Indie game trash general

Other urls found in this thread:

macintoshgarden.org/games/the-odyssey
macintoshgarden.org/games/legendary-lair
spidweb.com/productsOld.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How about we talk about actual good indie games?
I mean fucking Subnautica came out recently and all you can do is make a second thread about this literally who game and Iconoclasts?

It's just Undertale for people who are scared of women. The "hero" is even a fat bald murdering junkie. The alt-right is probably going to nominate him for their next president.

Posts like this just make me want an upvote button.

Yeah fuck you too

those character sprites are just plain lazy

Most bootleg games have better sprite work. Being serious.

Kart Fighter is unironically one of the best 8-bit fighters out there, aside from the stellar NGP games by SNK.

Most bootleg Devs are probably more
Personal than western indie Devs unironically

That's…

Pretty good animation for an NES game. What year was it made? Like, was it a shitty 90's game or was it made recently?

Not as good as logan kart

damn, now that's impressive

Why would you make a massive chunk of the screen a higher resolution than the rest?

Makes a deep powerful statement somehow?

Retro-inspired is now just an excuse for these faggots to cover their lack of talent.

Yeah… That's a pretty shit design choice. I can't imagine it would be too hard to rig up a 16-bit looking font and redo the border in the same style. Doing the character portraits in pixel art style would take more effort but since they're hardly going for realism, it still wouldn't be difficult.

No excuse but developer laziness/stupidity, really.

What makes it indie trash though? Artstyle is lacking and the story was pretty ham-fisted but I thought the gameplay was solid. The ability to cling onto any surface gives a lot of freedom. I like it when games give me the ability to break them. Or at least the illusion of doing so.

This. 2D "retro-inspired" games are insipid and pretentious as fuck 90% of the time. The other 10% don't win "awards" or aren't cared about by the leftist "indie hip crowd". Not to mention, it almost always looks ugly and doesn't do 2D properly anyway. See: Metal Slug, etc for examples of good classic 2D art, with artists that fucking cared.

On a scale of shit to not shit, how are these?

Here, have the rest.

any of you guys played "Kindergarten"?

look it up on steam, i had a really fun afternoon playing that game from 0 to 100%, its a puzzle game, kind of.

Indie games are shit. Indie game sprite work should be renamed POZel art. And all art graduates should be legally banned from creating any video gaems. Also indie devs trying push complex morality and political shit should be shunned. All women in modern games also need big jugs and if you are an indie dev making a woman sprite with big jugs you have to put the white bit like on sonic 3 head to show the jugs are smooth, shiny and juicy.

That's almost as bad as the anime thing of making them blush.

mind you, i said look it up on steam to know what its about, don't you dare buy that crap, pirate it if you want to play it.

DYA Games has made some pixle art games that look pretty good and it's literally just 2 brothers making them.

It's just,two brothers,it's called two brothers

That looks like SubTerra.

Good, that's more or less what I was aiming for.

Looks comfy.

Indeed. It’s like filming a life in black and white and calling it deep

Fucking disgusting.

The DS had some nice "PS1 era" style 3D modelling at times; the screen quality limitations hampered the visual output quality though

of course it's going to look bad. You're using the wrong display and the wrong resolution. View it natively. This comparisons suck.

Well, as someone who somewhat followed the development of the thing I can say that wasn't done because the pixel artist wasn't so good with portraits as he was with the tile and sprite work, so they let the concept artist do those for a change. Since the portraits would be high res the dialog box and text should follow the same rules. To be clear, I'm not defending them, just clarifying.

I thought the gameplay was pretty fun
The rest of it was pretty trash tier outside some of the music.
The overuse of rumble got on my nerves too

Is that from Dark Souls of the Wild?

It never fucking fails.

True, the DS screen is indeed small and games for it were meant to be viewed at such lower dimensions, but from what I recall that image is also to highlight emulation options letting the actual models show much better on a computer screen, when you effectively remove the original screen limitation. And given the game that's from requires either a flash cart or emulation to play in English (as it never came west), I expect having the ability to improve the graphics for emulation is a plus to a lot of people, assuming it also doesn't make the games in question chug too much.

But the point being that some DS games could have nice modeling, just that the DS screen tended to render it in a way where detail was lost.

