Games are too long

How many games do you guys typically play at one time? I try to not have more than 3 going at any time but games are so needlessly padded and overlong these days.

I'm 40 hours into Horizon Zero Dawn and its pretty alright but fuck I want to take a break, but I know if I do I might never come back. Just finished Dino Crisis 2 for the first time (great fun, replayable, and short thankfully) so that opens one slot up.

I was thinking, imagine how much better Horizon would be if you didn't have to waste time collecting flowers and raiding bandit camps (literal, actual, bandit camps) and all this crap. If it was just an action packet straight shot like Vanquish (one of my top games of last generation) or something with all the cutscenes strung together instead of extended Ubisoft checklist segments and robotalking WRPG garbage breaking up the good times.

I've always been of the opinion a lot of games today are padded out to feel like "better deals" but nobody seems to agree with me and instead demand a "$ per hr" return, like more shit makes it better or something. Its an art piece not an appliance.

Anyone here agree?

Good thread

You PAID for one of the most pozzed games ever made?

Fuck off cuckchan.

Fish memory or a complete reactionist.
Probably both

Zero because all games suck

Arcade and arcade-inspired games are what I spend roughly 80% of my vidya time on today. I absolutely agree. In fact, I sometimes criticize some of these games directly for being too long. Metal Slug 3 and Sin and Punishment 2 are good examples. Sin and Punishment 2 is trying really hard to be an arcade action experience but it is way too fucking long to actually enjoy as a single-credit experience.

Get the fuck out of here. This place isn't for normalfags who have to balance games, work, and social life.

you fucked up

No they aren't
Fuck off cuckchanner

The game's not too long, it's just shit and that's why you're getting "burnt out" on it. Short games can be good, but just because a game is long and shitty doesn't mean it would be better if it's short. You're essentially saying, "Wouldn't it be good if Horizon: Zero Dawn cut out all the bad parts and kept the good ones?" It's a game with predominantly shit content, therefore it's just shit.

Also, as a supplement to that, if a short game has good content there isn't really any reason why it wouldn't be plain better if it had more of that same level of quality content. Hence why expansion content sells.

Short games work well when they have a nice pick up and play quality to them. There's a lot of games that need length, RPG's and the like, or else they'd be short and uninteresting. Story-driven games need time to get the player invested, except most AAA story-driven games do this in the dumbest way possible by padding games out with filler content and repetitive gameplay. Not to mention the writing sucks and the player choices don't matter of course.

Vanquish is a good example of a short game done right. The mechanics are fast and furious, it leaves room for player improvement, encourages multiple playthroughs, overall hammy story and cinematics that don't get in the way, and of course can be beaten in an afternoon. Also the credits sequence was dope; you could really tell the devs had fun making the game.

rest of the thread says everything for me, check 'em

This reads like a Kotaku article. Check em', then consider suicide.

I love long games. It gives me the most bang for my buck when I have games with tons of content.

An RPG with a story of 60 hours with 20 hours of side content is way more worth it to me than an FPS that's 12 hours with almost 0 hours of side content.

It's also pretty good for my budget too. I don't finish games and then move on to another as fast as possible. If there's lots of stuff to do and whatnot, I can indulge in a single game as long as possible.

Though this only works if the game keeps you engaged. Games like GTA V and Horizon are boring and you get burnt out quickly. GTA V especially has no incentive to do anything (you don't get rewarded for missions, and if you do it's a paltry sum of money that you don't need because there's nothing worth spending the money on) but has a lot of stuff to do. Because you don't get rewarded and there's nothing to buy, there's no sense of progression. By the end of the main story you can sit yourself on top of billions of dollars and have nothing to show for it aside from some cars and the number.

I think that's your problem there buddy
in all reality if you have the time to go apeshit on it now you will have the time later, just play something else and come back. They only drawback may be forgetting mechanics but it'll come back soon

What the fuck is wrong with you? Seek psychiatric help your taste in games is abnormal.

Isn't every of the seven stages around 20 minutes long or so? I don't think it's really meant to be played on one credit.

strike one
strike Two
there's 3. You're not even worth the (You)s you're getting ITT.

Try the fucking avernum series, that shit is way too long even if you know what you're doing. Would take an absurd amount of time to figure out where you're supposed to go without a walkthrough.

can we get this thread back on topic, I am interested.
I have bills and am married with responsibilities, it much time to pour into games anymore.
I want to know some short sweet games that are worth my money and time.

No, this topic is fucking retarded as there are plenty of good short and long games.
Even with IRL responsibilities you can finish long games by taking your time.
OP is a (1) and done cuckchanner

Now go play Furi and Max Payne and swhut the fuck up.

kek
You're right though this is a shit thread.

nice dubs thread op

Not your fucking blog fuck off nigger

What I dread the most are not long games but open games with no ending. Those are the bigger enemy to tye backlog. Things like Doom and Stalker. I love them but there is no end to them.

What the fuck?

Doom II 1994. Try to finish all the amazing mods and maps out there..

It amazes it me that people are still making gigantic overhauls to New Vegas. Maybe if Bethesda didn't keep dumbing down their modding tools we could see good Fallout 4 mods

this is a game for you lad!

I though Sonic Boom was shorter?

There's this strange mentality people have now, that you have to finish a game. Why? There are lots of good games from the old days that I never finished because they were fucking hard. I still enjoyed my time with them.
In the end this all comes down to the cinemafication of video games. You wouldn't walk out half way through a movie. You have to stay and see how it ends.

Sonic Boom had an average completion time of ~6-7 hours. Sonic Forces can be completed in under 2.

Just go play some phone games that way you can have more time for your dick sucking sessions

I got this game in the Summer Sale of 2012. I still haven't tried it once because I know it needs 800hours..

op is a faggot

Nigger no you don't. If a movie is wasting your time you have every right to walk out on it, because time is the most finite resource ever, and I'd rather waste it on something enjoy than watch a shitty movie.

Used to always just be one at a time with no exception, but in the past few years since I've started hating vidya for the most part I struggle to ever complete anything anymore and will play several at a time, which ends up with me dropping many games. So few new games manage to hold my interest long enough for me to even make it halfway through.

dubs check em

Erry time.

I don't think he is necessarily saying that games should be shortened, but rather the tedious gameplay made better or removed. If you can't make resource harvesting fun on it's own and it feels like tedium, you're doing something wrong. Another example is padding out a game with long fucking hallways for no other reason than to make the game seem longer, or making scenes unskippable and having mandatory "walkie-talkie" sections. It is a common problem and the casuals lapping it up don't realize they are being manipulated, right up until they finish the game and realize they don't want to replay it ever and stick it on their shelf to gather dust. You tried OP, but try proofreading your posts some more.

There is no greater proof than this to determine if a game is shit or not.

shit thread

It sounds like the problem isn't length, but bad padding. A lot of current year games seem to make you do busywork to pad out the game, without bothering to make the padding actually fun.

I'd rather have a 20+ hour long game that's consistently enjoyable from beginning to end. If it's short, it should at least be replayable. But both of those kinds of games are rare nowadays.

My issue isn't when games when games are too long, its when the length feels artificial. Like says, needless padding makes games like pic related a dread on second playthroughs.

I read that as "fireem blem" and now I can't stop laughing

Completely unrelated question:

Can I use a US Xbox One X (110V) in Australia (240V)?

I know the original Xbones had a power brick, but the new ones use a "jug cord" so will it fry it if I take it on holidays?

I was going to make a serious post and then realized he's a one and done faggot. Shit thread.