The Community Problem

Many of us here have a lot of experience with multiplayer games. Whether it be through an MMO, an FPS, or a Co-op game, we are going to be in contact with some or many strangers who could very well be halfway across the world from your own location. This poses a lot of questions, such as the following: Who are these people? Do they have the same mental capacity to play the game as I do? Are they going to be fun to play with?
Unfortunately, the answer to those questions isn't always the same. As someone who has played multiplayer games for a little over a decade, I can attest to the claim that there is a notable drop in community quality. Without going too far into details and theories, I believe it all began around 2007 or 2008 when the world became a lot more connected thanks to social media websites like twitter and facebook becoming streamlined. Communities have seen become enlarged with people from third-world countries. What's more, said people usually do not speak English, or the language of whatever server they're using. This vastly decreases teamwork, if the game ever requires you to use it. To add even more fuel to the flame, these people are known for either cheesing the game or outright cheating, as if it weren't bad enough that they're shitty people to play with.
So my question to all of you is thus:
How do we deal with these third-worlders? It's obvious they aren't honest enough to stay in their own designated shitting server. Some video game developers even design their game so that it garners favor from third-worlders instead of their much more loyal and honest fans - one such example being anything by Blizzard and Dota 2.

Are you Blizzard or Valve? If not, then you can't do shit. Grow up.

be hostile to newcomers, don't dumb down the games for casuals and most importantly
check em

Make high skill a requirement to play while simultaneously not going F2P. If you're not a dev then you can make a nice guild/chatroom/containment zone/whatever place else about the game with a no faggotry policy and stick to there for discussion.

Free will is a myth. Religion is a joke.

the gay community

There is this thing though, some of us on certain countries don't have servers, a lot of Spanish-speaking Latin Americans would like to have their own HotS and OW servers for example, but Blizzard has decided to lump all Americas together, playing on Europe seems to be a whole messier though, French, German and other non-English there.

Still up to your old tricks Holla Forums?
This ain't >>>/cuckchan/ , i thought you would've learned your lesson the first time around

Funny you use a Christ-chan pick on the OP then proceed to bash foreign countries as the focus of the thread, are you one of those burgers that think outside US and Europe is just a sea of degenerates and savages despite everything bad on tech-related industries was caused by your people trying to expand demographics by fucking the core audience? This paradise where everyone works together never existed.

Funny you mention DotA2, I played since the war3 days and it was always a mess, nobody knew what they were doing and after two years of the valve game tryhardcucks like yourself started enforcing standards and no fun shit even on low level MM to the point it was a chore to play, no wonder I quit on that time, to me you are just a baddie that get fucked by brazillian mongrels barely trying and then you come here to complain how they are ruining your seriousbusiness video gaymes. kys for playing dota2

Third world countries aren't the issue as they've always been there. It's disagreement because everyone talks privately in a group. I get that we had teamspeak, but it's not accessible like disagreement.

Burgers made the connections to you guys and that's all. Euros and 3rd World shitters have some of the worst people online.

You blaming us for connecting the world and reaching out is basically shooting yourself in the foot. Mene mene tekel upharsin you jew, we connected with you and found your culture and attitudes wanting.

The paradise where everyone works together is known as America, and your countries suck so horribly that the people who could change it into something better said "fuck it" and came into our open arms. We made half the shit in your house, and we get China to make it for you.

some BRs are good people

Outside of America, Europe, and Japan yes, you are all a bunch of barbaric savages at best. Get used to it Pedro.

The only solution is to stop supporting blizzard & valve. We have to go full Atlas shrugged and let the valve & blizzard niggers drown in hues and xDs
Ayn Rand did nothing wrong.

What the fuck is that about connecting people, you weren`t benevolent when training the military of foreign countries so you can expand your own influence and you call me jew when your country has the biggest jewish colony in the fucking world.

This shit about working together is incorrect, USA isn`t a melting pot, the first fucking thing your immigrants did was to barricade themselves on their own communities and be hostile to other immigrants, not that is somethign wrong with that but call that "working together" is propaganda you sheep. Mixing some cultural aspects like food is something very recent but hey don`t blame yourself I know your school system sucks

No just outside the US.

How deluded can you get? Who here actually supports Blizzard and Valve, you think? You're preaching to the choir.

Fine. Australia and New Zealand. the statement is now correct.

The sad shit is that as white birth rates decline, soon you will be thinking everybody outside your city is a bunch of degenerate savages, then outside your town, then outside your neighborhood, then finally outside your house. But hey at least you will feel better than other until the end.

that is not true and you know it

Online games are dead. There is only pub-stomping.

please tell me you are just memeing

Keep up the good work and ignore the demoralizing agents. You're a true patriot.

