Cortex Command Free on Steam

store.steampowered.com/app/209670/Cortex_Command/

Don't really know much about this game besides some friendly user recommending me the game around a year ago. guess I have no excuse to try it out, now.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com//eula/300260_eula_0
forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19719
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I has some pretty nifty mods.

Any recommendations?

Man, I haven't played this game in ages. Did they even update it at all?

crab bomb is best bomb

Official support for the game was dropped ages ago. The devs moved on to a similar physics based game called Planetoids or something like that.

It's basically the same as it was at the height of its popularity.

All the classics.
Alteisen Arsenal Labs
Crobotech
The, uh… the blue and black ninja samurai guys.
Just look around the Datarealms forums and download whatever strikes your fancy.

Never forget.

The fuck? Did he finally give up on this thing? Now he just needs to open source it so other people can do what he failed to do.

He's giving it out for free this weekend only, to advertise his new game.
Data gave up on Cortex Command long ago.

This game was always depressingly boring to me. It's a shame because it looks like it could be fun if the dev added actual content.

Does he plan on wasting another decade to make a half finished game?

Why did he give up though. What was it missing?

he already had the money, so he said "fuck it" and moved to another early access scam that he will milk and leave unfinished.

Check the year on the image in
Planetoid Pioneers has been in the works in some form since '07.

I think he intends to license out the physics engine he made for Planetoid Pioneers, Crush 2D.

Content. Instead of a campaign of a series of handmade missions, of which the giant crab mission was supposed to be one of the first, the campaign we got is just a bunch of AI skirmishes strung together with a Risk-style overmap.

40K. Always 40K.

Guess I was right then. I don't get why people keep giving that guy money.

fuck, submitted the last post before i meant to

Most factions are also missing landing craft of their own, there's Tradestar dropships, rockets mk. 1 and 2, Dummy dropship and rocklet, all Coalition gets is a fucking crate, everyone else just has to use generic Tradestar craft.
There's a boxy coalition crab walker in the intro that was never in the game although there've been mods to add it in and coalition does get a gay-looking gatling and SAM drone. I'd have liked it if every faction had their own iconic landing craft and crab walkers.
Speaking of the intro, there's also no gas mask space pope or gas mask space pope army and no trace of any of the aliens mankind has supposedly met. No Techion brain mech, either.

Because it's a neat game. It's a fun game. It's just fucking frustrating.

I looked it up and jesus christ it looks exactly like Cortext Command.

Oh…

honestly I'm disappointed by just how inept devs were with Cortex Command, they should've finished the game multiple times over and they still didn't

Fucking dogshit controls.
I'm not gonna defend it just because it's free.

What's wrong with them?

I think at one point, the creator actually hired a modder to finish the game because he wasn't able to.
I miss when friendly fire and jetpack boosting was still a thing, it made the game more fun.

FUCK OFF ALL OF YOU. NONE OF YOU ARE ALLOWED TO PLAY THIS. YOU AREN'T COOL ENOUGH! GET LOST NOW!

They're just terrible. Movement is slow as molasses, characters tumble over like retards if someone looks at them wrong, the jetpack, on top of being completely useless unless you're not carrying anything on you, gets you stuck on things (sometimes even the fucking ground itself) and so many other counter-intuitive things. I have no qualms with difficulty but when a game makes me play as a disabled lemming with down's syndrome then we have a fucking problem.

So I would right to assume that Planetoid Pioneers has not lived up to anything shown in that amazing image?

is that art from "androidarts"?
That fucker makes very cool stuff, i liked his LEGO doodles

No one has actually said anything about what it is. What the goal of the game? What do you do? If it's fun what makes it that way? Is this the dark souls of terrarialikes?
sorry i couldn't resist going for the most cancerous question i could think of there

it was fun killing everything, and shutting at two-engine shuttles to watch em crash and kill enemies on the ground, also

It's a half assed RTS where you can control your units directly. The standard goal is to destroy the enemy command unit (generally a brain, hence the name) while protecting your own. You can order units and weapons from a station in orbit with gold mined from the map itself.
During campaign mode you play as a prospector scouting different sites on the planet for gold. Each turn you select sites to explore and claim. You can preplace units and structures on owned maps if you have the cash, but going broke forces you to sell a brain. Players who lose all their brains either by selling or through combat lose the campaign. Oh yeah, new sites appear as the campaign progresses.