Well that really impresses me, I get the whole incestuous community and pandering thing, but perfect scores, those are supposed to be special even in their weird pattern of judging games. Seriously, I can even understand Gone Home in their own metrics, it's a walking simulator but it's a walking simulator with an heavy emphasis on environmental storytelling, a form of narrative that seems magical to these people since they don't play games at all.

But this one, it's a platformer, just another platformer, they played at least super meat boy, they supposed to have a reference, there's no explanation possible for perfect scores for this.

studio from 2nd pic already redeemed themselves, pic related. Also, what Last Door lacks in visuals they shine in sound design.

Fuck, posted video instead of pic.

Hate.

oh hey it's the Deer Ass game that that one user ranted about for like three hours.

Yeah that was a fun thread. Unfortunately I only have an atrocious PDF printout of it.

Is it just me or are faggots like him becoming more frequent recently?

is it just me or are faggots like you falling for the bait more frequently?

fucking trash indeed

you're not very smart.

wanna know how I know you're a virgin?

I never claimed to be, user.

Not a single redeeming quality.

What are you main complaints user

agreed, its pretty boring. also,

Agreed. It was short, repetitive, and it looks very ugly.

indie devs need to attempt modern games on old hardware instead of old games on new hardware.

I can't wait for this meme to die. There's nothing retro about pixel art or low poly models on their own. Those are techniques based on old technology, like sculpting or painting, but you won't find anyone calling their painting "retro" just because they use good old paint and brush like the artists of past did. Anyone who calls their pixelshit "retro" without actually trying to emulate original pixel art, in which case I wouldn't call it pixelshit because they're not lying should be called a greedy fucking liar, because that's what they are, liars for the sake of marketing.

bait

He's not a nigger, he's an alien.

Since it's on the topic of retroshit, do you anons think that Shovel Knight was an exception? Or is it not the diamond in the rough people claim it to be?

Holy fuck, well done user.

If you think about it, those feel more "independent" than western ones because they didn't give a fuck about copyrights held by mainstream industries. It reminds me of the how old independent movies used pirated music and footage from other films. It had a rough feel, but it ended up looking unique and passionately made.

Given where this came from, the baby's probably half nigger. 50% black = 100% guilty.

I love Affine Texture Mapping

Reviewers probably don't want to shit on smaller teams unless if they're given an acceptable target.

I was looking forward to Bot Vice and then completely forgot about it. I checked it on itch.io and it has a DRM-Free Linux build, so I'll give it a try. Thanks a lot user,

It was too hard for me.

What did they mean by making this shitheap

You're no different than the indie cucks you hate.

It is pixelshit, thats all you need to know.

There is no wrongdoing in a dying world.

Yeah, an alien nigger.

Step it up, user.

What game is this?

Celeste

It's a pretty gud platformer but it got really really good reviews from game journo sites for no reason

The difference between Shovel Knight and common pixelshit is that Shovel Knight tried to make a game in an old style using old limitations, while pixelshit does things in a way to hide the fact that they cannot make basic art assets.

The picture in the OP has characters designed to be simple to animate as opposed to looking good in it's style. It has text and character portraits in a complete resolution. The backdrop has no consistency, with painful mistakes such as the top layer of the suitcases being the surface (i.e. viewed from a slight angle) and are covered by stacking, but the objects on tables and counters are just floating above that. Some things are only understandable because you know what the setting is as opposed to being able to actually recognize it. If you didn't know it was a hotel, you wouldn't be able to recognize that those are keys behind the counter.

If you're playing a game that is ugly, inconsistent, and unrecognizable, it's pixelshit. Shovel Knight did not make these mistakes, along with a handful of good games. Pixelshit far outweighs these titles in number.

What is your opinion on incels?

That is not a bad thing. When you are working with a team of 1 or 2 or 4 people, making something that looks good is generally lower on the priority list than making something that works.

However, I would agree that the pic in the OP fails HARD in terms of consistency, which is more important than detail. If you want to do pixels, don't throw not-pixels in whenever you feel like it, stick with one artstyle unless you're doing some kind of avant garde thing where the contrasting styles ARE the style, like Boppin or The Magic Circle (both of which are deeply flawed, but very interesting games for completely different reasons).

