual effects enabled
And every single last one of you retards saying it is hats shut the fuck up. Source has very little actual performance loss with models being loaded in, especially Source multiplayer a lot of what fucks up people's performance in tf2 is offscreen drawing in maps, which for COMP FAGGOT maps. Turn your resolution down a peg and it should run fine.

ALSO FOR FUCKS SAKE, IF YOUR GPU CAN RUN 9/10/11 DON'T FUCKING USE DIRECTX 8.1 YOU FUCKING RETARD

Source only actually uses one or two cores properly, and doesn't have real multicore support. More cores on newer hardware means next to nothing for performance. As far as I know, only Garry's Mod has multicore support through a setting that's still in testing.
Poor model optimization has resulted in many items with high polycounts and no lower LODs. The worst offenders are official weaponry, mostly Festive variants.
An abundance of flashy effects for newer weapon concepts.
Bugs exist that get patched, but the patch gets undone by accident later. When TF2 is being worked on behind the scenes, the staff members wind up working on separate copies of the game. One of them releases a patch to fix a crash bug and improve framerate on pl_buttsniffer. Other staff members release an update with 41 new hats and 2 crates, but oh no! they were on an older version of the game, which is now the released version on your computer! pl_buttsniffer has framedrops again, and you crashed to desktop because you switched from amputator to vita-saw while swinging your weapon inside a locker room on BLU team! Dont worry, the bug gets patched again next month. And then reinstated by accident, alongside 116 comp medals.

When I was more optimistic about Valve, I believed that all this bullshit was a good thing because it meant they were pushing Source to its limits, so that they could make Source 2 into an objectively better engine that does not suffer from some of these issues.
But now I don't believe they're actually working on Source 2.

Because Valve are Jewish hacks and Source is a shitty engine.

Seriously, if you aren't using an iGPU don't fucking use configs, go into options and turn the resolution and anti aliasing down, Texture Quality should be what you hit next, and all else fails hit the actual low for model detail.

What did you expect? They have like what, 5 programmers left on the team? Game is a bloated mess.
If you have a decent gpu than the processor is the bottleneck, not the gpu. Single thread performance is a big factor. I switched to G3258 from q6600 and it helped a lot.
If you want to make it run better you can install a few things. Personally I run a config, dxlevel 81, no hats mod and a mod that disables dust from bullets.
You know, people could organize and run an older build of the game. They could even get rid of steam and change many other things. But they won't.

I play on the lowest settings at 640x480.

Post options tab

Fun fact, you fucking kike: your “fix” didn’t work. I proved that. Automata is guaranteed to crash on PC.

Good joke user, almost had me for a second

Turn off multicore rendering you fucking dummy.

The good times are over, user.
It's time to accept the fact and find another game to love.
Might I recommend Skyrim? I and others on the chess club agree that it's the peak of the role-playing experience!

I have multiple cores. Wouldn't it run worse?

Okay now I know you're just trying to piss me off by pretending to be retarded.

In terms of optimization, graphics, and most visual effects, tf2 has dropped significantly over the years.
Obligatory video.

Why would the option be there if it only makes things worse? It's not vsync.

It's an honest question, stop being a fucking sperg.

I think that the lighting issue was debunked because of the change in the 2013 build of source where the lighting on the old maps got fucked.

I dropped in only to post this. I'm glad it was the first post.

Just spitballing here, how well would you estimate vintage runs compared to vanilla tf2?

I refuse to believe anyone who made their way all the way here is that genuinely stupid.

So answer the question or don't. You're acting like a fucking autistic child.

If you're going to act like a high and mighty cunt, explain to me how it affects performance. I've seen nothing but conflicting posts online about it and it doesn't make sense that turning off multiple CPU optimization would help.

From what we've been told and what I've experienced it works great. The issue with latency is the servers aren't the hottest ones out there but we're running a test on wednesday to see if some tweaked settings improve tickrate and latency

YOU AREN'T USING AN IGPU TO PLAY THE GAME YOU FUCKING RETARD
MULTICORE IS AN IGPU SETTING

Gee you could have said that the first time, cunt. I guess Caps Lock really is cruise control for being a tool.

Do you need a timeout or something? The entire thread you've been throwing a fucking tantrum. Fuck off and calm down.

By the way this game is still an unoptimized piece of shit and there's no excuse for a game from 2007 to run this bad.

'IT'S NOT MY GODDAMN FAULT YOU'RE RETARDED

bait thread

Are you sure you aren't the retard? I've never heard about this on Valve's developer wiki.

Hats.
Just go play TF2V.

It's not my fault you're such an angry child. Go drink some herbal tea, you'll feel better.

This game is agreed upon to be unoptimized across the board.

the game is also agreed upon to be shit any not to be played past 2011. but you wouldnt know that considering you just got off the slow boat from reddit.