He's not.

It's way better then whatever the fuck your countries were tiddling with all those years. 200 fucking years old, a country made up of people who made their own party with blackjack and hookers outdid every single one of you fucks in achievement and advancement. And the fact that you see all whites as the same only heightens how fucking dumb you are, we invited your geniuses to our country to convene and make life better for us and you got our tech after we traded.

And don't fucking play morality king with us, you fucks have done loads of horrible shit to eachother, not just in ancient times but fucking recently, seriously any atrocities we may have commited pales in comparison to the casual bullshit you do to your OWN people.

Hell, even our infamous love of weapon escalation led to peace, we created a bomb so fucking horrible that two countries who have it will never war with eachother directly due to fear of dual extinction, nuclear fucking deterrance has improved the lives of people around the world by FORCING people to come up with better solutions then your rote response of "steal the other guy's shit".

And our immigrants holing up in their own communities, at least we HAVE cultures like that, no one's wanting to come to your country for any reason, there's no future where you are.

Put up or shut up, be better then us or stay underfoot like the rats you are. You only have yourself and your politicians to blame. Be better and come back so you can lord it over us, and we'll compete for who gets the privledge to do so, you faggot.

They are honestly that retarded.

>yes yes goyim just close your eyes and your (((problems))) will go away

and how do they explain that reasoning?

Anyone who uses a Futurama reference is a fucking moron after John Dimaggio came out to be a pedophile.

user, I don't speak french, so I can't tell you

when everyone's already in line and happy, everyone's clean. Ethnic cleansing is just the Roman Coliseam spilling out into the streets, bread and circus bullshit to distract from the real parasites. Planted politicians. If you want to stop fucking around, know who's fucking up your country.

Weak talk for a bitch who can't deny my words.

Why didn't you joined the Serbs? Dagovo is a nice town, I was there in a vacation.

Helping the kebab was a side effect. The help was going to the Christian bosniaks who are basically either Croats or Serbs in denial.

I think that is something we can all agree on.

Explain.

the french were known to be passionate, not smart.

When do you think exactly "other countries" started building their own cultural identity? I don`t think you understand exactly why some colonies prospered and others did not, despite both having euros colonizing it. Also I did not played the morality card, you are responding to a response I made to a user going about how murica "connected the world" and how others fucked that up, I simply said that it wasn`t a benevolent thing despite what he believes.

The rest of your rant is just power tripping, the ironic thing is that you are so proud of a culture that is basically destroying itself and still don`t understand what I pointed out as an issue. You white burgers think yourselves to be a totally different race than whites in other countries, the fact that you don`t understand geography really hurts your perspective on this subject, fatty.

So are those Muselmani living in Bosna i Hercegovina Croatians then or what? I am wondering this since my Relatives refers to them that they are either Croatian or Serbian.

It's not like games these days encourage healthy communities either.
MMO's in particular would be hell of a lot better community wise if they were still same server/realm only and no dungeon finders or very basic like what WoW had early TBC where it was just a bulletin board.

Nope, they're "Bosnians", turk rapebabies squatting on Croatian and Serbian rightful clay. Although there's no such thing as Hercegovci, seeing as the population of Herzegovina is basically 55% Croat, they're mostly just Croats in denial.

user there is proving a point, then there is name calling.

Range bans, language filters, death threats.

I agree with the first two, but how would death threats work?
Also, I think banning based on system locale would work just as well.

The biggest problem is that social games aren't social anymore. Nobody talks anymore, nobody chats or co-operate anymore.

Stop giving a shit about "social" aspects of a game, start caring about the gameplay. Why the fuck is this even a thread?

A few times if I've played some shitty free game there has been some Russians going full vatnik teamkilling everyone who is not from the motherland, but that doesn't really stand out too much from the regular griefers those shitty free games have. Language has never been a problem in any descent game I've played tbh, and I've played online games on euroservers since 2001. Only thing I've noticed is that these days people use more and more some 3rd party apps like disagreement instead of using the in-game chat.

I think yanks are just too sensitive and get triggered immediately if someone writes something in another language, even if they're just casually saying hi to their countryman and switching back to English once they actually have something to say to everyone. Or maybe American servers just attract all the worst 3rd world shitheads or something.

Though a few weeks ago when I was playing some warcraft 3 I flamed some passionate frenchman a bit and he ended up sending me private messages for 3 days straight :D Something about my mother being a slut + *french, french, french* each time I logged in. Was pretty funny, would recommend.