I'm a big fan of a mobile game called To Arms. It's 100% pixels and quite frankly looks like crap. But I still love it because the graphics are not part of the experience. It's effectively a deck-building solitaire game with little pixel soldiers and workers instead of cards. So good animation and super-detailed character design are not important. What IS important is simple recognizably and visual clarity. Take a look at these sprites. Try to assign names to them. I'll bet you'll get more than a few of them right.

Here's the answer key:

Cleric Nun (with Nun-Chucks) Monk Paladin Skeleton
Gladiator Viking Barbarian Felinomad (ok you probably didn't get that one) Necro Guard (if you guessed something like Blackguard, that also counts)
Zombie Werewolf (this is probably the worst one in terms of art) Princess (I'd also accept Priestess) Sergeant Demon

See, there are tons of pixels but everything is still super recognisable. Plus, you can get a general idea of a unit just at a glance because they have consistent key features. Some of them hold weapons, so they're probably going to be helping you fight monsters. The ones with glowing eyes and monstrous appearances are generally enemies to be fought, not recruits for your army (the Felinomad being the only exception to this rule). The ones with pointy ears (except the werewolf of course) are elves, and will almost always have the elf feature of swiftness (which effectively means drawing extra cards). Later in the game, you'll see the mousefolk, which can clearly be identified with their mouselike features such as whiskers and rounded ears. Pirates are another faction that appears later, and they have easily identified pirate-like features such as eye-patches, cutlasses, and bandannas. The Viking is easily identifiable as such, and has the interesting feature of counting as both a pirate and a warrior; although it's not immediately identifiable as a pirate, it makes sense that it counts as one thematically. It IS easily identifiable as a warrior, and is fittingly introduced with the warriors and then slotted in with the pirates later.

See, it's things like this that separate functional "bad" art from simple garbage. The visual design is incredibly simple, but gets across every point it needs to get across. You'd never mistake any of these sprites for any of the others, and you can get a basic understanding of a unit by appearance alone. Simple game design choices make the visual features of these sprites stand out more, and give the player a good understanding of how to interpret them. It's not about how much EFFORT you put into your art, it's about how much THOUGHT you put into it.

It's inconsistent because they aren't working under any technical restrictions. It has to be self-imposed with a clear understanding of what the limits actually are and how to make things look good despite that. The OP demonstrates no such understanding, which is why you have the high-res textbox and portrait overlaying the game which shows no understanding of good art design, or adherence to a limit of a retro system. In its defense it's at least possible to tell what's going on and where you are but it still looks lazy and garbage. I can't actually see that with most of those examples you posted.

To see what happens when you do care, you only need to look at some classical VN screenshots, where they could only use 16 different colours, yet by using tricks like dithering and careful composition they can still produce some really colourful scenes. Or the Doom engine games which make do with 256 colours at a time throughout the entire game, and how each one tweaks the palette to match the visual theme of the game better: Heretic is grayer, Hexen is browner.

Here we go again, inb4 nintendo edit.

I wish people would make OC rather than posting those shitty halfchan wojaks.

tumblr nose where?

It's pretty good, but kind of a hot mess in terms of how much it throws at you.

oc from last night

Okay but,add an indie game you like on there.

hmm hotline miami ? that would be too obvious tho

What's the deal with the poop emoji in this? Is its meaning as dumb and obvious as I refuse to think?

Go deep or go homo

Oneshot and Dunderballs were too obvious and you still put them in

yes it is

by anons requests

what is the category for this list anyways? Games made by sjws or games with sjw in them, or pixelshit? Make up your mind, fag.

Anyone got the "what I thought it looked like" edit of this sprite? It had a duck for a head and a face on the chest I think.

it started as pixelshit but then I added other indie cancer too

Essential Soycore

user life is strange was made by a psudeo AAA company and published by squenix.

well they were close to bankruptcy after "remember me" so they werent really aaa back then

Still, they're far from indie. By that logic you could include nu deus ex or whatever ubisoft has made this month.

Remember Me was made by Capcom not Squenix you dumb shit.

Same studio, Dontnod. Published by Capcom.

Aw shit I didn't know Capcom made Life is Strange.

Nice
Fuck

oh wait did the devs go from remember me to making life is strange.

Turns out I was the Dumb shit the whole time.

you are still an okay guy, peter

I think would have worked better

i like stardew valley and this image hurts my feelings

In case anyone's stupid enough to buy this, it's a shoop from some user obsessed with abortions.

