Good games, what are they?

What is considered a good game?

Is it a game that presents an interesting story to the player?
Is it a game that allows the players to be creative in the way they approach the situations they are presented with?
Is it a game that requires a lot of effort to learn and master it's every intricacy and quirk with a high skill ceiling?
Is it a game that has unique mechanics that in turn create tense situations for players to overcome?

What a generic question. A good game is one that achieves its goals without insulting the player. A game's quality is not dependent on its difficulty, genre or complexity.

Good game is the game you like to play any day.

Sort of tangential, but I hate Holla Forums's absurd standards for what a "good" game is.

"Good" should not be a high bar. That's what the distinction "Great" or "Amazing" is for. The majority of games that have come out in the past 2 decades probably qualify for "good".

Want to know how I know that you're from Holla Forums?

The opposite of a bad game.

Game which is better than others released at the same time. For newest games.
Game to which people return to play it again. For older games.
No.
Yes.
Depends on game genre.
No, but unique mechanics are always welcome.

Insulting the player's intelligence, is that hard to grasp? Did you actually think I give a shit about muh feelings?

Good games are good. If you have to ask then you probably enjoy AAA shit.

I know what I consider good games. I'm interested in what Holla Forums considers to be a good game, since I've noticed a big influx of cancerous opinions on the matter here.

Shouldn't you know already? Who the fuck are you?

Name some so i can have a constructive conversation with you

Kill yourself with your datamining.

A good game is the sort of thing that you see pictures or videos of and are immediately thrown into the fun of it just by looking at it, then you go buy it or pirate it, ten-to-twenty minutes later you're completely invested in the game/story/world/multiplayer even if you end up losing big time, so it just drives you to keep on playing to improve your skills or to see it to the end. Even in ten year's time, when most of the people would have given up on the series, you still feel that slight sense of longing, you just wanted another turn or just another multiplayer match to brag about your scores or to grief on the weaksauce players.
In other words, a game is only as good as how much you miss being able to play it once it's past its heydays.

A good game should have a solid gameplay loop, good presentation and a good feeling of progress.
By gameplay loop I mean the thing you're going to be doing during the entire game. For example in Doom you're going to be: Entering a room, killing demons, look for supplies and secrets, repeat.
By presentation I mean not only GRAFFIX but also artstyle, sound design, plot and atmosphere and maybe stuff I forgot
And a sense of progress means the capacity for the game to change and keep itself fresh and entertaining during it's entirety.
Now, since videogames are multimedia entertainment sometimes one can make up for the other in certain ways.

Clearly a shill CIAnigger, because no one else would think of trying to make an interesting videogame discussion in this board. I know, maybe I can finally talk videogames with someone in here.

only one of the games you've mentioned was good and that's tiberium sun, others are garbage

One that you enjoy playing. That's it.

I keep seeing shit opinions being spouted, or people simply calling good games shit for the heck of it, or because they're actual retards, so I decided to make a thread to find out where do these shit opinions like
stem from. What sort of thought process causes them.

Stop trying to play psychologist you glow in the dark nigger.

A good game is eternal. A game not aging well is a clue that it was a bad game.

They're shitposting.

What's wrong with insulting the player's intelligence? Sometimes its necessary, especially when the player is arrogant in their approach of the game

Facts are not relative, jew. Facts are facts, they are objective and the objective facts are your games in your pic suck dick with exception of tiberium sun.

A game that was done passionately.

This.

People like are absolutely right in telling others their tastes are shit, because they're hobbyists. Even if they only ever have had a single good game in their lives, they fight tooth and nail to stop those with terrible tastes from tainting their precious hobby. They're kind of a gatekeeper force to stop people who only have a passive liking of vidya from thinking they're hot shit and forcing them to question their favorites just so they fit in. Or you can just ignore them and discuss about vidya you like, no one stops you from doing that but your ability to discern criticism from peer pressure.

A game that is fun to play, has smooth and responsive animations/controls, challenging enemies, smart A.I, great level design, interesting original story, well-written characters and a beautiful art design.