A lot of mmorpg's in 2003-2008 were made in South Korea, and had huge exclusive Phillippinnes and SEA servers before coming to NA/EU. Most servers (different publishers per region) were segregated in that way. One of the guys who led our top NA guild in rf online was from the philipinno server and was a flip. He knew everything at NA launch and spoke decent english. He had a friend who played too but was a bit duller but still high lvl. There's no more unique, good mmorpg's to play though. And I surely don't have timw to grind 8-16 hours a day.

Why don't you check the state of Korean game developing went.l, and how it might have died. They spawned tons of good mmo's, unless I'm mistaking some with JP studios branching to SK.

t. someone who has never played a classic MMO or multiplayer game

I've always been a bit weary over associating with Soukos. Aren't they the niggers of Asia?

your couintry is being controlled by jews and they are shitting up your genepol. How can you be proud of that?

Reported.

Someone explain me the deal with croats, I have a serb friend who gave me some shitty list about what breeds of slav are okay and which aren't, croats is at the bottom of "not okay".

Yep, eat shit.

Reported for ban evasion.

create stereotypes
force them to look into the mirror

You deserve what is happening to you.

Not even close. South Korea has a ton of smart tech electronics / engr design phDs, and many are Christian. They were behind a lot of games. Japan>SK>China in terms of game design and all things tech, but China is probably #2 everything now, and maybe 1.

Jews > muslims > blacks = chinese > feminists/SJW > gay people

in order of threat

Chinese are quantity over quality but blacks are higher threat albeit lesser in numbers

I'm tolerant of any level of "lack of knowledge.' I'll always give advice. I will however, call you a retard for failing to retain that knowledge and continuing to make the same mistakes.

the us is also compromised

You want people to act nice and have fun? Stop adding consequences for losing. Ranking and stat tracking bring out the worst in people. You know the primary reason every ASSFAGGOTS game generates such cancerous individuals? Every one of them has a ranking system, and the vast majority play it exclusively. People get anxious, they get hostile when others make mistakes, and before you know it you have an army of spergs who get too invested. I've seen it sink its talons into friends and it's not pretty.

Just look at games before and after ladders. Compare CS 1.6 to CS:GO. The former was treated like a fun little diversion. It had friendly servers with custom maps, goofy mods that mutated the game rules, plugins that blasted low-bitrate Sandstorm in your ear. It was a joy to play with others. The people who played seriously could organize clan matches but most people just hopped on a server and scrimmaged with random people. Now it's a black hole of e-sports tryhards and skin merchants. Part of that is Valve's fault for aggressive monetization, but there's a reason TF2 items don't go for tens of thousands of dollars: People want the prestige of being on top. They want to be seen, they want to be acknowledged for the hours they put in perfecting their strats and spray patterns. They want to play dust2 for eternity, permanently in awe at its perfection in asymmetrical balance. Ranked matches preclude the possibility of custom servers and all that they entail. Players are now dependent on Valve for their pieces of flair to make them stand out and give them authenticity as a veteran player. They look for novelty in the same scenario over and over again, finding it only in peacocking with expensive skins or embracing the thrill of gambling with crates.

Even games without ranking systems attract this anxiety to perform. When you turn your game into a Skinner box and hide unlocks behind performance bonuses, you introduce consequence for playing like shit. People who get rekt are denied the dopamine hit of those sweet unlock points and it rattles them. They turn into slaves for that numerical feedback, not the joy of playing the game itself.

That's like saying "stop caring about the social aspects of an imageboard, just care about its design." Online games are made or broken by the community. Game design ties into that somewhat of course since it can be made to discourage (or even take advantage of) bad behaviour.

To repeat a point from that OW thread, online games now are multicultural shitholes. You don't get good co-op play with a team composed of 6 random people from different countries, with different languages, and different views, not to mention the issue of latency. Don't like it? Well unfortunately there's a dearth of games that allow you to host your own community as well, in part because of and that games like MMOs are very protective of their proprietary code.

I think the problem is that these games are built, from the ground up, to be competitive esports vehicles. In my opinion a multiplayer first and foremost has to be fun and enjoyable, and eventually a dedicated group of people will make it competitive or an esport. Trying to force it only creates a stale, boring game that feels like more an exercise in frustration rather than something you can unwind with for an hour or two.