Shit, their library is growing.

It really does make you feel like your eyes are busted, doesn't it?

nigger where the fuck have you been? You can go onto the front page of steam and see a bunch of fucking retarded games, hell I can name six more not on the list right now
The Walking Dead
Night in the Woods
Every fucking twine game
Staxel
Yooka Laylee
Chroma Squad

only two/three games on that list are arguable, and one of those two isn't even successful.

It's because it's made by the same guy who made Towerfall Ascension, which featured a Totally Not Anita character. I haven't looked any further than that but my gut tells me he's basically in with the game journalists.

which

All those games have something in common and appeal to a certain demographic. Its clearly not "every" successful indie title.

Look at this

Yeah, the thing they have in common (except for Oneshot, not sure why that's on there) is that they're popular to shit on. I don't even like most of the games on that list, but it's dishonest to pretend there's any connection other than them all being indie games and them all being fairly unpopular with Holla Forums.

Oneshot is another epic 4th wall breaking meme game.

starjew valley is published by chucklefuck but other than an anti-corporate/monoply message and horrendous artstyle there's nothing wrong with it other than it attracting soyboys.

tumblrtale is arguable as it does have some arguable sjw messages but that game attracted everyone and not just numales, you wouldn't but breath of the wild dispite it also having a large amount of sjw types attracted to it. Other than the artstyle this one doesn't really belong.

oneshot has no sjw bullshit in it and it's artstyle isn't pixelshit, it's an RPGmaker game and runs at like 800x600, it's pixel perfect, not pixelshit.

It doesn't look like an actual in-game screenshot, but rather some fan-made image.
Frankly, the more I look at this image, the closer I get to having a fucking stroke. Look at the wall. It has lighting affecting it, fair enough. But then there's the items to the left and the right that AREN'T affected by the lighting at all, meaning that they had no actual lighting in-engine, and just lightened the background up in Photoshop.
The outlines make no sense too. The characters have a black one, and the items on the left have dark ones too, vaguely similar to the original Paper Mario. But then look at the desk in the middle, and the things to the right - no outlines at all. It's inconsistent and just fucking disgusting.
And they dare charge money for this drivel, holy fucking shit.

Well, that's not surprising, it's RPG Maker
r-right?

Nice buzzword. Most of those games don't even break the fourth wall, so that's not a connection. And "meme game" means what exactly? It's popular? You already said that's not the connection. It has memes in it? I would debate that, Oneshot never had any memes in it.

nigger it doesn't pretend like it has any power outside of your computer, it's 4th wall done right. It uses it as a mechanic rather than a gimmick, with puzzles relying on breaking the 4th wall instead of just "ooOOOOo I pretended to close your game!!"

woah dark souls for the switch got a really nice texture pack

What.

It's an official port of FFVI by the Bravely Default devs.

Meme game means mostly Youtuber bait with cartoonish characters prone to fanart and sometimes 4th wall breaking.

Its a boring RPG Maker snoozefest with a stupid gimmick and crappy pixel art.

some fags interpreted it as anti-capitalist instead of anti monoply and call it sjw because of that, should've specified that.

The only thing fun about juanshot was killing the furshit.

So, 'popular'. Gotcha. I'm sure glad everything that isn't bland colourless garbage that's boring to watch is now discarded as a "meme game".

Couldn't have said it better myself. A game being appealing to a certain audience doesn't mean it's bad, or that one can't enjoy it themselves. It's shit like this that makes people think Holla Forums is one goddamn person, there's so many fucking sheep on this board that are constantly clawing to be the biggest hipster and they all bandwagon so readily. It's childish.

I didn't imply that, just that games that comply with most of those are more easily prone to be such. Are you just butthurt that Oneshit is on that list or what?

It's hilarious when redditors like this guy here show up, act all sanctimonious and asshurt whenever their favorite game is so much as poked fun at. You aren't fooling anyone in thinking you belong here or on any imageboard.

That's an awful metric and you know it. By that measure literally any classic and popular game is a "meme game". Seriously, look at how much fanart Ocarina of Time has, look at how many insufferable Let's Plays there are, and it is a very cartoon-y game. Is that a "meme game"? It's a nonsense term that has no concrete definition, it's just another way to say something is "shit" and dismiss it.