The fun in the game comes from the incredibly wonky/shit physics engine which frecuently leads to hilarious shit. Shoot an engine off a dropship and watch it barrel roll into the ground and crush enemy units. Send a rocket with several dozen crabs and crash it into the enemy, the inmense pressure from so much mass in such a tight space will send crab bits at supersonic speeds and murder anything not behind a wall. Weapon broke? Use your rocket pack to send your unit crashing into the enemy, you might behead or crush someone. Unit too heavy? Blow off the legs for faster jetpacking.
Also a metric fuckton of quality mods that add weapons and factions into the game, as well as some truly crazy people who exploit the physics to create some broken but fun weapons and stuff.
The game allows for local multiplayer. I have no idea if they ever added online play. It's one of those games that is wasted potential but still has some fun in there. It's not what I would call a good game though. It lacks polish as well as content in my opinion.

Oh yeah, campaign mode isn't a proper singleplayer campaign, it's just a risk style game that can be played with AI or people.
Sage for double postan.

The physics was the best part of the game, the second best part being the mods.
Did you know the jetpack does a tiny bit of damage if you use it while close enough to something? Carefully aimed jetpack blasts can kill someone if you hit them in the head, and if you're really good you can kill entire armies using an unarmed dummy bot.

I remember from another thread some time ago that some user was making an E.Y.E. faction mod, I kinda wanted to see it completed.

FOURTEEN YEARS
EARLY ACCESS

AHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA
No.

It was removed some time ago.

Another fun thing removed by the dev. If he spent more time adding content and less time removing fun from his game, Cortex Command would be a full game.

>(((free)))

Good goy

He should just release the source code and let autism do its thing. The HUE faggots not doing anything with Kerbal should do the same.

he easily could've made a lot of money if he made CC open sores and let the modders finish the game for him

He did let a modder finish the game for him, that's the funniest part.

Thanks OP. I got it on my list.
Probably will never play it though. but hey, if you're ever completely bored there's something there to play

it's quite good for dicking around with friend(s) and playing modded game when drunk. actual campaign or longer/harder brainless bunker breaches would make it useful for playing normally, but >14 years of ea and still not finished

It would've been better if pathfinding for the AI didn't get stuck on shit, it would've been amazing if you could set up a reinforcement bay for your craft to land in where you can automatically tell the AI to go to x position without them stumbling on some fucking stairs for all eternity.

Did they ever fix the mspaint-tier bunker "building" interface? Because it's really just the epitome of a "concept game" and the creator is barely a step above an ideas guy for all he actually finishes.

This game feels like terraria and worms mixed into one but somehow the brain of the ai got lost and now you have a game where you can command retards.

I like the hueg pack one with retarded shit like pirate guns and cannons. It has some extremely overpowered stuff in it.

store.steampowered.com//eula/300260_eula_0

PAID MODS

Their new game looks like dogshit.
I enjoy Cortex Command a lot. Was it really that hard to just make a campaign out of it?

I played it first about ten years ago. Remarkable how it hasn't changed at all really.

Fucking hell, the kikery of this dude.

Games looks neat but the controls make it fucking unplayable. Everything feels stiff and floaty at the same time. Just feels terrible. Good concept though.

That's a good way of putting it

It was really hard for devs not to be shit

It's an interesting game. Lots of wasted potential but interesting.

What are some good workshop mods? I just found out there's a fucking Gundam mod.

Its so sad how the general sentiment about this game is "had potential 10 years ago and now it hasnt moved a single step forward ever since"
Also its hilarious how the EULA of his new game mentioneds mods the way it does, when the only reason Cortex Command survived for so long in development hell was thanks to the modding comunity that kept it alive while the dev did fuck all for 10 years,
Hell, if i remember right Data was on the verge of being homeless years back and only bounced out of it thanks to the sales of CC from a humble bundle, when the only thing keeping the game alive were mods. And THEN he has the guts to say that he doesnt owe anything to the comunity when talking about how his updates break mods all the fucking time. Now he wants to keep ownership and maybe even profit off mods?
Does he hate modders so much even thou thats the only thing he has going in his games? It also took him like 2 whole years to add workshop support to CC on steam, you needed to go to the DEAD forums of the game to find them.
Whats his fucking problem?

Infact it's taken a few steps back. Friendly fire was a shitload of fun and I'm not sure what they nerfed specifically but it feels like bodies have less gibs and particles than before. The map can't fill up with the dead corpses of dropships anymore and jetpacks are no longer lethal weapons.