It's an easy fix if game makers just either A) lock players in a specific region to the server for that region when playing online, or B) use the dedicated server model from earlier games and thus leave the issue of dealing with invasive foreigners to the server owners.
The fact that neither of these things happen really gets one thinking

No you fucking faggot, multiplayer should always be the extension of a single player game aspect. Shut the fuck up and staying in you gay ass "OW" thread or whatever the fuck that is.
Stop playing shitty games, end of rhine.

Introducing more players introduces social elements to a game, genius. Even in a game like Dark Souls where you don't speak to the other players, their actions speak loud and clear to you.

Thankfully, blocking IPs by region is now a thing.

Genuinely, playing Project Reality has given me a hate of spics and at least a mild dislike of russians. Without bothering to make a long autistic rant explaining myself, every single one is dumb as a fucking box of rocks and half are nigh unintelligible when speaking english and yet still hang around on American servers. Any guy who's played a bit knows about the slav helicopter-gunners or the one occasional pajeet who is dumb during the day, but when night comes around in Europe the last of the english-speakers go to sleep and the servers are fucking filled with that type of "people".

this

I'm obviously biased here, but the serbs are butthurt that they had the third strongest army in Europe at the time and lost a war to a bunch of peasants and dudes squatting on Yugos, armed with niggrigged PPSHs and tommy guns. The serbs always were pretty we wuz tier.

Well, to be fair, the problem is not solely the third world. Even in the first world the quality of players has vastly decreased. It's not because you are playing o a full American team that you aren't going to get a 12 year old and a random retard. Taking off consideration the language barrier, third worlders mostly tend to have some bad manners plus major technical problems when compared to first worlders. Computer games have become too mainstream. The kinds of people who are not fit for it have plagued the communities.
Simply saying all went wrong because of third world is trying not to see the entire problem.
give money please

Oh great the teamwork meme. Do you not understand that you can just solo, do your best and skill destroy your enemies?

hello SJW faggot

then ill be sure to pick you off from the flank while my entire squad laughs at you and captures the objective.

t. Creatura

Speaking of the community problem, the December Steam survey dropped, over 2/3 Chink

This 100%. You already had the obnoxious k/d whores back in the day, but you could just ignore them. Now people are making games specifically for these people and everything else has to take a backseat because big companies are trying to milk E-sports.

I'm struggling to find a simple FPS these days that I haven't already played to death or isn't a F2P pay to win shitfest if it's not some garbage e-sport/pubg clone trying to hop on the bandwagon.

uh huh

Among slavs only russians are so obsessed with Russian. Most other slavs are not like that.
Turkshits are also notorious for this and similar to brazilshitters and chinks.

Russians are the fags that refuse to speak English. They are full of themselves and think any slavic country is expected to know Russian.

Reported for ban evasion.

took them how many years?

wait milhouse is a meme now?

The Chinese are sub-human and it's an affront to call them otherwise. Should one of the yellow rats ever escape their shitty commie server, they should immediately be banned without question. They're like Brazilians, if BRR's ape brains were replaced with that of dogs.
And before you ask, No, I do not play Pubg. But the yellow menace from hell will slowly creep into every genera, it is every user's duty to keep the unwashed commie horde of dogs from hell away.

God bless Mao, the only thing he did wrong was not sending more stinky Chinks to satan to feast upon.

Sounds like they're only doing a favor here.

steam is shit but so are chinks

i can sympathize with your general idea but the way you present it suggests you are a moron

I agree. I've played on a team with all euro languages and we were able to find similarities in our languages and communicate enough to work out a strategy. My guild had quite a few members from nonwhite countries, but they could run dungeons and hold their own just like the Americans. The ones destroying communities are all the normies who were introduced to the internet through iPhone and introduced to memes through Reddit, probably right around OP's time estimate. I swear Guild Wars 2 would not have been complete shit if they had kept seeking community feedback from in-game player hub towns instead of beginning those fucking Reddit AMAs no original Guild Wars player even knew were happening.

I think no miracle would have been able to make GW2 not shit.

I hate spics with a searing passion but it's not just limited to them, though being NA I find them the worst to deal with.
"cut the tall poppy down" has so thoroughly pervaded american culture that success is discrimination, advice is toxicity, and sequestering yourself from it is elitism.
Spics on the other hand usually never have a grasp on the game mechanics, no matter what game, godawful hardware and latency, and doing whatever they want authority and wisdom be damned. The BRs have a term for this but it escapes me right now.
I also suspect that they're not as wont as the anglosphere to share their knowledge with guides and such, I see cyrillic guides, I see moonrune guides, I very rarely see spic guides and when i do they tend to be portuguese.

Hmm, maybe start by playing games that aren't trash

white liberal births

WoT isn't ranked and it's still full of shit