I get 60 fps on my 5 year old laptop with integrated graphics
Download an fps config, the way tf2 (and any source game) works is that the higher fps you have, the smoother the game runs. inb4 "no shit retard" but for source games it's more than shit looking smoother, the game actually runs better.
Even on my main rig I run configs to raise fps with some slight tweaks to make skins not look like hot garbage and I get around 300+ fps

If this were true we wouldn't have regular TF2 threads. TF2 was meant to be an ongoing project, and the game we have now is perfectly fine (especially the balance changes we got in the last update.) Muh hat memes is a really bad argument, and lambasting me with the Leddit boogeyman is even more childish as I've never posted on Reddit in my life. If I wanted to play an older version of TF I'd play QWTF or TFC, (which I do regularly anyway.) not a more barebones version of TF2.

yeah whatever reddit-kun

Nice comeback. Here's your (You)

imagine trying so hard to fit in

Yeah, all I have to do is look at your posts.

It's not fine and they keep curtailing to the esports faggots. The classes themselves are no longer reliant on one another thanks to all the weapons, some of them doing things that make other classes useless or less viable.

Except there is one. The community has become a sort of gatekeeper to what content comes in and as everyone here has seen is TF2 has that whacky shit in it because of those in the community at the top.

But it's a good argument because with the advent of trading servers started having people who sat in spawn trying to trade, even after trade servers became a thing. Hats and weapons trading slowed the game, people filling up server slots sitting in spawn trying to get you to fork over your hat because it's something they want.

This is admittedly the wost thing about modern TF2.
This is partially true but I would disagree.
A game's quality is not ruined by it's community. If this were true then CS1.6 is shit because the only people who play it are from Brazil.
Then don't go to those servers. See above.

God I wish someone deleted this aneurysm of a thread already.

Real talk though, A legitimate issue is valve totally nuked all their pubservers to make compfaggots feel better, even QUICKPLAY was a preferable alternative to Matchmaking, and the fact that only valve servers are you allowed to participate in events anymore because b4nny the faggot whined about sourcemod is atrocious.

that and permaban all the reddit-kuns

I've been here since the cripplekike was hosting out of his bedroom and the website was so slow you'd think you were on a Russian imageboard. I remember a time when you could talk about things on imageboards without every little thing getting deflected by the Reddit boogeyman. Everything's become so much of a walled garden that it's no surprise that this medium is slowly dying.

This is THE biggest problem with TF2. It irreversibly fucked up the game's community, and this is coming form someone that for the most part enjoys contemporary TF2.

Medic now is basically useless since most classes can either heal themselves or heal people around them. Most people don't even bother with ubers anymore as a result as shit like the vaccinator is basically that but shittier

Yes, by extension it is.
bad fucking suggestion since 1.6 didn't get shit forced on it. Talking to some peop,le who HAVE gotten their shit into TF2 I can tell you that basically all the shitty outlandish crap getting in the game that originates from the community is the fault of those modelers and mappers at the top of the community circlejerk dictating what gets in ultimately.

The problem is you're retarded. the second issue is I talked about BEFORE the advent of trade servers, when the feature first rolled out. Almost every pub server out there that wasn't minigames had these problems and still do.

The quickplay helped nuke community servers.

your posts say otherwise, reddit-kun

Fuck Meat Your Jew. That just helped ruin everything even more.

It's a little worse than it used to be but Medic is my 2nd most used class and everyone still cries out for me.

Using the same ad-hominem attack over and over again makes you look like an ass user. Nobody started this bullshit with the Reddit boogeyman in every single fucking thread until around 2011, and it's only gotten worse since then. If you hate Reddit behavior so much, then why don't you contribute something to the thread?

How about permaban all the thread shitters like you and 6b52b6 and 659645

Quickplay at the very least helped cull the retards who are too retarded to use a server browser but not too retarded to play from getting into the better servers.
At the very least in this day and age the quickplay system kind of helps the "people now are too retarded to use a server browser so we'll give them a very simplified one that is basically impossible to fuck up using"
Even if Quickplay had been missing modes forever, and like a week after managing to get those modes finally added (despite there being valve servers for these modes) it all got nuked for the matchmaking system which is
1. Constantly missing maps
2. Prone to stacking the fuck out of the teams
3. Has the potential to be used abusively to target newer players to railroad them into the mann co store
4. Is just an overall objectively worse way to find a casual match of TF2

this, everywhere else says the setting is related to multicore cpus
what kind of moron even associates integrated graphics with having cores

A sad but true reality. I miss the pub servers. TF2 used to be a really ocmfy thing where you could jsut hop in a server and spend all day hanging out while playing the game. You could have long conversations that spanned multiple maps, and you could enjoy the atmosphere of a traditional server selected from a server browser. TF2 really was the last of it's kind.

Checked. And the son of a bitch user autistically sperged all over this thread about this shit while telling people to go back to Reddit in every post.

