Etrian Odyssey (3DS)

I'm planning to get Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan but there seems to be other games too.

Which one should i get as a newcomer to the series?

It doesn’t matter. Start where you want on this series.

1 is said to be dated
2 is okay
3 is most recommended

not really connected to one another, though, so play what you want first. but play 1 first if you plan to go through all games

Do not play the untold version of 2. Untold 1 is okay untold 2 has DLC out the ass with half maps cut just to be resold as DLC

e-tree-an odyssey or eht-ree-an odyssey?

The latter.

Nah it's the former.

IV is a great place to start. 2, 3, U1 and 5 are good picks after you played through 4.

IV is a great place to start, don't worry about the rest before playing through that.

4 is probably the most different of them all, but it's still good. None of the other games have a world map, though 3 has a somewhat similar ocean exploring aspect that is mostly optional. 1 is really dated and you can play classic mode in Untold 1 for a generally improved version of it, but you'll be missing general gameplay improvements like faster movement speed and such if you go back to older games after that. Stay away from Untold 2, which is pretty shit for many reasons. Unfortunately they really, really want you to play the god awful story modes in both remakes, to the point where all the new content in Untold 1 is locked behind story mode and the strongest weapon for a classic mode class can only be gotten from story mode. Regardless, story modes are shit and don't fit the games at all.

You can play them in pretty much any order you want aside from that, but going backwards tends to be a pain because of all the quality of life changes like movement speed, respec penalties (10 levels in 1, now just 2 levels since 3 or 4) and skill info. Speaking of which, this is a series where using a guide or skill sim is practically a must, as the games unfortunately give you very little insight. Earlier games in particular had extremely unhelpful skill explanations, or in some cases outright misleading. It's gotten better with time but you still want to check a guide to see exact stats, mechanics and skill interactions.

Turn off the fucking voice acting in any that have it.

IV

if money is no object why shouldn't I play untold 2

Aside from that, it has horrible balance.

If money is no object your time still is, and should be spent with any different game in the series.

Untold 2 has a lot of great ideas, and improves a lot over the original Untold. If you can pirate and love the series do so. Don't make it your first EO though. The biggest problem with Untold 2 is the awkward enemy HP scaling, making you forced to use cheese strats to kill enemy boss sponges. Also a lot of the bosses have the same gimmick of "uses summons of some sort that have to be defeated in x turns before party wipe attack is used".

Three is best in the series but four is a good entry point.

EOV is better than EOIV, the game isn’t locked behind DLCs like some people thought.
I’ve been pretty successful with this team on hard mode:

I disagree, EO5 often takes one step forwards, two steps back. Some mechanics are improved but there are a few really annoying things they didn't think to fix [like the town music starting over every time it's interrupted instead of continuing where it left off, something they managed to do in the DS games for fuck's sake].

The food system is clunky and hard to use through dialogue menus, they gutted the world map which makes it a lot less adventurous and "big"-feeling. The quality of life changes contribute a lot, but at the end of the day I still like 4 a lot more. also there are like no lolis in EOV. what the fug.

Interested and slightly worried to see where the series goes, and if it survives past the end of the 3DS.

Kill yourself my man.

Oh fuck this autist I hope you get cancer of the throat and die

Stay mad, EOP.

How pathetic.

I hated that airship thing from 4.

EOP
O
P

on one hand 4 has a lot of QoL upgrades that a new player might like
on the other hand, playing 1/2/3 after playing 4 wil feel slightly dated
truthfully theres only one bad place to start and thats untold 2

I finished EO1 100% but it was a complete chore. I recently started EO2 and cleared the first stratum. I was expecting people would mourn the Beowulf guys a bit more. There's like only the Guild Guard that says something like "Oh yeah, we had this guild named Beowulf. Had." and that's it. Seriously what the fuck.

One of the themes of Etrian Odyssey is how the Labyrinth is a deadly place, a lot of people really die in there, and they usually aren't remembered for it.

Yeah, I know but I thought people would remember semi important NPCs. I remember the bar NPC in the first game commenting Renin and Tchexer were well known (despite being either nonchalant or shit).
Beowulf's protector was a pretty nice guy who helped out newbies, he trained beasts which was considered an oddity, and the dukedom placed them in high esteem.
It just feels unnatural for them to go forgotten so quickly. If anything I thought the bar dude would say a few words.

That's because the Hexxer and the Ronin were the furthest reaching explorers until the Player Party.

Good games, super comfy before bed

don't listen to the fags, 2 Untold is much better than the original which has many horrible ideas like FOEs not giving ANY experience. 2 Untold also has a fun as fuck Force mechanic and classes aren't as unbalanced as in the original (Protector walls work on random chance, the "reliable guy". Really stupid.) In Untold 2 everyone can pull their weight when you put some thought into party comp. The expert game is for advanced players though and one should try EOIV first.