It feels like dropships in general also have less parts to them, I remember in the beginning if a dropship explodes in the atmosphere the entire map is carpet bombed with shrapnel that annihilates all organics. Primarily the bay doors were fun.

Untitled, SAW, Unmapped Lands, Void Wanderers, 40k, hueg pack o mods

Probably because the game glitched HARD on release, and it was because of the huge amount of objects and particles on the map.
There were a LOT of terrible bugs and glitches on release actually. Some off the top of my head:
There was probably a lot more but thats what i remember right now. Many of these issues caused by "too many entities on the map" werent even present on earlier releases so who fucking knowswhat happened

Yeah I think they removed a lot of entities. A noticeable number. Then dumbed down the game by removing friendly fire and dropship particles.

iirc if you spawn too many actors the game kills ones spawned earlier, it's why crab bomb works
the fact that physics works from beginning and thus unability to save/load bases is very off-putting, and it was never fixed.
all maps have descriptions now, but mod maps need their own descriptions
it's a bit better now, but loading is still long with mods and game eventually slows down.

maybe game glitched hard, but that was part of the fun
also data is a nigger for never ever adding online multiplayer, even if only for 4 players

The best thing about this game was patched out quite some time ago.
Rapidly tapping the ships' and rockets' boosters and the jetpack allowed you to get much more velocity out of them, granting vastly improved maneuverability. This allowed you to effortlessly swoop a madly spinning rocket an inch above the ground, whacking any troops in the head even on the roughest of terrain, even in the case of damaged rockets. The slightly angled side thrusters on rockets meant you had some lateral movement options as well.
By carefully timing your tapping, you could also maintain control over the trajectory of a soldier who's otherwise stuck in an uncontrollable spin.

Pic not too related. Sort of like this, except with several revolutions per second and completely avoiding the terrain.

I there an online multiplayer mod out somewhere? This game looks like it would be a blast to play with Holla Forums with.

why do you think game's dev is so hated? the closest you'll ever get is sharing a screen and it's not a good idea at all.
there supposedly was an online multiplayer mod forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19719 , but I doubt it'll run with current build.

Online multiplayer was the most requested feature. Dev said it was impossible because physics online hard. Hell, i think people would have been just happy if the game had working online with disabled terrain physics, except for digging holes with explosives Worms style.
One time he posted a youtube video teasin online multiplayer being added. For april fools. Because joking about something your entire playerbase wants is funny. Noone laughed
It only has same computer splitscreen which is goddamn awful for how zoomed in the game is.

goofy physics when online would only make this better, not worse

I dont think the issue was goofy physics but straight up complete desync on terrain. Goofy physics was the fun part of the game after all

who gives a fuck about terrain

Brilliant

it worked for FromSoftware

Terrain was what the entire game was built around. It would also desync actors I assume which is worse than just a terrain desync.

FromSoftware made hundreds of game even before DS2.

well shit

That's his point, they made Shadow Tower and then like 4 Kings Field games and none of them sold well outside of Japan (and I don't even know what the sales were like there) until they made Demons Souls.

And when people die, their bodies become part of the terrain. Same if a ship dies too.
Cortex command may be the best 2d game engine ever made. It just needs an actual game in it, better controls and a better UI.

The fun part is that they advertise PP as a game engine as well…

From the looks of it, it suffers all the same problems as Cortex command, except it'll have paid mods.
This "game" will fail drastically unless steamcucks are willing to pay for mods because the dev is "indie".

So no multiplayer in PP either?

It looks similar to the Cortex command engine. Short answer is "no". Long answer is that you need a much more powerful computer and internet that can travel faster than light.

After looking up videos, it seems they took out the terrain system although everything else is mostly the same.
It's possible multiplayer can be done for this game since the terrain system was what blocked it originally.

Planetoid Pioneers just released, apparently the free Cortex Command was to advertise for that but that doesn't seem to have worked very well since I knew CC was free but had no idea Planetoid was releasing.
From this thread it seems like it's pretty much the same deal as CC : good concept and an engine with a great potential but the dev does jack shit with it. What a shame.

Except PP actually comes with a game. Not really sure if it's really good, though. I feel like until I get grapple gun and/or some fun vehicles it's going to be tiresome exploration with irritating puzzles that require you to be precise (hint: you can't walk in this game).

((()))

I can't believe no one has mentioned number 6, aka "we can revoke your game access if you're too mean to people." This is a game with no online multiplayer.