Subhumans will tell you that these standards are "absurd" and that these games "can't exist". Fuck them.

A game you can keep playing after beating it and any self made challenges for yourself.

simply put, a good game is one where if you'd try to change a single thing in the base formula, the game would fall apart because of how tightly designed it is and how mechanics completely work in tandem with eachother, where changing things would result in a worse game or a game that's no longer even the same, meaning there's only room left for adding more content to the game (and how much content is enough content will vary from person to person)

If a game answers yes to any of those questions, then it probably qualifies as good. You're basically asking "What is good?" when you're really the only one who can determine that quality for yourself.

Even if a game wasn't enjoyable in play, maybe you might've still taken something from it instead. If that something is an appreciation of the game's level design, emotional involvement with the characters, or even something as simple "Not To Do When Making Games" then that alone is worthwhile and cherish-able.

Games that I like.

Question: what is a good game?
Answer: a good game is one used to fuel your community cred without fear of reprisal. Typically because the game is so old that everyone praises it, but hasn't actually played much of it. Communities decide what they value the most, and both imageboards and reddit share an interest in societal ranking.

Not really. I play CS:GO everyday, but even I recognize that's a shitty game.
You can be addicted to crap.

Games I like > shit > games you like

If I had to give one criteria, it would be the game that makes you ENGAGE. A good story can do it. Characters that you attach to can do it. Choices that matter can do it. Difficulty can also do it but the game around it still needs to be good.

A game that puts a smile on your face.

There will always be that one hipster contrarian that shits on it for no reason other than to feel special and unique and different and to collect (you)'s.

Good games have never tried to please everyone. Trying to please everyone and trying not to offend people won't get you anywhere. You need to do your own thing without compromise if it is central to what you're trying to achieve. For instance, the Japanese just don't give a fuck about our western "modest sensibilities" and that is why their games are so great and refreshing. Putting passion and creativity into your work, giving it a good polish and sharing that with others is the greatest thing you can do in a video game.

There is no checklist for a good game. A "checklist game" (e.g. Overwatch) that pleases the lowest common denominator, while entertaining, will always fall second to a game that has true vision and the means to achieve it (e.g. Bayonetta) due to it's limited depth. That is why this industry will fail; there is no room left for creativity, Everything needs to be a checklist and the people who know the least about video games are dictating how they should be made. You cannot fabricate a "good game" with checklists anymore than you can define the soul; it just happens and it is.

You made this thread to datamine, right? Take this information to your taskmasters and make them sweat.

Good games are the ones like pic related that can make you play them for hours without needing to use fancy graphics or a complex history (a good history is always good but not the essential) you know games that try to focus just in the gameplay (as it always should be)

A good game would have a little of this three things.

A good game is a game not made by the company that YOU work for.

A servicable story that doesn't break its own rules in cutscenes
example
or
more popular
yes
Tied to your previous, like Hitman '16

it's fun

an oxymoron
I have no idea what oxymoron means, but it sounds cool, and video games are cool, therefore video games are oxymoron

Why is this thread still up?

I've been playing StarDew and Resident Evil 3, both of which had me staying up several hours too late and drag ass at work the next day, because I was genuinely having fun.

Pic semi-related. I was drunk when I started the game, so I'm wondering if there's some kind of information I put in that the game references later. I don't remember making my farm girl an insatiable cock whore, but this is a thing that happened.

gamejourno go and stay go

You're thinking that "insulting the player's intelligence" means punishing them. EG "wow, are you seriously going to try and take that giant monster head on with nothing but a broken sword when there is an escape route available and a note on the ground telling you to run for it? OK, guess you're going to die over and over again." That's fine game design. What that user meant by "insulting the player's intelligence" is making it patronizingly easy or overexplaining everything.

It's what you put down as your favorite thing during chargen and a reference to Earthbound. Even though its the second most referenced thing for journalists and indie games after Dark Souls, it hasn't gained the cultural stigma for quoting that it should.

why did it take this long for someone to call you out on posting such obvious bait?

a good game can at least be defined as this user, and we can ALL agree upon this:

a good game is not a bad game

/thread