Like I said in that thread, you are a nigger who doesn't know how computers work.

thread so gay nobody will see me post

FUNNY MONKEY

Then again, no one plays Medics..except Comps, I guess. Nowadays I see lots of Demos,Pyros, Engies and Snipers. Very rarely I've seen someone run a Medic and even then dude's healing folks with the crossbow than the Medigun.

but niggesr are related to monkeys and that means he's a

FUNNY MONKEY

OH MY GOD

Oh yeah..can we just add a timer to CTF? Once got stuck in a 4 hour CTF match because no one managed to grab ONE intel..and we were tied 2 to 2.

It's already a map/server option.

From a class standpoint medic has been largely made redundant with things like mad milk and self help solly launcher.

One of the reasons why I do try to shill vintage is because it is different, while the end goal for those anons is pre-mannconomy weapon selection as it is right now with stock it's interesting. the classes matter and with the wide range of skill level across all the anons things like even a single medic tend to make or break it.

I never understood that shit, for medieval mode it works, but you can't heal for shit

Crossbow users want to be Battle Medic but they also want to heal…and they don't want to use the Blutsauger for some reason.

It's mostly because youtubers tell them everything else is bad, kind of like how Uncle "Literally nobody has any reason to take the ammo pack when I the 125 hp martini glass who can't aim a shotgun well enough to consistently put out at least 30 damage so the widowmaker is a downgrade" Dane says the heavy should have an item dedicated to carrying ammo to team mates because he has a sandwich that he can choose to give to team mates.

And this is even disregarding why an "Amoo Sandvich" for the heavy would be a shitty item.

Actually, an Ammo version of the Sandvich would've been good for the Heavy…why isn't Valve implementing this? Pretty sure I've seen one of those concepts kicking around Youtube the other day.

Alright this shouldn't be hard to explain.
What's the difference between 200 ammo and 300 health?

100 memes

No the answer is
200 Ammo doesn't stop a rocket from making you drop it

Fair point.

As someone who mained engy for years Dane is a faggot who is literally the type of engy that never left his nest to either poke

fuck off to reddit nigger, you ain't welcome here

How about you contribute to the thread you double nigger?

Source doesn't even have any sort of culling so your argument about too much shit being loaded in is invalid.

TF2 is pushing Source to its limits and years of management in the modding community just mean that there are now assets in the game that, when combined, completely go past Source's optimum.

Meant to say mismanagement, yikes.

Does TF2 still run in 32-bit mode? Valve could move it over to a 64-bit implementation of Source and actually allow it access to more RAM than 3GBs but it would break compatibility with the thousands of Slav shitbox PCs from the early 2000s no doubt

As a mapper, there aren't words for how badly I want to strangle you right now.

This entire thread you've sperged hard, so I don't for a second believe you're anything other than a mapper, because they and furries are the only people in the TF2 community who act like this.

Other thing worth pointing out, is that some of the items and characters get their polygon counters decrease on depending which distance you're far.

i use an ati radeon hd 5870 with intel i7 870. thats around release tier, i still get 150 fps (75 hz monitor). use directx8 and turn off hats github.com/xJeebsx/No-Hats-Mod
i also turn down models and use a lower resolution but regardless i know for a fact i could still get 60 fps even maxed out on dx9, maybe your cpu is shittier than my first gen i7?

if you have a hard time hitting shit, SERIOUSLY, fuck with your cl_interp. basically it controls the visual aspect of attacking, it makes weapons feel more responsive which surprisingly makes a big difference. i have per class cl_interp (set using classname.cfg files in the cfg folder), use cl_interp 0.0152 for projectile and cl_interp 0.033. next in general for all classes, these numbers have to do with packets sent out (just throw it in autoexec)
rate 100000
cl_cmdrate 100
cl_updaterate 100
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_smooth 0

this shit should be default, its night and day on new installs for me. dont fall for meme interpolation like putting fucking 0 or pi or whatever else, read this if you want to understand why
teamfortress.tv/11394/?page=1#post-8

actually rereading the page, post number 8, it looks more like you want specific interp_ratios for hitscan and projectile and 0.0303 instead of 0.033 for hitscan

post it in the vintage thread man. Another issue is the server hardware the servers are run on aren't all that hot. when the mod first started we had a good server running, but it was being paid for out of pocket by the host user running it

I also cross linked your post in the vintage thread as a precaution, but please post it there as well

YOU SICK FUCK!

except when the game came out 10+ years ago there was no such thing as graphics rendering on a cpu, so why would they put in a setting that depends on technology that's still a few years away from existing?
tl;dr you're too retarded to comment on anything more technical than an iphone

whats herbal tea

Gay.

Boy I haven't played in a while. The game just kept running worse and worse to the point I lost interest. I did come back for the 'meet your match update but the competitive play was full of hackers and people that would leave if they were losing. Uninstalled after that.

It physically hurts that MyM just made it more awful to tolerate.
All good things must come to an end user. Nothing lasts forever

The Chinese and Russians have also ruined TF2, you can't go 1 game without running into them.
To spite them, I put 100 crates in 100 giftapults and release them all during Chinese/Russian primetime. I've done this every week for 4 weeks now. If any Australians anons got caught by friendly fire, I apologize.

They deserve it just as much, user. They're as bad as canadians.