Here's your (You), enjoy the rest of the school year.

I would say yes, its popularity and cult status has spread on a memetic way.

That's my point exactly, it's just another way of saying it's popular. That can't be the only common link to hate on something or it's just being a hipster. If you genuinely hate all the games on that image, more power to you. I don't care what you do and don't like. I'm just opposed to linking them all together blindly and pretending there's a special connection unique to only them. That's the same kind of logic lefty's use when determining what's "problematic"

nigger it's a fucking story based puzzle game of course it's boring, is openttd boring because it's just trains and money management? Is aurora4x boring because it's a fucking spreadsheet simulator?
I thought this was a list for indie cancer that attracts numale hipsters, not games I don't like.
If you're going to continue with this why not add Hollow Knight or Cuphead, they're popular and attract numales, as well as "youtube bait" whatever the fuck that means.

Get the fuckout, you normalfag scum.

Sdob bully bls

Use Yalp Store to download it, user.

If you can't or don't want to draw, why hide behind retro graphics, instead of just making ugly but clear normal-rez graphics? The above screenshots, for instance, are some typical 1-person Mac shareware games (good ones IMHO) from the pre-"indy" era. There were lots of pretty shareware games back then as well, but if a dev couldn't or chose not to draw, they didn't get all pretentious about it, and taking full advantage of the hardware offered greater visual clarity than pixel art could've.

Also
That's a pretty high bar to bother with when distinguishing pixelshit, considering most fall facefirst into stereotypical points an image bot could notice:

Because if you have no art skills, you can still make pixels that look at least presentable. If you don't use pixels, you'll probably end up with something that looks like a goddamn 4th grader drew it. Some games can get away with that (Kingdom of Loathing comes to mind) but most can't.

Here's a chart to clarify. Now obviously this doesn't take the actual design elements into consideration, only the tools, but you get my point, right?

Notice her shirt m8

I wish. Neither of these games are anything over above average in graphics but they looked clean. They looked nice.
Compare that to butcher(third image) a

Sure, but I think there's an uncanny valley-type effect in play with pixelshit, so the gains it makes over catscratches are questionable. Also, there's the giant gap in visual clarity of any but very carefully crafted pixel art, which is far more important for something interactive like games.

Maybe a similar comparison would be the way how console devs (especially during the darkest days of late 7th-gen) have been targeting 600p24 no AA with 10 frames engine latency, because they think graphical doodads are more important than playability. On the opposite extreme, there is a popular current among competitive gamers to use potatovision graphical settings even for ancient games like Quake III, because it reduces visual clutter and increases visibility.

To be clear, I'm not some sort of anti-graphics fag, but if your choice is between mildly appealing pixelshit, and crystal clear autistic toddler scribbles, the choice seems simple.

my basketball american

Time to download sheepshaver again it was the only time i've ever owned a mac and i didn't pay for it

But that requires actual effort.

macintoshgarden.org/games/the-odyssey
macintoshgarden.org/games/legendary-lair
Exile's dev is still in business, and the original Exile trilogy is even available fully registered for free:
spidweb.com/productsOld.html
Though if you want the original versions with the pre-Realmz graphics, you can get those at Macintosh Garden.
It's amazing that modern indy games are so bloated and badly written, their performance, system requirements, portability, and forward-compatibility are actually worse than homebrew written for old microcomputers or consoles running in an emulator.

DS didn't have texture filtering, but it did have perspective correct texture mapping.

Who here playing Wasted Potential or Wasted Potential 2: Space Boogaloo?

Chip's Challenge/10

its not google play the problem. Is that I'm on the jew fruit store

Damn that subtle

The only thing I remember from Cortex Command was crab bombs.

i don't get it

FOURTEEN YEARS OF EARLY ACCESS

Here

It's amazing that what should be the hard, time consuming, expensive part aside from good AI (programming an engine, drawing art, etc.) was finished almost immediately, but what should've taken maybe a week tops (creating an SP campaign, balancing object/bunker prices, turning money into a real mechanic) never actually happened.

it would look decent if it didn't have bloom out of the ass that made every other phase impossible to play without getting an epileptic attack

HOW.

Soy's one hellova drug.

THE SPRITES DON'T EVEN HAVE FACES

but that game is fun

Welcome to Pixelshit Valley, California.