I enjoyed 1 and specifically 2, then the utter sameyness of every single game just got to me. Couldn't handle 3 or 5 for more than a few hours, it's literally the same reskinned game with map packs and pointless time-wasting pseudo-overworld crap added. The pedo shit didn't help either.

What I'm saying is just pick the very best (3 I guess), you might be really EO'ed out after that.

You won't be laughing when they hired Ashley Burch

Just getting into this and it seems they all have english dubs is this the same for the european releases? Will I have to download the jpn versions alongside the usa releases and undub them myself?

People will tell you that the first game is horribly dated but I think they're overstating it. I played the games in release order and found EO1 to be a perfectly good game in its own right. It's the weakest of the non-remakes, but it's still by no means a bad game.
And as others have said, it's hard to go back to 1 after the polish of the later games.

Just turn the voices off you dong, EO works better without them. You're supposed to fill in the gaps in chatacterisation with your imagination.

which etrian odyssey has the best story and/or characters, including spinoffs

4 is a good entry point, it's not quite as tough as the earlier games and it has all the iterative quality of life improvements rolled into it. It might be harder to go back and play 1 and 2 if you start at 4, but you can get around that somewhat by playing the Untold remakes, though they have some issues of their own.

世界樹の迷宮

bump for this

(checked)
(checked)
Probably 4 but you don't play these games for the story.

3 for both.

Best jewfu.
But as people have said, if you're playing EO for the story you're doing it wrong.

No shit Sherlock, how did you figure that one out?

Play them in release order or else it will be hard to go back to the older ones.
Avoid Untold.

4 is possibly the worst one as far as story goes, barring the Untolds of course, because the villain and everything once he shows up is godawful. It's literally "we're stopping you from doing bad thing to save the world, but we have absolutely zero other plans to save the world but it will be ok because of the power of friendship".

Untold 1 is fine as long as you turn off voices and stick to expert classic. Grimoire RNG and story locked bullshit is dumb as hell but it doesn't really outweigh general mechanical improvements and speed. EO1 was unfortunately really, really poorly balanced and it's both caused and solved by bugs like Immunize.

I do appreciate 5 dialing back the story for mainline EO to focus more on the dungeon crawling.

True, it had few points where they forced you to go back to town. That one on floor 10 was really stupid though.

Great, it's you again. You know that everyone else considers you a fuckwit, right?

4 is a good start, but it's kinda easy, start with 3 and then 4, 1, 2 and lastly 5. Untold 1 is fine.

Sad little man.

Cease your autism.

It didn't bother me personally since I prepped for Hippogryph after talking to Lili. I knew that doors in the entire series leading to the boss always has a message of some kind saying if you want to continue or go back to two so you can prepare.

*town

It's as if you think I give even an iota of a shit about the jeers from trash. Keep hemming, hawing, and braying, you pathetic animal.

Voice acting is only a net positive for the game. Seiyuu are the best and they will never ever stop being a part of the franchise. Praise Atlas for having the foresight to revolutionize the series with their conclusion.

Ok retard, would you prefer it if I repeated what the idiot always gets in response? Fine, here you go: voice acting is a direct contradiction of the entire idea behind the series; they specifically mentioned that not having the characters talk was deliberate. They only added it to get those sweet, sweet wider audience shekels with zero regard for how it affected quality.

That better, faggot? Do we have to play this game every time that one jackass shows up?

Yes, because I'm right. Since you did me the favor of putting out your tired, pathetic argument, I'll return the favor by destroying it yet again.

Not only are voices entirely optional, but like it or not, seiyuu are a big draw for any sort of game in the modern world. By including them alongside other customization options, Atlas is better able to hit markets that would otherwise never think about the game (or so the thinking goes.) Both the autistic screeching retards (MUH HEADCANON) such as yourself, and people who want a slightly more customized and relateable experience are pleased. The spirit behind the games development is harmed in no way, they hit a larger marketshare and make more money leading to further titles, that beautiful lady Hayami Saori gets dinner on the table, and all is win-win.

I'll repeat it, since we both know you're that stupid. Voices are entirely optional. They are objectively only a net-positive to the games, and there ain't jackshit your whining is gonna do to change that. Stay mad.

Hahahahaha you are actually mad, how sad little man.

Stop

Let's instead talk about why spooky classes are the cutest.

Anyone have an infograph on EO? or should i just go blind?

Go in blind, start with 3 if possible, though 4 is also a good starter choice.